Munster Thread 2012-2013

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Munster Thread 2012-2013

Post by Dave Cahill »

Degz wrote:I have to say, Downey could be worth a run in the Autumn. Seems to always make the gainline. Also thought Paul Marshall was very good tonight, and Ian Keatley kicked well and managed the game pretty well, despite one or two poor decisions. Gilroy needs to start for the Nordies.
Downey is a brainless bosh merchant.
I have Bumbleflex
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Degz wrote:I have to say, Downey could be worth a run in the Autumn. Seems to always make the gainline. Also thought Paul Marshall was very good tonight, and Ian Keatley kicked well and managed the game pretty well, despite one or two poor decisions. Gilroy needs to start for the Nordies.
Bit harsh. Picked some good lines tonight.

Obviously, he'll never be a ball player. And he's pushing on age wise. We don't have a plethora of 12s in this country though.
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

I thought Conor Murray was superb as usual. Once again showing why he's the number one scrum-half in the country. His speed to the breakdown and one motion pass back to ROG for the winning drop goal before the Ulster defence could set was so good, I have to confess that I didn't even see it. I thought it was the right option to take it through the forwards several times when they were on the 22 also, regardless of it resulting in them being back on the 10 metre line after.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Was at the under-20 Interpro at Donnybrook but had this recorded and went to great lengths not to get the score. Normally when this happens I end up fast-forwarding through a really boring match.

Not this one, it was a f**king cracker, a proper inter-pro with real intensity!

I did notice that ROG.T.E. were at their usual schtick. Keatley had probably the game of his career, but for them, it was all about ROG and why he didn't get a drop goal chance at the end.

Penney's plan is taking shape, but if he wants it to work, he'll have to make a gutsy call and leave ROG on the bench cause he doesn't have the pace or physicality to play it. And if Keatley is kicking this well (from the tee and from hand) then what is ROG really for?

Munster fans.....discuss! :D :D
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Donny B. wrote:Was at the under-20 Interpro at Donnybrook but had this recorded and went to great lengths not to get the score. Normally when this happens I end up fast-forwarding through a really boring match.

Not this one, it was a f**king cracker, a proper inter-pro with real intensity!

I did notice that ROG.T.E. were at their usual schtick. Keatley had probably the game of his career, but for them, it was all about ROG and why he didn't get a drop goal chance at the end.

Penney's plan is taking shape, but if he wants it to work, he'll have to make a gutsy call and leave ROG on the bench cause he doesn't have the pace or physicality to play it. And if Keatley is kicking this well (from the tee and from hand) then what is ROG really for?

ROG is just back, he'll adapt, probably. Even Donncha O'Callaghan has shown signs of adapting. Keatley is playing well.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Is he physically capable of adapting though to a game where he'll actually be regularly be asked to take a flat line and take a ball into contact?

Or will he just start booting the ball into the corners and hope that Penney won't have the balls to take him off?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I really enjoyed that game too. Trimble should be behind Gilroy Imho. that was my first look at Allen.

muster defended very well and were more than the sum of their parts.

did not see Ulsters 1st 2 games. but heard Williams was decent.

par for the course. good games then utter chyte.

ferris very quiet.

was impressed with Laulala. touch of class. wasted in cardiff. bit like me in May 11.

uster scrum very serious looking.

had to laugh when donal described it as slightly better. still really like him though. he gives praise where it is due and is much less one eyed than any of us would be in a similar situation.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

And can I just say once again....George Hook.... what a c**t!

At half-time, when Keatley's had a stormer "Get O'Gara on to give them an edge".

You'd swear ROG was his lovechild or someth..................oh my God.........it all suddenly makes sense!!!!!
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Donny B. wrote:
*Donny lights fuse, legs it*
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

ceemec wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
Jaysus where's Apoxacacrpahruahaayrhcyrysyca or whatever his name is when you need him when you're looking to enjoy a good bout of turnip-infighting? :roll:
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Donny B. wrote:
ceemec wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
Jaysus where's Apoxacacrpahruahaayrhcyrysyca or whatever his name is when you need him when you're looking to enjoy a good bout of turnip-infighting? :roll:
Probably mf.com
This is unusual territory for Munster. A moral victory in defeat.

Still a long way to go, but there were some good signs there.
bgclaw
Bookworm

Post by bgclaw »

Dave Cahill wrote:
There you go with the name calling again.
As for Downey he should fit into Uncle Declans plans perfectly.

Kilcoyne really impressive in the loose,tough night in the scrums but he has great potential.
Just impressed with the overall game and fitness levels .
Congrats to Ulster better team on the night.
Good to see P Jackson play well, nailed the last penalty under pressure.
Building nicely to the aviva.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

bgclaw wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
There you go with the name calling again.
As for Downey he should fit into Uncle Declans plans perfectly.

Kilcoyne really impressive in the loose,tough night in the scrums but he has great potential.
Just impressed with the overall game and fitness levels .
Congrats to Ulster better team on the night.
Good to see P Jackson play well, nailed the last penalty under pressure.
Building nicely to the aviva.
Paddy Jackson is going to play in England? :shock:
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

He's getting three million to play. Well up to three million anyway.

That was a cracking match and a decent result for both teams. Great to see Keatley not being hauled off to allow Roig to boot the ball away. I wouldn't bet against him adapting and playing better than he did last night. He and Murray were awful. I really enjoyed the contrast between that and most Irish derbies.

Donners has been shockingly good this year. There was only a dispute bout that scrum penalty when Horan dodged Afoa on RTE, and I disagree: that yellow was probably a good option as they got away without a try. Fantastic play with 14 men.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

That was a cracking game last night, fair play to both sides.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Dave Cahill wrote:Downey is a brainless bosh merchant.
You are right, but ................. there is always room for a decent one of those in the 12 channel every now and then.

Offers an alternative. Wouldnt dismiss him out of hand.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

As a munster fan i was very impressed with that performance, that was munster minus poc, ryan, pom, jones and with stander. At this stage of the season i am very optimistic about our chances of being in the knockouts in both competitions. Doc seems to be laying down a marker, he looks very fit and is playing really well.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

munster#1 wrote:As a munster fan i was very impressed with that performance, that was munster minus poc, ryan, pom, jones and with stander. At this stage of the season i am very optimistic about our chances of being in the knockouts in both competitions. Doc seems to be laying down a marker, he looks very fit and is playing really well.
I don't think anyone ever questions DOC's fitness more his decision making and liability, he thinks rashly and be a liability for penos
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Oh, he's often enough looked short of energy, just enough to trot around looking for fights and not enough to make an impact in play. Particularly during interpros. This season he's been full of energy and really putting himself about. That way he can concentrate on playing and is hugely better for it.

Andrew Trimble on the other hand seems to have taken up the job as fightstarter at interpros. His own team should knock some sense into him. He probably thinks he's getting his game face on. In fact he's just acting like a dick and being a liability.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

fourthirtythree wrote: Andrew Trimble on the other hand seems to have taken up the job as fightstarter at interpros. His own team should knock some sense into him. He probably thinks he's getting his game face on. In fact he's just acting like a dick and being a liability.
Yes, there's a player who's gone backwards pretty rapidly
AKA Peter O'Sullivan