Munster Thread 2012-2013

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Big-alster
Bookworm

Re: Munster Thread 2012-2013

Post by Big-alster »

Donny B. wrote:Was at the under-20 Interpro at Donnybrook but had this recorded and went to great lengths not to get the score. Normally when this happens I end up fast-forwarding through a really boring match.

Not this one, it was a f**king cracker, a proper inter-pro with real intensity!

I did notice that ROG.T.E. were at their usual schtick. Keatley had probably the game of his career, but for them, it was all about ROG and why he didn't get a drop goal chance at the end.

Penney's plan is taking shape, but if he wants it to work, he'll have to make a gutsy call and leave ROG on the bench cause he doesn't have the pace or physicality to play it. And if Keatley is kicking this well (from the tee and from hand) then what is ROG really for?

Munster fans.....discuss! :D :D
Hmm looks to me that you're just as bad as RTE. Munher, Munher, ROG, ROG etc.

What about the winners and star performances from a 20 YO flyhalf and fullback?

As for the comments R.E Andrew Trimble, he was good enough, some outstanding tackles and was harshly penalised for trying to get the ball of Hurley, although RTE went to town on it. :roll:

I thought Luke Marshall was decent for a 21 YO 12.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Big-alster wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Was at the under-20 Interpro at Donnybrook but had this recorded and went to great lengths not to get the score. Normally when this happens I end up fast-forwarding through a really boring match.

Not this one, it was a f**king cracker, a proper inter-pro with real intensity!

I did notice that ROG.T.E. were at their usual schtick. Keatley had probably the game of his career, but for them, it was all about ROG and why he didn't get a drop goal chance at the end.

Penney's plan is taking shape, but if he wants it to work, he'll have to make a gutsy call and leave ROG on the bench cause he doesn't have the pace or physicality to play it. And if Keatley is kicking this well (from the tee and from hand) then what is ROG really for?

Munster fans.....discuss! :D :D
Hmm looks to me that you're just as bad as RTE. Munher, Munher, ROG, ROG etc.

What about the winners and star performances from a 20 YO flyhalf and fullback?
With the tragic breaking news about Nevin Spence, think silly squabbles are inappropriate. :(
Last edited by Donny B. on September 15th, 2012, 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

fourthirtythree wrote: Andrew Trimble on the other hand seems to have taken up the job as fightstarter at interpros. His own team should knock some sense into him. He probably thinks he's getting his game face on. In fact he's just acting like a dick and being a liability.
Bit harsh on him. He wasn't great but he stood up when needed. When Ulster were under pressure and creaking he put in two massive hits, hurting himself making one. He forced a knock on and killed the opposition attack dead. Not a vintage game but not awful, I feel. The fight stuff was more Hurley than him. Hurley was upset after the massive tackle. Minutes later he grabbed AT by the scruff off the ball and pulled him back. Trimble lashed out and proper order. The second one was Hurley taking the ball away and popping it over the hoardings to keep it away from Trimble. He got a little shove. I've seen referees give penalties for throwing the ball into the crowd before. That was a brutal call.
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Incredibly harsh comment there. Trimble was up for this game..wouldn't fault him. A number of very important tackles (ball and all) made. Denis Hurley seemed to be out to wind him up. Held him back at one point in front of the touch judge
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

ceemec wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote: Andrew Trimble on the other hand seems to have taken up the job as fightstarter at interpros. His own team should knock some sense into him. He probably thinks he's getting his game face on. In fact he's just acting like a dick and being a liability.
Bit harsh on him. He wasn't great but he stood up when needed. When Ulster were under pressure and creaking he put in two massive hits, hurting himself making one. He forced a knock on and killed the opposition attack dead. Not a vintage game but not awful, I feel. The fight stuff was more Hurley than him. Hurley was upset after the massive tackle. Minutes later he grabbed AT by the scruff off the ball and pulled him back. Trimble lashed out and proper order. The second one was Hurley taking the ball away and popping it over the hoardings to keep it away from Trimble. He got a little shove. I've seen referees give penalties for throwing the ball into the crowd before. That was a brutal call.
If McCormish hadn't rushed into to give Hurley a few digs, Trimble & Ulster would not have been penalised. Hard to ignore the melee that ensued and that was why Trimble got punished. On reviewing the video, he should have told Trimble & Hurley to calm down and yellow carded McCormish for being 3rd man in.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

By the sounds of things john ryan has been very impressive for london irish, and may even be offered a contract. I hope his loan gets extended out till the end of the season, with bj, archer and condon we should be fine without him while he gains valuable experience. With kilcoyne looking like a serious prospect, munster look set in the prop department for the next few years
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

Cracking game and I'm pretty happy with that performance. Expected Ulster to win comfortably but our pack stood up well given the number of lads missing.

Back row were immense. The difference in our play when Coughlan had to go off just showed how well he was playing. He is hugely effective.

Back line was good in the first half but lost their shape in the second. Kicked the ball away a bit too much.
We're all red on the inside.
bgclaw
Bookworm

Post by bgclaw »

coughlan out for up to 8 weeks (groin tear)
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

bgclaw wrote:coughlan out for up to 8 weeks (groin tear)
Deadsite says that "contrary to media reports" he won't know how long until tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
bgclaw
Bookworm

Post by bgclaw »

Munsterboy wrote:
bgclaw wrote:coughlan out for up to 8 weeks (groin tear)
Deadsite says that "contrary to media reports" he won't know how long until tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
I agree hopefully he gets back asap,munster lost a bit grunt when he went off last week,been 1 of munsters best players for the last 3 or 4 seasons and i think if he had stayed on he could have been the difference in the result.
At the same time i think munster rushing players back is a thing of the past(thank god)let him and POC have all the time they need there is more than enough cover in munsters 4/5/6/7/8.(3/2/1 when i think of it aswell)
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

The munster squad is very strong this year, we have serious depth in nearly all positions, the backrow and back line will be a serious headache to pick. The most amazing thing is the speed of progression, i was full sure that it would take a hell of a lot longer for this group of players to adapt.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
kendalgerty
Graduate

Post by kendalgerty »

Easy tiger. Very early days yet and all the big games are still ahead. Things certainly look good, but who's going to make the big carries with Coughlan out injured? Lack of ball-carrying heft still looks an issue in the pack.

Key to the whole operation looks to be Casey Laulala. Fantastic footballer. Whatever about Keith Earls' happiness index, Munster have got themselves a good 'un there.
http://whiffofcordite.com/ - Whiff of Cordite - The Rugby Nerd's Blog
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

munster#1 wrote:The munster squad is very strong this year, we have serious depth in nearly all positions, the backrow and back line will be a serious headache to pick. The most amazing thing is the speed of progression, i was full sure that it would take a hell of a lot longer for this group of players to adapt.
M#1, you make this same comment every season. This time last year you were telling us Munster had turned a corner and were looking good for the coming season. Hold fire! It's mid September and nothing is done at this time. Munster were 4/4 this time last year. The HEC has always been and always will be the test against which teams will be measured in this country.

The depth is no different to other years but the age profile has lowered. Some young players are getting more game time but Munster are still one injury away from having Duncan Williams, Dave Kilcoyne or Stephen Archer starting in the HEC. The back row is hard to pick because there's no established unit. There's a glut of very promising players but very little with respect to reliable HEC options which is the only time we'll really know how good they are. It's going to be the most interesting season for Munster since 2009 but I'd hold off on the declarations until Christmas.
bgclaw
Bookworm

Post by bgclaw »

Id love to see kilcoyne and archer start HC game,i know 1 swallow dont make it summer but i think munster fans are optimistic.
There is the bones of a good team there the players just need game time.
Hopefully the front row for the dragons will be Kilcoyne,Sherry and Archer.
I think with coughlan on the sidelines POM will be able to hold his own as will Stander if the reports are accurate.
Penneys biggest headache will be picking his best 15.
Murray/Williams
ROG/Keately
Kilcoyne/WDP
Varley/Sherry
LLL/Earls
LOD/Zebo etc etc
I think the only shoe in for the HC is Howlett AND DRyan.After those 2 your guess is as good as mine.
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

kendalgerty wrote:Easy tiger. Very early days yet and all the big games are still ahead. Things certainly look good, but who's going to make the big carries with Coughlan out injured? Lack of ball-carrying heft still looks an issue in the pack.

Key to the whole operation looks to be Casey Laulala. Fantastic footballer. Whatever about Keith Earls' happiness index, Munster have got themselves a good 'un there.
Agreed regarding the back row. We still lack powerful ball carriers there. POM, DOC2 and Ronan can all carry ball effectively in their own ways but none have the ability to make the hard yards that Coughlan does. I've got my fingers crossed that Stander will help to fill that gap.

While I think Laulala has been very good thus far, I actually reckon we could manage without him. Downey, on the other hand, is essential. Limited though he may be, he's the only experienced 12 we have and the only one capable of giving the forwards a target. He's very important to the implementation of our new gameplan.

Thanks to signings and some young players coming through, our depth is definitely better than last year. However, we're still thin and a bit green in a couple of areas. Another season or two of growth required before we're seriously challenging for the HEC again imho.
Apocrypha
Graduate

Post by Apocrypha »

Ceemac's right. A lot of average dirtrackers playing above their station in early Pro12 games means nothing. The next three away games (Os, D'Laydz and Metro) will be a far better judgment of where we're at.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

bgclaw wrote:Id love to see kilcoyne and archer start HC game,i know 1 swallow dont make it summer but i think munster fans are optimistic.
So would Racing :wink:

In fairness, I think there's a lot of potential in that front row. Those two and Sherry are all about the same age and could form a Munster front row for a number of years along with John Ryan. However, there's a lot of work to be done yet and I don't think either would be ready for the challenge of Saracens or Racing in the HEC. Stander will be in the back row but won't be around until November. It's looking likely that the Bulls are going to finish bottom of their division at which point they'll have to go into a two game play off to avoid relegation. It will probably be December before we really see what he can do (only 2 games in November on the 2nd and 25th). The biggest call for Penney will be at 10. His game plan of putting width on the ball at pace and attacking the gain line is far more suited to IK than ROG. IK also has nailed his last 12 kicks. Aside from kicking from hand, it's hard to see where ROG has the upper hand here.

I'll definitely hold fire on Munster until after rounds 3 & 4 of the HEC. Then we'll see how they're doing with Coughlan and POC back and Stander settled in.
bgclaw
Bookworm

Post by bgclaw »

ceemec wrote:
bgclaw wrote:Id love to see kilcoyne and archer start HC game,i know 1 swallow dont make it summer but i think munster fans are optimistic.
So would Racing :wink: Racing will have to deal with whom ever plays.

In fairness, I think there's a lot of potential in that front.Good call i agree.

I don't think either would be ready for the challenge of Saracens or Racing in the HEC.Saracens are weak no fear there.They will hold their own.

Stander will be in the back row but won't be around until November.Munster dont need stander he will be a good addition but not the end all.
.Aside from kicking from hand, it's hard to see where ROG has the upper hand here. OK.P

IThen we'll see how they're doing with Coughlan and POC back and Stander settled in.
Fair enough reasonable sentiment
I believe leinster wont get out of their group clermont will beat them home and away.
These are my 1/4 finalists
Munster
Toulouse
Biarrtz
Northampton
Clermont
Cardiff
Quins(BRU)
Leicester(BRU)
I dont care if leinster make it out of their group or not it makes no difference to me this is only my opinion.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

bgclaw wrote: I dont care if leinster make it out of their group or not it makes no difference to me this is only my opinion.
I'll disagree based on two points.

1) Clermont are an ageing pack. They recruited poorly outside of Chouly in their pack and now have 3 or 4 important forwards well into their thirties most notably Bonnaire, Hines and Cudmore who are a huge part of their pack. They're 34, 34 and 36 respectively. Zirakashvili is their best forward but doesn't play 80 minutes ever which is detrimental to their performance. Cotter takes him off without fail.

2) Clermont are undoubtedly French which is to say, they're shocking on the road. They've lost 2 out of 3 of their away pool games for the last 5 years. The only games they've won were against Aironi, Viadana, Saracens (already eliminated at that point), Scarlets (already eliminated at that point) and Montauban (scored a try in dying minutes to win by a score). They have a poor mentality on the road and always have done in Europe. Little to suggest they'll be any different this season.

I digress!
bgclaw
Bookworm

Post by bgclaw »

If age the measure then
boss/reddan 32
darcy 32
driscoll 33
heaslip 30
nacewa 30
jennings 31
cullen 34
ross 32
Couple of players with alot miles on the clock.