Munster Thread 2012-2013

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

totalrandomer
Graduate

Re: Munster Thread 2012-2013

Post by totalrandomer »

tones wrote:
If Munster are as good as they rate themselves, and have as many current (and potentially future) internationals as they say the should, this group is very achievable. By the time they play Embra in the 5th match and Racing in the last they could be gone either.
I agree completely
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

:roll:
Irish Examiner wrote: Earls vows to make 13 jersey his own
By Charlie Mulqueen
Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Brian O’Driscoll remains Ireland’s first choice in the second centre position and Munster have signed Casey Laulala and James Downey but Keith Earls remains adamant — he wants to make the number 13 jersey his own for club and country.

Indeed it’s a conversation he has had with Declan Kidney and Munster’s Rob Penney.

"I spoke to Rob and let him know the position I prefer and he sees me as a 13 as well," he said.

"Obviously, though, I’m not going to play every game for Munster just as Casey and James aren’t either. Danny Barnes, Ivan Dinneen and a couple of other lads are there and I’m sure it will be mix and match again like last year. But he knows 13 is my favourite position even if at times we might have to adjust.

"You can’t be that selfish when it comes to a team and Rob said he’d do his best without promising anything. To be honest, I absolutely hate playing 11. Every bad game I’ve played, it’s been at 11. Maybe it’s a confidence thing because I haven’t grown up playing there. I feel I need to be closer to the ball whereas on the wing you might finish off a couple of tries, you might get a run-in, but you don’t touch the ball as often as you want or to make as many tackles.

"There was a time when I was happy to have a jersey. I was learning the game. I’ve learned a lot from people like Rua Tipoki who was one of our best foreign signings. I met him in New Zealand. He was so intelligent and came up with his own ideas. It’s not always me playing 13, I don’t mind playing 12. Responsibility, decision making and organising around me is what I want."

Earls knows competition for places will be fierce this year.

"James Downey is a big ball carrier and a solid defender who always gets over the gain line. He’s a good fella to run off and then you have Casey with his quick feet. Both of them have good rugby brains. I’ve always dreaded coming up against Casey because his feet are so good so I’m looking forward to playing with both of them."

Earls is happy he has shaken off the niggling injuries that cost him a lot of game-time last season and while he enjoyed working with Tony McGahan, he is also enthused by the arrival of Penney and backs coach Simon Mannix.

"I was running the back line yesterday and I was two or three years older than some of the lads," he smiled.

"It’s a bit scary and puts a lot of pressure on me because I’m still learning the game but I like that role.

"We know Rob and Simon from their records as coaches but don’t know them yet as persons but they’re both positive men who like to keep it simple and let fellas express themselves. They’re killing us with the fitness right now but we’ve also run through two or three moves, they’ve been asking us to produce some ourselves and we’ll come up with a play book then.

"There are no numbers on backs any more. Some of the forwards are a bit scared by that but there’s no doubting the talent we have. They can throw a seven or ten-metre pass and even Rob was saying that he has never seen forwards and backs as such good passers."

There is a commonly held belief that Munster will play a more expansive game under Penney but Earls isn’t promising anything.

"You never go into a season saying you’re going to throw the ball around," he warned. "You have to adapt when you’re in Newport on a December night. Rob just wants a good skill level out of everyone and if the forwards have to truck it up and the backs as well and vice versa, that’s a good mixture.

"Irish teams have been criticised for playing like robots, just doing it for the sake of it. We can truck it up if we want to and throw it around if we want to."

Ireland’s shocking 60-0 thrashing in the final Test in New Zealand coming on the back of the superb performance a week earlier still haunts everyone involved. Earls is no exception.

"Before the last Test, we were going solid for 54 weeks,’’ he recalled.

"The first Test was okay for a while, the second was quite good but the last was disgraceful and one you’d almost like to forget. In fact, this is my first time talking about it because it’s been really embarrassing."

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugb ... 02572.html
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
pete (on eirne)
Bookworm

Post by pete (on eirne) »

Christ it worries me how much Earls wants to play 13 AND says it publicly!
Didn't realise he hated playing 11. I think his best games in Green anyway have been there. He's had some poor ones at 13 in Green.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Xanthippe wrote::roll:
Irish Examiner wrote: Earls vows to make 13 jersey his own
By Charlie Mulqueen
Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Keith Earls remains adamant — he wants to make the number 13 jersey his own for club and country.

"13 is my favourite position"

"I absolutely hate playing 11"

"There was a time when I was happy to have a jersey."

"I was learning the game"

"I was running the back line yesterday and I was two or three years older than some of the lads,"

"I’m still learning the game"

"even Rob was saying that he has never seen forwards and backs as such good passers."

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugb ... 02572.html
I know 12 yr olds that are less petty
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
pete (on eirne)
Bookworm

I worry how much this interview could come and bite him in the ass. I don't see why you' d leave out a guy as talented as Lualala from your HCup XV and when there will be mixing and matching, those are the games Earls wants to play 13 in.

If Jones doesn't get his act together he could well end up 15.
pete (on eirne)
Bookworm

If the backline were all 2 or 3 years younger than him, who were they?

Murray/Williams
Hanrahan
Zebo
Earls
Barnes
?
Jones

Does that sound right?
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

pete (on eirne) wrote:If the backline were all 2 or 3 years younger than him, who were they?

Murray/Williams
Hanrahan
Zebo
Earls
Barnes
?
Jones

Does that sound right?
He actually said "some of them". Probably the likes of Barnes, Zebo, Scanlon, Luke O'Dea or any of the academy lads. Not much to be read into that.

As far as saying he likes 13 and hates 11 goes, what harm? He'll still play wing or even fullback if that's where he's put. If he proves good enough at 13 to keep Laulala out (or push him to 12), so be it. With Dougie and Zebo vying for the wing spots, somebody high profile is gonna have to miss out.
We're all red on the inside.
pete (on eirne)
Bookworm

Yeah for sure, but to put pressure on himself, Lualala and Penny by introducing this to the media is childish I think. He needs to tone this down bigtime as he is on the road to being Luke Fitz in 2010.

Also when he says all his bad games have been at 11, that is ridiculous!
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

pete (on eirne) wrote:Yeah for sure, but to put pressure on himself, Lualala and Penny by introducing this to the media is childish I think. He needs to tone this down bigtime as he is on the road to being Luke Fitz in 2010.

Also when he says all his bad games have been at 11, that is ridiculous!
Ah sure, he's only putting pressure on himself and that may well be a good thing. There's nothing childish about publicly stating your objective. It just gives you nowhere to hide if you fail. The likes of Penney and Laulala won't give a shite what he wants if he's not performing.

Agreed on the bad games at 11 thing. He's never looked bad on the wing afair. Centre and fullback he's been hit and miss. Getting better at 13 though. May well be Munster's best option there even with Laulala in the squad.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Munsterboy wrote:As far as saying he likes 13 and hates 11 goes, what harm?
Really? I quite like Keith Earls (more of a recent thing as I thought he performed above expectations in difficult circumstances at 13 in the 6N) and have no real problem with him telling everyone who'll listen where he wants to play (after-all, he's answering a question) but to use the word "hate"? If this was Isa Nacewa saying it about Leinster, I'd be pretty disappointed. Coaches have to pick the team they feel is best equipped to win a game. Sadly for Earls, that means 11 for him as he's our best finisher. Does this mean he'll be hating it every time he plays 11 for Mubster? Is that a good thing?

The other thing is Earls did better than many expected at 13 in the 6N, but apart from a solid try scoring record, has he done anything else in the game to justify making calls as big as this? Disappointing interview.
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

If Earls is kept out of the 13 jersey by Lualua will the media (and Farrelly in particular) complain about the foreigners stopping the development of local talent as per his rant over Ulster this year (and Leinster in the past)??
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

suisse wrote:
Munsterboy wrote:As far as saying he likes 13 and hates 11 goes, what harm?
Really? I quite like Keith Earls (more of a recent thing as I thought he performed above expectations in difficult circumstances at 13 in the 6N) and have no real problem with him telling everyone who'll listen where he wants to play (after-all, he's answering a question) but to use the word "hate"? If this was Isa Nacewa saying it about Leinster, I'd be pretty disappointed. Coaches have to pick the team they feel is best equipped to win a game. Sadly for Earls, that means 11 for him as he's our best finisher. Does this mean he'll be hating it every time he plays 11 for Mubster? Is that a good thing?

The other thing is Earls did better than many expected at 13 in the 6N, but apart from a solid try scoring record, has he done anything else in the game to justify making calls as big as this? Disappointing interview.
It's a bad move to make your play over the airwaves/on the printing presses. It backs your coach into a corner, to a greater or lesser degree [depending on how results are going] – he can simply do without it.

It goes the other way around as well – criticising players in public for playing poorly is a sure way to lose their trust and to engender bad feeling in a squad. It doesn't happen very often, but Laurie Fisher threw Denis Fogarty under the bus for some really poor lineout throwing two or three seasons ago. Fogarty deserved the criticism, but not in public. It's like any job – if you f*ck up, you deserve to be criticised, but would you rather that you were called in for a one-on-one with your boss, or if he absolutely bawled you out in front of the entire office, clients etc.?

To be honest, I think the interview is a lapse in professionalism. The professional thing to say in that situation is a simple, "I'll play anywhere I'm selected, but my preference would be to play No13" Simple as that. All this stuff about "I absolutely hate playing 11" strikes me as pretty immature. Suck it up, you're playing for Ireland!

I can understand Earls' frustrations, because he has been picked all over the shop by Declan Kidney, but what about players who've been overlooked for selection under DK? They've a far bigger reason to b*tch and moan, but there's very few of them who have.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

tones wrote:If Earls is kept out of the 13 jersey by Lualua will the media (and Farrelly in particular) complain about the foreigners stopping the development of local talent as per his rant over Ulster this year (and Leinster in the past)??

In a word: no.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

hugonaut wrote:It's a bad move to make your play over the airwaves/on the printing presses. It backs your coach into a corner, to a greater or lesser degree [depending on how results are going] – he can simply do without it.

It goes the other way around as well – criticising players in public for playing poorly is a sure way to lose their trust and to engender bad feeling in a squad. It doesn't happen very often, but Laurie Fisher threw Denis Fogarty under the bus for some really poor lineout throwing two or three seasons ago. Fogarty deserved the criticism, but not in public. It's like any job – if you f*ck up, you deserve to be criticised, but would you rather that you were called in for a one-on-one with your boss, or if he absolutely bawled you out in front of the entire office, clients etc.?

To be honest, I think the interview is a yet another lapse in professionalism. The professional thing to say in that situation is a simple, "I'll play anywhere I'm selected, but my preference would be to play No13" Simple as that. All this stuff about "I absolutely hate playing 11" strikes me as pretty immature. Suck it up, you're playing for Ireland!

I can understand Earls' frustrations, because he has been picked all over the shop by Declan Kidney, but what about players who've been overlooked for selection under DK? They've a far bigger reason to b*tch and moan, but there's very few of them who have.
Fixed.

Young Keith appears to have gone to the Ronan O'Gara school of media relations...then again they are related so no surprise there.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

deco wrote:
Young Keith appears to have gone to the Ronan O'Gara school of media relations...then again they are related so no surprise there.
The again could it all be a conspiracy cooked up by the Dublin meeja (even though it was reported in the Cork Examiner)? Perhaps the cousins over on MF could discuss for our enlightenment and amusement.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

The Munster website are in on the conspiracy and have gone down the same route as O'Gara & Keet - they have taken one of Keet's quotes and put it up on the website.

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/10644.php photo 20

We want to be able to wear our jerseys with Honesty & Pride :)
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

janeymac08 wrote:The Munster website are in on the conspiracy and have gone down the same route as O'Gara & Keet - they have taken one of Keet's quotes and put it up on the website.

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/10644.php photo 20

We want to be able to wear our jerseys with Honesty & Pride :)
Should photo number three not read 'Munster management attempt to locate rugby team' :lol:
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

hugonaut wrote: To be honest, I think the interview is a lapse in professionalism. The professional thing to say in that situation is a simple, "I'll play anywhere I'm selected, but my preference would be to play No13" Simple as that. All this stuff about "I absolutely hate playing 11" strikes me as pretty immature. Suck it up, you're playing for Ireland!

Ah lads, give the lad a break. He said:

"But he knows 13 is my favourite position even if at times we might have to adjust. You can’t be that selfish when it comes to a team and Rob said he’d do his best without promising anything."

Earls has never shown the slightest bit of petulance regarding where he's been asked to play. He always gives it everything when picked on the wing, despite the fact he hates it.
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

suisse wrote:Really? I quite like Keith Earls (more of a recent thing as I thought he performed above expectations in difficult circumstances at 13 in the 6N) and have no real problem with him telling everyone who'll listen where he wants to play (after-all, he's answering a question) but to use the word "hate"? If this was Isa Nacewa saying it about Leinster, I'd be pretty disappointed. Coaches have to pick the team they feel is best equipped to win a game. Sadly for Earls, that means 11 for him as he's our best finisher. Does this mean he'll be hating it every time he plays 11 for Mubster? Is that a good thing?

He said that he hates playing at 11, not that he hates playing for Munster. The fact that he always gives it everything despite hating the position just demonstrates his commitment to the team. Compare that with a guy like Ruan Pienaar who actually left his own country so he could get back to playing in his preferred position.

As long as Keith keeps doing his best wherever he's picked, it doesn't matter a bit to me. Although I will feel a bit sorry for the lad if he truly isn't enjoying it.
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

Munsterboy wrote:
Ah lads, give the lad a break. He said:

"But he knows 13 is my favourite position even if at times we might have to adjust. You can’t be that selfish when it comes to a team and Rob said he’d do his best without promising anything."
Well the point is more that he won't stop saying it.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.