Ulster Thread 2012-13

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ulster Thread 2012-13

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Yeah I think a lot of us have wanted to see Bowe, Trimble and Payne play together more often but it's not like Trimble has to be cast aside. Whatever about Ireland, he's been in great form for Ulster and his physicality is a big asset to them given how slight their 10,12 and 13 are. I'd almost be of a mind to say that Trimble plays more over the next couple of months and then reverse that when the pitches dry up and Trimble's defence/hard running won't be quite as useful.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Trimble started off as a centre but his passing/lack off and ball retention would mitigate against moving back there now

Did some research, based on starts only and all tries scored; Trimble averages a try every 3.1 games for Ulster but Gilroy every 2.75
thought gap there would be bigger

Other option would be Bowe to 13 but IMO Payne Bowe Gilroy best back 3 for Ulster
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Personally I don't think Bowe is really fully fit yet since his operation, he just does not seem to have the same burst of speed or physicality that he had, still think Gilroy is a great bench option
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: I'd almost be of a mind to say that Trimble plays more over the next couple of months and then reverse that when the pitches dry up and Trimble's defence/hard running won't be quite as useful.
Good idea and that seems to be the way they are being played, tight game keep Trimble on, if you need a quick try and it looks open enough for Gilroy bring him on, we are very lucky to be having a debate of which winger should get benched, normally that is simple and you then worry about him coming on early in a match.
Aird
Bookworm

Post by Aird »

LeRoux find it hard to quantify Ulster's regular 13 Darren Cave as being slight. Whilst I agree that neither Wallace or Jackson are exactly giants but both are very solid in their defence.

I find the whole media hassle over Gilroy amusing. Any regular Ulster Fan has known his qualities since his debut against Caerdiff, indeed when he was in his Final Year at Methody he turned out for Bangor in the Qualifying league and his performance even hen was outstanding. His basic game has not changed since then ,it is just that he has polished it up.

Now you can appreciate the outcry from Ulster when Zebo was selected over him for the NZ trip.

As for the press going on about him not starting for Ulster, he was a regular last season but the arrival of Tommy Bowe meant that he was in direct competition with Tommy.When it became clear that Bowe was leaving Swansea the talk was that he would be going to Leinster or Munster both of whom were more than anxious to sign him, of course we knew he would becoming home to Ravenhill.
If Bowe had signed for Munster would Zebo have been starting, and even their favourite son Earls can't guarantee a start for his home province at 13.

Personally I am delighted that Gilroy has made the break through but the uninformed Media hype is a bit sickening
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I agree Aird. A lot of the media here watch very little of Ulster rugby relatively speaking, and it's noticeable.

Gilroy played a lot of rugby last season and stepped up every time he was asked. He took his chances, he couldn't have been doing a lot more. About the only thing he could have done differently was not give Zebo that gimme try against the Baa-baas. He became impossible to ignore after the Fiji game. It was an easy PR win for Kidney.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Aird wrote:LeRoux find it hard to quantify Ulster's regular 13 Darren Cave as being slight. Whilst I agree that neither Wallace or Jackson are exactly giants but both are very solid in their defence.
I was just saying that it's not a physically imposing midfield. Cave mightn't be small but he's not exactly Jaque Fourie either. I never questioned their defence either, all three have been excellent (in every facet) this season. Saying that Trimble's physicality is important for Ulster isn't a slight on them, just that he offers a good balance.

On your point about the media, agree completely. It's also a bit soon to claim him as the man who'll turn Ireland around as the media seem eager to do. Fantastic talent but lets not kid ourselves about how tough it'll be for him to start in the 6N. Assuming Bod and Kearney are back then there's a pretty good chance that the midfield will be Darce and Bod which leaves the wing spot between Gilroy, Earls and Zebo. Anscombe has been great at rewarding form but Gilroy may still not be first choice for Ulster in the new year and only got into the team for Argentina on the back of a rout against Fiji, and may not have a similar stage to showcase his talents before the 6N.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

ronk wrote:I agree Aird. A lot of the media here watch very little of Ulster rugby relatively speaking, and it's noticeable.

Gilroy played a lot of rugby last season and stepped up every time he was asked. He took his chances, he couldn't have been doing a lot more. About the only thing he could have done differently was not give Zebo that gimme try against the Baa-baas. He became impossible to ignore after the Fiji game. It was an easy PR win for Kidney.
He started 27 games for Ulster last season [and came off the bench in another two]. Given that Ulster didn't make the Pro12 knock out stages but made it all the way to the HEC final, there was a maximum of 31 games he could have played in last season [22+9].

I [and I suspect a good few others] had been aware of him since the Lansdowne Road opening game, and then the Irish U20s of 2011, when he scored a brace of tries in the first game against Italy. When Ulster came down here in April 2011 [match report here: http://www.ulsterrugby.com/rugby/9297.php ] he scored his eighth try in ten ML/Pro12 starts that season. That's an unbelievable strike rate.

One of the small but influential things that may change if DK is replaced as head coach is that the confidence boost of getting selected for Ireland will be spread around a little bit more.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Let's not forget Kidney repeatedly over-looked Gilroy for the A squad too.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

Aird wrote:
Now you can appreciate the outcry from Ulster when Zebo was selected over him for the NZ trip.
I cried out loud too at the time. I would have and would still pick(ed) Gilroy ahead of Zebo, but getting to like Zebo more an more. He's a definite talent as well.
When I think back to EOS selecting Anthony Horgan on the wing v NZ, I rejoice at our current predicament.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

TrapperChamonix wrote:
Aird wrote:
I cried out loud too at the time. I would have and would still pick(ed) Gilroy ahead of Zebo, but getting to like Zebo more an more. He's a definite talent as well.
When I think back to EOS selecting Anthony Horgan on the wing v NZ, I rejoice at our current predicament.
I think most Munsterfans weren't saying it should be Zebo ahead of Gilroy, we were saying it should be both (and McFadden and Tiernan O'Halloran too).
We're all red on the inside.
promsandwich
Learner

Post by promsandwich »

TrapperChamonix wrote:
Aird wrote:
I agree with this. Gilroy not going was probably a poor decision but I have to admit, Zebo really appears to be improving his all round game this season and he has also taken his chances well. Good to see young talent from any province get and then seize an opportunity.
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Ulster taking the Scarlets to Chinatown in the scrum here. Callum Black having a great game, must have won half a dozen penalties already. Really shows just how horrific Archer was last week.

13-3 at half-time in fairly mouldy conditions - a great intercept try by Trimble is the bulk of the difference between the two teams.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

That's first place for Ulster anyway. We're only three point behind Scarlets though now and should be able to get second place and a home semi.

Will the construction work on Ravenhill rule out them hosting the final, presuming it's Ulster v Leinster with Ulster having home advantage?
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Donny B. wrote:That's first place for Ulster anyway. We're only three point behind Scarlets though now and should be able to get second place and a home semi.

Will the construction work on Ravenhill rule out them hosting the final, presuming it's Ulster v Leinster with Ulster having home advantage?

I know you know, but it's a long road before Leinster are in any final this year, Donny.

Hypothetically though, I'd imagine that they'd move Heaven, not earth and if possible the start date for commencement of construction to ensure the final is played there. They'd be very difficult to beat up there this year.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

deco wrote:
Donny B. wrote:That's first place for Ulster anyway. We're only three point behind Scarlets though now and should be able to get second place and a home semi.

I know you know, but it's a long road before Leinster are in any final this year, Donny.

Hypothetically though, I'd imagine that they'd move Heaven, not earth and if possible the start date for commencement of construction to ensure the final is played there. They'd be very difficult to beat up there this year.
Oh of course, pure hypothetical at this stage. At the same time we've been in every Grand Final so far, so it would almost seem rude not to be asked again. :wink:
I wonder if the IRFU would let them host it at Ravenhill anyway with the capacity so small. Ulster would (rightly) go mad if forced to move the final to the Aviva. Would Thomond Park be a good compromise. Big enough to get a good crowd in, but on neutral territory.
Aird
Bookworm

Post by Aird »

The redevelopment work has already commenced at Ravenhill, and be assured if at all possible all home draws will be played at Ravenhill.
Whilst agreeing that Thomond wud be a neutral ground it is 4hrs from Belfast and 2 from Dublin.
If league demanding that a bigger ground is used it may come down to the best deal financially if we cannot use Ravenhill.
Then again the Aviva wouldn't worry the Scarlets.
By the start of January it should be a lot clearer.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Is that 10 wins in a row? I hated the way Brian McLaughlin was replaced, but it's hard to argue with it now. They're winning games away from home when playing badly. Games they would have lost last year.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

CiaranIrl wrote:Is that 10 wins in a row? I hated the way Brian McLaughlin was replaced, but it's hard to argue with it now. They're winning games away from home when playing badly. Games they would have lost last year.
12 if you include the two HC games.

But Anscombe isn't letting them rest on their laurels.

From IT:

But Anscombe was disappointed with his side’s continued dip in performance, especially after getting out of jail twice in Italy. He said: “It doesn’t feel like a win. It was a poor game. We didn’t look after the ball, gave away too many penalties, made dumb decisions and were inaccurate.

“After the last few weeks I’m worried about our ability to keep the ball and strike. We only scored one try and that was from an interception.

“We didn’t build any pressure and didn’t take opportunities. An international frontrow giving away a couple of penalties at the end is unacceptable and gave them the bonus-point.

“We have a nine-point buffer at the top of the table but if we don’t pick things up that will get eaten up pretty quickly.”

Full contingent

Ulster have a five day turnaround before their trip to Franklin’s Gardens. Anscombe expects to have a full contingent available but insists his side must vastly improve.

He added: “There were players who had a opportunity for next week but didn’t put their hands up. We know we have to be a lot better next week or we will get our backsides kicked by Northampton.

“We will address the problems this week but need to be a lot more accurate.”
mikerob
Mullet

Post by mikerob »

Its 12 competitive wins including the HEC games.

The next 4 games will be crucially important however; Saints home and away then Leinster and Munster in the Pro12.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

mikerob wrote:Its 12 competitive wins including the HEC games.

The next 4 games will be crucially important however; Saints home and away then Leinster and Munster in the Pro12.
Indeed. If you're still unbeaten after those four, I will be seriously impressed.