Ulster Thread 2012-13

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

rooster
Seán Cronin

Re: Ulster Thread 2012-13

Post by rooster »

Donny B. wrote:That's first place for Ulster anyway. We're only three point behind Scarlets though now and should be able to get second place and a home semi.

Will the construction work on Ravenhill rule out them hosting the final, presuming it's Ulster v Leinster with Ulster having home advantage?
The 2 end stands are to be completed by the end of this season and there is a rumour going round that they will have the stands ready or at least ready that they can be used for a home quarter in the HEC or Pro12 semi if we get either or both, it probably is possible as long as the authority's allow them to be used before final fit outs below capacity would be over 18k
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

and after all the praise heaped on Gilroy (myself included for what its worth) he has a stinker and Trimble storms it

maybe a LR grand final this season if we get Ulster v Leinster as home seeded semi final?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

I think after two time pocket picks in the RDS, it's our turn to poach a title off a deserving winner. Perhaps in Ravenhill this season? :evil:

Ulster are looking absolutely superb so far this season though. Already looks fairly certain that they'll top the table, even if we won a double header over them - almost half way through the league and 10 from 10 - extremely impressive.

At their rate of improvement, they're on course to be a regular top tier European side, imo have surpassed Munster at this stage as second Irish province, and potentially could pass out Leinster in the next season or two also if they keep up their form.

Historically, the strongest Irish province - so they're due a period of dominance in the professional era..
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

We have just signed Cave for another 2 years :D
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

rooster wrote:
Donny B. wrote:That's first place for Ulster anyway. We're only three point behind Scarlets though now and should be able to get second place and a home semi.

Will the construction work on Ravenhill rule out them hosting the final, presuming it's Ulster v Leinster with Ulster having home advantage?
The 2 end stands are to be completed by the end of this season and there is a rumour going round that they will have the stands ready or at least ready that they can be used for a home quarter in the HEC or Pro12 semi if we get either or both, it probably is possible as long as the authority's allow them to be used before final fit outs below capacity would be over 18k
Hopefully the fan base will keep growing with increased capacity. It has grown during a period without a massive amount of success, so hopefully more and more people will come through the gates now that the team is playing great rugby.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
UlsterMan
Bookworm

Post by UlsterMan »

CiaranIrl wrote:
rooster wrote:

Hopefully the fan base will keep growing with increased capacity. It has grown during a period without a massive amount of success, so hopefully more and more people will come through the gates now that the team is playing great rugby.
Our average gate is up for this year, we sold out the Northampton and Leinster games a month beforehand and it looks like the Scarlets game will be sold out in the few weeks as well. It's a good time for Ulster at the moment :green clap:
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Ulster are in a very fortunate position of having a strong fan base starting off and their club sides have traditionally been well supported. With a bit of success ulster should be able to pull back some of the fans they've lost over the years as well as pull some fans from ail level down and some none rugby fans. I wish them the best of luck, whatever success ulster get is well deserved, their fans are a great bunch regardless of the score. i have never had a negative experience with any rugby fan from ulster from junior rugby up to provincial.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Have to say I find it quite amazing that there's such a feel good factor around Ulster rugby at the moment given what happened to Spence. It helped that they were already winning games but to continue that on when they could easily have put in some very flat performances and derailed their season is very impressive.

The next big test for them will be how they bounce back when they finally lose a game. I don't think it'll be too much longer before someone figures them out and gives a template for others to follow. Adapting to that will be the key to their season.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Have to say I find it quite amazing that there's such a feel good factor around Ulster rugby at the moment given what happened to Spence. It helped that they were already winning games but to continue that on when they could easily have put in some very flat performances and derailed their season is very impressive.
Personally I think it's down to the way we have been up here through years of troubles, something bad happens in general most people after the initial shock and grief go "feck that" and dig their heels in and try a bit harder to get on with life and do something to try and make amends for what happened.
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: The next big test for them will be how they bounce back when they finally lose a game. I don't think it'll be too much longer before someone figures them out and gives a template for others to follow. Adapting to that will be the key to their season.
That will certainly be interesting as it is bound to happen sooner or later, probably another case of "feck that" and get on with it. There are a bunch of lads sitting on the edge of the squad and if anyone does not pull their weight then they will be in there, it's the way the squad is being managed and Anscombe has stuck by that right from the start, you play well and train well you get a game otherwise you watch from the stand.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

From a marketing point of view Ulster Rugby is in a good position as its the most popular (and most) cross community sport up North, although the very popular Belfast Giants ice hockey team might argue with that, so potentially they have a big fan base they can potentially tap into especially in Belfast
No football really in Antrim, Hurling team not a big draw especially outside of the summer, soccer very loyalist & very rough.
And they've got more and more players who've played GAA (as rugby in general in Ireland is experiencing at all levels) and even 3 players called Paddy :)

Plus a successful team will always attract support
mikerob
Mullet

Post by mikerob »

UR is still very reliant on the traditional rugby playing grammar schools for academy intake, however. These have been supplemented with some exiles and a few players from other provinces (like Alan O'Connor from Leinster)

The traditional rugby playing schools have a wider intake from across the community now than they did 20 years ago, and that has been reflected in the players making it through to professional ranks. I think there is still a lot of work to tap into the non-traditional schools and youth rugby, however.

I think that Brian McLaughlin is now working on identification of academy talent so hope he will be able to identify some diamonds in the rough outside of the same old, same old schools.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

mikerob wrote:UR is still very reliant on the traditional rugby playing grammar schools for academy intake, however. These have been supplemented with some exiles and a few players from other provinces (like Alan O'Connor from Leinster)

The traditional rugby playing schools have a wider intake from across the community now than they did 20 years ago, and that has been reflected in the players making it through to professional ranks. I think there is still a lot of work to tap into the non-traditional schools and youth rugby, however.

I think that Brian McLaughlin is now working on identification of academy talent so hope he will be able to identify some diamonds in the rough outside of the same old, same old schools.
Big push on at present to gather in talent from non traditional playing schools also clubs are having open days and trawling for more players as well from a non traditional rugby playing background, I also know of 2 large secondary schools rugby coaching has started in which are traditionally purely GAA in their background and the uptake has been pretty astounding to those involved. Some of the rugby clubs and GAA clubs have tried to organise their local underage competitions so that those playing both sports are able to continue to do so and just let the kids make their own mind up which they prefer
simonokeeffe wrote:although the very popular Belfast Giants ice hockey team might argue with that, so potentially they have a big fan base they can potentially tap into especially in Belfast
Not so sure it is as popular as it once was Simon and actually not sure if there is much crossover in the fan base either, seems to be more those of a soccer orientated background who go to the ice hocky
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: The next big test for them will be how they bounce back when they finally lose a game. I don't think it'll be too much longer before someone figures them out and gives a template for others to follow. Adapting to that will be the key to their season.
Personally I would see the next test as an away win against a big team outside of Ireland. We know they can beat anyone at home, but with due respect to Bath, Ulster have not beaten anyone of note on the road. They may have come close against ASM or Saracens but ultimately they came up short. They have the capability but its a step they still need to take. This weekends game against Saints will be a very good yard stick.

For clarity, I exclude the QF win in TP not because it wasn't a great win or not because I under value Munster but its because there isn't an intimidation factor for Irish teams playing each other away from home.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
mikerob
Mullet

Post by mikerob »

rooster wrote: Big push on at present to gather in talent from non traditional playing schools also clubs are having open days and trawling for more players as well from a non traditional rugby playing background, I also know of 2 large secondary schools rugby coaching has started in which are traditionally purely GAA in their background and the uptake has been pretty astounding to those involved. Some of the rugby clubs and GAA clubs have tried to organise their local underage competitions so that those playing both sports are able to continue to do so and just let the kids make their own mind up which they prefer
Good to hear. A key thing will be the quality of coaching the kids get at the non traditional schools, given the technical nature of rugby. The traditional rugby schools have an advantage there so I hope the powers that be can see beyond that and spot people with potential who maybe haven't had great coaching so far.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

rooster wrote:
mikerob wrote:UR is still very reliant on the traditional rugby playing grammar schools for academy intake, however. These have been supplemented with some exiles and a few players from other provinces (like Alan O'Connor from Leinster)

Big push on at present to gather in talent from non traditional playing schools also clubs are having open days and trawling for more players as well from a non traditional rugby playing background, I also know of 2 large secondary schools rugby coaching has started in which are traditionally purely GAA in their background and the uptake has been pretty astounding to those involved. Some of the rugby clubs and GAA clubs have tried to organise their local underage competitions so that those playing both sports are able to continue to do so and just let the kids make their own mind up which they prefer
simonokeeffe wrote:although the very popular Belfast Giants ice hockey team might argue with that, so potentially they have a big fan base they can potentially tap into especially in Belfast
Not so sure it is as popular as it once was Simon and actually not sure if there is much crossover in the fan base either, seems to be more those of a soccer orientated background who go to the ice hocky
I used to be in the Odyssey complex half a dozen times a year and Hockey nights place was jammed but that was 2 years ago almost

Support wise they definitely have a cross community potential well of support

Rate our academy is going lots of spare talented youngsters around they can have!

A mate played for Monaghan RFC about 10 years ago and a third of the players were coming from South Armagh!
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

simonokeeffe wrote: mate played for Monaghan RFC about 10 years ago and a third of the players were coming from South Armagh!
Yip but you have to remember it was actually their nearest club anyway, know quite a few of those guys and most played GAA as well, 2 miles further North and they would have been going to Armagh instead as a lot of others do.
Open night in Armagh RFC tomorrow night for 12 to 17 year olds, all of those attending will be from outside Royal School as they are tied to play in the school, except the girls, they should get a few more in with this now that they are getting coached in some of the other schools in the area and I'm sure similar is going on around the rest of the province as well.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

aye, still though tis a modern and positive development
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Bad news for both Ulster and Ireland

Ulster backrow forward Stephen Ferris has today undergone surgery on a tendon injury and it is not known when he will be available to play for the province again.

The Ireland flanker sustained ankle damage in the RaboDirect PRO12 game against Edinburgh on November 2nd, ruling him out of the autumn international series matches against South Africa, Fiji and Argentina.

His condition “will be reviewed in the coming weeks to establish an accurate time period for recovery and to assess when he will fit to return to play”, according to an Ulster Rugby statement this evening. Ominously, Ferris's first tweet of the day simply read: "And so another journey begins.."

He latter added: "Operation went well and I'm on the road to recovery."

Such an unclear prognosis, however, does not bode well for Ulster, who have four Heineken Cup games in the next six weeks, starting with this Friday's meeting with Northampton at Franklin's Gardens and ending with the final pool game away to Castres on the weekend of January 18th.

They remain unbeaten in 12 games so far this season and top the PRO12 table, but both Mark Anscombe and Ireland coach Declan Kidney will be hoping the powerful backrow can make a swift return.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

To be greedy and honest I hope he gets dropped from the Ireland squad as they don't seem to realise that he is not able to play 80 mins each match, at least Ulster try and limit his game time to what he can cope with.
Don't see him appearing before the end of the 6 Nations anyway.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Whats going on in Irish rugby?
Gone before their time-Flannery, Wallace, Leamy,Horgan
Very concerned about-POC,Ferris,Fitz,BOD.Kearney
All first choice internationals.
The oul player welfare program is creaking.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!