More bad news for Rocky

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Mauler
Seán Cronin

More bad news for Rocky

Post by Mauler »

Rocky Elsom loses Japanese club deal after failing a fitness test

WITHIN the past year, Rocky Elsom has gone from Wallabies captain to being sacked by his Japanese club after failing a medical test.
Elsom's downward trajectory hit a new low when club Kobe tore up his two-year deal at the weekend for being unable to satisfy their requirements in testing.

The injury-prone backrower, who managed just six Super Rugby games in the past two years with the Waratahs and Brumbies, was to have started playing for Kobe in October in Japan's Top League.

But The Daily Telegraph has been told Elsom will now seek a lifeline in France, where the medical requirements are apparently not as stringent.

He slipped quietly to Japan straight after the Waratahs' Mad Monday celebrations following a disastrous season.

Having been appointed captain by former coach Michael Foley, Elsom managed just five games because of hamstring and shoulder injuries.
WHEN Rocky Elsom lost the Wallabies captaincy last year, many felt it had permanently damaged his leadership credentials.
He never reached the required number of games to activate the second-year clause of his contract with the Waratahs and signed with Kobe, who also signed former NRL star Craig Wing in a $1.5 million two-year deal.

Elsom spoke to Wing before signing with Kobe, but had also arranged to have stints in Europe between January and July over the next two years.

However with his history of injuries and latest setback, Elsom's future is clouded.

French club Narbonne, who have former Wallabies coach Bob Dwyer on the board, looms as the most likely destination for Elsom.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby-gold ... 6453646873
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: More bad news for Rocky

Post by johng »

The poor bastid.

That long season where he played with the Waratahs in Super 14 all the way to the Final in Canterbury, tri nations, then came to us and gave it his all for a full NH season, inc games like Connacht in Galway. The only rest he got was the 2 games between the HC semi and final, and then back to tri nations.

Took it's toll.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

johng wrote:The poor bastid.

That long season where he played with the Waratahs in Super 14 all the way to the Final in Canterbury, tri nations, then came to us and gave it his all for a full NH season, inc games like Connacht in Galway. The only rest he got was the 2 games between the HC semi and final, and then back to tri nations.

Took it's toll.
Remember it well, he was singled out by Connacht players and managed to recieve a head butt behind the posts. He was clearly taken aback by the physical nature of that encounter.

Sad to see a greats' body give up when the brain is no doubt sharp as ever.
3 Gold Stars
Eve
Mullet Moderator

Post by Eve »

Such a shame. Don't know if his finances are still an issue but I imagine a year out to really try and get himself right would stand to him alot more than a lower French division. I'm not sure scrabbling around for somewhere that will consider him as medically fit is really in his best interests...
Summer is ready when you are

MelbourneRebel
Knowledgeable

Post by MelbourneRebel »

In my opinion, after a long season training, including a rigorous pre-season (or not in the case of the Waratahs) and then playing, it was unwise to go to Japan straight away.

If he could get a good 6 months off, doing nothing, and join S15 pre-season in January he could have enough time to recover.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

We've got an NIQ spot left have'nt we? Are we going to use it? Why not give rocky a call, a return to Dublin might inpire him to get beack near to his best. Every match would be sell out for sure. Even if he ended up as a impact sub for the big games. "Rocky II"
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

While we do have a spot, we've a serious amount of backrowers at the moment
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

His form has been poor due to the injuries. Seany has looked a far more rounded player.

I do feel for the guy though, his body has been through the ringer.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I know this is fantasy land, but he is 6'5, so he could do a job in the tighthead lock slot.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
totalrandomer
Graduate

Post by totalrandomer »

CiaranIrl wrote:I know this is fantasy land, but he is 6'5, so he could do a job in the tighthead lock slot.
http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/profiles/in ... ef=dynamic

6'6" even. Playing in the 2nd row would give him a rest to some degree, and he may be getting desperate enough to try it...
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

He's been way off the pace in the last few games I saw him play. Losing dynamism is one thing but struggling to get to rucks is another.

In hindight we were blessed that we didn't sign him, not only because of how his form/fitness turned out but also because we got Hines.

Really feel for him though, don't mean to sound harsh. Lovely guy and a real warrior on the pitch, hope he gets a contract someone and can regain some form if looked after properly.
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Leinster pretty much got the last decent season out of him, he was physically banjaxed after that.

He was in Finnegan's in Dalkey the day after the Munster HEC Semi in Croker and his leg was in a cast, and two and a half weeks later he was starting the HEC Final...

He hasn't been the same player for club or country since...
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Sea_point wrote:He was in Finnegan's in Dalkey the day after the Munster HEC Semi in Croker and his leg was in a cast, and two and a half weeks later he was starting the HEC Final...
This can be precautionary more than evidence of an injury.
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

He should take a year off and try to get the body right. He's young enough to come back if he can get over this.
We're all red on the inside.
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Morf wrote:
Sea_point wrote:He was in Finnegan's in Dalkey the day after the Munster HEC Semi in Croker and his leg was in a cast, and two and a half weeks later he was starting the HEC Final...
This can be precautionary more than evidence of an injury.
True but the subsequent loss of all form indicates that it is more likely to be highly relevant....
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Apparently Toulon turned him down after he failed the medical due to his shoulder injury. Could this be the end of the road for him? Hopefully not.
Stuka
Knowledgeable

Rocky Elsom

Post by Stuka »

I've just read there that Rocky can't find a club due to his shoulder injury. What a shame for the great man.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Rocky Elsom

Post by mikey »

Stuka wrote:I've just read there that Rocky can't find a club due to his shoulder injury. What a shame for the great man.
Thats a great shame - but, with the problems he has had, it would be a real gamble to take him on and ultimately all the clubs are businesses and not charities.

That said, i;d love it if Joe took a chance on him!!!!
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Should have satayed with Leinster
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

BlueBlue wrote:Should have satayed with Leinster
Maybe he could be curried back to us post injury?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan