More bad news for Rocky

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Amz
Mullet

Re: More bad news for Rocky

Post by Amz »

Would it be any harm to sign him, on a much reduced pay packet obviously, have him recover from injury and sort out whatever other stuff is going on for him. Then play him in Rabo games etc and let some of our other guys get a break if/when needed. He could be useful to have around.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

I think I would prefer to remember Rocky in 08/09 Leinster Jersey and mode rather than an older, more injury ravaged, less effective, 2012 version who would be seen as a option to give our first team players a rest between HEC Games.
Four Stars
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Lar wrote:I think I would prefer to remember Rocky in 08/09 Leinster Jersey and mode rather than an older, more injury ravaged, less effective, 2012 version who would be seen as a option to give our first team players a rest between HEC Games.
Upside is he could play anywhere in the back 5
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Listen, as much as I love Rocky and what he did for us back in '09, if he isn't fit enough for Japanese rugby, he isn't fit enough for us.

Neil Francis is pushing the line that we should sign him and play him in the second row, after getting him fit by "rehabbing his shoulder for six-seven weeks". I must have missed the bit in Franno's career where he earned his medical degree.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Donny B. wrote:Listen, as much as I love Rocky and what he did for us back in '09, if he isn't fit enough for Japanese rugby, he isn't fit enough for us.

Neil Francis is pushing the line that we should sign him and play him in the second row, after getting him fit by "rehabbing his shoulder for six-seven weeks". I must have missed the bit in Franno's career where he earned his medical degree.
I was not pushing it as a serious option. There is no room for sentiment in business. I WAS celebrating the versatile options of our 2nd row on another thread though, despite their lack of international caps. Throw him into the mix, worth a punt. As I said covers 5 positions in case of injury rest etc. and if he DID click...........

Frano probably got the idea of playing him in the 2nd row on here though, as we were discussing it on the signings thread several months ago.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

I'd imagine Joe will be keeping our spare NIQ place free for a possible BT return around march next year, or some other timely recruit as needs demand. Pity about Rocky, but our back row options are vast. Sentiment has no place in a pro rugby team.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Beyond the injury concerns, there's also the fact that Rocky isn't a lock, he would be of a very dissimilar style to the type that Joe normally goes for (e.g. Browne, Hines, Thorn). I loved Rocky for us, but thinking back to the great moments, they weren't so much in the tight as very much in the loose. He'd be wasted for us at lock and we already have too many backrows.

I'm sure he'll sort himself out and get a decent job once he gets back to fitness. Frano's comments probably say more about his own understanding of the lock position and his appetite for hard work.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Think there's talk of Cheika taking him back to the Waratahs when he takes over. Think this would be best option for Rocky, giving himself a complete break from rugby until new year's Super rugby season. Would hate to see his career just fizzle out, especially as he is still relatively young.

EDIT:

Cheika ruled out a return of former Wallabies skipper Rocky Elsom.

The pair worked together at Leinster but the latter has been dogged by injury problems and was released by the Waratahs at the end of the season.

"I met with Rocky the other day in Europe. I had dinner with him and his family," Cheika told reporters.

"I think his priority is getting himself fit and healthy so he can get back to the performance levels that he had a few years back."
nopeare
Enlightened

Post by nopeare »

Does anyone have any more news on Rocky?? still would love to see him given a short term contract and go as a second row