Sky to cover Rabo??

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

John23
Enlightened

Re: Sky to cover Rabo??

Post by John23 »

Scrum 5 wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote: Sky dont have major sports interest in Italy do they? That's a problem unless its their opportunity. In which case it could be okay.
Sky Italia
With Tania Zamparo presenting the Rugby world cup on Sky Italia when I was there I'm sure it'll help the Rabo ratings if she continues to present the Rabo matches http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMxnwyFqzuc
:D

For the good of the game of course.
Tania Zamparo -V- Joanne Cantwell,
I'm brushing up on my Italian
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

I hate Sky. It will be the same with BT.

If you ask what time Quins traditionally play rugby, it's 3 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon. Excluding cup games (HEC & LV), quins have had 1 (home) game all season on Saturday at 3pm. There are no more scheduled for the rest of the season. You sell your soul to the devil and you pay the price.

On a positive note, there is something called 'premier tv'. Every single (league) game is available to view, in full, approximately 3 hours (but in reality usually the next day) after it has finished. I've not missed a game all season. :D

Whilst it's unlikely that every weekend Sky would choose a Leinster game to feature (and without being rude, it's a bit arrogant to expect them to!), you may find that something akin to premier tv is available for the rabo. You need never miss a league game again and it's not even illegal to watch them as they're streamed from the website just for you!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

That would work. We were in the really fortunate position before now where every Pro-12 match was televised by the previous broadcasters, not just Leinster. That's what we want again.
Not asking for much.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Morf wrote:How tall is she?

The guy with her looks tiny.

I'd be worried I might break her though.
She is about 5' 11" big girl :P
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Sky are actually pretty poor at showing AP matches, 1 or 2 per weekend at present, not sure they would do much more as even when they had sole Premership matches they usually did no more than 3 anyway
http://www1.skysports.com/watch/rugby-union-on-sky
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

The current deal for Sky and ESPN (and Setanta before them) is to show 69 matches a season live. Before that, when Sky were the only channel showing live matches, their contract was to show 33 live matches a season so showing several games in a weekend hasn't happened in quite a long time; we would be going back to the days of the Zurich Premiership at least.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ulster would be delighted with the Friday night games, plus the 7pm kick offs for Welsh tv were a pain in the ass, 7 30 or 8 much better/convenient
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

claire_m wrote:I hate Sky. It will be the same with BT.

If you ask what time Quins traditionally play rugby, it's 3 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon. Excluding cup games (HEC & LV), quins have had 1 (home) game all season on Saturday at 3pm. There are no more scheduled for the rest of the season. You sell your soul to the devil and you pay the price.

On a positive note, there is something called 'premier tv'. Every single (league) game is available to view, in full, approximately 3 hours (but in reality usually the next day) after it has finished. I've not missed a game all season. :D

Whilst it's unlikely that every weekend Sky would choose a Leinster game to feature (and without being rude, it's a bit arrogant to expect them to!), you may find that something akin to premier tv is available for the rabo. You need never miss a league game again and it's not even illegal to watch them as they're streamed from the website just for you!
Is that a download or on sky ??
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

mikey wrote:

Premiershiprugby.co.uk

surprised you have never watched one.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

johng wrote:
mikey wrote:

Premiershiprugby.co.uk

surprised you have never watched one.
It's true - I've not.....about time rabo had the equiv....
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Strange time of the year to release a promotional video for PRO12 ?
Interesting stats included though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo2-zQvtyCk
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

rooster wrote:Strange time of the year to release a promotional video for PRO12 ?
26 seconds in. What's the story with all the security? Do they think we're going to steals someones pen?
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

limecat wrote:
rooster wrote:Strange time of the year to release a promotional video for PRO12 ?
26 seconds in. What's the story with all the security? Do they think we're going to steals someones pen?
Probably, can't trust you lot at all, did they spot a few bankers in the crowd :lol:
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

if Sky buy the rights would they (factor in/be inclined to) show games in Southern hemisphere? timezone wise its perfect for S.A and mostly in their rugby off season plus the growing diaspora in Aus
mikerob
Mullet

Post by mikerob »

simonokeeffe wrote:if Sky buy the rights would they (factor in/be inclined to) show games in Southern hemisphere? timezone wise its perfect for S.A and mostly in their rugby off season plus the growing diaspora in Aus
TV rights are sold by country so BSkyB Ltd would only be buying rights for UK and/or Ireland and it will be up to a local broadcaster, like Sky Italia S.r.l. to decide if they want to buy the rights for their country. IIRC for a sport like rugby there is very little money selling TV rights for domestic games outside the core market, and the local broadcaster will only be buying them as "filler" for their schedule.
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

suisse wrote:
ceemec wrote:If Sky have exclusive rights, it doesn't matter if matches are easy to get online now. They won't be online. No other station will be allowed show them and therefore there will be no online feed. As it stands, there are about 4 or 5 games a season that aren't shown live. The last few weeks seem to have skewed perceptions. They are the only games that have not been live on TV this season. The vast majority of games are televised. If Sky get exclusive rights, I'd expect the number of Leinster games not televised to double. I couldn't care less if people don't like Hook or don't speak Irish. It's worth sticking with to actually get to see the games which we wouldn't if Sky had the rights.
Well, in fairness ceemec, every Leinster HEC game in shown LIVE on Sky Sports. Over the past 3/4 years, can you think of another team that is always live, and not on a red button? Munster have not had that luxury yet. Even when we were a bit sh!t - Castres away in 2008 - we were live on the TV. The Rabo is not a good competition, but it has big potential. SKY can deliver that. Even if we weren't live on a weekend, you can sure there would be a dedicated magazine programme showing comprehensive highlights and analysis. Not 'Against The Head' style rubbish. Sticking with RTE is doing nothing for this League. If there was a dedicated broadcaster, it might help.

Besides, we don't know their running schedule yet. Perhaps they are willing to regionalise their matches? I would certainly consider whatever their proposal is, and if they are pumping large sums in, giving it maximum exposure and fixing kick off time well in advance with a dedicated round-up programme/show, then the Celtic nations will have to seriously consider this proposal.
I remember the away game to Clermont in 2011 was not televised. I had to watch it on a crappy weblink which kept skipping....
They showed Leicester v some Welsh region in Welford road instead.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

tones wrote:
suisse wrote:
ceemec wrote:If Sky have exclusive rights, it doesn't matter if matches are easy to get online now. They won't be online. No other station will be allowed show them and therefore there will be no online feed. As it stands, there are about 4 or 5 games a season that aren't shown live. The last few weeks seem to have skewed perceptions. They are the only games that have not been live on TV this season. The vast majority of games are televised. If Sky get exclusive rights, I'd expect the number of Leinster games not televised to double. I couldn't care less if people don't like Hook or don't speak Irish. It's worth sticking with to actually get to see the games which we wouldn't if Sky had the rights.
Well, in fairness ceemec, every Leinster HEC game in shown LIVE on Sky Sports. Over the past 3/4 years, can you think of another team that is always live, and not on a red button? Munster have not had that luxury yet. Even when we were a bit sh!t - Castres away in 2008 - we were live on the TV. The Rabo is not a good competition, but it has big potential. SKY can deliver that. Even if we weren't live on a weekend, you can sure there would be a dedicated magazine programme showing comprehensive highlights and analysis. Not 'Against The Head' style rubbish. Sticking with RTE is doing nothing for this League. If there was a dedicated broadcaster, it might help.

Besides, we don't know their running schedule yet. Perhaps they are willing to regionalise their matches? I would certainly consider whatever their proposal is, and if they are pumping large sums in, giving it maximum exposure and fixing kick off time well in advance with a dedicated round-up programme/show, then the Celtic nations will have to seriously consider this proposal.
I remember the away game to Clermont in 2011 was not televised. I had to watch it on a crappy weblink which kept skipping....
That game was on the red button on SKY.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

cormac wrote:
tones wrote:
Yup. I missed that trip but watched it on sky. Probably you have UPC Tones and therefore no red button
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

johng wrote:
cormac wrote:
tones wrote:
Yup. I missed that trip but watched it on sky. Probably you have UPC Tones and therefore no red button
Well in that case, should've been the main match :wink:
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

yeah i remember going to the pub to watch it even though am effectively paying 6 or 700 a year to have sky sports