Toulon / Clermont

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: Toulon / Clermont

Post by fourthirtythree »

ribs wrote:Seriously physical game, not sure any irish team would have lived with it. One mistake gave Toulon free run to try line, but Clermont had no urgency and set up the drop goal easily only for Skela to chicken out. Reckon Brock would have got it. Good atmosphere Irish silent but a few beers did wonders for the French
Do you think? Teams always turn up trying to do that to Leinster. It usually doesnt' work. I think we'd have torn Toulon a new one. No subtlety, no invention, bosh bosh bosh.

Clermont were trying really hard not to score at the time, the time when they did set him up it wasn't on and they shouldn't have. Lack of composure. They showed flashes of invention but not enough unfortunately.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Very physical game. I enjoyed it. Credit Toulon they launched into CA from the off, had a very limited gameplan but managed to snatch it.

CA played all the rugby and basically fannyed about in the Toulon 22, feel for their fans but their team let them down big time yesterday. They didnt deserve it in the end for that alone.

Johnny Wilko's kicking was immense but his overall play was average IMO. How many times did he kick aimlessly to a CA player? crazy how they didn't conced more points.

Enjoyable game IMO but a word on both sets of fans, shocking turnout by both.

Toulon...all 1000 of them..very quiet.
CA....4/5000? max, only sang when they had a decent score on the board, very nice,polite people but how some Leinster fans fawn/drool over them is a mystery to me. They were quiet for most of the game. Compare that to us 09 and 11.

BTW Armitage is a c**t.

Irish dancing entertainment was top notch!! :D

Congrats Toulon :clap: but Leinster would have breezed that final yesterday had we been there, no question.
3 Gold Stars
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

I can't believe that Armitage scumbag won the Heineken Cup, we were only a couple of rows from the pitch and I was disgusted to see him walk past me waving. Let's not forget Nick Kennedy either after his carry on which got Jennings cited and suspended.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

nc6000 wrote:I can't believe that Armitage scumbag won the Heineken Cup, we were only a couple of rows from the pitch and I was disgusted to see him walk past me waving. Let's not forget Nick Kennedy either after his carry on which got Jennings cited and suspended.
Let's not co conflate their flaws. Kennedy was sneaky, but in the final analysis contrite- a bit. As to that other bucko...... :twisted:
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

They were both pretty good yesterday also. Just sayin'
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

fourthirtythree wrote:They were both pretty good yesterday also. Just sayin'
Oh they certainly were!! That's the really annoying part... :?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Sad for Clermont for blowing the match and can't stand Delon, but was in the middle of the Toulon support wearing a yellow t-shirt and their fans were actually lovely. So happy for them and Jonny and good sorts like Lobbe.

Though it improved in the second half, the first forty minutes was one of the most mundane games I've ever seen.
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

ribs wrote:Seriously physical game, not sure any irish team would have lived with it.
Have you forgotten that we won the competition three times in the last four years?
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
Jolly Jumper

Post by Jolly Jumper »

Two things to say :

-I laugh out loud when I see people claiming that Leinster fans would have cheered the team louder than ever in the last 15 minutes of the game, unlike ASM fans did. I was in the Aviva stadium in december when Leinster lost against Clermont, the blue fans where quiet as f%~k during the whole game. I was in Cardiff in the 2011 final, Leinster fans were quiet as f%~k? during the first half. My point is not to blame you for being quiet in harsh moments, but please don't pretend to be something you are not.

-I also laugh when I see people claiming that Leinster would have won this game easy. You are obvioulsy missing few things regarding Toulon game plan, and regarding their insanely good defense and their huge density. Clermont made a few mistakes f%~ked up the last ten minutes of the game, but the level they played during the game would have been enough to beat any other team in Europe, including Leinster (especially without BOD-D'Arcy).
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Jolly Jumper wrote:Two things to say :

-I laugh out loud when I see people claiming that Leinster fans would have cheered the team louder than ever in the last 15 minutes of the game, unlike ASM fans did. I was in the Aviva stadium in december when Leinster lost against Clermont, the blue fans where quiet as f%~k during the whole game. I was in Cardiff in the 2011 final, Leinster fans were quiet as f%~k during the first half. My point is not to blame you for being quiet in harsh moments, but please don't pretend to be something you are not.

-I also laugh when I see people claiming that Leinster would have won this game easy. You are obvioulsy missing few things regarding Toulon game plan, and regarding their insanely good defense and their huge density. Clermont made a few mistakes f%~ked up the last ten minutes of the game, but the level they played during the game would have been enough to beat any other team in Europe, including Leinster (especially without BOD-D'Arcy).

Were you laughing yesterday per chance?
3 Gold Stars
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Probably choking the chicken over their huge density
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:

-I laugh out loud when I see people claiming that Leinster fans would have cheered the team louder than ever in the last 15 minutes of the game, unlike ASM fans did. I was in the Aviva stadium in december when Leinster lost against Clermont, the blue fans where quiet as f%~k during the whole game. I was in Cardiff in the 2011 final, Leinster fans were quiet as f%~k during the first half. My point is not to blame you for being quiet in harsh moments, but please don't pretend to be something you are not.

Well they claim that they are the jolly jumper it'd be BS name if they were otherwise:-D
VGE
Graduate

Post by VGE »

(...) je souhaite que la Providence veille sur la France, pour son bonheur, pour son bien et pour sa grandeur. Au revoir !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9PjBgWO ... ata_player
illthinkofsomething
Bookworm

Post by illthinkofsomething »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:

I tend to be quiet at games but am always delighted to see other Leinsterati giving it sox and I think there is a strong arguement to be made for a three time winner playing at home getting past HC final newbies....winning is a learned art. Would have liked to see ASM win but am glad to see Leinster's unbeaten HC campaign record intact.
2009 2011 2012
Lions me hole, I have no interest in watching Irishmen getting injured playing for England in Welsh shirts....it has a ring of the Somme to it
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Clermont fans got the smell of death yesterday, just as we did in our home game against them. Hard to pretend to believe.

And yeah, still think I've seen that Toulon game plan roll into Dublin many's a time and slinking off home with its tail between its legs.
D2 Blue
Bookworm

Post by D2 Blue »

fourthirtythree wrote:Clermont fans got the smell of death yesterday, just as we did in our home game against them. Hard to pretend to believe.

And yeah, still think I've seen that Toulon game plan roll into Dublin many's a time and slinking off home with its tail between its legs.
That thought occurred to me about Clermont too yesterday. I particularly remember that feeling in the December home game. You kinda know when its not going to be a good day. In December Clermont looked like they could pick off scores at will.

But they looked so nervous yesterday. Even after the tries, i had the feeling that Toulon could haul themselves back in. Easy to say after the fact, of course, but Clermont just didnt seem to have that swagger about them. As for the drop goal attempt at the end, that was sheer panic. They had a second chance at it and if they had any composure they would have set about the maul again for a final attempt. Dare I say it, ifs and buts and all, but if say Leinster or Munster were in that position, would they have messed up too? Possibly not.
Gwan Leinster!! Gwan Seapoint Dragons!!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Really sorry you couldn't close the deal yesterday. You were the better team. Your route- nah... duty now, is to come back and win it! Just not next year as I'm planning that Leinster will following our 'sabbatical' this season.

As to that exchange on Twitter between Delon Armitage and Brian Moore!!! :shock: Jaysus, who have thought Brian Moore would be our standard bearer for decency?? :?
kendalgerty
Graduate

Post by kendalgerty »

I have to say my heart was broken for Clermont. I surprised myself how gutted I was after the match.

They are almost like a tragic Shakespearian charcater, so much to admire and such greatness within them, but their fatal flaw just keeps haunting them.

Once Toulon got the try and the lead, I just got that sinking feeling. No matter how many lineouts they had in the oppo 22 in the last 10 minutes I never felt they were going to score. The pictures of their team leaders slumped in their seats on the bench when the match was stilll there for the having said it all. Shades of New Zealand in 2007.
http://whiffofcordite.com/ - Whiff of Cordite - The Rugby Nerd's Blog
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

limecat wrote:
That's a banning offence, straight up.
Has there EVER been a bigger pr!*k in world rugby than Armitage? I don't understand how he gets away without being lamped every couple of games.