ROG Retiring

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Maradona10
Bookworm

ROG Retiring

Post by Maradona10 »

Apparently. According to the journalist who must not be named.

Fair play to the lad for all his records, appearances and such. I never was the biggest fan, but his career was fairly impressive whatever way you look at it.

Not his fault he kept getting picked for Ireland despite form.
"Andy Goode? More like Andy Foooooooode" - Phil Kearns
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Re: ROG Retiring

Post by Avenger »

Confirmed over the weekend.
Whether you were a fan of his or not, he had a fantastic career, had huge mental strength and was one of Irelands greats.
Good luck to him in his coaching career.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

A great place kicker, thats about it.

Good luck to him in France. Hope he's packed the factor +50.
3 Gold Stars
fungalboy
Graduate

Post by fungalboy »

People have short memories...

For a very long time he was the best option we had at OH for Ireland and he was part of a generation that changed our performances from consistently awful to generally good with outbreaks of excellent.

He had his limitations and they have been plain for a long time, he probably stayed on 2yrs too long at international level, he also was unrepentantly proud of his Munster team and ethos which irked as a Leinster fan in the mid naughties.

The fact that he seemed to behave childishly competitive, that his "tackling" technique never improved one iota, that Kidney kept picking him when he was on the way down and the media love in for every kick he put into the corner were grating, but not all his fault.

At the end of the day I wish him well and will remember a good player for Ireland (we all cheered when that DG went over in '09), his balls of steel (missed two sitters in the ERC QF this year and still came back to do the needful) and an inter-pro opponent that we loved to hate (a compliment IMHO - but boy, does he get up our noses a lot).

Comparisons to Johnnie when they are different points in their careers are not that helpful. Who knows, if they are working together then if J10 picks up more self-belief (has plenty to start with) and better kicking from hand then what harm?
Last edited by fungalboy on May 20th, 2013, 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"They play a running game, we play a running game..." Sky Sports Two 23/1/06
"There is only one Girve the Swerve..." Sky Sports Two 31/3/06
"What disappointment? We did everything we could do tonight..." Newstalk 106 26/5/06
kendalgerty
Graduate

Post by kendalgerty »

The below is taken from ROG's column for the Examiner.

"Not being able to close out that Ireland career in my own way is a regret but one that was beyond my control. The only thing I’d say would be that the most pleasing thing was winning the No. 10 jersey back [from Jonny Sexton] for the 2011 World Cup. That confirmed the belief I had in myself and the doggedness I had about myself."

Now I think ROG was a great player and everything, and I don't want to be starting a flame war about him, but I've a bit of a problem with this. The match in question was the quarter final in the World Cup. ROG was selected to start and we lost. In fact, ROG played so poorly that he never started another match for ireland. How can it be pleasing to have been selected for a match only to then play terribly and get knocked out of the World Cup. As much as I respect ROG, these things get my goat up a little bit.
http://whiffofcordite.com/ - Whiff of Cordite - The Rugby Nerd's Blog
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/o ... 81954.html

MrsROG giving it socks in the indo, meeoooww.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
lemansky
Beginner

Post by lemansky »

blockhead wrote:http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/o ... 81954.html

That was a good start to my day :lol:
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

blockhead wrote:http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/o ... 81954.html

Like husband, like wife. She even looks like him. I expect she went puce as well when she was having her rant.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

You have to feel for them. Obviously everyone around them, including or especially Kidney, was telling them it was all going great. Sport is a bit like politics: in the end it's your friends that do you in, not your enemies.

At least his last pro-match was fantastic. Unfortunately they lost, but there is no shame in losing to a team like that and playing out of your skins.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Rag journalism as ever.

Did Mark O'Regan really qualify from uni to write this type of shite?
She also joked that she was "gutted" when she and Ronan didn't receive an invite to Prince William's wedding.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Wife in 'thinks husband is good' shocker. I don't see the point of this save an attempt at embarrassing ROG which is pointless as hes pretty shameless, or his wife, which is kind of low.
I have Bumbleflex
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Dave Cahill wrote:Wife in 'thinks husband is good' shocker. I don't see the point of this save an attempt at embarrassing ROG which is pointless as hes pretty shameless, or his wife, which is kind of low.
It's further grist to the "RO'G was treated shamefully" mill. Is it really that different from Quinlan and Frankie on Against the Head talking about how RO'G would be the man for the job irrespective of his dreadful performances?
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Best of luck to O'Gara, he gave us some amazing memories, most obvious one being his contribution to the grand slam in 09.

You mightn't like him, but he gave his heart and soul to rugby and you can only respect the man for that. All the best Mr. & Mrs. O'Gara.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions