Welsh Rugby 2013/2014

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Welsh Rugby 2013/2014

Post by JB1973 »

Fireworks wrote:As it stands Connacht are 4 points away from qualifying for European rugby under their own steam. This would be big for them but not so good for Welsh rugby as they would be taking Scarlets spot and that would leave only one qualifier from Wales. Much as I would like to see the westies make it in I do not think it is good for the competition to have four from Ireland with one from each of the others and one of those because they were given a spot rather than earning it.
Nope but it wouldn't hurt to have two scots in it? The Scarlets and their stand alone and damn the rest of welsh rugby, are a major cause of the current troubles we have here.

I'd love them to miss out on HC rugby and it would in the long term do more good than harm to the welsh game, sadly it's not likely to happen we will see them in the HC next year :cry:
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

JB1973 wrote:
Fireworks wrote:As it stands Connacht are 4 points away from qualifying for European rugby under their own steam. This would be big for them but not so good for Welsh rugby as they would be taking Scarlets spot and that would leave only one qualifier from Wales. Much as I would like to see the westies make it in I do not think it is good for the competition to have four from Ireland with one from each of the others and one of those because they were given a spot rather than earning it.
Nope but it wouldn't hurt to have two scots in it? The Scarlets and their stand alone and damn the rest of welsh rugby, are a major cause of the current troubles we have here.

I'd love them to miss out on HC rugby and it would in the long term do more good than harm to the welsh game, sadly it's not likely to happen we will see them in the HC next year :cry:
Can't all be stick with the Welsh clubs/regions though! The carrot has to appear at some point too!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

The Doc wrote:
I think some of the rationale is that the increased sponsorship for the new Euro Cup will be split between English, French and Pro12. While not finalised, the split within Pro12 may not be (or at least not completely) per team participating. As with the current split in Engalnd - all teams get an equal share of the HEC participation money but teams that progress get the bonus money.

So the regions may be thinking that a larger Euro payout will go to the Pro12 Unions who will then split it out. They may be looking at increased funding even without qualifying for the top tier comp.

What is doesn't allow for is compartive increases - so they will get an absolute increase n funds but the they will in fact be relatively worse off compared to English, French (and maybe Irish) teams
So essentially this new agreement will reward failure as much as success? No wonder the Welsh regions want it!

Even still though, they may feel like they've hit the jackpot with 2 million quid but it's still a drop in the ocean in terms of competing with us, let alone the French.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Yeah, but at various points they have faced, and as far as I know though I haven't had any information in a year or so, still face crises of existence.

2M cashflow is worth an awful lot to them.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

fourthirtythree wrote:Yeah, but at various points they have faced, and as far as I know though I haven't had any information in a year or so, still face crises of existence.

It would be worth a lot less if they got off their arses and actually improved their on-field and off-field activities to improve their teams and actually attract sponsors and paying customers through the gate.
Instead they just bitch about the WRU and dream the pathetic dream of an Anglo-Welsh league that will never happen.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Donny B. wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:Yeah, but at various points they have faced, and as far as I know though I haven't had any information in a year or so, still face crises of existence.

It would be worth a lot less if they got off their arses and actually improved their on-field and off-field activities to improve their teams and actually attract sponsors and paying customers through the gate.
Instead they just bitch about the WRU and dream the pathetic dream of an Anglo-Welsh league that will never happen.
what do Cardiff and Dragons do though when all theyre big players have left for France or PRL and all their decent players have left for Scarlets or Ospreys to play top level European rugby?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

15 Sam Davies

14 Jeff Hassler

13 Hanno Dirksen

12 Jonathan Spratt

11 Aisea Natoga

10 Dan Biggar

9 Rhys Webb

1 Duncan Jones

2 Scott Baldwin

3 Aaron Jarvis

4 James King

5 Alun Wyn Jones (Capt)

6 Sam Lewis

7 Justin Tipuric

8 Dan Baker

REPLACEMENTS

16 Scott Otten

17 Nicky Smith

18 Adam Jones

19 Tyler Ardron

20 Morgan Allen

21 Joe Bearman

22 Tom Habberfield

23 Richard Fusell

1 Gordon Reid
2 Pat MacArthur
3 Jon Welsh
4 Leone Nakarawa
5 Jonny Gray
6 Rob Harley
7 Chris Fusaro
8 Josh Strauss
9 Chris Cusiter C
10 Duncan Weir
11 Niko Matawalu
12 Finn Russell
13 Alex Dunbar
14 Tommy Seymour
15 Peter Murchie

Replacements

16 Dougie Hall
17 Jerry Yanuyanutawa
18 Moray Low
19 Ryan Wilson
20 Tyrone Holmes
21 Ruaridh Jackson
22 Richie Vernon

Ashley Beack and Ryan Jones out with injuries, Adam on the bench again, looks a big ask for us tonight.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Chris Cjeckaj joining Cardiff exodus
flashash2k9

Post by flashash2k9 »

Welsh rugby won't work until Roger Lewis and Pickering are gone. Killing the game at ALL levels not just at pro level. Most of the clubs are afraid to speak out against them in fear of getting reduced funding.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

watched a few minutes of Swansea v Chelsea today and the contrast between the vibrant packed stadium today and the sparse attendance on Friday night was striking. The Swansea public are far more interested in supporting a struggling soccer team with 2 Welsh players out of the 14 on the pitch than a rugby team packed with Welsh internationals in serious contention for its league. Clearly the Premier League is a far more attractive product for the public than the Rabo is but still it is a terrible indictment of both the WRU and the Ospreys that they have so comprehensively failed to attract decent crowds to the club game. Presumably things on that front will only get worse with the exodus of the better players
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

enby wrote:watched a few minutes of Swansea v Chelsea today and the contrast between the vibrant packed stadium today and the sparse attendance on Friday night was striking. The Swansea public are far more interested in supporting a struggling soccer team with 2 Welsh players out of the 14 on the pitch than a rugby team packed with Welsh internationals in serious contention for its league. Clearly the Premier League is a far more attractive product for the public than the Rabo is but still it is a terrible indictment of both the WRU and the Ospreys that they have so comprehensively failed to attract decent crowds to the club game. Presumably things on that front will only get worse with the exodus of the better players
Cardiff are being relegated so that might help the Blues
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

enby wrote:watched a few minutes of Swansea v Chelsea today and the contrast between the vibrant packed stadium today and the sparse attendance on Friday night was striking. The Swansea public are far more interested in supporting a struggling soccer team with 2 Welsh players out of the 14 on the pitch than a rugby team packed with Welsh internationals in serious contention for its league. Clearly the Premier League is a far more attractive product for the public than the Rabo is but still it is a terrible indictment of both the WRU and the Ospreys that they have so comprehensively failed to attract decent crowds to the club game. Presumably things on that front will only get worse with the exodus of the better players

It's not as simple as that though, Swansea city have basically all of West Wales from Port Talbot down to get support from, Ospreys basically end at the border of Swansea/Llanelli.

The premiership is a hyped up monster of a league with wall to wall coverage on all media fronts, if you ever had a team in Dublin what gates do you think they would pull in for the likes of man united,liverpool,chelsea etc. I'm guessing 50,000 plus every home game? Leinster are really well supported but that would blow even your gates out of the water.

I'm not defending the c@rp gates the regions get for 1 minute and we do need to sort that out, but until you get a premier league side in your own back yard you really don't get a feel of how big a draw it is.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

JB1973 wrote:

It's not as simple as that though, Swansea city have basically all of West Wales from Port Talbot down to get support from, Ospreys basically end at the border of Swansea/Llanelli.

The premiership is a hyped up monster of a league with wall to wall coverage on all media fronts, if you ever had a team in Dublin what gates do you think they would pull in for the likes of man united,liverpool,chelsea etc. I'm guessing 50,000 plus every home game? Leinster are really well supported but that would blow even your gates out of the water.

I'm not defending the c@rp gates the regions get for 1 minute and we do need to sort that out, but until you get a premier league side in your own back yard you really don't get a feel of how big a draw it is.
You're possibly overstating the influence it has too. Neither Cardiff or Swansea were playing premier league soccer 5-10 years ago iirc and gate receipts were hardly stellar.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

offshorerules wrote:
JB1973 wrote:

You're possibly overstating the influence it has too. Neither Cardiff or Swansea were playing premier league soccer 5-10 years ago iirc and gate receipts were hardly stellar.

I'm not saying the regions gates are down to the football success that fault is no one but our own.

I'm just saying the hype of the premiership is massive especially for sides who were in the lower tier for the last 20 years and whose fans have only dreamt of seeing the big sides.

I don't begrudge the Swansea any success they are my home team and I always wish them well, but I'll repeat my statement if Dublin had a premiership football team their gates would blow leinsters out of the water
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Millwall pitched the idea oncoming to Dublin some years ago for that very reason. I think the local soccer clubs had a collective meltdown as they figured out (probably correctly) their fans would desert in droves if that happened.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

JB1973 wrote:
I don't begrudge the Swansea any success they are my home team and I always wish them well, but I'll repeat my statement if Dublin had a premiership football team their gates would blow leinsters out of the water
Absolutely. It would be Lansdowne Road for every match. Bar when they were playing a team with next to no support in Ireland like Swansea or Cardiff. Any of the big English teams though? Well you couldn't buy tickets for Liverpool or Man Utd. or Chelsea, Man. City. They'd be out the gate.

Can't see the home team generating much support here though without a significant Irish playing panel. And I don't think that is in any way a threat to Leinster if they did it.
Leinster Exile
Mullet

Post by Leinster Exile »

domhnallj wrote:Millwall pitched the idea oncoming to Dublin some years ago for that very reason. I think the local soccer clubs had a collective meltdown as they figured out (probably correctly) their fans would desert in droves if that happened.
It was Wimbledon , aka Dublin Dons. LOI clubs and Pat Dolan led a campaign but to be honest UEFA never would have backed it
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

JB1973 wrote:

Then how come you get 70,000 at the millenium for Welsh gameas and bugger all at the regional games?
Yes we fill the Aviva for Ireland matches but we also get very good crowds for the 4 priovincial teams
This is the same in Scotland and one I still don't really understand
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Leinster Exile wrote:
domhnallj wrote:Millwall pitched the idea oncoming to Dublin some years ago for that very reason. I think the local soccer clubs had a collective meltdown as they figured out (probably correctly) their fans would desert in droves if that happened.
It was Wimbledon , aka Dublin Dons. LOI clubs and Pat Dolan led a campaign but to be honest UEFA never would have backed it
Well, some team with no supporters. Soccer confuses me.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Leoslovechild wrote:
JB1973 wrote:

Then how come you get 70,000 at the millenium for Welsh gameas and bugger all at the regional games?
Yes we fill the Aviva for Ireland matches but we also get very good crowds for the 4 priovincial teams
This is the same in Scotland and one I still don't really understand

A wales 6 nations international game is more of an occasion than a rugby match, they will always sell out.

Plus the whole country supports wales, due the @rse ended up way we set up regional rugby large chunks of the population have no affinity with the regional sides unlike Ireland where all off the country is covered by it's 4 sides. The fact we sell out so often for so many test matches shows the interest is there for rugby in Wales, if you don't understand that I'm a bit surprised tbh.