Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Post by Dave Cahill »

artaneboy wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Three cheers for Brendan Venter
Sarcasm?

I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Brendan Venter, opinionated and South African. Surprise, surprise.

Unofficial rugby spokesperson for the Rupert family.
Last edited by Ruckedtobits on December 30th, 2019, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Dave Cahill wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
Sarcasm?

have you watched that clip using the subtitles? hilarious.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

fourthirtythree wrote:Not only did he call them cheats but he poured scorn on those claiming victimhood for The Salaries and criticising those who complained about their cheating "Sometimes the people who point out Saracens have cheated are painted as the bad guys but there are supporters of clubs who have seen coaches get sacked and players leave in part because of Saracens cheating,”

Don't relent BB!
agreed. I was in london yesterday, in a sarries pub in hertfordshire watching the game with an edinburgh buddy. both of us were cheering on exeter. great craic and banter from most of the sarries fans who are genuinely humbled and embarassed about the salary cheating. 1 or 2 were really angsty and had all sorts of excuses...."there is no salary cap in europe", which I believe is incorrect, France brought in theirs a few years ago after the toulon/racing cheque waving fest..."it is just jealousy, we didn't do anything wrong"...."it was only [insert a few hundred k] over the salary cap limit. "everyone is doing it". "it wasn't cheating" are among a few of the excuees I have heard.

1 of the angsty type stormed out of the pub when they lost the ball in the last few mins close to the exeter line. left his pint sitting there. childish bell end.

As I say, most of them were good craic and took it on the chin..."beaten by the better team" type stuff at the final whistle.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Dave Cahill wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
Sarcasm?

Okay. Remember that- and his hilarious whining when we beat them in 2011/ 12. So do you value the entertainment value of the obvious partiality and mendacity- or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

?
I have Bumbleflex
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Saracens and the Salary Cap – Part III: The Legal Implications
1. Are Saracens Compliant with the 2019/20 Regulations?
2. How might players’ contracts be affected?
3. Could other Premiership Clubs sue Saracens?
4. Could Nigel Wray’s position be at risk?
5. Could Saracens sue?

http://rugbyandthelaw.com/2019/12/28/sa ... -sanction/

interesting read.
Look like Nigel wray could be on the way out because he signed a "false certification" of the accounts without disclosing all the payments to players....according to that legal synopsis of what happens next with salarycens.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

There’s a good chance they’ll meet again at Sandy Park in the HC QF. That’ll be tasty, if it comes to pass. There’s no doubt now that Exeter can knock them out
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

fourthirtythree wrote:Not only did he call them cheats but he poured scorn on those claiming victimhood for The Salaries and criticising those who complained about their cheating "Sometimes the people who point out Saracens have cheated are painted as the bad guys but there are supporters of clubs who have seen coaches get sacked and players leave in part because of Saracens cheating,”

Don't relent BB!

Saracens are masters of that. No matter what happens, what the controversy, they twist things to make themselves the victims and use it to fuel their on field performances. It's genuinely impressive and probably encouraged them to disregard the rules a fair bit which might now backfire.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Twist wrote:There’s a good chance they’ll meet again at Sandy Park in the HC QF. That’ll be tasty, if it comes to pass. There’s no doubt now that Exeter can knock them out
if we or another irish team don't win the HK this season, I wouldn't be sorry to see exeter take it. must be difficult to stomach the last 2 premiership losses to salarycens now that everyone knows their financial ways.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:
Twist wrote:There’s a good chance they’ll meet again at Sandy Park in the HC QF. That’ll be tasty, if it comes to pass. There’s no doubt now that Exeter can knock them out
if we or another irish team don't win the HK this season, I wouldn't be sorry to see exeter take it. must be difficult to stomach the last 2 premiership losses to salarycens now that everyone knows their financial ways.
Yeah Exeter are a quality team without all the star players Saracens have which tells us how well coached they are.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Nigel Wray has decided to retire as Chairman of Saracens with immediate effect.

Wray said: “As we enter a new year, a new decade, it is time for the Club to make a fresh start. I am not getting any younger and feel this is the right moment for me to stand down as Chairman and just enjoy being a fan of this incredible rugby club. I will always be committed to the wonderful Saracens family.

“The Wray family will continue to provide the required financial support to the Club, and I will remain actively engaged in the work of the Saracens Sport Foundation and Saracens High School, as part of the Club’s ongoing commitment to our community in north London.”

A new independent Chairman will be appointed imminently.

Edward Griffiths will take up the role of interim CEO for a 12-month period. Mitesh Velani will assume a consultancy position at the Club and remain on the Saracens board.
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Taking his toys and going home or protecting the club from the scandal?
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Dave Cahill wrote:Nigel Wray has decided to retire as Chairman of Saracens with immediate effect.

Wray said: “As we enter a new year, a new decade, it is time for the Club to make a fresh start. I am not getting any younger and feel this is the right moment for me to stand down as Chairman and just enjoy being a fan of this incredible rugby club. I will always be committed to the wonderful Saracens family.

“The Wray family will continue to provide the required financial support to the Club, and I will remain actively engaged in the work of the Saracens Sport Foundation and Saracens High School, as part of the Club’s ongoing commitment to our community in north London.”

A new independent Chairman will be appointed imminently.

Edward Griffiths will take up the role of interim CEO for a 12-month period. Mitesh Velani will assume a consultancy position at the Club and remain on the Saracens board.
Looks like there is something in that blog post Myles quoted:
MylesNaGapoleen wrote:Saracens and the Salary Cap – Part III: The Legal Implications
1. Are Saracens Compliant with the 2019/20 Regulations?
2. How might players’ contracts be affected?
3. Could other Premiership Clubs sue Saracens?
4. Could Nigel Wray’s position be at risk?
5. Could Saracens sue?

http://rugbyandthelaw.com/2019/12/28/sa ... -sanction/

interesting read.
Look like Nigel wray could be on the way out because he signed a "false certification" of the accounts without disclosing all the payments to players....according to that legal synopsis of what happens next with salarycens.
Of course this is only in the civil legal area, and as long as the accounts provided to Companies House in the UK are correct Nigel won't be in line to be criminally liable for fraud and false accounting.
Anyone But New Zealand
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Stephen Jones has gone on hunger strike until Wray reinstates himself.

I love how they keep claiming that they're innocent and yet something like this happens. That said, and I know I'm repeating myself here, I had some VERY brief dealings with him a while ago and he was very helpful. I think the stuff about him caring about people is genuinely true.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Stephen Jones has gone on hunger strike until Wray reinstates himself.

I love how they keep claiming that they're innocent and yet something like this happens. That said, and I know I'm repeating myself here, I had some VERY brief dealings with him a while ago and he was very helpful. I think the stuff about him caring about people is genuinely true.
Yeah, I've met him before and he's a really nice fellah. Doesn't mean that he didn't break the rules, but he's not a pantomime villain.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

hugonaut wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Stephen Jones has gone on hunger strike until Wray reinstates himself.

Yeah, I've met him before and he's a really nice fellah. Doesn't mean that he didn't break the rules, but he's not a pantomime villain.
Jaysus! I thought you meant Stephen Jones for a minute. :o

Although.... I met him once and he was a good laugh. (Don't kill me)
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

In fairness being Nigel Wray is a bit like being a lottery winner.

You go into the pub and buy everyone a pint and it's "Who the fock does he think he is coming in here throwing his money around/showing off/trying to buy our friendship."

You go into the pub and don't buy everyone a pint. "Fock. See yerman. Wins the focking lottery and wouldn't even buy us a focking pint."
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

johng wrote:In fairness being Nigel Wray is a bit like being a lottery winner.

You go into the pub and buy everyone a pint and it's "Who the fock does he think he is coming in here throwing his money around/showing off/trying to buy our friendship."

You go into the pub and don't buy everyone a pint. "Fock. See yerman. Wins the focking lottery and wouldn't even buy us a focking pint."
I think the problem is that he was only buying pints in one pub and the other pubs couldn't compete.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

johng wrote:In fairness being Nigel Wray is a bit like being a lottery winner.

The real problem was he owned the pub and put up the price of all the drinks he liked so that others couldn't afford to buy them.