Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Post by blockhead »

kermischocolate wrote: I believe there is no salary cap in the championship but any club looking for promotion must have been with salary cap regs for season of promotion and season before that.
Yes, they have to fit within the cap the year of promotion. Stops clubs from front-loading salaries in year 1 and giving reduced salaries in the prem.
Not that St.Sarries would get up to anything like that now.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

https://twitter.com/AndyGoode10/status/ ... 40833?s=09
Hearing that Ed Griffiths the @Saracens CEO has been acting as an agent without an RFU license and also is representing some of the current Saracens players! Pretty sure this is against the @premrugby regulations and will be investigated as it means he shouldn’t be a club CEO....
Anyone But New Zealand
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

imagine a number of these guys have relegation clauses?
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Logorrhea wrote:imagine a number of these guys have relegation clauses?
Word is that as Sarries dealt with the players direct and cut agents out, Saracens players may not have relegation clauses as they never thought it would happen.
Anyone But New Zealand
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

How much does this tarnish Mark McCaul I wonder?
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Thread covering the Stephen Jones watch for those(all?) of us blocked.

https://twitter.com/rugbykino/status/12 ... 22657?s=21

There’s one in there where someone doesn’t even tag him and he responds anyway which means he’s searching his name....
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Morf wrote:How much does this tarnish Mark McCaul I wonder?
Everything he achieved in the premiership was through cheating. The European trophies are fine by me.

Think his reputation has taken a right thumping though.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Logorrhea wrote:
Everything he achieved in the premiership was through cheating. The European trophies are fine by me.

I don’t think it affects him.

We knew all along they had a particularly strong squad, now we know how.
We knew about the sugar daddy.

We also knew that they were well prepared, hard to beat and high achievers. I think we’ve all seen enough expensive misfits to know the difference.

Exeter ran them close while making a profit and without a level playing field. They’ve gone way up in my estimation.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

When you see how well their kids played in Munster and to a slightly lesser extent in Racing. They were a well run club (rugby wise). I'd say McCaul would be snapped up if he became available.
They didn't just spends loadsamoney and then, hey presto, 3 Heinos in 4 years, it dosen't work like that.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

paddyor wrote:Thread covering the Stephen Jones watch for those(all?) of us blocked.

https://twitter.com/rugbykino/status/12 ... 22657?s=21

There’s one in there where someone doesn’t even tag him and he responds anyway which means he’s searching his name....
His column in todays Sunday Times is a bizarre word vomit
I have Bumbleflex
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

What price a Saracens move to the Pro14?!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

artaneboy wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Officially relegated

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/news/p ... -relegated
Massive. They will surely switch their focus to the HC now. Better playing them in a QF or SF at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not sure they will be able to focus on anything. Set aside for the moment that this is a rugby club and think purely in terms of the organisation and employees. The players are going to be getting it in the ear from everyone related to them, the internationals are going to be hammered by their contemporaries, they have no job security now, the director is halfway to the hills and all monetary arrangements looking shaky as to whether they will be honoured. Then there is the Sarries players who were not getting a bung on top of salaries, they are going to be relegated for something they didn't have any part in, there will be animosity brewing.
On top of this there is the agent issue, the top international players with none are going to be hearing that the RU doesn't want them playing in the championship, but they have nowhere to go in the premiership and seemingly some level of solidarity between clubs and agents against anyone adjacent to this mess.
The club will eat itself imo, strikes, exodus etc.
Last edited by Peg Leg on January 19th, 2020, 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Logorrhea wrote:

Yeah this, but I think plenty of clubs would take him in the top/pro14 or super league.
Daniel Sullivan
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

joooooe wrote:What price a Saracens move to the Pro14?!
Turns out Rugpypass has already considered it: https://amp.rugbypass.com/news/the-radi ... ssion=true

To answer my own question: a big price. Ownership would appear to be a major stumbling block.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

This would have been more fun with Venter as head coach. McCall very patient, polite and focused during pre match interview.
Daniel Sullivan
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

They started great here but look very brittle since Billy V went off injured.

Racing’s attacking plan seems to be; pass it to Vakatawa, repeat. But it’s working well for them now.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Have been thinking a little how much Saracens have compromised the tournaments they are playing in this season.

They chose to field weakened teams in their away games against Racing [L], Munster [L+BP] and Ospreys [W] in order to concentrate on their league campaign.

Their Premiership season commenced 19 October, and their first points deduction was announced on 5 November. They played three matches before the sanction [under condition one, i.e. just a normal season] and five under the first sanction [condition two, having to make up loads of points to stay up] and now will play out the rest of the league under a second sanction [condition three, which is automatic relegation and thus no reason to compete].

They've played 8 games in the league at this stage, and there are 12 teams in the league, so there are some teams who haven't played Saracens either home or away yet. Those teams will now only play against a demotivated team. Exeter had to sweat blood to get a home win against that financially doped Sarries outfit who were fighting for their lives. It's hardly a level playing field.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

hugonaut wrote:Have been thinking a little how much Saracens have compromised the tournaments they are playing in this season.

They chose to field weakened teams in their away games against Racing [L], Munster [L+BP] and Ospreys [W] in order to concentrate on their league campaign.

Their Premiership season commenced 19 October, and their first points deduction was announced on 5 November. They played three matches before the sanction [under condition one, i.e. just a normal season] and five under the first sanction [condition two, having to make up loads of points to stay up] and now will play out the rest of the league under a second sanction [condition three, which is automatic relegation and thus no reason to compete].

They've played 8 games in the league at this stage, and there are 12 teams in the league, so there are some teams who haven't played Saracens either home or away yet. Those teams will now only play against a demotivated team. Exeter had to sweat blood to get a home win against that financially doped Sarries outfit who were fighting for their lives. It's hardly a level playing field.
I suspect all the other GP sides (but especially Exeter) are thinking as much about how Saracens have compromised the the Premiership over the last four or five seasons...

They have also indirectly compromised the integrity of the ECC even without the salary cap there.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Four Stars
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Peg Leg wrote:This would have been more fun with Venter as head coach. McCall very patient, polite and focused during pre match interview.
Forget I said that, just listened to rugby union weekly. Extended interview with Brendan Venter, who sees all of this as being unfair. Weirdly they didn't let cohost Laura Scott (the journo that broke the original story in 2015) grill him.
Daniel Sullivan
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Listening to that right now as it happens - he's up to his neck in the Flavor Aid
I have Bumbleflex