Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Re: Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Post by artaneboy »

Dave Cahill wrote:Listening to that right now as it happens - he's up to his neck in the Flavor Aid
He mixed the bloody Flavour Aid!

Read that jackass Stephen Jones column in yesterday’s Sunday Times, barely coherent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

hugonaut wrote:Have been thinking a little how much Saracens have compromised the tournaments they are playing in this season.

They chose to field weakened teams in their away games against Racing [L], Munster [L+BP] and Ospreys [W] in order to concentrate on their league campaign.

Their Premiership season commenced 19 October, and their first points deduction was announced on 5 November. They played three matches before the sanction [under condition one, i.e. just a normal season] and five under the first sanction [condition two, having to make up loads of points to stay up] and now will play out the rest of the league under a second sanction [condition three, which is automatic relegation and thus no reason to compete].

They've played 8 games in the league at this stage, and there are 12 teams in the league, so there are some teams who haven't played Saracens either home or away yet. Those teams will now only play against a demotivated team. Exeter had to sweat blood to get a home win against that financially doped Sarries outfit who were fighting for their lives. It's hardly a level playing field.
In your recent Demented Mole piece, Leinster's League, you analysed the impact on Leinster's performance of having effectively qualified for the Play-off games by 1st March 2019 and the impact that had on motivating players for the final games of the League Season. I concur with that analysis and wonder what will be the impact on the Saracen's players and staff of the realisation that the games they play from 20th January until 3/4th April will all be meaningless, in terms of competition, future contracts and even their future careers. This, alongside injury to any of their England contingent, may be the most influential factors in our forthcoming encounter with them
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Dave Cahill wrote:Listening to that right now as it happens - he's up to his neck in the Flavor Aid
Absolute nonsense from Venter claiming they are only £500K over the cap. They're being relegated over that amount? That must be how much they've added to their wage bill just this season with Daly etc. I'd love to know how much they were paying in salaries excluding the co-investments.
Last edited by nc6000 on January 20th, 2020, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

It really is - I'd say, based it must be said on supposition and lot of adding 2+2, that Saracens are wildly over the Salary Cap, far more than the 2million that is being posited. If they were 'only' the 2 mill that everyone reckons, then they wouldn't have a problem with an audit - but the situation where they are willing to take any punishment over opening their books?
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Just had a thought, presumably Sarries and the players won't have to undo their private business arrangements? I'm not sure how their salaries were weighted in terms of their rugby salary and the extra amount, but it could mean that they can take an income from another club and not end up losing much/any money.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Dave Cahill wrote:It really is - I'd say, based it must be said on supposition and lot of adding 2+2, that Saracens are wildly over the Salary Cap, far more than the 2million that is being posited. If they were 'only' the 2 mill that everyone reckons, then they wouldn't have a problem with an audit - but the situation where they are willing to take any punishment over opening their books?
The only caveat... The offer apparently was to open the books AND give back their titles.

While still strange they took the relegation, I can sort of see why they don't want to be erased from the history books

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Dave Cahill wrote:It really is - I'd say, based it must be said on supposition and lot of adding 2+2, that Saracens are wildly over the Salary Cap, far more than the 2million that is being posited. If they were 'only' the 2 mill that everyone reckons, then they wouldn't have a problem with an audit - but the situation where they are willing to take any punishment over opening their books?
Is it not more likely that the audit would reveal illegality and in essence the amount which they were over matters not?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote:
Is it not more likely that the audit would reveal illegality and in essence the amount which they were over matters not?
If there is a suggestion of illegality should the authorities (law or revenue) be asking questions.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Peg Leg wrote:
I think the amount by which they were over matters a lot. Quins (I think) were fined a few seasons back because they were over the limit by a 'relatively' small amount - I think it was under £100,000. It was accepted the excess was inadvertent - they paid their fine and moved on. (Say) £70,000 is 1% of a salary cap of £7,000,000.

Saracens were at least £2mill over the cap and therefore almost 30% over it, possibly even more. That is not inadvertent, that is deliberately flouting the rules. I think they would have had a problem with a further audit because it may have shown that they were in truth making no effort to fix the issue (or only tinkering with trying to fix it). Relegation being accepted may actually assist them in solving the issue. A lot of players won't want to be playing championship Rugby next season and will either seek moves away or loan deals. None of the England internationals in their squad will feel that championship rugby will prepare them for the 6N or enhance their chances of Lions selection. Will Eddie Jones want to pick even proven internationals if they are playing a lower grade rugby for an entire season?

I don't believe that relegation will automatically mean they will not lose their AP/GP titles. However if a further audit was to be as scathing as it may have had the potential to be then it may only have increased the calls for the their titles to be removed retrospectively. (I am not sure the PRL has the power to do this by the way).
Four Stars
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Oldschool wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
If there is a suggestion of illegality should the authorities (law or revenue) be asking questions.
Breaking the salary cap rules is not illegal to the extent it may warrant criminal investigation. Its a contractual matter between competing clubs and the organisers of a competition. As long as Saracens (and their players) paid their taxes then there is no reason for the Revenue authorities to investigate.
Four Stars
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Lar wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
I think the amount by which they were over matters a lot. Quins (I think) were fined a few seasons back because they were over the limit by a 'relatively' small amount - I think it was under £100,000. It was accepted the excess was inadvertent - they paid their fine and moved on. (Say) £70,000 is 1% of a salary cap of £7,000,000.

Saracens were at least £2mill over the cap and therefore almost 30% over it, possibly even more. That is not inadvertent, that is deliberately flouting the rules. I think they would have had a problem with a further audit because it may have shown that they were in truth making no effort to fix the issue (or only tinkering with trying to fix it). Relegation being accepted may actually assist them in solving the issue. A lot of players won't want to be playing championship Rugby next season and will either seek moves away or loan deals. None of the England internationals in their squad will feel that championship rugby will prepare them for the 6N or enhance their chances of Lions selection. Will Eddie Jones want to pick even proven internationals if they are playing a lower grade rugby for an entire season?

I don't believe that relegation will automatically mean they will not lose their AP/GP titles. However if a further audit was to be as scathing as it may have had the potential to be then it may only have increased the calls for the their titles to be removed retrospectively. (I am not sure the PRL has the power to do this by the way).
I agree with you regarding the mater of how much, but I understood that they received the maximum fine and penalty available to the PRL, hence my comment that it probably doesn't matter if they are unable to increase the fine.
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Lar wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Is it not more likely that the audit would reveal illegality and in essence the amount which they were over matters not?
Breaking the salary cap rules is not illegal to the extent it may warrant criminal investigation. Its a contractual matter between competing clubs and the organisers of a competition. As long as Saracens (and their players) paid their taxes then there is no reason for the Revenue authorities to investigate.
True, but that would be revealed in a forensic audit, you would suspect.
Daniel Sullivan
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

The metro in london is reporting today that Salarysins could have avoided automatic relegation if they opened their books to an independent auditor AND return the premiership trophies won.
They chose not to do both.

Instead of taking it on the chin, accepting punishment for cheating, they instead chose to destroy the club. incredible stupidity.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Lar wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
Peg Leg wrote: If there is a suggestion of illegality should the authorities (law or revenue) be asking questions.
It's not. But perhaps a full audit would reveal the extent of how they have broke the salary cap and if they were at all creative with their taxes which HMRC would likely be very interested in. Any tax issues (for example) may not be directly related to the salary cap but may be shown up because of it.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:The metro in london is reporting today that Salarysins could have avoided automatic relegation if they opened their books to an independent auditor AND return the premiership trophies won.
Is there a reliable source for that second condition about handing the titles back? I've heard no one else mention it but Saracens apologists are grasping at it as a reason why the club would just accept relegation. Maintain the legacy of the club and two fingers to the rest having done nothing but care too much.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

kermischocolate wrote: It's not. But perhaps a full audit would reveal the extent of how they have broke the salary cap and if they were at all creative with their taxes which HMRC would likely be very interested in. Any tax issues (for example) may not be directly related to the salary cap but may be shown up because of it.
HMRC could choose to audit Saracens and the players any time they want. They don't have much of a threshold required to do it.
Anyone But New Zealand
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Logorrhea wrote:
MylesNaGapoleen wrote:The metro in london is reporting today that Salarysins could have avoided automatic relegation if they opened their books to an independent auditor AND return the premiership trophies won.
Is there a reliable source for that second condition about handing the titles back? I've heard no one else mention it but Saracens apologists are grasping at it as a reason why the club would just accept relegation. Maintain the legacy of the club and two fingers to the rest having done nothing but care too much.
Monye on BBC 5 rugby union weekly
Daniel Sullivan
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Logorrhea wrote:
From on a piece by Owen Slot and Alex Lowe in Saturdays Times

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/past-six-day ... -992697d5n
The prospect of relegation was not one that had been seriously considered by the other clubs until the Premiership Rugby board meeting on Tuesday.

Before then, Saracens had been set a series of conditions that had to be met if the club were to be considered compliant this season. These included:

•Reducing their wage bill by £2 million by the end of the month.

•Returning the trophies for winning the Premiership in 2018 and 2019.

•Nigel Wray’s resignation as chairman.

•The appointment of a new independent chairman.

The change in chairman has occurred but Saracens have been unable to comply with other demands.
I have Bumbleflex
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Thanks. Given the options they were given, I can kinda see why they took the nuclear option in the end.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

FLIP wrote:
kermischocolate wrote: It's not. But perhaps a full audit would reveal the extent of how they have broke the salary cap and if they were at all creative with their taxes which HMRC would likely be very interested in. Any tax issues (for example) may not be directly related to the salary cap but may be shown up because of it.
HMRC could choose to audit Saracens and the players any time they want. They don't have much of a threshold required to do it.
I know. But why would they unless they had a specific reason to? I just wonder what else is revealed by the books that it needs to be hidden?