Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

FLIP
Seán Cronin

Re: Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Post by FLIP »

Dave Cahill wrote: October 17th, 2020, 8:55 pm
Twist wrote: October 17th, 2020, 8:18 pm The clock said 79.51 rather than 79.57 at the end. Dunno why the timekeeper wasn’t listening to Nige, he was very clear.

Anyway Im glad Exeter won. Racing aren’t cheats like someone we could mention, but their success is built on a rich man’s chequebook like Toulon before them. I just don’t want to see that model rewarded.

I’d say Racing will take some stopping next year though. They must be getting fixated on winning it now, to the exclusion of all else.
Yep its preferable that a club owned by a wealthy entrepeneur who took over the club when they were in the second tier, got them promoted and built them a new purpose built stadium are successful over a club owned by a wealthy entrepeneur who took over the club when they were in the second tier, got them promoted and built them a new purpose built stadium.
Of course, in your attempt to maintain your curmudgeonly image you've failed to mention one of those teams spent a kings ransom in buying in players to try and create a winning team. The other built their own team from a mixture of homegrown talent and unfashionable players from other teams, spending wisely, not extending beyond their means and building up a team spirit.

To even be in the Premiership requires a wealthy backer. To stay there Exeter needed more. To win it they needed more. To win this, they needed more. And they've done that in a way that doesn't just involve bags of cash.
Anyone But New Zealand
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

cormac wrote: October 17th, 2020, 6:35 pm Have teams completely forgotten about the drop goal?
Agreed - anytime between 70 & 74 mins Racing could have relatively easily taken the lead....putting serious pressure on Exeter to try and retake the lead (particularly after Exeter went down to 14 men around the middle of that passage of play; and had looked superior early on in the game, but couldn't shake off Racing...)....taking a drop goal, then receiving the kick off, Racing could have concentrated on "keep ball" for the rest of the game instead of looking to score a Try.....it seems like the Racing collective memory of the Final in Bilbao in 2018 was forgotten; three points was huge in that game....being behind in the last 10 mins is not where you want to be, get ahead and let the other side chase you.....winning a game is all about the scoreboard....

smart decisions, like Rob Kearney's drop goal against Clermont in the 2012 Semi-Final, or either of Brian O'Driscoll/Johnny Sexton in the 2009 Final, all of which were more difficult than the opportunity Racing let slip yesterday, are part of how to win matches..... luck counts, refereeing decisions count, but most of all, the scoreboard counts....
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

FLIP wrote: October 18th, 2020, 9:56 am
Twist wrote: October 17th, 2020, 8:18 pm The clock said 79.51 rather than 79.57 at the end. Dunno why the timekeeper wasn’t listening to Nige, he was very clear.

Anyway Im glad Exeter won. Racing aren’t cheats like someone we could mention, but their success is built on a rich man’s chequebook like Toulon before them. I just don’t want to see that model rewarded.

I’d say Racing will take some stopping next year though. They must be getting fixated on winning it now, to the exclusion of all else.
Yep its preferable that a club owned by a wealthy entrepeneur who took over the club when they were in the second tier, got them promoted and built them a new purpose built stadium are successful over a club owned by a wealthy entrepeneur who took over the club when they were in the second tier, got them promoted and built them a new purpose built stadium.
Of course, in your attempt to maintain your curmudgeonly image you've failed to mention one of those teams spent a kings ransom in buying in players to try and create a winning team. The other built their own team from a mixture of homegrown talent and unfashionable players from other teams, spending wisely, not extending beyond their means and building up a team spirit.

To even be in the Premiership requires a wealthy backer. To stay there Exeter needed more. To win it they needed more. To win this, they needed more. And they've done that in a way that doesn't just involve bags of cash.

The likes of Stuart Hogg and Johnny Gray says otherwise. Plus they hoover up some of the best young English talent from other teams like Josh Hodge from Newcastle.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

dropkick wrote: October 18th, 2020, 7:22 pm
FLIP wrote: October 18th, 2020, 9:56 am

The likes of Stuart Hogg and Johnny Gray says otherwise. Plus they hoover up some of the best young English talent from other teams like Josh Hodge from Newcastle.
Counter point, Steenson and Whitten, as well as the raft of unfavoured English players who haven't gotten a look in elsewhere and internationally who have done the job week in and week out for Exeter.
Anyone But New Zealand
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Not getting selected internationally is an advantage for a club because they get more games.

They were good at getting to the playoffs and losing finals. Then they signed some huge names with Saracens off the board.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

cormac wrote: October 17th, 2020, 6:35 pm Have teams completely forgotten about the drop goal?
Did you see this graphic Bernard Jackman tweeted earlier (apologies for not crediting the author but Berch didn’t say where it came from)

#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

brotheroffrank wrote: October 18th, 2020, 7:05 pm
Agreed - anytime between 70 & 74 mins Racing could have relatively easily taken the lead....putting serious pressure on Exeter to try and retake the lead (particularly after Exeter went down to 14 men around the middle of that passage of play; and had looked superior early on in the game, but couldn't shake off Racing...)....taking a drop goal, then receiving the kick off, Racing could have concentrated on "keep ball" for the rest of the game instead of looking to score a Try.....it seems like the Racing collective memory of the Final in Bilbao in 2018 was forgotten; three points was huge in that game....being behind in the last 10 mins is not where you want to be, get ahead and let the other side chase you.....winning a game is all about the scoreboard....

smart decisions, like Rob Kearney's drop goal against Clermont in the 2012 Semi-Final, or either of Brian O'Driscoll/Johnny Sexton in the 2009 Final, all of which were more difficult than the opportunity Racing let slip yesterday, are part of how to win matches..... luck counts, refereeing decisions count, but most of all, the scoreboard counts....
Well said.

I think in general the majority of people talking about this have spoken about [and acknowledge] the pressure element of going for a late drop goal, but it has gone practically unsaid that it would have been a relatively easy kick, technically speaking. Probably no more than 25m out, probably from within the lateral spacing of the goalposts.

It was an obvious and very good opportunity. Not taking it can only be seen as a mental failure – either of nerve, or of decision-making.
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

I often wonder what would have happened if Gopperth had kicked the drop goal at the death in Semi v Toulon in Marseille.
Would they have gone back on their decision to remove OConnor ?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Xanthippe wrote: October 19th, 2020, 4:19 am
Did you see this graphic Bernard Jackman tweeted earlier (apologies for not crediting the author but Berch didn’t say where it came from)

Success rate is way lower than penalties and teams aren’t even taking them. I’m a fan of drop goals but at the moment much of their value is in novelty. When people take them more they get a bit better at taking them, but no one wants to do them because the numbers are bad.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Anyway getting this thread back on point. 😇😇👼👼🤣🤣

BBC News - Wasps: Three more positive Covid-19 tests puts Premiership final appearance in doubt
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/54598315

So that's 7 players and 4 staff confirmed with Covid Wasps look unlikely to play on Saturday. Bristol would replace them giving both teams a chance for a League/European Double.

Please keep Neill_m in your thoughts. He may well be the real victim here as he will have to edit his Rugby on the Box post to reflect the change of team.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Blue not red blood wrote: October 19th, 2020, 2:26 pm I often wonder what would have happened if Gopperth had kicked the drop goal at the death in Semi v Toulon in Marseille.
Would they have gone back on their decision to remove OConnor ?
Gopperth was never very good at drop goals. I wasn't confident as they were setting up for it. I think it would have been far better to have Madigan attempt it.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

IanD wrote: October 19th, 2020, 4:52 pm Anyway getting this thread back on point. 😇😇👼👼🤣🤣

BBC News - Wasps: Three more positive Covid-19 tests puts Premiership final appearance in doubt

So that's 7 players and 4 staff confirmed with Covid Wasps look unlikely to play on Saturday. Bristol would replace them giving both teams a chance for a League/European Double.

Please keep Neill_m in your thoughts. He may well be the real victim here as he will have to edit his Rugby on the Box post to reflect the change of team.
That's a strange one, isn't it? How can you lose in the semis and then potentially win the thing? I would have thought it would just be a walkover or the match would be postponed.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

leinsterforever wrote: October 19th, 2020, 5:22 pm
IanD wrote: October 19th, 2020, 4:52 pm Anyway getting this thread back on point. 😇😇👼👼🤣🤣

That's a strange one, isn't it? How can you lose in the semis and then potentially win the thing? I would have thought it would just be a walkover or the match would be postponed.
It was specifically outlined in the Premiership Competition rules in August 2020. They have TV contracts to fulfill and at that point they assumed they would have sold tickets to spectators. All Clubs agreed unanimously.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Geordan Murphy has been shown the door at Leicester.

We can't really say if he has any credentials as a coach or not going forward because Leicester were so structurally bad the last few years. They could have had a top coach there who wouldn't have been able to do more than paper over the cracks.

I guess we'll see.
Anyone But New Zealand
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Reports say BT have told senior staff, BOD etc, that their £40M/year offer to the Prem has been turned down and it's going elsewhere.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
RavenhillRaider
Knowledgeable

Post by RavenhillRaider »

blockhead wrote: December 16th, 2020, 5:58 pm Reports say BT have told senior staff, BOD etc, that their £40M/year offer to the Prem has been turned down and it's going elsewhere.
Very surprised anyone else wants it.

Although i have heard DAZN are trying to expand their sporting line up in the uk.
BOD is GOD!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

RavenhillRaider wrote: December 17th, 2020, 2:31 pm
blockhead wrote: December 16th, 2020, 5:58 pm Reports say BT have told senior staff, BOD etc, that their £40M/year offer to the Prem has been turned down and it's going elsewhere.

Although i have heard DAZN are trying to expand their sporting line up in the uk.
Wouldn't be surprised if it's Amazon
Anyone But New Zealand
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

FLIP wrote: December 17th, 2020, 3:03 pm
RavenhillRaider wrote: December 17th, 2020, 2:31 pm

Wouldn't be surprised if it's Amazon
Well, there's the whole CVC angle that really muddies things up. CVC are making the call and there was talk a while back of bundling the Pro14 rights in with any deal so who knows.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

And then the Prem turned around and looks like they are taking a £110mm deal for three years. :roll:
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Blockhead is on Santas naughty list for telling lies :lol: :lol:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/5 ... 0in%202013.

Premiership Rugby: BT Sport signs new broadcast deal through to 2024

Premiership Rugby has agreed a new deal with BT Sport which will see the broadcaster show matches until 2024.

The channel will have exclusive rights to show English rugby's top tier of domestic competition, which it first aired in 2013...........
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!