Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Post by Ruckedtobits »

blockhead wrote:The English Championship has had its funding slashed by 50% from next season.
"The Championship is, and will continue to be, a useful way for players to get additional developmental experience, but we do not believe it is the primary place where Premiership and England players are discovered and developed.” Bill Sweeney RFU CEO
And some of the reaction:

https://www.the42.ie/rfu-championship-5004464-Feb2020/
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... way-league
-Breakaway League
-Salarycap of £2.5M (Saracens would be rightly fupped) :lol:
-Some teams looking to the Pro14 :roll: (if we took them all on board we coud have, almost to scared to say it but...RELEGATION!!!!) everyone would have to respect us then eh? Even the Bluestalk Boo Boys (BBB) would.....nah thats pushin it I suppose.
Imagine that? Pro14 ends up with relegation, EP does not.
It is understood the Championship clubs were offered a three-year extension to their funding last year, with a modest increase, if they agreed to a ring-fenced Premiership. The offer was rejected and next season’s cuts have been described by one well-placed source as “tit for tat”.
:shock:
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

blockhead wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... way-league
-Breakaway League
-Some teams looking to the Pro14 :roll: (if we took them all on board we coud have, almost to scared to say it but...RELEGATION!!!!) everyone would have to respect us then eh? Even the Bluestalk Boo Boys (BBB) would.....nah thats pushin it I suppose.
It is understood the Championship clubs were offered a three-year extension to their funding last year, with a modest increase, if they agreed to a ring-fenced Premiership. The offer was rejected and next season’s cuts have been described by one well-placed source as “tit for tat”.
Why would the Pro14 consider taking in second division English clubs? Anyone got an angle on this?
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

domhnallj wrote:
blockhead wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... way-league
-Breakaway League
Why would the Pro14 consider taking in second division English clubs? Anyone got an angle on this?
Some championship clubs will simply fold...and some will struggle on. So the clubs struggling on, could hoover up the best players of the failingf clubs. Another scenario would be the merging of two failing clubs into one. So instead of two clubs going bust...you have one..that, theoretically, could compete in the Pro14.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Man city did a Saracens with their accounting.....banned for two years from the champions league.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... s-ffp-uefa
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:Man city did a Saracens with their accounting.....banned for two years from the champions league.
Sounds like they don't understand continental legal systems either. Their petulant statement is great fun.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

fourthirtythree wrote:
MylesNaGapoleen wrote:Man city did a Saracens with their accounting.....banned for two years from the champions league.
Sounds like they don't understand continental legal systems either. Their petulant statement is great fun.
I dunno. Their deal for everything was less than United’s shirt only deal.

UEFA are even claiming that United’s (older and less valuable) training kit deal was worth almost 3 times more than what City were being paid for shirt, stadium, training ground etc.

It looked like a generous deal at the time but the true value would have been a lot closer to the stated value than the alleged price from the hacker.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

The RFU and PRL war seems over for now.

And the RFU are throwing away powerful leverage (again). The Championship does look like its failing and clearly the pro game in England has belatedly realised that relegation was an error. But it was a small funding amount in total. The problem is that the more restrictive relegation has become, the more of a problem it clearly is. If this doesn’t do the in then something else will later.

The only question now is can PRL settle on a number of teams: 12 or 14, or even something else. Once they figure that out it’s game over. I don’t think they can get away with leaving Saracens outside.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

ronk wrote:The RFU and PRL war seems over for now.

And the RFU are throwing away powerful leverage (again). The Championship does look like its failing and clearly the pro game in England has belatedly realised that relegation was an error. But it was a small funding amount in total. The problem is that the more restrictive relegation has become, the more of a problem it clearly is. If this doesn’t do the in then something else will later.

The only question now is can PRL settle on a number of teams: 12 or 14, or even something else. Once they figure that out it’s game over. I don’t think they can get away with leaving Saracens outside.
Maybe not.
But they'd love to all the same.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

FLIP wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51460013

Some non-Sarries news, Dai Young is stepping back from first team duties for an interim period, with backs coach Lee Blackett taking over.
Dai Young has now left Wasps.
Anyone But New Zealand
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

FLIP wrote:
FLIP wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51460013

Some non-Sarries news, Dai Young is stepping back from first team duties for an interim period, with backs coach Lee Blackett taking over.
Dallaglio (Wasps board member) intimated, on his pod, that after 9 years without a trophy now is the time to roll the dice without the threat of relegation.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Peg Leg wrote:Dallaglio (Wasps board member) intimated, on his pod, that after 9 years without a trophy now is the time to roll the dice without the threat of relegation.
That the ST "Ruck" one? Is it any good?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

paddyor wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Dallaglio (Wasps board member) intimated, on his pod, that after 9 years without a trophy now is the time to roll the dice without the threat of relegation.
The best aspect of it is the discussions about the politics and org structures of the game. Stephen Jones is a good contributor because he furthers the conversation in opposition to the others with a lot drivel. For tactical analysis it's much the same high level platitudes as most others with most animated analysis around squad personel.
The best of the lot for tactical analysis are
the42,
blood and mud (Rhiannon Vitti os excellent, she really wants to talk about plays, moves an trends), the Molecast,
Bluestalktv,
and Brian Moores pod.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Peg Leg wrote:
FLIP wrote:
Dallaglio (Wasps board member) intimated, on his pod, that after 9 years without a trophy now is the time to roll the dice without the threat of relegation.
Rumour has it they've had to pay a 7 figure sum to do just that.
Anyone But New Zealand
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Peg Leg wrote:
paddyor wrote:
The best aspect of it is the discussions about the politics and org structures of the game. Stephen Jones is a good contributor because he furthers the conversation in opposition to the others with a lot drivel. For tactical analysis it's much the same high level platitudes as most others with most animated analysis around squad personel.
The best of the lot for tactical analysis are
the42,
blood and mud (Rhiannon Vitti os excellent, she really wants to talk about plays, moves an trends), the Molecast,
Bluestalktv,
and Brian Moores pod.
I don't want to digress too much from the thread, but the last Harpin' On Rugby podcast with Brendon Shields from Rugbycology was very interesting from an analysis point of view. Rugbycology is well worth following.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The ref in the Quins Exeter game just had a howler. Quins won a scrum penalty right on the Exeter line with just over a minute left. Ball comes out and Quins move it wide and were in in the corner to win the game, but he didn't play advantage so they had to come back for the penalty. He apologised for not playing advantage and surprise surprise gave Quins a series of penalties and sent an Exter prop to the bin over the next few minutes and eventually a penalty try after 86 and a half minutes.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Leicester Tigers are set to field what is almost certainly the heaviest pack in Gallagher Premiership history against Saracens this weekend.
No.8 Sione Kalamafoni (120.8kg) is joined in the back row by Harry Wells (119.8kg) and relative minnow in Tommy Reffell (98kg) – who’s the only starting forward to weigh less than 119.8kg (18 stone 12Ibs).
Tight five; Nephi Leatigaga (149.1kg), Tatafu Polota-Nau (120.4kg) and Joe Heyes (124.7kg)
front row, while Will Spencer (124.75kg) and Joe Batley (120kg) combine in a heavyweight engine room.

The total weight of the pack is 978.35kg, which works out at an average of 122.3kg (19 stone 4Ibs)

For comparison, Leicester Tigers’ 978.35kg pack is 16kg heavier than France’s 962kg pack at last year’s Six Nations, which is widely thought to be the heaviest pack ever fielded at international level.

It is however shy of the one tonne plus pack Toulouse fielded in the Top 14 in 2017.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Saw that SOB was making his appearance for LI this weekend. How is Jackson doing with them as a matter of interest?
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

sunshiner1 wrote:Saw that SOB was making his appearance for LI this weekend. How is Jackson doing with them as a matter of interest?
Not great.

He was shifted to full back a while ago. Then was starting. He wasn't in the 23 this weekend I don't the no but not sure if injured or not

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by The Doc

Not great.

He was shifted to full back a while ago. Then was starting. He wasn't in the 23 this weekend I don't the no but not sure if injured or not
Oy. That's a hell of a drop for a good player like him. Hopefully he can find his form soon