Pro12 General Discussion

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Pro12 General Discussion

Post by simonokeeffe »

JB1973 wrote:Big weekend ahead for the pro 12 if we beat Glasgow the 4th place spot is wide open, if Connacht beat Scarlets 6th place is wide open and there is the small matter of Leinster vs Munster.

We should see much quality high intensity rugby must win rugby played by some of the best players in eruope and the biggest crowd in British and Irish rugby this weekend, not bad for a" second rate league" is it?

If Only we had big games like Worcester and Newcastle to look forward to!
PRL looking two tiered too and slary cap increase and/or new tv deal will only exasperate that

whats the feeling on Ryan Jones leaving?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

simonokeeffe wrote:
JB1973 wrote:Big weekend ahead for the pro 12 if we beat Glasgow the 4th place spot is wide open, if Connacht beat Scarlets 6th place is wide open and there is the small matter of Leinster vs Munster.

We should see much quality high intensity rugby must win rugby played by some of the best players in eruope and the biggest crowd in British and Irish rugby this weekend, not bad for a" second rate league" is it?

PRL looking two tiered too and slary cap increase and/or new tv deal will only exasperate that

Part of me is gutted he is a Quality player and a quality person who has brought a lot to the region on and off the field , a true professional in all he did
. However his time is coming to the end, he is very injury prone these days and when you take into account his salary, his injury record , his team wales commitments in the current climate it makes financial sense.

It's a shame we couldn't have kept him and then found a slot for him somewhere on the coaching staff but I understand the decision made.

I really wish him well, he deservers everything he can get out of the game.

Our pack is losing a lot of experience and know how for next year, hibbard,ian evans, ryan jones , plus possibly adam jones.

Unless we bring in some hard nosed older heads next year we are going to be in for a long tough season

I wish him well and he deserves a big pay off and hopefully some success to top of his career but
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

[Jackass] wrote:I fought it for years, but the league is undoubtedly a joke now, I'm sad to say.

The Welsh incompetence has made it so. Imagine they were as competitive as the Irish in the league and Europe? (and there's no reason they shouldn't be), given the quality of players in both national teams, it would be the most elite league in the world, but the Welsh failing to put together respectable professional bodies, it's completely undermined the league. We've done our part, and there's only so much the Scots and Italians can do (and Glasgow more than holding their own), but without the Welsh, it's a joke. Their teams are a joke, ergo the league is a joke.

Ironic, really, that they are the ones who feel above the league too, and use the league as an excuse for their own poor domestic game, when in reality, the poor domestic game is because they completely failed at establishing a professional domestic game. I almost want to see them in the Aviva Premiership to laugh at their STILL empty stadiums and having three teams at the bottom, but still fighting for European spot (kind of like the Italians in P12) and only one can go down...

At this point, it would be better to have an Anglo-Irish league than anything else. We would bring way more to the party than the Welsh, and I wouldn't mind bringing the Scots in and ditching the Welsh along the way.
I hear where you're coming from and agree that the league would be incredibly strong if the Welsh teams were organised properly from the off... but, aren't the vast majority of professional leagues in all sports dominated by the top 25/30% of teams? The Top 14 is tight in the top 8 this year with ten points separating them, but that is an exception.
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

[Jackass] wrote:I fought it for years, but the league is undoubtedly a joke now, I'm sad to say.

The Welsh incompetence has made it so. Imagine they were as competitive as the Irish in the league and Europe? (and there's no reason they shouldn't be), given the quality of players in both national teams, it would be the most elite league in the world, but the Welsh failing to put together respectable professional bodies, it's completely undermined the league. We've done our part, and there's only so much the Scots and Italians can do (and Glasgow more than holding their own), but without the Welsh, it's a joke. Their teams are a joke, ergo the league is a joke.

Ironic, really, that they are the ones who feel above the league too, and use the league as an excuse for their own poor domestic game, when in reality, the poor domestic game is because they completely failed at establishing a professional domestic game. I almost want to see them in the Aviva Premiership to laugh at their STILL empty stadiums and having three teams at the bottom, but still fighting for European spot (kind of like the Italians in P12) and only one can go down...

At this point, it would be better to have an Anglo-Irish league than anything else. We would bring way more to the party than the Welsh, and I wouldn't mind bringing the Scots in and ditching the Welsh along the way.

Aren't we still the most successful team in the history of the league? :D

You make a very valid point about the provinces (certainly the big 3 bringing more to the AP than the welsh do) ignore the home gates you would get and the fact your sides are better. You've a bigger ex pat population in England than we do and you have the advantage of a load of irish bars ready to show the games which in turn is certainly going to bring more sponsors to the table.

I still think the ideal option is b&i league but not sure if we will ever get that
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

I hope not because five years after the PRL sides recognise what a good idea it was they will turn around and tell us that 60 million English pairs of eyes are worth ten times more than 6 million Irish pairs of eyes and want to keep 90.9% of the TV money.
Four Stars
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Xanthippe wrote:
johng wrote:
Not a huge fan of the razzmatazz
Seriously John, seriously? And there I thought a bit of the aul razzmatazz was something you were quite partial to :wink:
Give razzmatazz a chance, you might surprise yourself . . .
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

JB1973 wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:

Part of me is gutted he is a Quality player and a quality person who has brought a lot to the region on and off the field , a true professional in all he did
. However his time is coming to the end, he is very injury prone these days and when you take into account his salary, his injury record , his team wales commitments in the current climate it makes financial sense.

It's a shame we couldn't have kept him and then found a slot for him somewhere on the coaching staff but I understand the decision made.

I really wish him well, he deservers everything he can get out of the game.

Our pack is losing a lot of experience and know how for next year, hibbard,ian evans, ryan jones , plus possibly adam jones.

Unless we bring in some hard nosed older heads next year we are going to be in for a long tough season

I wish him well and he deserves a big pay off and hopefully some success to top of his career but
cheers
really do hope Welsh regions recruit (well) with some of this BT money

Duncan Jones and Joe Bearman cant have long left through age and age/injury
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

JB1973 wrote:
I still think the ideal option is b&i league but not sure if we will ever get that
Would you really trust them though? You'd want to have Wray and Co's actual balls in actual vices before you'd consider getting involved with them.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

johng wrote:
Hornet wrote: 50% of the 'fans' at the Wembley match were there for the 'musical entertainment'. I've been to a couple of Sarries games in Wembley, and if it wasn't for the £10 tickets and the pre match entertainment involving someone from Britains Got (No) Talent, the place would have been less than half full. (Remember our HC game with them. More there for Tinie Tempah than the game).
I was at that too. I remember it for the way we closed it out keeping them in their own half with the ball for the last 5 mins (seemed like about 15) and Jonny Sex scoring all 25 points.

Saracens are an odd team. I have vague memories of watching them on telly in the 70s. (Probably the Fezes that did it) Harlequins too. (again the bright colours)

Not sure when they became the "most hated team in England" for a lot of people. Wray has been involved since the dawn of professionalism and they possibly would have disappeared without him. So it can't be just him. I used to enjoy watching them a few years ago with Chesney and Glen Jackson etc. Probably the direction they took just after that with Venter and all his countrymen etc.

Not a huge fan of the razzmatazz around them, but possibly not as traditionalist as some either.
Wray has bankrolled them since the amateur era, and if it wasn't for him and his cash they would not have joined the Professional ranks in the 90's. I watched them regularly in the late 90's. At that time they were renown for picking 'big' names who, quite frankly were paying for their pensions. There was a push to get a lot of Corporate backers in, and with Pienaar in there as Coach, the first push for South African backers begun. Sarries Season Ticket holders were pushed out of the prime seats in the Rous Stand (Watford F.C.), as well as losing their prime pre match drinking hole in the Bar behind the Rous Strand to the Corporates. That didn't go down to well with the 'Fez Heads' who moved their allegience to the 'Red Lion' across the road from the Stadium.
Saracens has always struggled to get a loyal following, and lost many fans in the early 2000's, as the results were nowhere near good enough for a team that had such a large amount of resources to work with. Wray angered a lot of people with his plea to ringfence the Premiership. His argument to scrap relegation did not go down at all well with many of the Championship fans who looked at it as the big boys throwing their weight around, (sounds familiar). Many looked at it as if he was trying to protect his investment rather than considering the greater good of English Rugby. (Sarries were not performing at all well during this time).
One thing that has always surprised me with Sarries, and that is it's failure to grow it's fanbase in any major way. They have, since the 90's, been involved in many initiatives to increase it. I think it is down to the more conservative Rugby Fans taste, to the razzmatazz at Vicarage Road, Wembley, and more recently Allianz Park. They want to watch a game of Rugby, not Dancing Girls, Acrobats, Pop Stars, etc. Older English people are generally more conservative in their views an can do without all the kerfluffle before a game. Youngster love it, but they are living in an area North West London where Rugby would still be considered 'elitest', and even though they might go to some of the big Wembley game, it's not for the Rugby, so are lost as potential future fans. Even with Sarries successes over the last few years it hasn't massively increased it's Season Ticket sales, which I would estimate to be around 6000 to 7000. There seems to be a lack of identity for younger fans who probably look on the seasoned 'Fez Heads' as rather odd and old.
Their nearest rivals, Wasps, have been more family orientated, and their on field successes in the mid 2000's boosted their season ticket sales as well as selling out Adams Park many a time. Unfortunately for them their recent history and the uncertainty regards the future of the club has hit them hard. My Wasps supporting mates estimate that the season ticket sales may be down in the low 5000's. Wasps are in a much better area to capitalise on drawing in good and new supporters. Their ground is in a part of South East England with very low unemployment and high disposable income. They need to get back to winning ways and work with the local Rugby clubs to get that support back.
Both of them would be envious of our yearly season ticket hauls. Perhaps this is another area they need to work on. My season ticket in the RDS Block J is around €130 cheaper than my mates at Adams Park. His seat is in line with the 22 as opposed to mine which is 5m off line of the Half Way line. They would also be envious of our ability to sell out our biggest Rugby Stadium without any hype apart from the fact its Leinster v Munster, and it will be about the Rugby only, and not the pre game act's of Tinie Tempah or Little Mix. Rugby for Rugby sake. Bring it on!
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

Hornet wrote:Even with Sarries successes over the last few years it hasn't massively increased it's Season Ticket sales, which I would estimate to be around 6000 to 7000.
I would be astounded if they have that many season ticket holders. Allianz Park capacity is only around 10k for starters.

They also treat their season ticket holders pretty poorly in terms of moving the big matches to Wembley and virtually giving tickets away so they're in danger of losing as many old ones as they gain new ones.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

RTÉ have withdrawn from the bidding process for Pro12 rights.

Sky will have 30 matches but cannot show the same fixture home and away so if they show Leinster V Munster then TG4 will have Munster V Leinster.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Broken Wing wrote:RTÉ have withdrawn from the bidding process for Pro12 rights.

Sky will have 30 matches but cannot show the same fixture home and away so if they show Leinster V Munster then TG4 will have Munster V Leinster.
Real pity that the showcase game in Irish rugby (Leinster v Munster) in the Aviva, is televised every year in a language that only about 5% of the population can understand. Hopefully Sky get this gig from here on.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

blockhead wrote:

Real pity that the showcase game in Irish rugby (Leinster v Munster) in the Aviva, is televised every year in a language that only about 5% of the population can understand. Hopefully Sky get this gig from here on.
It's a great way to promote the language though given the Tv audience it should get. Besides, what's to understand? The rules are the same, the ref signals are the same and the players are the same.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Vamos los azules wrote:
Hornet wrote:Even with Sarries successes over the last few years it hasn't massively increased it's Season Ticket sales, which I would estimate to be around 6000 to 7000.
I would be astounded if they have that many season ticket holders. Allianz Park capacity is only around 10k for starters.

They also treat their season ticket holders pretty poorly in terms of moving the big matches to Wembley and virtually giving tickets away so they're in danger of losing as many old ones as they gain new ones.
You could well be right. We moan about price hikes for our ST. I wonder what we would think if we had price hikes of between 21% and 46%.
http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/read ... 7,14640718
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Jaaaayzuuus! Imagine having to pay 725 juros a year to watch fecken Saracens. :shock: OMFG.

We get to watch arguably the best team in Europe for less than half that.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Broken Wing wrote:
blockhead wrote:

It's a great way to promote the language though given the Tv audience it should get. Besides, what's to understand? The rules are the same, the ref signals are the same and the players are the same.
The refs being Mic'd up makes a huge difference too.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Looks like Sky get first dibs on matches but we should be looking at 2 televised games per weekend involving Irish sides, more if you include BBC NI showing Ulster

A lot of the time RTE just used BBC NI feed so there should be significantly more games shown, lets face it games invloving the Irish sides biggest draws to neutrals
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

johng wrote:Jaaaayzuuus! Imagine having to pay 725 juros a year to watch fecken Saracens. :shock: OMFG.

We get to watch arguably the best team in Europe for less than half that.
Here is a quote from our 'favourite' pest from Drunken Wasps, on this subject:-

"Re: Sarries price hike
Posted by: Beckenham Wasp (IP Logged)
Date: 26 March, 2014 23:35
I have to say I don't have much sympathy for Saracens' supporters to be honest. If you look at the prices of their seasons tickets for 2013/14 they are well below the market rate. Lower than Wasps and much lower than the likes of Quins, Northampton and Bath.
The price of their Gold, Silver anad Bronze seats is cheap.
The problem Saracens have is they don't have enough of the mid range Bronze and Silver seats that people actually want. A decent seat of the 22 line that isn't too expensive.
A club can't afford to have cheaper tickets like Leicester and Gloucester unless they have the spare capacity to sell more tickets for the more popular games.
Saracens are caught between having a ground that neither has genuine scarcity like Bath or Northampton to justify high ticket prices or a large capacity to take advantage of the bigger games.
Wasps used to suffer from a similar problem during the glory years. Crowds peaked at an 8,500 average with the less attractive games being less well attended and for the sold out ones Wasps could have probably sold an extra 2 or 3 thousand tickets.
Saracens might come to regret investing so much money into such a limited facility.
It will be interesting to see how Bath and Northampton manage the expansion of their grounds.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/03/2014 01:11 by Beckenham Wasp."

So Sarries ST prices are not Market Value. What is scary is that other clubs ST prices are even higher. I can understand why my Wasps mates are considering their position with regards to renewing their Season Tickets. Paying 50% more for a seat at Adams Park, which relates to a worse position than mine in the RDS, plus their match day facilities and ease of getting to and from the ground, both of which are not good. The product on the pitch in the AP doesn't match the money being paid by the punters IMO.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Broken Wing wrote:
blockhead wrote:

This seriously annoys me. I like to hear a bit of commentary as there are times they get info or see something I missed. I am all for developing the Irish language and have three kids all going to Irish schools but my level of comprehension of Irish is pretty low and I would prefer to see the games on an english language station.

I will be watching tomorrow on a tv close to the grounds and will have to try an tune in to the ref mike if I can find the frequency.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Glasgow v Ospreys sounds like a thriller. 6 3 with almost 60 minutes gone
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.