New Euro competition

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

nc6000
Mullet

Re: New Euro competition

Post by nc6000 »

Are many of you going to also fork out for BT Sports? I basically only got Sky Sports in the first place for the Heineken Cup but now obviously won't be able to see all the games. I'm not sure what to do. I'm tempted to ring and have Sky Sports switched off altogether.
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

Alternative Ulster wrote:Best of luck with that Tigers. Humped by Ulster last few years. Toulon reigning champs.

On the plus side you should have enough for the scarlets
No telling yet, I think we have a better side than this time last year, time will tell, no easy games for any in this group. Shall wait for a few weeks before getting confident about this competition, we have struggled for best part of a decade , last good effort was at Murrayfield against our hosts here, take out a certain Australian and we could have nicked that one............................... :wink:
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Donny B. wrote:
tigerburnie wrote: It's a tough pool, but hey that's want we all wanted, the best competition at club level anywhere, can't wait.
Maybe once, but now it's the competition to run off in a rush in April to get it out of the way before the important business of the Top 14 play-offs start. The French TV companies are hardly even bothered to screen it.
Can see Twickenham being half empty for the final unless an Irish team gets there.
They must reckon they can fill it as they moved the traditional bank holiday match in Twickenham between the army and navy which attracts almost full house each year
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

tigerburnie wrote:
Alternative Ulster wrote:Best of luck with that Tigers. Humped by Ulster last few years. Toulon reigning champs.

No telling yet, I think we have a better side than this time last year, time will tell, no easy games for any in this group. Shall wait for a few weeks before getting confident about this competition, we have struggled for best part of a decade , last good effort was at Murrayfield against our hosts here, take out a certain Australian and we could have nicked that one............................... :wink:
Nope. As I said before, I was drinking with some tigers supporters the night before, they were pretty confident and said that Leicester would target our scrum, rough up BOD, and go for sexton. I said if that's your tactics we will win as our scrum was solid against all comers, that tactic had been tried unsuccessscfully for a decade, and sexton was the outhalf best capable of looking after himself out there.

We made hard work of it though.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

nc6000 wrote:Are many of you going to also fork out for BT Sports? I basically only got Sky Sports in the first place for the Heineken Cup but now obviously won't be able to see all the games. I'm not sure what to do. I'm tempted to ring and have Sky Sports switched off altogether.
sky have league games too, out of bitterness am just going to watch BT games online
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

tigerburnie wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
tigerburnie wrote: It's a tough pool, but hey that's want we all wanted, the best competition at club level anywhere, can't wait.
Maybe once, but now it's the competition to run off in a rush in April to get it out of the way before the important business of the Top 14 play-offs start. The French TV companies are hardly even bothered to screen it.
Can see Twickenham being half empty for the final unless an Irish team gets there.
Tigers v Northampton, packed to the rafters............................................... 8)
Are the new organisers putting the fix in already?
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

Donny B. wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Maybe once, but now it's the competition to run off in a rush in April to get it out of the way before the important business of the Top 14 play-offs start. The French TV companies are hardly even bothered to screen it.
Tigers v Northampton, packed to the rafters............................................... 8)
Are the new organisers putting the fix in already?
Pakistan Cricket Board are running it now, if you don't want to know by how much we win, look away now............ :wink:
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Its very evident that the new "organizers" are about as effective as our new Water Company and are intent on screwing the Irish trio - without any regard for optimum times and dates to attract or retain supporters.

A Sunday afternoon / evening fixture - whether home or away is a disaster for almost every Leinster supporter trying to get home and prepare for the working week the following day. I hope that the Leinster management objected and had nothing to do with finalising these times which seem to take supporters for granted. An away game in the A*re-h*le of outer London on a Sunday afternoon is not a good idea.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Its very evident that the new "organizers" are about as effective as our new Water Company and are intent on screwing the Irish trio - without any regard for optimum times and dates to attract or retain supporters.

A Sunday afternoon / evening fixture - whether home or away is a disaster for almost every Leinster supporter trying to get home and prepare for the working week the following day. I hope that the Leinster management objected and had nothing to do with finalising these times which seem to take supporters for granted. An away game in the A*re-h*le of outer London on a Sunday afternoon is not a good idea.
What Sunday games are in London? Anyway Twickenham is easy to get away from on Sunday, (Heathrow and Gatwick).
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ruckedtobits wrote:An away game in the A*re-h*le of outer London on a Sunday afternoon is not a good idea.
Its a great idea - people won't travel and will watch it on telly.

Television companies couldn't care less if you went to the matches, actually, strike that, television companies would prefer if you didn't go to matches and watched them on telly instead. You are watching in order to add value to their commercial offering. As long as there are enough people there for background atmospherics, then thats enough.
I have Bumbleflex
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:An away game in the A*re-h*le of outer London on a Sunday afternoon is not a good idea.

Television companies couldn't care less if you went to the matches, actually, strike that, television companies would prefer if you didn't go to matches and watched them on telly instead. You are watching in order to add value to their commercial offering. As long as there are enough people there for background atmospherics, then thats enough.
Even worse with 2 pay channels involved as I would bet on them switching coverage for the reverse fixtures so they both maximise their chances of new customers
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Exactly Rooster, double the TV companies to be appeased, twice the irritation for the supporters. Thanks again PRL!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Have to say this whole thing has really soured my love of this competition. Thank God Ireland are doing well again.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:

Its why Saracens play their home games on a Subbuteo pitch
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

tigerburnie wrote:

I think that's an interesting thing to say as I'm getting the feeling that tiggers haven't recruited that well over the summer and on the quins board (it's the time of year when we all have a go at predicting how well we'll all do), there are a few people who think you won't even make the top 4 :shock:

I'm not sure I'd go that far, but there used to be an air of invincibility around Welford Road that just isn't there any more. Clubs now think that when they go to WR, they might have a chance!
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

claire_m wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:

I think that's an interesting thing to say as I'm getting the feeling that tiggers haven't recruited that well over the summer and on the quins board (it's the time of year when we all have a go at predicting how well we'll all do), there are a few people who think you won't even make the top 4 :shock:

I'm not sure I'd go that far, but there used to be an air of invincibility around Welford Road that just isn't there any more. Clubs now think that when they go to WR, they might have a chance!
I like your thoughts on that claire :D
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

claire_m wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:

Quinns are the Arsenal of rugby, success built on financial stability and firmly living within their means. Whats hurt them IMO is international callups, as when theyd none theyd always win on international weekends, now without array of foreign stars those weekends hurt them squad wise and take more out of their best players

Man for man Tigers have done ok in transfers, but top signings all Italian internationals who'll miss two big chunks of the season
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

My french isn't great but what I gather from this is that BEIN sports got the gig for TV rights
http://mobile.lepoint.fr/sport/coupes-d ... 092_26.php
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

The pay channel Bein Sports has made ​​a sensational debut in the Rugby Monday by winning all the broadcasting rights for European Cups from this season and for the next three.

So goodbye Canal +, which already gave battle with the Qatari original string on the market for sports television rights, including the Top 14! For its part, France Télévisions, distributor of the European Cup since its inception in 1995, is still in negotiations with the EPCR, the organizing company, do we also learned from sources.

The utility, which has contributed to the popularity of tournaments by providing free exposure and clear, is interested in Lot A of the tender or the game of choice for each day of the Cup of Europe, from the group stage to final.

Negotiations could be completed by "two to three days," he told AFP a source close to the matter. But if they fail, then Bein Sports exclusive broadcast all matches in the European Cup and the European Challenge, starting this season until the end of the financial year 2017-2018.

The Qatari original string, which already broadcasts of matches of the Super League rugby league, has indeed acquired Lot D, ie all matches in both competitions. But EPCR stated in its tender that awarding the prize to a diffuser D + paying + did not prevent a diffuser + free + to obtain the rights of Lot A.

- The supply of Canal + 'disappointing' -

The EPCR, who presides over the destinies of European Cups this season since replacing the late ERC, did not disclose the amount paid by Bein Sports. The total reserve price set by season (27 million euros) was not reached, but a source familiar with the matter described as "very important" increased annual amount paid by the previous season (14 million).

This price is well below the 28 million that will pay from this season British channels BT and Sky.

Canal +, whose offer was, according to a source familiar with the matter, deemed "disappointing", is in any case abruptly ousted from the European Cup when it already faces competition from Bein Sports rights Top 14.

The Competition Authority, on application by the chain of Qatari origin, has suspended 30 July the lucrative mid-January agreement between the National Rugby League (NRL) and Canal + (€ 355 million for the period from 2014 to 2019).

NRL and the encrypted channel, suspected of "anti-competitive agreement", filed an appeal to be considered Thursday in the Court of Appeal of Paris, for an answer a priori expected between 15 and 20 September, according to sources close the file.

This battle is also "not easy" negotiations about the rights of European Cups, but "for practical reasons, it was necessary to accelerate the process," said a source familiar with the matter, the first day contesting the October 16 to 19.

Canal + will keep at least the 2014-2015 fiscal year in the Top 14, which began on August 15 and was not challenged by the Competition Authority in order not to "bear a disproportionate affect the interests of clubs, broadcasters and viewers. "
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Rugby Europe wrote:
The 3rd Tier European Competition postponed

Further to the Executive Committee of the EPCR, on Wednesday, September 3rd, 2014 in Geneva, which decided to postpone the project of a 3rd Tier European Competition for 2014/2015, the President of RUGBY EUROPE Octavian Morariu wanted to express his regrets.

Indeed, RUGBY EUROPE and some Unions Members mobilized during the last months with EPCR to create a competition allowing a real European expansion of the Rugby.

It will not be carried out for the 2014/2015 season, in spite of the enthusiasm aroused among RUGBY EUROPE members.

In agreement with its attributions and with its development assignment of the game on the continent, RUGBY EUROPE is going to continue working on the implementation of a real European competition, from a sustainable financing model for the next season, while defending the best it can the interests of its members, participating clubs and especially players.

Besides, the EPCR has already decided that clubs or franchises which will take part in this 3rd Tier Competition should necessarily evolve in a domestic or cross-border competition. It does not question the participation of Bucuresti Wolves and Tbilisi Caucasians in the play-offs of the Challenge Cup this season.

All these news headlines will be approached by the Executive Committee of RUGBY EUROPE, on September 16th, to make sure we are ready to launch this competition in 2015/2016.

http://mobile.rugbyeurope.eu
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever