European Champions Cup [Most Improved]

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Angelsea Angst
Bookworm

Re: European Champions Cup [Most Improved]

Post by Angelsea Angst »

blockhead wrote:Only 1 prem team in to the knockouts again. This wont go down well over there. Something will be done, mark my words.
I fear you right. They don't like the weakness of the premiership being exposed for all to see. Having said that it is quite possible that Saracens will go on to win the competition, beating Leinster in the final.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Angelsea Angst wrote:
blockhead wrote:Only 1 prem team in to the knockouts again. This wont go down well over there. Something will be done, mark my words.
I fear you right. They don't like the weakness of the premiership being exposed for all to see. Having said that it is quite possible that Saracens will go on to win the competition, beating Leinster in the final.
This is all true. The Premiership as a whole is turgid and without real class. But Saracens are a formidable side. Exeter are a very good honest club- but need a change of strategy to compete at the highest level.

I’d rank the challengers in this order- Sarries, Racing, Glasgow, Munster, Toulouse, Edinburgh, Ulster. Call it arrogance, but only the first two would really worry me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

I’d rank the challengers in this order- Sarries, Racing, Glasgow, Munster, Toulouse, Edinburgh, Ulster. Call it arrogance, but only the first two would really worry me.
OK, seeing as you specificaly asked for it and both Munster and Toulouse have beaten us this season....your lack of concern is arrogance!

One of the joys of the knock out rounds is all the teams are capable of beating the others....
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

brotheroffrank wrote:
OK, seeing as you specificaly asked for it and both Munster and Toulouse have beaten us this season....your lack of concern is arrogance!

One of the joys of the knock out rounds is all the teams are capable of beating the others....
Arrogance- Honesty- pfff!

If we just based our beliefs and judgements on the results of last matches, there’d be no need or use for any conjecture at all. But we all know that’s ridiculous.

We were beaten away from home in both, in a particular context: down players, late interception tries, untypical firm, etc. That has to be part of any analysis. Now you can indulge in pieties- and refuse to make any judgements in advance, but it’s a bit... eh- trite.

In my analysis we are better than both Toulouse and Munster- and if we meet them at home or in a neutral venue, we will beat them. So I’ll accept arrogance on this point, if that the price of expressing it.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

brotheroffrank wrote:

It's arrogance to think either of those teams would beat Leinster again when it's a cup tie, must win situation.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Oldschool wrote: It's arrogance to think either of those teams would beat Leinster again when it's a cup tie, must win situation.
No, it's really not.

Whatever about Toulouse, who I don't think would take us in Ireland, Munster and Leinster in a knockout European game is a leveller. On paper we're the better side, but given the pressure and the increased nerves it would be much closer on grass.

Just cast your mind back to 2009 for a reminder of that.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

artaneboy wrote:
If we just based our beliefs and judgements on the results of last matches, there’d be no need or use for any conjecture at all. But we all know that’s ridiculous.

We were beaten away from home in both, in a particular context: down players, late interception tries, untypical firm, etc. That has to be part of any analysis. Now you can indulge in pieties- and refuse to make any judgements in advance, but it’s a bit... eh- trite.
Jaysus, you were all against arrogance or making bold predictions before the first Bath match:
artaneboy wrote: There were some who definitely claimed we should or would win handily and should/ would get 5 points. It’s rubbish to say that’s not complacency and smacking of arrogance.
You can't get enough of it now!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote:
Oldschool wrote: It's arrogance to think either of those teams would beat Leinster again when it's a cup tie, must win situation.
No, it's really not.

Whatever about Toulouse, who I don't think would take us in Ireland, Munster and Leinster in a knockout European game is a leveller. On paper we're the better side, but given the pressure and the increased nerves it would be much closer on grass.

Just cast your mind back to 2009 for a reminder of that.
2009 I won't laugh but 2009, that's almost as far back as the late 1970's
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

wixfjord wrote:
artaneboy wrote:

Jaysus, you were all against arrogance or making bold predictions before the first Bath match:
artaneboy wrote: There were some who definitely claimed we should or would win handily and should/ would get 5 points. It’s rubbish to say that’s not complacency and smacking of arrogance.
Ha! I expected you to come out on this again. You lost that battle weeks ago Wixie.

I repeat; Context!

Let it go now.

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

artaneboy wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
artaneboy wrote:

Ha! I expected you to come out on this again. You lost that battle weeks ago Wixie.

I repeat; Context!

Let it go now.

Ah yes, arrogance in context :wink: :lol:
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

wixfjord wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
wixfjord wrote: Jaysus, you were all against arrogance or making bold predictions before the first Bath match:

I repeat; Context!

Let it go now.

Ah yes, arrogance in context :wink: :lol:
Well yes- everything is to be judged on context.

Well done! You’ll get the hang of it yet.

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Very difficult to see anything but a home win for all the quarterfinalists.
The Racing v Toulouse being the one that's most up for grabs.
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

Bring it onImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
STAND UP FOR THE ULSTERMEN!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Jackie Brown wrote:Bring it onImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Knew that would knock you out of your comfort zone.
Hope you checked the expiry date on your passport(s)
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Anyone But New Zealand
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

FLIP wrote:Image
Stop sharing this they'll want to change the bloody competition again....
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

The wonderous Prem lost 6 out of 7 games this weekend. Apart from Saracens, the pool tables make bleek reading for the English sides. I'm sure they'll have plenty of scapegoats.
Saracens however have to be favourites now, easy home QF (sorry Kermi), Munster or Edinburgh in a semi in England and then a final in England.
If they win it will be 3 titles in 4 years, the dominant team of this era, no arguments about that.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Angelsea Angst
Bookworm

Post by Angelsea Angst »

blockhead wrote:The wonderous Prem lost 6 out of 7 games this weekend. Apart from Saracens, the pool tables make bleek reading for the English sides. I'm sure they'll have plenty of scapegoats.
Saracens however have to be favourites now, easy home QF (sorry Kermi), Munster or Edinburgh in a semi in England and then a final in England.
If they win it will be 3 titles in 4 years, the dominant team of this era, no arguments about that.
If Leinster get to the Final and win it I think we can also claim to be the dominant team of the era with five titles in ten years. (I am not sure how many players would have all five medals. Possibly only: Healy, Sexton, O'Brien and Kearney). There is, however, a lot of rugby to be played between now and the final with the potential for injuries in the 6Ns affecting all the clubs involved in the QFs.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

blockhead wrote:The wonderous Prem lost 6 out of 7 games this weekend. Apart from Saracens, the pool tables make bleek reading for the English sides. I'm sure they'll have plenty of scapegoats.
I don't disagree which is why I'll not be going to London.

Thing about Saracens is they just strangle teams. Make it seem like the other team has a chance for a while but still have enough in the end. First realised it in the final v Clermont and nothing has changed my mind since.
brenno
Bookworm

Post by brenno »

Bookies don't agree, latest odds from PP

Leinster 5-4
Saracens 9-4
Racing 9-2
Munster 7-1
Toulouse 16-1
Edinburgh 25-1
Glasgow 66-1
Ulster 100-1

1/3 odds for each way - winners and runner-up

Not sure I'd have Munster 7-1 for an away game, Edinburgh looked pretty decent on Friday night and Munster scrambled a win against Exeter despite never looking remotely like scoring a try

For QF

Munster -5 @10-11 v Edinburgh
Leinster -17 @10-11 v Ulster
Racing -7 @10-11 v Toulouse
Saracens -15 @10-11 v Glasgow