Munster 2016-2017

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

How many times would he have had to stamp on JGP's eye for it to not be a mid range offence/not just be at the entry point of mid range? Utter nonsense. I was giving out about CJ's red card in the summer and have given out about cards for challenges in the air in general because the decisions are outcome based and that doesn't make sense to me. This incident is the opposite. It was a deliberate stamp to the face...that could do catastrophic damage and for it to only warrant 4 weeks is a complete joke really.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I've always been a big fan of Farrell (although not seen him much for Grenoble tbh) but Munster's centre signings have been...interesting. By the time he arrives they'll have signed him, Arnold, Taute, O'Shea and Crosbie in the previous 12 months. I know some of them will leave then and they've had injuries but that kind of turnover/planning in the centres leaves a lot to be desired.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:How many times would he have had to stamp on JGP's eye for it to not be a mid range offence/not just be at the entry point of mid range? Utter nonsense. I was giving out about CJ's red card in the summer and have given out about cards for challenges in the air in general because the decisions are outcome based and that doesn't make sense to me. This incident is the opposite. It was a deliberate stamp to the face...that could do catastrophic damage and for it to only warrant 4 weeks is a complete joke really.
I've very little interest in getting into an argument about this, I do not think it is OK to stand on someone's face, nor any other part of their body when on the ground and in general stronger sanctions are probably a good idea. My point is that looking at similar incidents, this seems to be a standard enough sanction.

What I am most happy about is that it was cited, investigated and sanctioned and the shitehawkery of players not being cited during the interpros for dangerous and reckless play did not win out in this case.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It's funny how you say you don't want to get into n argument about this because my comment wasn't aimed at you/anyone in particular :lol:
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Fair enough
Kinger83
Knowledgeable

Post by Kinger83 »

Lenient enough suspension. Guess he doesn't have too much previous.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I've always been a big fan of Farrell (although not seen him much for Grenoble tbh) but Munster's centre signings have been...interesting. By the time he arrives they'll have signed him, Arnold, Taute, O'Shea and Crosbie in the previous 12 months. I know some of them will leave then and they've had injuries but that kind of turnover/planning in the centres leaves a lot to be desired.
Munster do like to sign centres just like Leinster with second rows and scrum halves.

Of your list, Taute and O'Shea are short term deals due to injuries to cover for another on your list, Arnold.

Crosbie is being signed as an out half afaik?

When Farrell arrives next season Munster will likely have lost saili, and for once we may have an all Irish qualified assortment of centres.

If Irish qualified talend like Arnold and Farrell come available, you would be foolish not to snap them up.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Leinster have never signed 5 centres/9s on varying deal lengths within a year!

Farrell, Scannell and Arnold is a good crop for next year. Crosbie would be a worthwhile asset on a low value contract too I'd reckon.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

wixfjord wrote:Leinster have never signed 5 centres/9s on varying deal lengths within a year!

Farrell, Scannell and Arnold is a good crop for next year. Crosbie would be a worthwhile asset on a low value contract too I'd reckon.
Any sign of Arnold being fit?
Holland retiring more or less prevents TB from playing 12
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

wixfjord wrote:Leinster have never signed 5 centres/9s on varying deal lengths within a year!

If all leinsters available second rows got injured would they not make temp signings?
Munster lost Arnold, saili, scannell to injury. Earls was unavailable, and with losing Holland to retirement he too was unavailable, and his retirement directly effected Tyler's availability at 12.

I doubt Munster want to sign anyone on a 3 month deal as it is not an ideal situation, but when there is no other option.....
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

munster#1 wrote:

If all leinsters available second rows got injured would they not make temp signings?
Munster lost Arnold, saili, scannell to injury. Earls was unavailable, and with losing Holland to retirement he too was unavailable, and his retirement directly effected Tyler's availability at 12.

I doubt Munster want to sign anyone on a 3 month deal as it is not an ideal situation, but when there is no other option.....

I think you're slightly overplaying that crisis! Three short term signings needed in six months in the same position (to go along with another perm signing) comes down to poor planning. If three of our second rows were injured then we wouldn't need three injury replacements no.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

wixfjord wrote:
munster#1 wrote:

I think you're slightly overplaying that crisis! Three short term signings needed in six months in the same position (to go along with another perm signing) comes down to poor planning. If three of our second rows were injured then we wouldn't need three injury replacements no.
I believe it is only 2 temp signings in the center, Taute and O'Shea.
Arnold was future planning, but has yet to play due to injury.
Farrell is future planning, but won't be here until next season.
O'Shea is possibly a short term signing with a view of a permanent contract, but has yet to impress. This is good planning if it works out. No point giving him a permanent deal until you are sure.

Not over playing the CRISIS at all, fact is that Munster had no fit senior centers other than scannell, who is just back from injury.

I'm sure if Leinster had all second rows bar McCarty injured then they wouldn't bother signing anyone ( I use second row as an example because Leinster currently have a number of signings in that position ).
But I ask you this! Would the fans be happy to see AIL standard players playing in Europe?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It's still poor planning. Ignoring the injuries for a second, you essentially went into the season with Scannell, Saili and Arnold as proper centres at what could be perceived as the required level and then Earls as back up if needed. Even if they had been fit, that's cr@p planning, and part of the reason that you've been clutching at straws since.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

munster#1 wrote:
I believe it is only 2 temp signings in the center, Taute and O'Shea.
Arnold was future planning, but has yet to play due to injury.
Farrell is future planning, but won't be here until next season.
O'Shea is possibly a short term signing with a view of a permanent contract, but has yet to impress. This is good planning if it works out. No point giving him a permanent deal until you are sure.

Not over playing the CRISIS at all, fact is that Munster had no fit senior centers other than scannell, who is just back from injury.

I'm sure if Leinster had all second rows bar McCarty injured then they wouldn't bother signing anyone ( I use second row as an example because Leinster currently have a number of signings in that position ).
But I ask you this! Would the fans be happy to see AIL standard players playing in Europe?
You're putting this down to luck, I'm putting it down to poor succession planning in the centre.

Leinster have 6 second rows, all of whom could play to at least Pro 12 level, McCarthy, Toner, Triggs, Mick K, Molony, Nagle, along with Ryan.

So if we had 3 injuries, we'd be grand.

That's pretty good succession planning.

Munster went into the season with Scannell, Saili, Earls and an injured Arnold.

They've been unlucky with injuries, but the starting point was poor and that's led to a compound effect. That's not good succession planning.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:It's still poor planning. Ignoring the injuries for a second, you essentially went into the season with Scannell, Saili and Arnold as proper centres at what could be perceived as the required level and then Earls as back up if needed. Even if they had been fit, that's cr@p planning, and part of the reason that you've been clutching at straws since.
Munster also had Holland, who had the ability to play center or free Tyler up to play there.
Teams can't sign an unlimited number of out and out centres, wingers, etc.

Sure they could have signed another one, but with saili there it would of had to be an iq player.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote:
They've been unlucky with injuries, but the starting point was poor and that's led to a compound effect. That's not good succession planning.
Bingo. You put that better than I ever could.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
Bingo. You put that better than I ever could.
Leinster are in a fortunate position that McCarty had no allegiance to connacht and that nagle came out of retirement.

Munster have been trying to sign Farrell for a couple of years, and have given other iq players trialls. Unfortunately the players just aren't there.

With the niq restrictions and the unavailability of iq players it is difficult to correctly plan.

In other words, as with Leinster and second rows, we struggle to develops centers, but unlike with centers second rows are a dime a dozen.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Leinster's second row situation has absolutely no relevance to a debate about Munster's centre situation.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Leinster's second row situation has absolutely no relevance to a debate about Munster's centre situation.
Numbers wise no, but I was just highlighting that all clubs have areas where they need to sign niq players, and temp signings.

I would also like to highlight that the so called crisis with Munster centers isn't really a crisis.
The signed Taute, problem solved.

Put of interest if Henshaw, ringrose and Reid were injured, who would be Leinster' center partnership in Europe?
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

munster#1 wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Leinster's second row situation has absolutely no relevance to a debate about Munster's centre situation.
Numbers wise no, but I was just highlighting that all clubs have areas where they need to sign niq players, and temp signings.

I would also like to highlight that the so called crisis with Munster centers isn't really a crisis.
The signed Taute, problem solved.

Put of interest if Henshaw, ringrose and Reid were injured, who would be Leinster' center partnership in Europe?
Taute and Aki