Munster 2016-2017

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
offshorerules
Isa Nacewa
Posts: 2221
Joined: October 19th, 2012, 1:51 pm
Location: The Beverly Hills of South County Dublin

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by offshorerules »

I had a chuckle I'll admit.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am

User avatar
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip
Posts: 16777
Joined: July 21st, 2011, 3:04 am
Location: Dublin
Contact:

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by simonokeeffe »

Munster have called a press conference for today...
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon

User avatar
Cor. Ind.
Learner
Posts: 93
Joined: March 14th, 2017, 12:39 am

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by Cor. Ind. »

Come what may, I have the greatest respect for Rassie. The guy is quite simply a miracle worker, a la Wim Jansen. He took us from a rabble to the verge of a treble in 9 months.

Any Munster fan who says otherwise is an idiot.
Last edited by Cor. Ind. on April 3rd, 2017, 11:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Only in America!"

Yogi Berra - on learning the Lord Mayor of Dublin was a Jew.

User avatar
fourthirtythree
Cian Healy
Posts: 9376
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:33 pm
Location: Eight miles high

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by fourthirtythree »

He's been fantastic for Munster and by extension for Irish rugby. I understand how he would feel he couldn't turn the offer down but it's still a huge loss for Irish rugby.
Datta: what have we given?
My friend, blood shaking my heart
The awful daring of a moment's surrender
Which an age of prudence can never retract
What the thunder said to Brian Lenihan

Golf Man
Isa Nacewa
Posts: 2033
Joined: November 2nd, 2010, 2:00 pm

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by Golf Man »

He's been fantastic particularly in light of what has happened this year. That said the likes of Bleyendaal, Sweetnam, Ryan, Scannell x2 didn't come from nowwhere - they were developed over the last couple of years. Shame whats happening but its probably a once in a lifetime chance for him to do what he has probably always wanted to do. Don't know where that leaves us tbh - No problem with Nienaber being promoted to a Head Coach position but would assume that he wouldn't the Rassie role - its a hard fit when the core of the coaching staff is being retained

User avatar
offshorerules
Isa Nacewa
Posts: 2221
Joined: October 19th, 2012, 1:51 pm
Location: The Beverly Hills of South County Dublin

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by offshorerules »

The 'best' fans in the world apparently....

https://www.balls.ie/rugby/ian-keatley- ... ife-362409
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am

User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Leo Cullen
Posts: 13190
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Have to say I disagree with the above, I think it would be very poor form for him to leave. Signs a three year deal and signals his intention to leave less than a year into it at a time when a member of the coaching team died and he was strongly backed by the IRFU. I know there were clauses but I'm sorry I think that that's appalling in the circumstances.

Everything is going well now but fast forward a couple of months to Munster not winning a trophy and people will say that him leaving affected their performances and his legacy will not look so good. Reminds me of a couple getting married and one partner gushing about the other and planning for the future but then running off with an ex when they get a booty call.

There's no reason he couldn't be the SA coach in the future, doesn't have to leave now.

User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Leo Cullen
Posts: 13190
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

offshorerules wrote:The 'best' fans in the world apparently....

https://www.balls.ie/rugby/ian-keatley- ... ife-362409
That was awful but there isn't a province in the country that doesn't have fans who cross the line with players or coaches. Plenty of awful stuff was said on here about MOC and a few others so lets not start another provincial sh!t fight but maybe cop on to the fact that players and coaches are people too. It really grinds my gears when fans like that or on here have the temerity to slag off pro players who are infinitely more talented and hard working than they are.

User avatar
Cor. Ind.
Learner
Posts: 93
Joined: March 14th, 2017, 12:39 am

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by Cor. Ind. »

Golf Man wrote:He's been fantastic particularly in light of what has happened this year. That said the likes of Bleyendaal, Sweetnam, Ryan, Scannell x2 didn't come from nowwhere - they were developed over the last couple of years. Shame whats happening but its probably a once in a lifetime chance for him to do what he has probably always wanted to do. Don't know where that leaves us tbh - No problem with Nienaber being promoted to a Head Coach position but would assume that he wouldn't the Rassie role - its a hard fit when the core of the coaching staff is being retained

In spite of Einstein's 'Law of Insanity', I'm sure many will call for POC & ROG's return. Kidney & EOS are simply too long out of the game.

Personally, if Rassie does leave then JN needs to be given free reign. Our coaching ticket already involves guys double jobbing.

At the very least, we'll need a forwards coach, a skills coach and a DR.
"Only in America!"

Yogi Berra - on learning the Lord Mayor of Dublin was a Jew.

User avatar
Cor. Ind.
Learner
Posts: 93
Joined: March 14th, 2017, 12:39 am

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by Cor. Ind. »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Have to say I disagree with the above, I think it would be very poor form for him to leave. Signs a three year deal and signals his intention to leave less than a year into it at a time when a member of the coaching team died and he was strongly backed by the IRFU. I know there were clauses but I'm sorry I think that that's appalling in the circumstances.

Everything is going well now but fast forward a couple of months to Munster not winning a trophy and people will say that him leaving affected their performances and his legacy will not look so good. Reminds me of a couple getting married and one partner gushing about the other and planning for the future but then running off with an ex when they get a booty call.

There's no reason he couldn't be the SA coach in the future, doesn't have to leave now.
Good points, well made. My worry would be that he takes the RSA job, results don't improve and AC & BV take the fall...if he then comes back for JN next season...well...
"Only in America!"

Yogi Berra - on learning the Lord Mayor of Dublin was a Jew.

User avatar
Oldschool
Leo Cullen
Posts: 12695
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by Oldschool »

I've just had an horrible thought.
We up in Leinster have been wondering about when Burt is going to sign on the dotted line.
Is there a link between Rassie's departure and delay in Burt finalising things with Leinster.
Also and I hate to burst your bubbles but Rassie won't wait a year to sign NN.
BTW really tough luck for you guys.
Season going really well and boooommmm.
ALSO - If confirmed it's worthy of it's own thread.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.

Ruckedtobits
Shane Horgan
Posts: 4894
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Just a snippet I picked up today.

"SARFU have agreed the recruitment of Brendan Venter to the National Coaching staff with immediate effect. Venter will join SARFU as Defence and Exits Coach".

Is this a straw in the wind? It certainly is not part of the 'Transformation Agenda'.

User avatar
Cor. Ind.
Learner
Posts: 93
Joined: March 14th, 2017, 12:39 am

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by Cor. Ind. »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Just a snippet I picked up today.

"SARFU have agreed the recruitment of Brendan Venter to the National Coaching staff with immediate effect. Venter will join SARFU as Defence and Exits Coach".

Is this a straw in the wind? It certainly is not part of the 'Transformation Agenda'.
The only thing it proves is that Nienbar ain't going anywhere.
"Only in America!"

Yogi Berra - on learning the Lord Mayor of Dublin was a Jew.

User avatar
Oldschool
Leo Cullen
Posts: 12695
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by Oldschool »

Timbit wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
offshorerules wrote:The 'best' fans in the world apparently....

https://www.balls.ie/rugby/ian-keatley- ... ife-362409
That was awful but there isn't a province in the country that doesn't have fans who cross the line with players or coaches. Plenty of awful stuff was said on here about MOC and a few others so lets not start another provincial sh!t fight but maybe cop on to the fact that players and coaches are people too. It really grinds my gears when fans like that or on here have the temerity to slag off pro players who are infinitely more talented and hard working than they are.
You don't have to look further than the "Who's toss and who's boss" thread on this site to know that the attitude isn't contained to Munster.
There is no comparison between MOC and Rassie.
In MOC's case, the fans and ultimately the IRFU wanted rid.
In Rassie's it's totally the opposite.
A comparison between Pat Lam and Rassie would be more appropriate.
Rassie, it is rumoured, will be the next SA national coach .
Munster have got a huge benefit from having him for one year.
The choice facing Munster now is between moving forward with a similsr coach or reverting to........ let's be kind.....
transition.
We had our transition and I wouldn't recommend.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.

User avatar
Cor. Ind.
Learner
Posts: 93
Joined: March 14th, 2017, 12:39 am

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by Cor. Ind. »

Hard to know what to make of Rassie's words today at the presser...there's a veritable chasm as long as the San Andre's Fault between a done deal and mere speculation...

Hmmm...for this at least I am grateful broer:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8dHUfy_YBps
"Only in America!"

Yogi Berra - on learning the Lord Mayor of Dublin was a Jew.

User avatar
Laighin Break
Mullet
Posts: 1035
Joined: May 3rd, 2012, 9:35 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by Laighin Break »

Oldschool wrote:
Timbit wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
That was awful but there isn't a province in the country that doesn't have fans who cross the line with players or coaches. Plenty of awful stuff was said on here about MOC and a few others so lets not start another provincial sh!t fight but maybe cop on to the fact that players and coaches are people too. It really grinds my gears when fans like that or on here have the temerity to slag off pro players who are infinitely more talented and hard working than they are.
You don't have to look further than the "Who's toss and who's boss" thread on this site to know that the attitude isn't contained to Munster.
There is no comparison between MOC and Rassie.
In MOC's case, the fans and ultimately the IRFU wanted rid.
In Rassie's it's totally the opposite.
A comparison between Pat Lam and Rassie would be more appropriate.
Rassie, it is rumoured, will be the next SA national coach .
Munster have got a huge benefit from having him for one year.
The choice facing Munster now is between moving forward with a similsr coach or reverting to........ let's be kind.....
transition.
We had our transition and I wouldn't recommend.
I think the comparison was between MOC and Keatley, not Rassie

User avatar
munster#1
Shane Horgan
Posts: 4171
Joined: June 18th, 2009, 3:47 pm

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by munster#1 »

If Rassie goes it's hard to blame him, he will have the chance to do what nearly every coach would aspire to do, coach their national squad.

It would have a massive impact on Munster however.
It's hard to know who Munster should line up as the next coach, it will have to be a coach that wants to continue what is happening, rather than stamp their own mark.

Lancaster may be a good fit as director of rugby with POC brought in as forwards coach, and Nienebar made head coach.

User avatar
blockhead
Shane Jennings
Posts: 6080
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by blockhead »

munster#1 wrote:If Rassie goes it's hard to blame him, he will have the chance to do what nearly every coach would aspire to do, coach their national squad.

It would have a massive impact on Munster however.
It's hard to know who Munster should line up as the next coach, it will have to be a coach that wants to continue what is happening, rather than stamp their own mark.

Lancaster may be a good fit as director of rugby with POC brought in as forwards coach, and Nienebar made head coach.
What an awfully lazy effort. What happened to you man?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!

User avatar
Oldschoolsocks
Isa Nacewa
Posts: 2380
Joined: January 4th, 2015, 11:36 am
Location: Stepping out of the Supernova

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

blockhead wrote:
munster#1 wrote:If Rassie goes it's hard to blame him, he will have the chance to do what nearly every coach would aspire to do, coach their national squad.

It would have a massive impact on Munster however.
It's hard to know who Munster should line up as the next coach, it will have to be a coach that wants to continue what is happening, rather than stamp their own mark.

Lancaster may be a good fit as director of rugby with POC brought in as forwards coach, and Nienebar made head coach.
What an awfully lazy effort. What happened to you man?
He used to be beautiful

User avatar
Peg Leg
Cian Healy
Posts: 9440
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia
Contact:

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by Peg Leg »

munster#1 wrote:If Rassie goes it's hard to blame him, he will have the chance to do what nearly every coach would aspire to do, coach their national squad.

It would have a massive impact on Munster however.
It's hard to know who Munster should line up as the next coach, it will have to be a coach that wants to continue what is happening, rather than stamp their own mark.

Lancaster may be a good fit as director of rugby with POC brought in as forwards coach, and Nienebar made head coach.
Apart from the fact that Bomber wants to stick with the hands on coaching of the team and not the DOR stuff, yeah he would.

How did you put it last week?
"Jealousy is a sickening feeling alright"
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan

Post Reply