Connacht 2016/17

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

leinsterforever
Mullet

Re: Connacht 2016/17

Post by leinsterforever »

I know Andre Bell left because he wanted to return to NZ, but I wonder whether the right salary and a position as head coach would tempt him back. Connacht have just been a touch off since he left
wprathead
Bookworm

Post by wprathead »

Jack Carty had a good game but we lack a quality place kicker when Ronaldson, Cooney or Boshoff not on the pitch - TOH and Parata can kick AFAIK so maybe worth giving them a shot

Scrum was great but lineout a disaster - a few times no one even jumped so wasn't Tom's darts we simply had no one calling

Fox, Marmion and Parata were standouts but Ili, Niyi and Heenan were disappointing

If not to many injuries I would fancy us next week

Launchbry is different class
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Ronaldson is a big loss. As for the lineout, a shambles.

The scrum was great. Buckley we all know about but Connor Carey looks a serious scrummager too. He certainly caught the eye more than Marty Moore.

What is it with Connacht and injuries. Every time I watch them at least 2 players goes off injured. They even started the season with a long injury list!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

dropkick wrote:Ronaldson is a big loss. As for the lineout, a shambles.

The scrum was great. Buckley we all know about but Connor Carey looks a serious scrummager too. He certainly caught the eye more than Marty Moore.

What is it with Connacht and injuries. Every time I watch them at least 2 players goes off injured. They even started the season with a long injury list!
Ronaldon is in that Johnny Bell/Luke category of fantastic player thats just always injured
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Fan with smartphone wrote:Not crucified, but he wasn't winning. To be fair, I watched wasps last week v Worcester. Their scrum was in big trouble on loosehead side too. Moore was their saving grace.
Cheers, missed first half

Who would ever have imagined a Kurtley Beale-Brendan Macken midfield partnership :)
Definitely a dream come true for Kurtley Beale
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

I wonder does he do impersonations?
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

MO reporting Jackman does have a relegation clause but "would prefer to stay on (in that event) provided the club supply the means for a swift return"
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Massive win, MASSIVE!!!
Pro12 is still shite btw,
Shite!!!!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

blockhead wrote:Massive win, MASSIVE!!!
Pro12 is still shite btw,
Shite!!!!
Pure shite.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

That win was a joy to behold.
brenno
Bookworm

Post by brenno »

In round 5 if we assume Connacht get 5 pts of Zebre, Wasps could do the westies a huge favour by beating Toulouse at hone and hopefully without a lbp for the French. That would make it Connacht 18, Wasps 17/18 and Toulouse 13. Wasps have Zebre in round 6 so would then finish on 22/23 and Toulouse would have to get 5pts at home against Connacht and deny Connacht a lbp. If Connacht get a lbp and finish 2nd that should be enough for a best 2nd place slot for the QF. Toulouse are no great shakes any more and I think Connacht are well placed to finish second in this group. Who knows if Leinster get a home QF (looks feasible) we could end up playing the westies - that would be some game!
bonzo
Learner

Post by bonzo »

Fan with smartphone wrote:That win was a joy to behold.
Proper Friday Night Lights "whole team running on and going crazy after the winning play" celebration at the end too
brenno
Bookworm

Post by brenno »

EPCR now saying Connacht shouldn't have ben allowed kick to touch after the 80 mins, bet Wasps are going to feel pretty p1ssed off with that, as they also say the result stands. Sweet!
WhiskeyPapa
Beginner

Post by WhiskeyPapa »

brenno wrote:EPCR now saying Connacht shouldn't have ben allowed kick to touch after the 80 mins, bet Wasps are going to feel pretty p1ssed off with that, as they also say the result stands. Sweet!
And the EPCR are right, because that law change doesn't come into effect until 1st January 2017. Oops! :mrgreen:
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:MO reporting Jackman does have a relegation clause but "would prefer to stay on (in that event) provided the club supply the means for a swift return"
EPCR sour grapes.
Connacht did well over the two games against the second placed English team.
That's a good benchmark of how good a team Connacht have become.
If they can shore up their scrum against Toulouse they can get enough to qualify.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

brenno wrote:EPCR now saying Connacht shouldn't have ben allowed kick to touch after the 80 mins, bet Wasps are going to feel pretty p1ssed off with that, as they also say the result stands. Sweet!
This is bothering me now; I'm sure that penalty was awarded before the 80th minute, and was kicked out with a couple of seconds left but can't find footage anywhere! Anyone know where I can see it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Oldschool wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:MO reporting Jackman does have a relegation clause but "would prefer to stay on (in that event) provided the club supply the means for a swift return"
EPCR sour grapes.
Connacht did well over the two games against the second placed English team.
That's a good benchmark of how good a team Connacht have become.
If they can shore up their scrum against Toulouse they can get enough to qualify.
think you have quoted the wrong quote there :D
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Twist wrote:
This is bothering me now; I'm sure that penalty was awarded before the 80th minute, and was kicked out with a couple of seconds left but can't find footage anywhere! Anyone know where I can see it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here you go - looks like penalty was awarded at 80:03.

Muldoon convinces ref that new law is already in existence - wonder if he was mistaken or if he was just really clever.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vbUgVg1YZ4Q
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Don't know about that, the whistle was blown just before 80, and the ref says "you are allowed...". I don't think Connacht were being cute hoors.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

fourthirtythree wrote:Don't know about that, the whistle was blown just before 80, and the ref says "you are allowed...". I don't think Connacht were being cute hoors.
No matter how hard I try I can't manage to get the whistle to blow before exactly 80:00. Maybe someone like Murray Kinsella, with the technology at his disposal, could but no matter many times I watch and pause the instant the whistle sounds it's right on the 80 minute mark every time

If you listen you can clearly hear Muldoon saying "but the new rules you're allowed go to the corner and you've time...." at which point both the referee AND the commentator agree with him.

Btw I hope you're not taking me up wrong - even if Muldoon did know he was wrong and played the ref I have no problem with that - I'm delighted that Connacht won.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever