Ulster 2017 - 2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Re: Ulster 2017 - 2018

Post by BlueBlue »

Sounds like he's at least half way out the door. I think this is a good thing if change is going to happen.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
darkside lighteside
Graduate

Post by darkside lighteside »

Oldschool wrote:@Darkside
A very good way to display the impact on your squad using Leinster imports.
However there is at least one flaw in the presentation.
HC Lancaster - Leinster says NO
Oh, and you didn't even name check him - sneaky. :wink:
:D wait until you see my next iteration, it has Leavy and McGrath in it :D
darkside lighteside
Graduate

sunshiner1 wrote:We mentioned this in the Connacht thread. Godwin is a 12 who sometimes plays 10. Might be good enough for Ulster as I can't imagine there is a lot of options right now.
We definitely need one more 10 IMO - even if Jackson is playing again next season. At the minute we have McPhillips (who is promising but needs phasing in rather than being our frontline back-up) and Nelson, whose career as a decent back 3 player is being roundly screwed up by being shoe-horned in as a mediocre out-half.

So I can understand why we might be taking a look at some options - the PJ/Olding situation complicates things enormously.. I'm not sure whether you want any talk about the case here as such, but my personal view is that Jackson will be back playing next season - whether at Ulster or elsewhere. If at Ulster then I seriously think that it would be a great move for Marsh; if elsewhere then I think we need a pretty big signing...
darkside lighteside
Graduate

Dave Cahill wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Whether he's the right man for the job is to be debated, but calling a man a 'clown' for facing the music like this is a bit much.
But he isn't facing the music, he's facing a camera in an entirely controlled and scripted situation, facing the music would have been attending the Supporters Club Q&A the other night.
yes exactly, this is an absolute shocker which has gone down like a s**t sandwich up here... He seems to have taken a video of himself, answering his own questions, in his usual slippery, self-exculpatory way, with no rebuttal - and released it on Ulster's social media channels 15 minutes into the England game on Saturday

Meanwhile Bryn, in fairness, is getting out in front of the pitchfork-wielding masses and actually answering hard questions with candour

There are 2 good things to come for this - firstly if an example was needed of Logan's questionable judgement and competence, well voila IRFU, and secondly this doesn't strike me as the action of a man who feels comfortable in his post, I'd say something is afoot behind the scenes.

Again, all the problems aren't down to him - who thinks that a 12-person committee of blazers is an appropriate 'board' for strategic decisions? It's ironically called the Professional Management Committee - I'd like to see the CVs of the members to ascertain if any of them have any experience at all of 'professional management' of a rugby club outside of their sinecure at Ulster. What is the relationship of the committee members with Ulster - are they volunteers? Paid? What other responsibilities do they have? How are they appointed, and in what circumstances can they be removed? What assessment is made of their skills & experience prior to appointment? How is their performance assessed? etc etc. As far as I can see, the purpose of this committee is to diffuse accountability over a large pool of (mostly low-profile) people - so that when things go wrong the Ulster CEO can say 'well, it's not really down to me, you see there's a committee that takes these decisions..'
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

darkside lighteside wrote:
Oldschool wrote:@Darkside
A very good way to display the impact on your squad using Leinster imports.
However there is at least one flaw in the presentation.
HC Lancaster - Leinster says NO
Oh, and you didn't even name check him - sneaky. :wink:
:D wait until you see my next iteration, it has Leavy and McGrath in it :D
I think it would be easier for all involved if you were to just move down here. This is a safe space to come out DL, we have lots of love to give.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
darkside lighteside
Graduate

Peg Leg wrote:I think it would be easier for all involved if you were to just move down here. This is a safe space to come out DL, we have lots of love to give.
ha ha tempting..

anyway some good news today with Best & Henderson signing..
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ulster were brutal, 6n POTT Stockwell looked bad again in a hurry. Piatau doesnt look invested

Timoney was good, thats about it
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

simonokeeffe wrote:Ulster were brutal, 6n POTT Stockwell looked bad again in a hurry. Piatau doesnt look invested

Timoney was good, thats about it
Didn't see the match so can't comment expect it was the result I expected, don't think we will win any of the last 3 matches.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I can't remember seeing a team being able to read what an attack was going to do so easily that they could constantly shoot up in defence and smash the runner well behind the gainline in the way the Blues managed it yesterday. They just did it time and time again. I've been trying to work out what Peel has been trying to do recently and if he's worth keeping on, but based on yesterday he does't seem up to much.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I can't remember seeing a team being able to read what an attack was going to do so easily that they could constantly shoot up in defence and smash the runner well behind the gainline in the way the Blues managed it yesterday. They just did it time and time again. I've been trying to work out what Peel has been trying to do recently and if he's worth keeping on, but based on yesterday he does't seem up to much.
In fairness, everyone in the Pro14 has managed to work out what Peel is trying to do :lol:
I have Bumbleflex
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Dave Cahill wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I can't remember seeing a team being able to read what an attack was going to do so easily that they could constantly shoot up in defence and smash the runner well behind the gainline in the way the Blues managed it yesterday. They just did it time and time again. I've been trying to work out what Peel has been trying to do recently and if he's worth keeping on, but based on yesterday he does't seem up to much.
In fairness, everyone in the Pro14 has managed to work out what Peel is trying to do :lol:
In fairness Peel is useless.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

All four men found not guilty of all charges in Belfast
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Whither now.
Will their Ulster careers be effected?
Will their Ireland careers be effected?
Optics will now be to the forefront.
I'm no legal expert but this case probably shouldn't have seen the courtroom.
Feel sorry for the complaintant and the four lads.
There are no winners.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:All four men found not guilty of all charges in Belfast
Theres going to be some dumb af things said following this.

Remains to be seen whether they stay in Ulster

Really doubt theyll play this season given they havent played in so long plus the circus that would ensue. Same goes for summer tour.

IRFU are going to have to make a decision and a statement about these guys too. Well mainly PJ

@Oldschool was initially surprised it went to trial too though that was lessened by the texts etc
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Oldschool wrote: I'm no legal expert but this case probably shouldn't have seen the courtroom.
Feel sorry for the complaintant and the four lads.
There are no winners.
That's essentially how I see it all too.

Is Rory Best still the devil incarnate?
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Think the verdict was obviously going to go that way. Huge inconsistencies in the evidence.

They've apparently got new clubs lined up already. Exeter and Bristol were in for them.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
darkside lighteside
Graduate

A shocking case, that should never have seen the light of day. You have to wonder what the CPS were thinking (especially as supposedly the case was twice sent back to them by the judge to review) - presumably they felt their hand forced by the leak and BBC decision to publish (questions there too, and another lawsuit of course...)

AFAIC there is no reason at all for them to leave Ulster - unless they specifically want to themselves. Pretty much every big side in England and France have been following this pretty closely on the QT - they would have plenty of choices...

I personally would like to see both back playing before the end of the year, and to stay with Ulster
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Cannot believe IRFU have the ability in any regard "to review" any aspect of this. Two defendants are on fixed-term Contracts of employment, currently suspended. Ulster and IRFU have capacity not to offer new contracts at their date of expiry, nothing more in my view. If they go beyond that, a further legal battle will ensue, with lawyers the only beneficiaries.

Clubs beyond these shores will be the winners in this.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

The IRFU and Ulster Rugby have confirmed that Jackson and Olding continue to be suspended pending a review. Whatever about the legal issues, the damage to the reputation of Ulster has been significantly impacted which has impact on culture, sponsorship and brand.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Hearing Sale and Saracens
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan