Munster 2017 -2018

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Munster 2017 -2018

Post by Peg Leg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Just thinking, the events that have led him to this position (and I'm aware it's only an interim role for now) are extraordinary. Leaving Leinster at a young age when we didn't want to lose him, the serious injuries, Foley passing away, and then Rassie and JN leaving during their contract.

Compare it to someone like Girv and it's all a bit mad as to how it came about.
Cullenesque
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Peg Leg wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Just thinking, the events that have led him to this position (and I'm aware it's only an interim role for now) are extraordinary. Leaving Leinster at a young age when we didn't want to lose him, the serious injuries, Foley passing away, and then Rassie and JN leaving during their contract.

Compare it to someone like Girv and it's all a bit mad as to how it came about.
Cullenesque
John Snow esque
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Good luck to him.

Can't ever remember a Pre-Season which has had less "news" from down south. Have all media become so pissed off with Rassie after last season's 'false news' that they won't cover rumours or are Munster just keeping the head down? Very very unusual.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Good luck to him.

Can't ever remember a Pre-Season which has had less "news" from down south. Have all media become so pissed off with Rassie after last season's 'false news' that they won't cover rumours or are Munster just keeping the head down? Very very unusual.
Some of the main hacks must be having an extended holiday after spending so long in NZ with the Lions. We'd never be so lucky to be really free of an ear bashing on Munster.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Good luck to him.

No news is good news.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Felix has even less experience than Leo did when he was thrown in at the deep end.
What's next?
Molly Malone replaces the fields as the anthem at Thomond?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

From Munster Rugby

Following confirmation in June that he will take up the role of National Director of Rugby with South Africa Rugby, Rassie Erasmus discusses his decision to depart the province and the succession plan in place for the coming months.

In taking up the position with the South African national sides later this year, Erasmus will fulfil a lifelong ambition to lead his country sooner than expected.

“I, and my family, moved to Limerick not knowing what was ahead of us, it was a challenge I was both nervous and excited about, and the experience has exceeded any of my expectations. However, in making the decision to move I always said that one day I would like to coach the Springboks if the opportunity arose.

“The squad have always been the priority for me, and with regards the players I told them that I had wanted to be involved with the Springboks eventually. I said ‘at this stage it is not a reality, but one day if it comes, I will definitely take that opportunity.’ It then became a reality earlier than I thought it would.

“I said the same to Garrett (Fitzgerald) and David (Nucifora), my employers, on an informal basis, saying that one day I would like to go back and be involved with the Springboks. I asked would they stand in my way if I went to, not an opposition team, but an international team, and knowing where we all stood we continued to work together, understanding what may come down the line. As discussions then got more serious all eventualities were being looked at.

“In June South Africa Rugby confirmed how the newly created position would work and when I spoke to Garrett and David they confirmed they wouldn’t stand in my way. It was a national job, a wonderful opportunity and not with an opposition team. That was the spirit in which it was handled and both management and players understand the reason for leaving.

“Had I known earlier last season that I was definitely going to leave I would have said so, but to say so then would have been lying.”

Returning to South Africa alongside Erasmus will be Defence Coach Jacques Nienaber with both set to depart Munster in December, if not sooner, in facilitating the province’s succession plan.

“The reason for leaving in December and not the end of the season is that the South African season works differently from here. In Europe it’s June to May, in South Africa it’s January to November.

“The way the whole conversation went with Garrett and David, it was never a case of Jacques and I staying for exactly six or nine months, or whatever. The priority is finding the right replacement and if that means us staying until October, November or December, so be it, it’s an open discussion.

“I will coach and do my very best for as long as I am here, but if they find a replacement coach tomorrow and say I must go tomorrow, then I will go. Depending on appointments we may leave at different times, him before me or vice versa. December at this stage is the ideal goal as we feel it will give everyone enough time to prepare, but that is open for discussion.

“We understand that we are in the middle of a contract and Munster are graciously helping us so anything we can do to facilitate Munster we will do.

“Leaving midseason can cause some uncertainty, but to a degree there was uncertainty as well last season, ‘who are these guys, where are they coming from, how will they handle it?’. The squad went on to have a great season and we went on to bolster the squad in all the positions that we had to.

“We’ve got a stronger squad heading into next season and Jerry and Felix are fully on board with what we are trying to do. We have planned it very carefully, we are aligning the systems with coaches, players and Garrett so that whenever the departure comes the transition is smooth.

“For example, rather than me doing certain duties we have handed them over to Felix and Jerry now and they are overseen by me. Players then get used to that and it should make things easier for a new coach coming in.”

As regards the recruitment process undertaken by Munster and the IRFU, Erasmus is happy to assist where appropriate and necessary, yet building on the on-field successes of last season remains his primary focus for the coming months.

“My opinion will be asked if I know the guy, if I coached against the guy. That would be the level of my involvement. I will not be sitting in on any interviews.

“My focus is more on the start of the PRO14 and Europe. I know we have a better squad than last year and we have grown as a team, but that must be reflected on the field, so that will be my only challenge, and priority, until we get on the plane.”
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Somehow I don't think Munster and the IRFU would have expected him to want to leave less than a year into a two year deal after all they did to support him. Plus he's obviously not performing the same role now so what he's saying about being happy to stay for a while etc is nonsense. It's fairly obvious that he left them up sh!t creek but they've been able to hang onto them for 6 months because of the clause, he wanted to be gone by now. So now he'll just be managing a handover until December...a handover that's to an INTERIM coach, which means it'll be pretty much pointless anyway once a new head coach comes in.

Anyway, they've signed Ciaran Parker, 21 year old IQ tighthead from Sale.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Karma is a bitch all the same. They were such c**ts when they were on top.
I have Bumbleflex
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/parker- ... er-switch/

Munster sign Prop on 1 year deal, and he's not SA
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Dave Cahill wrote:Karma is a bitch all the same. They were such c**ts when they were on top.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
drive for 5
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Dave Cahill wrote:Karma is a bitch all the same. They were such c**ts when they were on top.
Yup

+1

etc
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Hahaha! Niall Kiely and his ilk loving their turnip juice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT7YZQEHHVE
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

hugonaut wrote:
Hahaha! Niall Kiely and his ilk loving their turnip juice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT7YZQEHHVE
Ah, Niall Kiely, haven't heard from him since, well since that article, over 8 years ago.
"Even the daft loss of press officer Pat Geraghty has been Munster’s considerable gain. And as for Isa Nacewa: Lord, have mercy."
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Their new press officer soon became known as Pat "Ayatollah" Geraghty, he was soooo popular.
As for ISA, from that day forward.......... :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

That article really will go down in history! Didn't someone on here write the corresponding Leinster one and it was reasoned, balanced and humorous. Then he came out with that!
God there was some nonsense written around that time about Munster.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

There was. Written by a former member of this forum iirc. And a Reggie Corrigan one about Lunsters too.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

johng wrote:There was. Written by a former member of this forum iirc. And a Reggie Corrigan one about Lunsters too.
And a great piece of writing it was too

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/we-lea ... 0?mode=amp

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I have Bumbleflex
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Still a good read, and it only got better and better after that.
drive for 5
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Surely they could have gotten Eddie to do a 6 month stint? Felix Jones (recently turned 30) is a nut case choice. That's proper ridiculous.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

CiaranIrl wrote:Surely they could have gotten Eddie to do a 6 month stint? Felix Jones (recently turned 30) is a nut case choice. That's proper ridiculous.
They have the knack of making a hames of everything down there. From Penneys exit to Foley and now Rassie, not to mention being broke as well.

They could probably feck up Brexit more than the Brits
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ