Ulster 2018-2019

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Post by Peg Leg »

blockhead wrote:Peg Leg, maybe I got you wrong and if I did I apolagize.
But are you not arguing that Zebo has a higher right than Tom due to their respective backgrounds?
No I'm arguing that Tom has no right to decide on how severely Tom feels Zebo should react.
Comparisons to body shaming are ridiculous because they address a physical appearance at a point in time, genetic make up doesn't change. It's position in society does and that position is influenced by how we respond as a society to every expression of oppression or hate.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Peg Leg wrote:
But are you not arguing that Zebo has a higher right than Tom due to their respective backgrounds?
No I'm arguing that Tom has no right to decide on how severely Tom feels Zebo should react.
Comparisons to body shaming are ridiculous because they address a physical appearance at a point in time, genetic make up doesn't change. It's position in society does and that position is influenced by how we respond as a society to every expression of oppression or hate.
Fatties might disagree with you there.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

blockhead wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
Fatties might disagree with you there.
Well they can think whatever they want about Tom, so long as they are civil when discussing on a public forum.
[Climbs back onto high horse and sets off for ivory tower, slurping a green breakfast shake containing many leaves, avocado and chia seeds dreaming of a Double Sausage McMuffin meal covered in syrup]
Daniel Sullivan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Peg Leg wrote: Well they can think whatever they want about Tom, so long as they are civil when discussing on a public forum.
[Climbs back onto high horse and sets off for ivory tower, slurping a green breakfast shake containing many leaves, avocado and chia seeds dreaming of a Double Sausage McMuffin meal covered in syrup]
:lol:
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

Peg Leg wrote:
blockhead wrote:
Zebo's Mum is from Cork, so him and Tom share a 50% cultural history overlap, no?
I'm assuming Tom is;
from Munster, from Cork, White, Male
And that changes about nothing. The argument in defense of racial abuse being petty, needs to recognise that acceptance in any form in a progressive state undermines everything for those who are still subject to systemic racism in less progressive environments. The discussion is not about where we are locally, it's about how we got here and keep going until equality is a reality.
If you're part of "a culture" and you embrace it, it's not your person that you are offended for, it's the culture you are part of. Zebo is a public figure with clout, if it's happened and he is representing, then he is right to call it out.
That reads like mumbo jumbo to me. Expand it a bit and some journal will publish it for you, see here, it looks right up your street. :lol:

Also this onion video
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

blockhead wrote:
Zebo's Mum is from Cork, so him and Tom share a 50% cultural history overlap, no?
I'm assuming Tom is;
Overlooking the fact that Simon himself is from Cork
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

tomthefan wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
blockhead wrote:
I'm assuming Tom is;
And that changes about nothing. The argument in defense of racial abuse being petty, needs to recognise that acceptance in any form in a progressive state undermines everything for those who are still subject to systemic racism in less progressive environments. The discussion is not about where we are locally, it's about how we got here and keep going until equality is a reality.
If you're part of "a culture" and you embrace it, it's not your person that you are offended for, it's the culture you are part of. Zebo is a public figure with clout, if it's happened and he is representing, then he is right to call it out.
That reads like mumbo jumbo to me. Expand it a bit and some journal will publish it for you, see here, it looks right up your street. :lol:

Also this onion video
Ah, I can see why you're confused by the whole issue so.
Daniel Sullivan
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

f%~k me, this thread is depressing to read. I can't believe some of the arguments coming from some corners.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

CiaranIrl wrote:f%~k me, this thread is depressing to read. I can't believe some of the arguments coming from some corners.
Seriously depressing and all from 1 asshole shouting something at Zebo, and if reports are right nothing to do with his skin colour either. All blown totally out of proportion by social and other media.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Social Media doesn't post itself. Who are you pointing fingers at rooster?
Four Stars
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

CiaranIrl wrote:f%~k me, this thread is depressing to read. I can't believe some of the arguments coming from some corners.
That depends on your definition of a corner CiaranIrl, would you actually call them corners? Some corners would be offended by what you're describing as a corner. Of course those snowflakes are just out looking to be offended.
Daniel Sullivan
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Lar wrote:Social Media doesn't post itself. Who are you pointing fingers at rooster?
No one in particular Lar, I have heard what was said and a lot of supposition and comments have mushroomed through Chinese whispers, guessing and imagination. A lot of rubbish and witch hunting on Facebook and Twitter which I am steering clear off as it is getting nasty and vindictive beyond what is justified.
It has got to the stage in some threads you would think that it was a crowd chanting and not just one eejit.
People on the likes of this forum normally like to look at things rationally as do a lot on Facebook and Twitter but others just seem to lose the plot entirely and believe everything they read as the truth and fact.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Back to the rugby and we are looking a bit light at 9 and 10 this week again for what could be a need a point match.
Cooney, Burns and McCloskey all a bit of a doubt
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

rooster wrote:
Lar wrote:Social Media doesn't post itself. Who are you pointing fingers at rooster?
No one in particular Lar, I have heard what was said and a lot of supposition and comments have mushroomed through Chinese whispers, guessing and imagination. A lot of rubbish and witch hunting on Facebook and Twitter which I am steering clear off as it is getting nasty and vindictive beyond what is justified.
It has got to the stage in some threads you would think that it was a crowd chanting and not just one eejit.
People on the likes of this forum normally like to look at things rationally as do a lot on Facebook and Twitter but others just seem to lose the plot entirely and believe everything they read as the truth and fact.
The other day you said nothing probably happened because you didn't hear it/hear about it.

Now you're sure of what was said and seem to be ignoring the fact that Racing made a statement condemning racist insults against Zebo.

So I would suggest that you DO start paying attention to what's going on around you, otherwise it sounds like you're just denying reality because of your bias.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

rooster wrote:
Or we see no reason why Zebo and Racing Metro would make this all up
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
rooster wrote:
The other day you said nothing probably happened because you didn't hear it/hear about it.

Now you're sure of what was said and seem to be ignoring the fact that Racing made a statement condemning racist insults against Zebo.

So I would suggest that you DO start paying attention to what's going on around you, otherwise it sounds like you're just denying reality because of your bias.
I am not denying it didn't happen, it just so happens that some of those talking about it on Facebook never mentioned it on Saturday after the match and the various different rumours had various alleged comments made to him, some even saying it was a group of people chanting.
Since then I have been talking to someone who was there and heard the comment but didn't know who said it, he has told the relevant authorities and is leaving it in their hands if they can identify the person involved. This is the sort of guy you would trust to tell the truth and not embellish it, the sort of evidence you would have confidence in if you were in a court of law.
I do hope that they find the culprit and deal with him as it is not the type of thing we want happen.
My original scepticism was fuelled by the 2 previous allegations of racial abuse, Aled Brew mistook "dodgy dodgy kicker" for ..............
The previous was Matt McCullough in a tussle with Delon Armitage and called him a "wee spide" now try saying spide with a Ballymena accent and then with a London accent and it sounds like spade.
In other words they were simply misheard and both incidents were cleared up by league investigations.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

TBF Felon is a right wee spide.

Quite a few people here leaped at victim blaming though. Unsurprisingly it included those with strong opinions about free speech when it relates to white men saying things that are offensive to non white people or women, and heterosexual men saying things offensive to gay people.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Laighin Break wrote:
rooster wrote:
Or we see no reason why Zebo and Racing Metro would make this all up
Zebo hinted at something, he just said "I hope my ears were deceiving me"
Racing didn't say anything to Monday when it was all over the press and their statement was not exactly pushing for much to be done and even mentioned that it was one or 2 people and didn't wish to blemish all supporters because of it.
It was our own press, Indo especially who made a big thing out of it and then a bunch of our own supporters got in a major fuss about it and fed the frenzy.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Rooster - Zebo finished his tweet with something like "Django will win in the end". That is a clear reference to skin colour to my mind. I have not read Racing's statement but I would say it was very fair of them not to characterise all Ulster fans as having participated in unacceptable abusive behaviour.
Four Stars
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Lar wrote:Rooster - Zebo finished his tweet with something like "Django will win in the end". That is a clear reference to skin colour to my mind. I have not read Racing's statement but I would say it was very fair of them not to characterise all Ulster fans as having participated in unacceptable abusive behaviour.
You've separated what he said in his text.
I hadn't thought of it like that but was Zebo referring to himself (in a presumably ironic way) when he texted that ie he was going to win.
Who knows and I suppose as he hasn't clarified it or being asked (publically) to so we'll never know.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.