The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Re: The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Ruckedtobits wrote:They did it again tonight. Won with 6 tries having played like drains for middle 40 mins. In fact, their power and support lines in final 20 mins would give Sarries a run.
As much as I would like munster to beat sarries.... I just cannot see it. Sounds like carbery is out with his hamstring but even with him in, the saracens squad is just so strong.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Ronan O'Mahoney retires. I can't beleive this guy is 29!?! I still think of him a year or so out of the academy.

https://www.the42.ie/ronan-omahony-4585690-Apr2019/
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Tough for the guy. Kept in there for years until his contract expired and he probably didnt have much choice.

Decent player. 70 caps not bad going for a guy who was a bit of a late started and played 4 matches in the last 2 seasons.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

sunshiner1 wrote:Ronan O'Mahoney retires. I can't beleive this guy is 29!?! I still think of him a year or so out of the academy.

https://www.the42.ie/ronan-omahony-4585690-Apr2019/
sad news. must be really tough for him. never good to see a player retiring that young.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

MUNSTER (v Benetton Rugby): Mike Haley; Darren Sweetnam, Sam Arnold, Dan Goggin, Shane Daly; JJ Hanrahan, Alby Mathewson; Jeremy Loughman, Rhys Marshall, Stephen Archer, Fineen Wycherley, Billy Holland (capt), Jack O’Donoghue, Chris Cloete, Gavin Coombes.
Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Liam O’Connor, Ciaran Parker, Darren O’Shea, Dave O’Callaghan, Neil Cronin, Bill Johnston, Alex McHenry.
17 Munster men! :clap: Must be some sort of record. Big guns being rested for Coventry.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

blockhead wrote:
MUNSTER (v Benetton Rugby): Mike Haley; Darren Sweetnam, Sam Arnold, Dan Goggin, Shane Daly; JJ Hanrahan, Alby Mathewson; Jeremy Loughman, Rhys Marshall, Stephen Archer, Fineen Wycherley, Billy Holland (capt), Jack O’Donoghue, Chris Cloete, Gavin Coombes.
Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Liam O’Connor, Ciaran Parker, Darren O’Shea, Dave O’Callaghan, Neil Cronin, Bill Johnston, Alex McHenry.
17 Munster men! :clap: Must be some sort of record. Big guns being rested for Coventry.
I don't know 17 lads outside your catchment area, it is not a great endorsement on the Leinster academy.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Benetton Rugby: 15 Jayden Hayward, 14 Ratuva Tavuyara, 13 Tommaso Benvenuti, 12 Marco Zanon, 11 Monty Ioane, 10 Tommaso Allan (C), 9 Dewaldt Duvenage, 8 Toa Halafihi, 7 Abraham Steyn, 6 Sebastian Negri, 5 Federico Ruzza, 4 Irné Herbst, 3 Marco Riccioni, 2 Luca Bigi, 1 Nicola Quaglio.
Substitutes: 16 Hame Faiva, 17 Cherif Traore, 18 Simone Ferrari, 19 Marco Lazzaroni, 20 Giovanni Pettinelli, 21 Tito Tebaldi, 22 Antonio Rizzi, 23 Tommaso Iannone
One change from last week.
Massive game for Benetton. Would be the biggest achievement ever in Italian club rugby to gain a spot in the Heino on merit.
If things go there way they could lose tomorrow and still clinch it on the last weekend at Zebre.
yellabelly1961
Knowledgeable

Post by yellabelly1961 »

If Benetton win this does it get them a quarter final spot?
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

yellabelly1961 wrote:If Benetton win this does it get them a quarter final spot?
It will guarantee they make the playoffs for Europe at the very least. But they’ve Zebre up next and on current form (derbies etc) they should pick up 4-5pts there. If Embra lose to Ulster with no points they’re probably golden, after points it’s wins then pts diff so they’re still catchable.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

paddyor wrote:
yellabelly1961 wrote:If Benetton win this does it get them a quarter final spot?
It will guarantee they make the playoffs for Europe at the very least. But they’ve Zebre up next and on current form (derbies etc) they should pick up 4-5pts there. If Embra lose to Ulster with no points they’re probably golden, after points it’s wins then pts diff so they’re still catchable.
Yep sums it up.
A win means Scarlets cant catch them even though they will almost certainly get 10pts from the last 2 games.
A BP win for Benetton and no pts for Edinburgh would mean top 3 at least, but thats unlikely.
All sorts of scenarios in both conferences.
RichardP
Graduate

Post by RichardP »

Very good win for Munster’s youngsters, took over completely for the last 35 mins after some great rugby by both sides - and a few bizarre moments too.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Very good win for TPFKAM, just goes to show that their young, native players can do the job. The pity is that they don't get the game time. It will be interesting to see if they're trusted more next season. As far as this season goes, "Munster" should win silverware, I certainly would be very worried facing them in a playoff game.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

deco wrote:Very good win for TPFKAM, just goes to show that their young, native players can do the job. The pity is that they don't get the game time. It will be interesting to see if they're trusted more next season. As far as this season goes, "Munster" should win silverware, I certainly would be very worried facing them in a playoff game.
I don't blame you with the way Leinster are going.
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
harblstuff
Bookworm

Post by harblstuff »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:They did it again tonight. Won with 6 tries having played like drains for middle 40 mins. In fact, their power and support lines in final 20 mins would give Sarries a run.
As much as I would like munster to beat sarries.... I just cannot see it. Sounds like carbery is out with his hamstring but even with him in, the saracens squad is just so strong.

I think it's confirmed he's out now.

Bleyendaal to start I presume? He seems on form, I hope they beat Sarries.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

JVG looking to add to the coaching staff during the summer. Hopefully they're looking at an attack coach.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

dropkick wrote:JVG looking to add to the coaching staff during the summer. Hopefully they're looking at an attack coach.
Flannery and Jones's contracts are up, I'd assume Flannery will be kept but what I heard from him yesterday was something like "first we have to get the team re-signed". I would have thought that Munster should look to take the opportunity to replace Jones.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

fourthirtythree wrote:
dropkick wrote:JVG looking to add to the coaching staff during the summer. Hopefully they're looking at an attack coach.
Flannery and Jones's contracts are up, I'd assume Flannery will be kept but what I heard from him yesterday was something like "first we have to get the team re-signed". I would have thought that Munster should look to take the opportunity to replace Jones.
Maybe an outsider in the potential recruits, but Simon Mannix has ended his tenure at Pau1 by announceing that he and his forwards and backs Coaches will end their involvement at the end of the Season, despite having a Contract till 2020.

Mannix made Pau a sort of 'home from home' for Munster forwards and a number have had a decent tenure at the Club, notably Coughlan, Foley and Butler. Mannix also attracted a number of high quality New Zealanders, not least Colin Slade and his teams have played a nice brand of attacking rugby.

He probably lost his Director of Rugby post because of the Club's home form this Season which finds them languishing towards the bottom of the Top 14 table in 11th place.

He spent four years at Munster (2007-2011) and made the transition to Coach in Pau whom he guided from Pro D2 to the Top 14 fairly seamlessly. That's no easy task and his appreciation of players' skill-sets, coupled with good communication skills, were the primary assets that enabled him to give a very good account of his coaching ability over the past 5 Seasons.

Munster could do a lot worse than interview Mannix, who is likely to be in demand at more than one Stadium for next Season.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Prediction time for the faithful.
Saracens to win by 10+ points.
Only glint of hope for Munster is Billy's attack of foot in mouth.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

We've made a huge investment in "Munster", if they lose, that investment is wasted.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Ruckedtobits

Simon Mannix
If I remember at the time he was disliked by a large segment of Munster Supporters who made it known on the forums. The dude got fall guyed a lot. Seemingly his biggest sin at the time was that he wasn't Axel Foley but I doubt he'd want to go back again.