The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Re: The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Post by dropkick »

ChrisUppy wrote:Rob Howley looks like an early frontrunner for the Munster attack job after interviewing: https://www.the42.ie/wales-attack-howle ... 3-May2019/

I'd have suspicions of his calibre to be honest. He'll certainly bring a lot of experience to a coaching ticket lacking in it but I've heard Welsh fans complain about him for years, especially during his poor stint as head coach when Gatland was on Lions duty. Wales also joint lowest try scorers in this years 6 nations despite the slam.

Also Sean O'Brien had this to say about his to say about the Lion's attack under Howley:

“If we had a little more structure during the weeks and more of an attack game plan driven [from] way earlier in the tour we could have won 3-0.”
The British and Irish Lions squad return home

The 30-year-old Ireland international paid particular attention to Howley’s role as attack coach, and claimed that much of the Lions’ success was down to the two midfield options of Johnny Sexton and Owen Farrell, rather than the philosophy that the Wales coach tried to imprint.

“The coaches have a lot to answer for in terms of our attack. Johnny [Sexton] and Faz [Farrell] were the ones running our attack shape,” O’Brien added.

If I was being critical of any coach it would be the fact that Rob [Howley] struggled with the group in terms of trying to get stuff across.

“Johnny and Owen drove everything in the second [Test] week, for instance, in our attack and had a better plan in place. So I don’t know if it was that people were not buying into what he [Howley] was about. That’s the hard thing about a Lions tour as well, getting everyone to listen to a coach that was probably set in his ways.

“Whether I am there or not in four years is a different story. Coaching-wise they need to make sure they have the best coaches in the best positions.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rug ... 58811.html

Wales are good going forward when they're up against some teams. They've a good attacking structure and score plenty of good tries.

I'd say Gatland likes to keep things tight so in that case wouldn't allow free flowing rugby. Against England he talked about keeping it tight and attacking the fringes of the England defence. Because of that I'm sure Welsh fans blame Howley but they also wanted to get rid of Gatland last year and are already complaining about Pivac.

I wouldn't take too much notice of SOB either. That's one man's opinion. I remember how split people were in Munster over Rob Penney. Not many could understand the method behind the madness of locks on the wing.

So I would welcome Howley. He comes with an impressive CV and at worst would be average. Average is a big improvement on the current state of the Munster attack.
If there's an experienced, quality kiwi coming then great!

It's probably for the best that Munsters attack is so currently bad because if it was mediocre then there would be nothing done about it.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by ronk

It’s odd that Wales were good with a very, very stable coaching team but none of the assistants outside Edwards are rated. And they look like they are getting demotions after winning another slam.
That says more about the WRU than the coaches methinks.

Also there is a rumour going around that James Cronin might be retiring at the end of the season due to injury. No idea if it's true or not.
EarthGorilla
Beginner

Post by EarthGorilla »

ronk wrote:It’s odd that Wales were good with a very, very stable coaching team but none of the assistants outside Edwards are rated. And they look like they are getting demotions after winning another slam.
Bear in mind they won the Slam with 0 bonus points. They won the tournament based off great and aggressive defensive play and powerful forward play rather than champagne rugby. Not a criticism of them, but looking at it objectively, hardly a shock that not all the coaches are highly rated,
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Bill Johnson is meant to be leaving Munster for another province. Will be interesting to see if he rocks up at Ulster or Connacht.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

sunshiner1 wrote:Bill Johnson is meant to be leaving Munster for another province. Will be interesting to see if he rocks up at Ulster or Connacht.
So, is it Johnston, Mick Kearney and a NIQ who'll be announced by Connacht this week.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

sunshiner1 wrote:Bill Johnson is meant to be leaving Munster for another province. Will be interesting to see if he rocks up at Ulster or Connacht.
He'll be a loss for Munster, looks to have the makings of a very good outhalf the few times I've seen him play.
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

leinster23 wrote:Munster really aren't very good.
We were pretty good up until the 6N but have fallen away since,
seems to be becoming a pattern.
Benetton were undoubtedly the better side last Saturday.
We won't be winning the Pro14 this year anyway, be nice to
see Ulster win it or failing that, you lot, anyone but Glasgow
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Be shocked if it's Ulster - don't think that I can recall a Munster man ever lining out for Ulster.

Connacht makes huge sense as a landing spot for him. Carty has come on in leaps and bounds since Andy Friend took over, and the second-string outhalf position is up for grabs. Johnston is talented and should be able to make the step up to regular Pro14 rugby. If he moves, good on him for making the decision to kick-start his career.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

cormac wrote:
So, is it Johnston, Mick Kearney and a NIQ who'll be announced by Connacht this week.
Heard rumours of Mick Kearney going to Zebre. Lealiifano being linked with a contract offer from an Irish province.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

hugonaut wrote:
Be shocked if it's Ulster - don't think that I can recall a Munster man ever lining out for Ulster.

Connacht makes huge sense as a landing spot for him. Carty has come on in leaps and bounds since Andy Friend took over, and the second-string outhalf position is up for grabs. Johnston is talented and should be able to make the step up to regular Pro14 rugby. If he moves, good on him for making the decision to kick-start his career.
Ian Nagle!
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

ChrisUppy wrote:
hugonaut wrote:

Ian Nagle!
Plus Dave Ryan. There was another prop as well. Can't remember his name now. Gerry Hurley or something? He had curly reddish hair, and did well at tighthead, I think, for a short while.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

tomthefan wrote:
Is it a lack of adaptability/flexibility in attack? The attack worked really well away to Gloucester, but struggled against Treviso. Maybe it's dependent on what the other team is trying to do in defence. South African attack works against South African defence? - but struggles to adapt otherwise?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

leinsterforever wrote:
tomthefan wrote:
Is it a lack of adaptability/flexibility in attack? The attack worked really well away to Gloucester, but struggled against Treviso. Maybe it's dependent on what the other team is trying to do in defence. South African attack works against South African defence? - but struggles to adapt otherwise?
From memory the Munster pack fairly obliterated Gloucester's pack at Kingsholm.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

cormac wrote:
From memory the Munster pack fairly obliterated Gloucester's pack at Kingsholm.
Yeah. They did. Absolutely manhandled Glos round the park.

The prevailing narrative last year when Racing did that to Munster was that it was Keatley's fault.

When Sarries did it this year it was Felix Jones's fault...
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote:

We need a 3rd outhalf, he's fourth at Munster. International release would be favourable too.

Connacht would make sense too.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Munster have confirmed that Flannery and Jones will leave at the end of the season
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Dave Cahill wrote:Munster have confirmed that Flannery and Jones will leave at the end of the season
They were offered new contracts but both turned them down. Interesting.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

blockhead wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Munster have confirmed that Flannery and Jones will leave at the end of the season
Downgraded roles I think. Felix can't have been happy with them interviewing Rob Howley for his job, particularly as Rob Howley isn't particularly good at what he does!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Flash Gordon wrote:
blockhead wrote:
Downgraded roles I think. Felix can't have been happy with them interviewing Rob Howley for his job, particularly as Rob Howley isn't particularly good at what he does!
I believe that Flannery will be a loss, although I never hear players singing his praises as much as I would expect. He's certainly a good commentator on the game and sees a lot of what going on and is able to summarise it well. For me, he could replace Toland in a heartbeat.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Hes a sound guy is Flannery. When I was in the OLSC we were playing Munster this time and we had a bus of hungry Leinster fans on the way down. Flannery was injured at the time and was in his familys pub doing some work when I arrived in there (I'd gone down the night before). He heard us on the phone and was super helpful in trying to see if they could rustle up food in a short period of time - as it happens they couldn't, but he really did make the effort
I have Bumbleflex