The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Lar
Mullet

Re: The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Post by Lar »

I thought Munster secured the Magners League title for that season in the week or two before the semi-final in 09?
Four Stars
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Lar wrote:I thought Munster secured the Magners League title for that season in the week or two before the semi-final in 09?
Well now.... maybe they did. It was such a long time ago, and a lot of pints have been skulled since then, I honestly can't remember.
Either way, we won, and the Munster support based was halved before the Sun set that day.

BTW, anyone know where I could my hand on a recording of Croke Park 2009.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

blockhead wrote:
Lar wrote:I thought Munster secured the Magners League title for that season in the week or two before the semi-final in 09?
Well now.... maybe they did. It was such a long time ago, and a lot of pints have been skulled since then, I honestly can't remember.
Either way, we won, and the Munster support based was halved before the Sun set that day.

or maybe you're just talking shite? :lol:
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
blockhead wrote:

He's not the only one! (I don't have a glass house btw!) :lol:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

http://www.the42.ie/chris-farrell-injur ... =shortlink

That's a massive blow for them IMO. Opens the door for another centre in the AIs.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

paddyor wrote:http://www.the42.ie/chris-farrell-injur ... =shortlink

That's a massive blow for them IMO. Opens the door for another centre in the AIs.

Tom Farrell hopefully.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
blockhead wrote:

Next time I see you on your bicycle....... :twisted:
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

So unlucky, I didn't rate him until that Wales game, but he was brilliant that day. Hope hes back for the 6Ns.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

dropkick wrote:

Tom Farrell hopefully.
Addison or Farrell, I'd say - although it remains to be seen whether Schmidt sees Arnold at 12 or at 13. My guess would be 12
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Matt Williams is another OTB pundit I have time for but he was talking straight out of his arse yesterday. Glad Keith Wood corrected him. The idea that Munster had never produced a performance like that before is utterly incorrect. He spent far too long trying not to offend anyone, instead of just analyzing the game properly. I know the Red Army like to hammer even their former legends like Donal Lenihan for speaking his mind but there's no point in going on if you're walking on eggshells.

Same host. Same topics. I knew it'd be Jack Carty again for some hyperbole.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

paddyor wrote:
tomthefan wrote:Thanks mildly.
What your figures make stark is how beneficial it is to play almost every game at home.
Everyone knows this already of course, getting a home QF is almost a ticket to the semis. But when your semi in a neutral ground is actually in your home ground also? And then when the final is as well? I seem to remember Munster getting home country advantage against Leinster a couple of times and then playing the match in leinster's home stadium! You couldn't make it up. In fact Munster have never had a home semi final in the hc and yet have still managed to get to 4 finals. How many finals have Leinster gotten to playing away in the semis?
Anyway thanks again for going to all the trouble of looking this up my behalf, fascinating reading.
Well no, in our experience it's 50:50. We've won 2 HEC away SF and 2 at home. You were the home team vs Wasps in 2007 and was it also 2004? And you were the home team vs Leinster in 2009.
Leinster have played in 10 semi finals - 5 home and 5 away and in both cases have won 2 and lost 3. We have never played a HEC Final in the National Rugby Stadium - our finals were won in Scotland, Wales, England and Spain

Munster have played in 13 semi finals - 3 home and 10 away Home = 0 won 3 lost, Away = 4 won 6 lost (Home = v wasps 03/04; v Leinster 08/09; v Saracens 16/17)

Also, just to keep it fair - Ulster have made the semi finals twice (both at 'home') and won both times
Last edited by Xanthippe on September 27th, 2018, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Xanthippe wrote:
paddyor wrote:
tomthefan wrote:Thanks mildly.
What your figures make stark is how beneficial it is to play almost every game at home.
Everyone knows this already of course, getting a home QF is almost a ticket to the semis. But when your semi in a neutral ground is actually in your home ground also? And then when the final is as well? I seem to remember Munster getting home country advantage against Leinster a couple of times and then playing the match in leinster's home stadium! You couldn't make it up. In fact Munster have never had a home semi final in the hc and yet have still managed to get to 4 finals. How many finals have Leinster gotten to playing away in the semis?
Anyway thanks again for going to all the trouble of looking this up my behalf, fascinating reading.
Well no, in our experience it's 50:50. We've won 2 HEC away SF and 2 at home. You were the home team vs Wasps in 2007 and was it also 2004? And you were the home team vs Leinster in 2009.
Leinster have played in 10 semi finals - 5 home and 5 away and in both cases have won 2 and lost 3. We have never played a HEC Final in the National Rugby Stadium - our finals were won in Scotland, Wales, England and France

Munster have played in 13 semi finals - 3 home and 10 away Home = 0 won 3 lost, Away = 4 won 6 lost (Home = v wasps 03/04; v Leinster 08/09; v Saracens 16/17)

Also, just to keep it fair - Ulster have made the semi finals twice (both at 'home') and won both times
Has Bilbao moved?
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Doug Howlett at a recent Munster fundraiser in New York.
“We’re built on home-grown talent, I think we see that with Keith Earls, Peter O’Mahony, Conor Murray, all these types of players that come through into Munster, but also Ireland and then into the Lions and so that’s what’s inspiring our youth at the moment.

ROG at same event.
“When Munster are strong it’s a local team with quality imports so they need to get those structures right.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Hornet wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:We have never played a HEC Final in the National Rugby Stadium - our finals were won in Scotland, Wales, England and France
Has Bilbao moved?
Oops
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

Xanthippe wrote:
Hornet wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:We have never played a HEC Final in the National Rugby Stadium - our finals were won in Scotland, Wales, England and France
Has Bilbao moved?
Oops
You can come back from this Xan!
It won't be easy but one day you may regain some small measure of credibility!
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Mike Haley, Andrew Conway, Joey Carbery, Alby Mathewson, Tadhg Beirne, CJ Stander, Jean Kleyn, Arno Botha, Ian Keatley, Sammy Arnold, Ciaran Parker

PMRM
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Is there a health and safety issue that they don’t open the end terraces in Thomond?
Being serious though it looks a shockingly small crowd
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Alby Mathewson looks like the best passer Joey has ever had inside. He looks a great bit of recruitment for Munster with a fast pass, good choice of options and quick to every breakdown. His shortcomings, whatever they are, may become apparent in weeks to come, when the Munster pack isn't as dominant as tonight. But behind a pack winning ball going forward, he's a big bonus.
Last edited by Ruckedtobits on September 29th, 2018, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

What are the odds they keep Matheson for the season?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

paddyor wrote:What are the odds they keep Matheson for the season?
What are the odds of Murray being injured for the season.
Murray's injury, based on pure speculation could be related to concussion.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.