Trends

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Trends

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I haven't heard the analysis myself but someone on Second Captains mentioned that there was a detailed analysis on the42 about how the need to tackle lower to avoid penalties etc has led to an increase in the number of offloads and that Ireland haven't moved with the times.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thanks, will have a read during the time I'd allocated for the cancelled games :lol:
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

On Monday's OTB they mentioned that Van Graan had picked 6 forwards on the bench last weekend and he said that that's the way the game is going now. Obviously South Africa did it too.

I'm not saying Leinster should do it, but we certainly have the players to give it a go. Imagine adding Baird to whatever forwards we have benching this weekend, there'd be some impact there.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:On Monday's OTB they mentioned that Van Graan had picked 6 forwards on the bench last weekend and he said that that's the way the game is going now. Obviously South Africa did it too.

I'm not saying Leinster should do it, but we certainly have the players to give it a go. Imagine adding Baird to whatever forwards we have benching this weekend, there'd be some impact there.

It's almost a new pack which imo is ridiculous but those are the rules. If you have the quality to take advantage then might as well.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

dropkick wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:On Monday's OTB they mentioned that Van Graan had picked 6 forwards on the bench last weekend and he said that that's the way the game is going now. Obviously South Africa did it too.

It's almost a new pack which imo is ridiculous but those are the rules. If you have the quality to take advantage then might as well.
Suggested it elsewhere but when Leinster are away to Cheetahs and playing at altitude that a 6/2 bench is definitely the way to go.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

If it becomes the norm I can see utility backs becoming very valuable. You need to cover every back position with just two guys. Off the top of my head, Cooney and Ringrose would be a good pairing for such a scenario.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It needs a lot of versatility. A backrow who can cover lock and and some one doubling up as a halfback. And still having cover across the backline.

And having 80 minute locks and halfbacks.

But then yes, you can swap in a full front row and back row during a game.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It looked fine when they had Bleyandaal on the bench and JJ got injured. It would have been awkward for a back 3 player or outside centre.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

ronk wrote:It needs a lot of versatility. A backrow who can cover lock and and some one doubling up as a halfback. And still having cover across the backline.

And having 80 minute locks and halfbacks.
I would say the reasons for doing it would be the exact opposite of that tbh.

You could have one proper second row, one hybrid (Tadhg Beirne, Baird) who you would put in the second or back row depending on how the game is going, and then maybe a 7 or a Deegan type for the last forwards bench spot.

In Leinster's case if we had Larmour at fullback then we could have a bench with a scrumhalf and Frawley and then every position is covered.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Toulouse going with a 6-2 split tonight as well.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Another one I noticed recently is that refs seem to have given up on enforcing the "use it" rule. There have been loads of games where they say it and then just stand there for ages as the scrumhalf waits to organise things.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

It's five seconds after though isn't it? I often notice that and then decide to count and it's never over five when I do.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I think so but I definitely think there's been a change very recently. I reckon the refs were told to be hot on it for the World Cup but don't really care now.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

fourthirtythree wrote:It's five seconds after though isn't it? I often notice that and then decide to count and it's never over five when I do.
I've noticed my own internal count getting to 7-8-9 in recent matches. Very rarely did before this season. I'm possibly just getting better at counting though.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Another one I noticed recently is that refs seem to have given up on enforcing the "use it" rule. There have been loads of games where they say it and then just stand there for ages as the scrumhalf waits to organise things.
That one is a pity
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

What happened to the Law about Catching the ball from a kick and being immediately tackled (i.e not having the opportunity to play the ball). t happened RK on Saturday and he looked bemused when Ref gave scrum to Lyon.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Ruckedtobits wrote:What happened to the Law about Catching the ball from a kick and being immediately tackled (i.e not having the opportunity to play the ball). t happened RK on Saturday and he looked bemused when Ref gave scrum to Lyon.
I noticed that in another game this season (can't remember what game). I thought it was quite a fair rule, and would be surprised if they changed it.
Could it be refs making mistakes?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Rugby, as far as I am aware, is the only sport that is defined, almost, by the fact that the ball must be passed backwards.
The abuse of this definition is ruining the game.
The trend to redefining the forward pass has gone well beyond what is acceptable.
Before long it'll be "well if there was no intention to make a forward" then that's fine.
All in the name of entertainment.
Well it isn't entertaining.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Laighin Break wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:What happened to the Law about Catching the ball from a kick and being immediately tackled (i.e not having the opportunity to play the ball). t happened RK on Saturday and he looked bemused when Ref gave scrum to Lyon.
I noticed that in another game this season (can't remember what game). I thought it was quite a fair rule, and would be surprised if they changed it.
Could it be refs making mistakes?
I noticed that on Sat as well and thought the ref got it wrong.

I think what he might've said was that there was a second or two between when RK caught the ball and when he was caught so it wasn't directly from a catch?