Munster, The Money Pit Province 2019/2020

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

leinsterforever
Mullet

Re: Munster, The Money Pit Province 2019/2020

Post by leinsterforever »

Munster being a bit sh!t at developing regular internationals has its plusses for Leinster. It means more spaces on the national team for Leinster players to potentially grab and then they can get Test level experience and bring that experience to bear in big matches for Leinster. More Leinster players being away with Ireland because Munster don't have as many internationals also means more young guys can get exposure here during international windows.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

munster#1 wrote:
If you are right about this, then the decision makers should be expecting their P45s fairly soon.
When have Munster ever fired (including constructive dismissal) coaches over development? Results? Yes. Backstabbing/accent? Yes.

Also, as previous coaches were neglecting player development were they A: talking about how important it was to them. B: telling the truth, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Sugary tae wrote:Interesting discussion. Just my two cents as a Munster supporter. Firstly I’ve no interest in a parochial interprovincial shitfight. Bores me to tears. They’re all Irish players and the more high quality guys the Irish system produces the better ...
Great post and welcome to the forum.
Sugary tae
Bookworm

Post by Sugary tae »

leinsterforever wrote:Munster being a bit sh!t at developing regular internationals has its plusses for Leinster. It means more spaces on the national team for Leinster players to potentially grab and then they can get Test level experience and bring that experience to bear in big matches for Leinster. More Leinster players being away with Ireland because Munster don't have as many internationals also means more young guys can get exposure here during international windows.
A massive nail on the head there with your last point. Also having guys away with Ireland exposes them to the highest levels of training and the highest standards of play. Lifts all boats.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Sugary tae wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:Munster being a bit sh!t at developing regular internationals has its plusses for Leinster. It means more spaces on the national team for Leinster players to potentially grab and then they can get Test level experience and bring that experience to bear in big matches for Leinster. More Leinster players being away with Ireland because Munster don't have as many internationals also means more young guys can get exposure here during international windows.
A massive nail on the head there with your last point. Also having guys away with Ireland exposes them to the highest levels of training and the highest standards of play. Lifts all boats.
That's why Leinster were able to maintain quality depth in key positions for years. International release really makes a difference if you are able to play it right. It's tricky though, it needs buy in from coaches and players.

It shouldn't be a surprise that Cullen and Lancaster have mastered it; an ex-player who a lot of time in and out of the Irish team and an ex-international coach who brought in the big player management system with England.

The other key pillar is player buy in. It broke down a bit due to the MOC era and it started to break down when the unwritten rule about poaching senior players.

But that's a big reason why some Leinster fans were so opposed to the poaching policy change.
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

ronk wrote: Fixing = improvement

I’m saying that if the schools and underage development programs didn’t do anything differently (consciously) but the academy players start consistently breaking fully in the Munster 1st team, then standards would improve in the schools.
what percentage of coaches in most of the rugby schools in leinster are teachers as I am quite confident its lot lower than most of the schools in Munster.
And Munster cant just focus on schools. The clubs are where Munster can improve and will do far better from. Plenty more Tom ahearn, Jack o Donoghue, etc.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

ormond lad wrote:

I’m saying that if the schools and underage development programs didn’t do anything differently (consciously) but the academy players start consistently breaking fully in the Munster 1st team, then standards would improve in the schools.
what percentage of coaches in most of the rugby schools in leinster are teachers as I am quite confident its lot lower than most of the schools in Munster.
And Munster cant just focus on schools. The clubs are where Munster can improve and will do far better from. Plenty more Tom ahearn, Jack o Donoghue, etc.
Murphy was on a Newstalk podcast last week and gave the details for Newbridge. Off the top of my head I think he listed about 5 or 6 paid non teaching rugby staff with a couple more who were also staff and got an extra stipend.

He also said they were still off the level of a number of schools in Leinster. The Munster schools deliberately don't pay rugby staff according to Quinny on the podcast.

But... I don't think Munster should look to copy the Leinster system. That has been developed for the particular setup in Leinster. There is a very different dynamic and balance between province, schools and clubs in Munster. The academy and junior development needs to be aligned to that.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

The Doc wrote:
ormond lad wrote:

Murphy was on a Newstalk podcast last week and gave the details for Newbridge. Off the top of my head I think he listed about 5 or 6 paid non teaching rugby staff with a couple more who were also staff and got an extra stipend.

He also said they were still off the level of a number of schools in Leinster. The Munster schools deliberately don't pay rugby staff according to Quinny on the podcast.

But... I don't think Munster should look to copy the Leinster system. That has been developed for the particular setup in Leinster. There is a very different dynamic and balance between province, schools and clubs in Munster. The academy and junior development needs to be aligned to that.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Don’t mind Quinny, he knows f%~k all
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Great weekend for fans of Munster.
A great weekend’s entertainment for anyone of the Munster faith!
THURSDAY- VIRGIN MEDIA TWO
20:00 Fans’ Choice - 2006 Semi final win over Leinster
FRIDAY- VIRGIN MEDIA SPORT
20:00 Munster v Gloucester, 2003 (The “Miracle Match”)
SATURDAY- VIRGIN MEDIA SPORT
19:00 Munster v Leinster – 2006 HCC Semi Final
21:00 Munster v Biarritz – 2006 HCC Final​
SUNDAY- VIRGIN MEDIA SPORT
19:00 Munster v Toulouse – 2008 HCC Final
For those watching in Black and White, Munster are wearing red.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

blockhead wrote:Great weekend for fans of Munster.
No need to watch Virgin Media Sport this weekend then.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

blockhead wrote:Great weekend for fans of Munster.
Back to the past.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Airing the semi final from 2006 twice :lol:

Nothing from the last decade either
Anyone But New Zealand
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

The new Munster CEO Ian Flanagan was commercial director for Leicster City from second division to Prem league title.. a competent guy from a cursory glance of his Linkedin...
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Ciaran Parker and Sean O Connor have signed for Jersey reds.
Good to see them continue in professional rugby.

Given their ages we may well see them back playing for one one of the provinces in the future
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

munster#1 wrote:Ciaran Parker and Sean O Connor have signed for Jersey reds.

Given their ages we may well see them back playing for one one of the provinces in the future
I've seen O'Connor play live a couple of times, and he's a good player. Particularly good lineout player, but just a good all rounder. Not sure if Connacht were in the market for him, but they were certainly in the market for that sort of player – they contracted a similar one in Oisin Dowling.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

hugonaut wrote:
munster#1 wrote:Ciaran Parker and Sean O Connor have signed for Jersey reds.

I've seen O'Connor play live a couple of times, and he's a good player. Particularly good lineout player, but just a good all rounder. Not sure if Connacht were in the market for him, but they were certainly in the market for that sort of player – they contracted a similar one in Oisin Dowling.
I actually thought that O Connor would have come good at Munster, and is probably unfortunate that there are plenty of options coming through or already established.

I do hope, like with any player who doesn’t make it at the first attempt, that we see him in a Munster Jersey again.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Like most, I have too much time on my hands right now, and have been thinking about how teams will operate going forward.
Munster are probably fortunate to have a relatively large stadium, with the ability to add more seating.

Operating at 50% you are looking at 13k fans, which for most Pro14 games is not far off the average attendance anyway.

Munster were in advanced talks to move games to Pairc Ui Choimh, so they could feasibly move the home HC games there along with the Leinster and Ulster games.
Again, operating at 50% we would have over 22k, meaning that the number of tickets sold would largely be unaffected.
Granted there will be loss of revenue with regards to concessions, and there will be the cost of rent to consider, but would be interesting to see the numbers
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

munster#1 wrote:Like most, I have too much time on my hands right now, and have been thinking about how teams will operate going forward.
Munster are probably fortunate to have a relatively large stadium, with the ability to add more seating.

Operating at 50% you are looking at 13k fans, which for most Pro14 games is not far off the average attendance anyway.

Munster were in advanced talks to move games to Pairc Ui Choimh, so they could feasibly move the home HC games there along with the Leinster and Ulster games.
Again, operating at 50% we would have over 22k, meaning that the number of tickets sold would largely be unaffected.
Granted there will be loss of revenue with regards to concessions, and there will be the cost of rent to consider, but would be interesting to see the numbers
Very good fit to look to Pairc Ui Chaoimh. Cork is underserved in terms of games compared to Limerick, and the new stadium would be a big draw in itself. I think the South Stand in particular looks great. The novelty value of Munster playing a European Cup fixture in Cork after 10+ years would be a big draw. Also, the stadium ran badly over budget, so the GAA would be keen to rent it out during winter and get some money in.

Difficult to know how it would play in the IRFU. I've also heard [anecdotally] that the Cork County Board are very anti-rugby, but maybe that is a thing of the past.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

hugonaut wrote:
munster#1 wrote:Like most, I have too much time on my hands right now, and have been thinking about how teams will operate going forward.

Very good fit to look to Pairc Ui Chaoimh. Cork is underserved in terms of games compared to Limerick, and the new stadium would be a big draw in itself. I think the South Stand in particular looks great. The novelty value of Munster playing a European Cup fixture in Cork after 10+ years would be a big draw. Also, the stadium ran badly over budget, so the GAA would be keen to rent it out during winter and get some money in.

Difficult to know how it would play in the IRFU. I've also heard [anecdotally] that the Cork County Board are very anti-rugby, but maybe that is a thing of the past.
Yes, it would definitely make sense, both in terms of being able to fit in as many fans as possible, and to drum up additional support in Cork.

The cost of the rent would be the deciding factor. With a reduced capacity it might not be financially viable
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by hugonaut

I've also heard [anecdotally] that the Cork County Board are very anti-rugby, but maybe that is a thing of the past.
Definitely not a thing of the past.