Munster, The Money Pit Province 2019/2020

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Munster, The Money Pit Province 2019/2020

Post by Keith »

sunshiner1 wrote:
by hugonaut

I've also heard [anecdotally] that the Cork County Board are very anti-rugby, but maybe that is a thing of the past.
Definitely not a thing of the past.
Lets face it any GAA board would jump at the chance to earn a few more quid.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

If it is a case that the cork county board say no, it’s not like there are no other options.
Limerick’s Gaelic Grounds is only a few hundred metres from TP and has a similar capacity to PUC.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

Good to see that even after nearly 20 years the Cork County Board are still finding new and innovative ways to make sh*t of things :lol: :lol:
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Fairly sure that talks were advanced, so it may well be a runner.
Would be great to turn this negative into a positive, and move games around the province.

Would be great to see the Leinster game in Fitzgerald stadium in Killarney, and the home HC games spread between PUC, thurles and The Gaelic grounds.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by munster#1
Would be great to turn this negative into a positive, and move games around the province.

Would be great to see the Leinster game in Fitzgerald stadium in Killarney, and the home HC games spread between PUC, thurles and The Gaelic grounds.
Would love to have it to happen but the folks I know who are involved in Cork GAA (and want this to happen) tell me that there is a sizeable group who would rather cut their own faces off then let Rugby be played there. I sincerely hope the pragmatics win but I'm doubtful. Really hope I'm wrong though.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

sunshiner1 wrote:
by munster#1

Would love to have it to happen but the folks I know who are involved in Cork GAA (and want this to happen) tell me that there is a sizeable group who would rather cut their own faces off then let Rugby be played there. I sincerely hope the pragmatics win but I'm doubtful. Really hope I'm wrong though.
Would be great for all parties. Would be a massive boost for the pockets of the Cork county board who are no doubt under pressure to justify the spend on the stadium and It would allow the people of Cork to witness European rugby on the back yard.

Flip side of this is that it has to be financially viable. I believe that the Cork county board wanted around €300k per game. That would negate the benefit of the bigger stadium, unless you charge in the region of an average of €50 a ticket.

Anyone know how much Leinster pay for the use of the Aviva, and how much the buy out would be to move additional games from the RDS?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

munster#1 wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:
by munster#1

Would be great for all parties. Would be a massive boost for the pockets of the Cork county board who are no doubt under pressure to justify the spend on the stadium and It would allow the people of Cork to witness European rugby on the back yard.

Flip side of this is that it has to be financially viable. I believe that the Cork county board wanted around €300k per game. That would negate the benefit of the bigger stadium, unless you charge in the region of an average of €50 a ticket.

Anyone know how much Leinster pay for the use of the Aviva, and how much the buy out would be to move additional games from the RDS?
Try €400k for a fully serviced and "dressed" Aviva with security also provided. That's always been the cost and it may now be extended because of enhanced Health & Safety post Covid-19.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

munster#1 wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:
by munster#1

Try €400k for a fully serviced and "dressed" Aviva with security also provided. That's always been the cost and it may now be extended because of enhanced Health & Safety post Covid-19.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

So essentially Leinster would be in the same boat as Munster, where it may not even be an option to move to a bigger stadium due to financial constraints.
I presume that Leinster would have an additional impact of having to pay the RDS compensation for moving additional games?
Would be interesting to see what that figure would be.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

munster#1 wrote:So essentially Leinster would be in the same boat as Munster, where it may not even be an option to move to a bigger stadium due to financial constraints.
I presume that Leinster would have an additional impact of having to pay the RDS compensation for moving additional games?
Doubtful, they could give them the JCT Final or Towns Cup Final or an SCT S/F, anyone of which would be comparable to a 'normal' Pro14 game.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
munster#1 wrote:So essentially Leinster would be in the same boat as Munster, where it may not even be an option to move to a bigger stadium due to financial constraints.
Doubtful, they could give them the JCT Final or Towns Cup Final or an SCT S/F, anyone of which would be comparable to a 'normal' Pro14 game.
Really? I haven’t seen the agreement so had just assumed that it had to be Leinster playing there.

Odd that this hasn’t happened before.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

There would have been no reason to consider moving to Aviva for 20k fans. The costing may well be much lower than normal.

I don’t think we’ll see heavy demand though. A lot of people will be staying at home.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

ronk wrote:There would have been no reason to consider moving to Aviva for 20k fans. The costing may well be much lower than normal.

I don’t think we’ll see heavy demand though. A lot of people will be staying at home.
We need 33 - 35k crowd to justify going to Aviva. When (if) RDS gets new Stand and we renegotiate the commercial aspects of venue, including Corporate Boxes and all 3rd Party franchises, the number will go to about 42k. Going to Aviva is giving your lunch away, unless it's for Munster or Ulster games. No other Pro14 team travels in fan numbers and for EPCR games you have to give opponents a straight 25% of gate - less nominal exs (not including ground hire).

Leinster have smart money management but IRFU / AVIVA treat them like sh!t, so I am certainly satisfied to stay in RDS with 18.5k and play in front of a passionate knowledgible crowd who spent all match going back & forth to the bar.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
ronk wrote:There would have been no reason to consider moving to Aviva for 20k fans. The costing may well be much lower than normal.

We need 33 - 35k crowd to justify going to Aviva. When (if) RDS gets new Stand and we renegotiate the commercial aspects of venue, including Corporate Boxes and all 3rd Party franchises, the number will go to about 42k. Going to Aviva is giving your lunch away, unless it's for Munster or Ulster games. No other Pro14 team travels in fan numbers and for EPCR games you have to give opponents a straight 25% of gate - less nominal exs (not including ground hire).

Leinster have smart money management but IRFU / AVIVA treat them like sh!t, so I am certainly satisfied to stay in RDS with 18.5k and play in front of a passionate knowledgible crowd who spent all match going back & forth to the bar.
Just looking at some of your recent fixtures, and last season you played Ulster, Wasps and Toulouse in the RDS, that is why I assumed that you weren’t allowed to move such games.
I hadn’t realised that it was decided that you wouldn’t be able to draw a big crowd for these games.

I would have assumed, wrongly based on your feedback, that those games would be close to a sell out in the Aviva.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

munster#1 wrote:
Just looking at some of your recent fixtures, and last season you played Ulster, Wasps and Toulouse in the RDS, that is why I assumed that you weren’t allowed to move such games.
I hadn’t realised that it was decided that you wouldn’t be able to draw a big crowd for these games.

I would have assumed, wrongly based on your feedback, that those games would be close to a sell out in the Aviva.
I'm sure someone will correct my numbers (given my recent comments)... Leinster are obliged to play all but 2 regular season games in the RDS . They therefore can play one European and usually the Munster game in the aviva. And that only came about because of the increase in the league if I remember correctly

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

The Doc wrote:
munster#1 wrote:

I'm sure someone will correct my numbers (given my recent comments)... Leinster are obliged to play all but 2 regular season games in the RDS . They therefore can play one European and usually the Munster game in the aviva. And that only came about because of the increase in the league if I remember correctly

That was my thinking also, but from others comments, it appears that they could swap games with other games based on attendances??
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

They probably could if they wanted to. But the lease obligations plus the 400k for the Aviva make it unprofitable. I suppose we never needed to as well. Solid off the pitch and successful on it. .
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

paddyor wrote:They probably could if they wanted to. But the lease obligations plus the 400k for the Aviva make it unprofitable. I suppose we never needed to as well. Solid off the pitch and successful on it. .
What are the lease obligations?
Another poster stated that Leinster would merely have to move a schools game to the RDS as a substitute?
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

munster#1 wrote:
paddyor wrote:They probably could if they wanted to. But the lease obligations plus the 400k for the Aviva make it unprofitable. I suppose we never needed to as well. Solid off the pitch and successful on it. .
Another poster stated that Leinster would merely have to move a schools game to the RDS as a substitute?
That isn't accurate as far as I know. Maybe the suggestion was that something could be negotiated given the extraordinary circumstances.

In the normal course of events, Leinster rugby have to play a minimum of (I think) 12 pro games in the RDS. It is Leinster's choice which games they move.

I might be out by 1 in that number... Might be 11. But it is Leinster Rugby games. Not Leinster Branch domestic games.

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

munster#1 wrote:
I don't know exactly but I'll take a stab at it. There's the basic rent which has to be paid anyway. Then there's the insurance rent which you might get a reduction on but you might not. Then there might be other elements of a service charge like water, rates, or waste disposal. On the latter you might get a reduction in general but any fixed element will be distributed across fewer games. Last there's the concessions which AFAIK Leinster get none of that so they'd have to be compensated.

I've no idea about the last part. It seems like the kind of idea that would land you in court.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles