Munster, The Money Pit Province 2019/2020

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Munster, The Money Pit Province 2019/2020

Post by ronk »

The Doc wrote:
munster#1 wrote:
Just looking at some of your recent fixtures, and last season you played Ulster, Wasps and Toulouse in the RDS, that is why I assumed that you weren’t allowed to move such games.
I hadn’t realised that it was decided that you wouldn’t be able to draw a big crowd for these games.

I would have assumed, wrongly based on your feedback, that those games would be close to a sell out in the Aviva.
I'm sure someone will correct my numbers (given my recent comments)... Leinster are obliged to play all but 2 regular season games in the RDS . They therefore can play one European and usually the Munster game in the aviva. And that only came about because of the increase in the league if I remember correctly

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
We can have 2 games due to the RDS agreement. Some years we could have 3 (non knockouts) games in Aviva. We can fill it but it takes a bit of work and extra games have diminishing returns.

One reason is that some fans only are interested in a few games a season. If they can go to the big games in Aviva they will. Some of them would have stayed home if they couldn’t get tickets and some would go to other fixtures. i.e. more games in Aviva will lower slightly the attendance in the RDS the effect is positive overall. It’s the same with touring internationals at Thomond, some of the buzz comes from other fixtures. But hyping the 4 big games hurts the 9 other games and you really want fans at those games.

Reducing the number of games in the RDS makes it less sustainable. We lost a game every 2 years when the South African teams joined but it has been more than offset with the number of home Pro14 semi finals.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

The Doc wrote:
munster#1 wrote:
Just looking at some of your recent fixtures, and last season you played Ulster, Wasps and Toulouse in the RDS, that is why I assumed that you weren’t allowed to move such games.
I hadn’t realised that it was decided that you wouldn’t be able to draw a big crowd for these games.

I would have assumed, wrongly based on your feedback, that those games would be close to a sell out in the Aviva.
I'm sure someone will correct my numbers (given my recent comments)... Leinster are obliged to play all but 2 regular season games in the RDS . They therefore can play one European and usually the Munster game in the aviva. And that only came about because of the increase in the league if I remember correctly

We can have 2 games due to the RDS agreement. Some years we could have 3 (non knockouts) games in Aviva. We can fill it but it takes a bit of work and extra games have diminishing returns.

One reason is that some fans only are interested in a few games a season. If they can go to the big games in Aviva they will. Some of them would have stayed home if they couldn’t get tickets and some would go to other fixtures. i.e. more games in Aviva will lower slightly the attendance in the RDS the effect is positive overall. It’s the same with touring internationals at Thomond, some of the buzz comes from other fixtures. But hyping the 4 big games hurts the 9 other games and you really want fans at those games.

Reducing the number of games in the RDS makes it less sustainable. We lost a game every 2 years when the South African teams joined but it has been more than offset with the number of home Pro14 semi finals.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

The Doc wrote:
munster#1 wrote:

Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

paddyor wrote:They probably could if they wanted to. But the lease obligations plus the 400k for the Aviva make it unprofitable. I suppose we never needed to as well. Solid off the pitch and successful on it. .
Munster can only dream! :clap: :clap: :clap:
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

There is also the factor of leinster Aviva days out competing with Ireland Aviva days out. The IRFU would appear to see that the more leinster have a day out in the Aviva especially around the same time, they will see a dip in attendence for the international. And seeing as the internationals are priced higher and fund everything else, they want to protect that.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Up Wexford wrote:
paddyor wrote:They probably could if they wanted to. But the lease obligations plus the 400k for the Aviva make it unprofitable. I suppose we never needed to as well. Solid off the pitch and successful on it. .
The wheel always turns.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

So all in all, it would appear that Leinster moving to the Aviva in the short term to increase attendances would be a non runner.

Hopefully Munster can manage some sort of an agreement with the GAA to allow them to use one of the options within the province, but like with Leinster and the Aviva, this may be a non runner.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

munster#1 wrote:
Up Wexford wrote:
The wheel always turns.
Hahha and I'd respect nothing but the same jibes back from ye when it does!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Up Wexford wrote:
munster#1 wrote:
Up Wexford wrote:
The wheel always turns.
Hahha and I'd respect nothing but the same jibes back from ye when it does!
Ah no, that wouldn’t be nice.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

James Coughlan on his way to Brive as defence coach.
Delighted for him, and hope he does well and continues to improve his career as a coach.

He was a great player for Munster, and largely underrated outside of the province.
A real Cinderella story, playing in the AIL before being given a trial with Munster at 26 making 137 appearances (13 tries) for Munster and a further 69 (8 tries) for Pau.

Makes you wonder how many more James Coughlans there are, who develop late, but are never given the chance.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

To be fair he was a solid pro but I don't think he was underrated outside of the province. I think most people rated him pretty accurately but all ratings are subjective I guess. Do I think he should have got 50 Irish caps? No. Did he deserve his 137 Munster ones? Yes.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
RobbieRockBoy
Enlightened

Post by RobbieRockBoy »

The Doc wrote:
munster#1 wrote:

Correct, Leinster agreed deal with RDS when it was Pro12, all games, Pro 12 & 3 HEC to played in RDS, addition of 2 Italian teams allowed Leinster to pick & choose which 2 games could be moved to Aviva, normally Munster home plus 1 HEC pool game. HEC & Pro12/14 QF/SF games are also extra (depends on qualification) and Leinster can pick & choose venue, depending on opponent etc. (HEC SF venue under EPRC decision)
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

munster#1 wrote:James Coughlan on his way to Brive as defence coach.
Delighted for him, and hope he does well and continues to improve his career as a coach.

He was a great player for Munster, and largely underrated outside of the province.
A real Cinderella story, playing in the AIL before being given a trial with Munster at 26 making 137 appearances (13 tries) for Munster and a further 69 (8 tries) for Pau.

Makes you wonder how many more James Coughlans there are, who develop late, but are never given the chance.
its really munsters fault if they aren't given the chance, signing saffers, english IQ'd players and lads from leinster instead.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

mildlyinterested wrote:

its really munsters fault if they aren't given the chance, signing saffers, english IQ'd players and lads from leinster instead.
Ha ha. There’s always one.

Disregard the achievement of an Irish coach and concentrate on having a pop at Munster.

Do you believe that only players from Munster would develop late?
Your comment would suggest yes.
Do you see a biological difference between Munster folk and the rest of the country??
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

RobbieRockBoy wrote:
The Doc wrote:
munster#1 wrote:

Correct, Leinster agreed deal with RDS when it was Pro12, all games, Pro 12 & 3 HEC to played in RDS, addition of 2 Italian teams allowed Leinster to pick & choose which 2 games could be moved to Aviva, normally Munster home plus 1 HEC pool game. HEC & Pro12/14 QF/SF games are also extra (depends on qualification) and Leinster can pick & choose venue, depending on opponent etc. (HEC SF venue under EPRC decision)
That was my original thinking on it, but ruckedtobits comments stating that they could swap games with schools games with similar attendances threw me a bit.

Bit of a side topic, but will there be a change to the contractual obligations when the RDS is redeveloped?
With the RDS try to increase the number of games there to justify the expenditure?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

munster#1 wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:

Ha ha. There’s always one.

Disregard the achievement of an Irish coach and concentrate on having a pop at Munster.

Do you believe that only players from Munster would develop late?
Your comment would suggest yes.
Do you see a biological difference between Munster folk and the rest of the country??
I thought munster's strength came from the AIL? thats the legend anyway.

now it comes largely from south africa.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

mildlyinterested wrote: I thought munster's strength came from the AIL? thats the legend anyway.

Ha ha, you are a gas man.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

munster#1 wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote: I thought munster's strength came from the AIL? thats the legend anyway.

You brought it up and he agreed with the substance of your post.

He didn’t even disregard the achievement of an Irish coach. You just made that accusation up.

Coughlan was missed because he played for the wrong club. And that is on Munster’s scouting ultimately
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Jean Kleyn, RG Snyman, CJ Stander, Damien De Allende.. without them where would munster be going into the game in August?

The province has relied utterly on Stander for ball carrying for over half a decade and Kleyn for power at lock. Now calling on two world cup winners to further prop up the province in an effort to remain competitive, along of course with recruits from Leinster(Beirne/Carbery) and England(Haley/Gallagher).

And that doesn't even address the disaster of abandoning developing homegrown tightheads in favour of a south african schoolboy and hawaii poached from the leinster academy.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

munster#1 wrote:

...and brutally accurate!