Munster, The Money Pit Province 2019/2020

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

desperado
Mullet

Re: Munster, The Money Pit Province 2019/2020

Post by desperado »

FLIP wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:They need to change the law about scoring against the base of the post to remove it as a scoring option. It was fine back when Fat VIcky was on the throne and it was a couple of towels strapped around the posts with belts - but with the massive advertising hoardings on steroids that they are now the law has been rendered both obsolete and ridiculous.
Strongly disagree. I've seen people knocked out even on modern post protectors. Removing the law around scoring at the base will encourage players to drive hard into them, which will have tragic consequences.
Just make it that you can't score against the posts. It's currently nigh impossible to defend legally. If you can't score against the base of the post; why would that encourage players to drive hard into them?
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

desperado wrote:
Just make it that you can't score against the posts. It's currently nigh impossible to defend legally. If you can't score against the base of the post; why would that encourage players to drive hard into them?
To get beyond them to score.
Anyone But New Zealand
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

FLIP wrote:
desperado wrote:
To get beyond them to score.
They had the solution years ago but they have moved away from it in the era of TV officials:

Stop the game and award a scrum if a dangerous position is reached during a game. In open play the pads are useful as is the ability to score against the base if you end up there. A driven mass of players is different. If the ref stopped play when phases were being driven to the posts then attacking teams would stop and it would go back out of the game.

Or do the American Football thing and move the posts back off the line.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Didn't see the game live, just the TG4 highlights, and was impressed with many of the Munster performances. Certainly, you'd like to get a result, particularly having fought back to get 6 pts ahead. But lots of good rugby and plenty for Rowntree, Larkham and Van Graan to work on. Ball security must become a big workon, dropped or turned over far too many.

But plenty of talent who just need game time to determine what is their ceiling.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

POM at 7 and Beirne at 6 tomorrow, could be interesting from an Ireland POV.

No Farrell, Kruis, George, or Vunipola brothers for Saracens.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Saracens really ditching their defence of the HCC leaving out that 5 for a big away game. They were right back in the mix for the group with the draw between R92 and Muster two weeks ago. But whilst they have some strenghth in depth in some positions its hard to see them knocking Munster back with that team selection. Understandable given the points deduction I guess. Avoiding relegation is the priority, although I think they will achieve that easily enough.
Four Stars
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Lar wrote:Saracens really ditching their defence of the HCC leaving out that 5 for a big away game. They were right back in the mix for the group with the draw between R92 and Muster two weeks ago. But whilst they have some strenghth in depth in some positions its hard to see them knocking Munster back with that team selection. Understandable given the points deduction I guess. Avoiding relegation is the priority, although I think they will achieve that easily enough.
But if they get a LBP and win their home games and beat Ospreys away with a few BPs in there they'll probably qualify.

Given the English players have very limited game time I think it's a fair enough decision.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

This is a potential banana skin for Munster.
Is the "vaunted" Saracens academy as good as we keep hearing?
Are Munster any better this season than last, a "yes" isn't exactly jumping out?
Racing beat Saracens easily enough in France.
Then they got a well deserved draw in Thomond, they probably should have won the game tbh.
All of the above suggests that Munster could be vulnerable if the Saracens second string pack can get enough possession for their "fairly useful" backs.
It's worth noting too that Saracens, without their English players, still managed to win 4 from 5 in the PRL.
Munster to win if Billy Vunipola doesn't play. :wink:
They probably need a TBP too if they are going to qualify for the QFs, already likely to be an away game if it comes to pass.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Oldschool wrote:This is a potential banana skin for Munster.
Is the "vaunted" Saracens academy as good as we keep hearing?
Are Munster any better this season than last, a "yes" isn't exactly jumping out?.

A yes isn't jumping out but there's been a clear change of style of play. Larkham has made a big difference so far. He has changed how the players attack. They're still getting used to it and it usually takes 2 to 3 years for everyone to become comfortable.

So while Munster are not clearly better than last season, I think we are now developing a cutting edge that will be dangerous for any defence. The Munster of previous years were far too easy to figure out and overachieved in getting to so many semi finals.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

dropkick wrote:The Munster of previous years were far too easy to figure out and overachieved in getting to so many semi finals.

I disagree. The Munster of previous years came up against better packs. The pack couldn't win any ball or hold their set piece against Racing and Saracens. Throwing Keatley under the bus predictably didn't fix that (though it did hurt both Leinster and Ireland) and doing the same with Jones won't either. Maybe an influx of saffa beef might.

Leinster didn't lose last year to Saracens because we couldn't attack either.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

fourthirtythree wrote:
dropkick wrote:The Munster of previous years were far too easy to figure out and overachieved in getting to so many semi finals.

I disagree. The Munster of previous years came up against better packs. The pack couldn't win any ball or hold their set piece against Racing and Saracens. Throwing Keatley under the bus predictably didn't fix that (though it did hurt both Leinster and Ireland) and doing the same with Jones won't either. Maybe an influx of saffa beef might.

Leinster didn't lose last year to Saracens because we couldn't attack either.

That's my point. Munster had a very basic game that ment the forwards had to grind out wins. When coming up against bigger packs they got exposed. That's why Felix Jones was demoted and Larkham brought in.

Leinster s attack was poor against Saracens. Lots of one out runners and constantly getting smashed behind the mainline. A few tries were butchered while Saracens took their chance.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Look: just stuff Sarries today okay? I don't care how you do it, just do it!

No losing bonus point for them.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

I think salarycens reckon they will pick up a BP win next week and roll on to a pool decider against Paris at home. Still stinks that they still have the same squad as when they were cheating but hey ho. Hope munster win tonight.

Anyone got a link to watch it? In Switzerland and dazn.com aren't showing it.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

fourthirtythree wrote:Look: just stuff Sarries today okay? I don't care how you do it, just do it!

Hard not to watch this and be bitter about how the squad has been assembled and how deluded the fans are, but still I hope they stuff Saracens too.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:Look: just stuff Sarries today okay? I don't care how you do it, just do it!

Hard not to watch this and be bitter about how the squad has been assembled and how deluded the fans are, but still I hope they stuff Saracens too.
:clap:
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Sorry lads anyone got a streaming link?
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

DM sent Myles.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Larkham is great to listen to. I usually hate in game interviews but he's excellent.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Pretty poor stuff from Munster. Sarries as usual are well drilled but lacking the normal bite and attacking quality.

Munster making very heavy work of things and getting caught well behind the gainline a lot.

Can't see Sarries winning but with a big wind in the second half it will be tough for Munster to get four tries.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

f%~k me what a poor second half.

Sarries will be happy with that imo. Go full strength next weekend and see if they can get 5.