London Double Header

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

claire_m
Shane Jennings

London Double Header

Post by claire_m »

For those of you this side of the lake, the London Double Header's taking place on Saturday, at Twickenham Stadium. (tickets can be bought on the door, for about £30. I don't actually know the cost, I think mine's a freeby!)

The first game kicks off at 2pm, and features London Irish v Harlequins.

Then it's off to the Stoop, to enjoy some post-match hospitality and revelry. (I shall of course be abstaining, and hopefully they've sorted out some decent cider this year, and none of that yucky strongbow stuff)

For those of you who want to get your money's worth, the 2nd game kicks off at 4.20pm, and features Saracens v Wasps. (I won't call them London Wasps, they're not a London club.)

I'll be down if anyone wants to come along and say hello. I'll be the frustrated sober one!
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

I'm really looking forward to seeing quins back this year. I think its better for rugby to have a club of its stature back in the big leagues. Also, really looking forward to seeing a bit of Andrew Merthans. One of my favourite players.

On an aside, has anyone seen the new SKY ad for the new GP Season. Thats the kind of ad the ML needs to enhance its rep
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
mikerob
Mullet

Post by mikerob »

I went to the double header for the last 2 years but won't be going this year - I don't want to give London Irish any of my money as we're playing them in the HEC :wink:

fyi There is a group of Ulster fans in London that have been getting together to watch games - the venue for the Llanelli game on Saturday is the Famous 3 Kings in West Kensington. We've been unable to find a permanent home yet as pubs like the F3K show some games but don't have Setanta Ireland while others that have Setanta Ireland don't want to show rugby on a Friday or Saturday evening. I'd be interested if there are any other suggestions for venues.

If anyone is interested, we should arrange a London get together to watch the Ulster - Leinster game later in the season.
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

mikerob wrote:I went to the double header for the last 2 years but won't be going this year - I don't want to give London Irish any of my money as we're playing them in the HEC :wink:

fyi There is a group of Ulster fans in London that have been getting together to watch games - the venue for the Llanelli game on Saturday is the Famous 3 Kings in West Kensington. We've been unable to find a permanent home yet as pubs like the F3K show some games but don't have Setanta Ireland while others that have Setanta Ireland don't want to show rugby on a Friday or Saturday evening. I'd be interested if there are any other suggestions for venues.

If anyone is interested, we should arrange a London get together to watch the Ulster - Leinster game later in the season.
I went 2 years ago, but didn't go last year, I think I worked it instead. What time are you meeting up for the game on Saturday, as I doubt I'll be watching the pests play, and I might feel like a change of scenary.

I also don't think I'll be at the Ulster game (either, actually), so I'd be up for meeting up.

Molly Malone's in Richmond is pretty good with showing the rugby on a weekend (I saw the Edinburgh v Leinster game there last season), and there's a pub (can't remember what it's called) in Wandsworth that's an Irish pub, and has Setanta, and may well show the games too. I think if you ring in advance, the pubs I've been to have been pretty good. I think I saw a Leinster game in Fulham last season, but I can't remember where.
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Re: London Double Header

Post by Duke Raoul »

claire_m wrote:For those of you this side of the lake, the London Double Header's taking place on Saturday, at Twickenham Stadium. (tickets can be bought on the door, for about £30. I don't actually know the cost, I think mine's a freeby!)

Then it's off to the Stoop, to enjoy some post-match hospitality and revelry. (I shall of course be abstaining, and hopefully they've sorted out some decent cider this year, and none of that yucky strongbow stuff)

For those of you who want to get your money's worth, the 2nd game kicks off at 4.20pm, and features Saracens v Wasps. (I won't call them London Wasps, they're not a London club.)

I'll be down if anyone wants to come along and say hello. I'll be the frustrated sober one!
You should have mentioned that last Friday Claire. :wink:

1,000 posts. Well played. :clap:
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

claire_m
Shane Jennings

Re: London Double Header

Post by claire_m »

Duke Raoul wrote:
claire_m wrote:For those of you this side of the lake, the London Double Header's taking place on Saturday, at Twickenham Stadium. (tickets can be bought on the door, for about £30. I don't actually know the cost, I think mine's a freeby!)

You should have mentioned that last Friday Claire. :wink:

1,000 posts. Well played. :clap:
Not sure if I should be proud? :?

I don't think I was so much frustrated last Friday, as just exhausted. But I'm on much better form now, you'll all be glad to know!
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Darce wrote:I'm really looking forward to seeing quins back this year. I think its better for rugby to have a club of its stature back in the big leagues. Also, really looking forward to seeing a bit of Andrew Merthans. One of my favourite players.

On an aside, has anyone seen the new SKY ad for the new GP Season. Thats the kind of ad the ML needs to enhance its rep
I fear the 20 minute boys will suffer this season. Many pundits are tipping them to go straight back down. Would be a shame, great fans and the best shirt in the Guinness Premiership.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
mikerob
Mullet

Post by mikerob »

claire_m wrote:
mikerob wrote:I went to the double header for the last 2 years but won't be going this year - I don't want to give London Irish any of my money as we're playing them in the HEC :wink:

I went 2 years ago, but didn't go last year, I think I worked it instead. What time are you meeting up for the game on Saturday, as I doubt I'll be watching the pests play, and I might feel like a change of scenary.

I also don't think I'll be at the Ulster game (either, actually), so I'd be up for meeting up.

Molly Malone's in Richmond is pretty good with showing the rugby on a weekend (I saw the Edinburgh v Leinster game there last season), and there's a pub (can't remember what it's called) in Wandsworth that's an Irish pub, and has Setanta, and may well show the games too. I think if you ring in advance, the pubs I've been to have been pretty good. I think I saw a Leinster game in Fulham last season, but I can't remember where.
Game kicks off at 7:30pm so I think people will be meeting for then. I don't know what the turnout will be - we only got a handful at the start of last season but 20-30 for the crunch games at the end.

I know Molly Malones and it is a good pub but its in zone 4 so a bit far for people on the other side of London.

Fulham pub could have been Brogans as I've watched games there but its just down the road from Stamford Bridge so you wouldn't want to be there when Chelsea are playing at home... :wink:
JoseFantastique
Mullet

Post by JoseFantastique »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Darce wrote:I'm really looking forward to seeing quins back this year. I think its better for rugby to have a club of its stature back in the big leagues. Also, really looking forward to seeing a bit of Andrew Merthans. One of my favourite players.

I fear the 20 minute boys will suffer this season. Many pundits are tipping them to go straight back down. Would be a shame, great fans and the best shirt in the Guinness Premiership.
I must admit my small and petty nature would love to see a Wasps team containing Bracken and Staunton beat a Harlequins team, just for kicks like.
It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

JoseFantastique wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:

I must admit my small and petty nature would love to see a Wasps team containing Bracken and Staunton beat a Harlequins team, just for kicks like.
I'd be more than surprised (as would about 12,000 other people) if Staunton made any. At least any that were successful.

And Flash, wash your mouth out with soapy water. Quins are NOT going to get relegated this year, or any other year, ever again.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

JoseFantastique wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:

Agree, Wasps would be my second favourite team in the GP after Irish.

By the way Jose, WTF is going on with Munsterfans on that extreme politics thread? I'd expect Munsterforever and Ronnie to lose the plot, less so Point! :roll:
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

Flash Gordon wrote:
JoseFantastique wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote: I fear the 20 minute boys will suffer this season. Many pundits are tipping them to go straight back down. Would be a shame, great fans and the best shirt in the Guinness Premiership.

By the way Jose, WTF is going on with Munsterfans on that extreme politics thread? I'd expect Munsterforever and Ronnie to lose the plot, less so Point! :roll:
I guess liking Wasps for me, would be like you saying your 2nd favourite Irish team are Munster, but I really can't stand the pests. I think Leicester are my least favourite GP side, followed v. closely by the waps, and then I can take or leave pretty much all the other teams. Newcastle, in the cup, are another hated team, but that's another story!

I'd like Staunton to do well, but I'm just not sure that he's up to it. ANd with Van Gis now out for a couple of months, there will be alot more pressure on Jezza (or indeed whomever gets to play fly half) to perform. I reckon Walder will start ahead of him though.
McCloud
Knowledgeable

Post by McCloud »

Flash Gordon wrote:
JoseFantastique wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote: I fear the 20 minute boys will suffer this season. Many pundits are tipping them to go straight back down. Would be a shame, great fans and the best shirt in the Guinness Premiership.

Silly season only finishs this Friday (I hope)..........
JoseFantastique
Mullet

claire_m wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
JoseFantastique wrote: I must admit my small and petty nature would love to see a Wasps team containing Bracken and Staunton beat a Harlequins team, just for kicks like.

I guess liking Wasps for me, would be like you saying your 2nd favourite Irish team are Munster, but I really can't stand the pests. I think Leicester are my least favourite GP side, followed v. closely by the waps, and then I can take or leave pretty much all the other teams. Newcastle, in the cup, are another hated team, but that's another story!

I'd like Staunton to do well, but I'm just not sure that he's up to it. ANd with Van Gis now out for a couple of months, there will be alot more pressure on Jezza (or indeed whomever gets to play fly half) to perform. I reckon Walder will start ahead of him though.
I don't particulary like any premiership team (though I respect quite a few), but Wasps have a high number of Irish players so they're my default team. Also felt Gatland was shafted by the IRFU and I was glad to see Wasps succeed in his tenure. Certainly I see nothing likable about Quins, especially if Duffy gets benched by Abbott and Luscombe, fair play for the loyalty Gav. Will they be relegated? I don't know, any season it looks like half the teams are bad enough to be relegated.

Walder might be ahead of Staunton, it doen't matter. Wasps are losing games becuase they've no lineout or number 7. Staunton has missed the preseason and you'd have to expect that will set him back. However, Geech has spoken about his faith in Staunton so he's not written off either.
JoseFantastique
Mullet

Flash Gordon wrote:
Silly season, but frankly, it's time to start handing out bannings.
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

JoseFantastique wrote:
claire_m wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote: Agree, Wasps would be my second favourite team in the GP after Irish.

I don't particulary like any premiership team (though I respect quite a few), but Wasps have a high number of Irish players so they're my default team. Also felt Gatland was shafted by the IRFU and I was glad to see Wasps succeed in his tenure. Certainly I see nothing likable about Quins, especially if Duffy gets benched by Abbott and Luscombe, fair play for the loyalty Gav. Will they be relegated? I don't know, any season it looks like half the teams are bad enough to be relegated.

Walder might be ahead of Staunton, it doen't matter. Wasps are losing games becuase they've no lineout or number 7. Staunton has missed the preseason and you'd have to expect that will set him back. However, Geech has spoken about his faith in Staunton so he's not written off either.
Duffy would, I imagine, start at fullback. He'll face competition there from Mike Brown though, and Charlie Amesbury.

He played at centre last season, as Quins only ever seemed to have one fit centre - Greenwood or Deane. Tosh Masson & Jordan Turner Hall featured last season, but they're both academy boys, and so will play mainly in the A league this season.

Duffy seems to suffer a bit in that he's seen as an all-rounder, so makes the bench to cover all the backs, but I would imagine he'll start at full back.

I;ll stick the teams up when they get released, it will make for interesting viewing.
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

LI team for Saturday:

Starting XV
15 Delon Armitage
14 Topsy Ojo
13 Dom Feau'nati*
12 Mike Catt* (Capt)
11 Sailosi Tagicakibau*
10 Riki Flutey
9 Paul Hodgson
1 Tonga Lea'eatoa*
2 Danie Coetzee*
3 Richard Skuse
4 Nick Kennedy
5 Bob Casey*
6 Kieran Roche
7 Olivier Magne*
8 Juan Leguizamon

16 Neal Hatley
17 Robbie Russell*
18 Dave Fitter*
19 Phil Murphy*
20 Declan Danaher
21 Michael Horak*
22 Barry Everitt*
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

JoseFantastique wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
Totally agree. Some of the stuff coming from Munsterforever and Ronnie is just disgusting and extremely bigotted/offensive. And its not being helped by the moderator.....
Eve
Mullet Moderator

Post by Eve »

claire_m wrote:LI team for Saturday:

Starting XV
15 Delon Armitage
14 Topsy Ojo
13 Dom Feau'nati*
12 Mike Catt* (Capt)
11 Sailosi Tagicakibau*
10 Riki Flutey
9 Paul Hodgson
1 Tonga Lea'eatoa*
2 Danie Coetzee*
3 Richard Skuse
4 Nick Kennedy
5 Bob Casey*
6 Kieran Roche
7 Olivier Magne*
8 Juan Leguizamon

16 Neal Hatley
17 Robbie Russell*
18 Dave Fitter*
19 Phil Murphy*
20 Declan Danaher
21 Michael Horak*
22 Barry Everitt*
Am I showing my ignorance if I ask about the '*'s? :oops:
Summer is ready when you are

JoseFantastique
Mullet

Flash Gordon wrote:
JoseFantastique wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
Totally agree. Some of the stuff coming from Munsterforever and Ronnie is just disgusting and extremely bigotted/offensive. And its not being helped by the moderator.....
Point has a very tough job as a moderator, in addition to having a full time job and a new born child to occupy his time. The easiest solution would be to ban both Ronnie and MF.