Munster Rugby - Semi Conscious, the Series Finale??? - 2020/21

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Re: Munster Rugby - Semi Conscious, the Series Finale??? - 2020/21

Post by RoboProp »

mildlyinterested wrote: October 30th, 2020, 8:23 am
munster#1 wrote: October 30th, 2020, 8:21 am
mildlyinterested wrote: October 30th, 2020, 7:55 am

Leinster are operating currently with this exact scenario at loosehead.
Not really the exact same scenario if you want to apply logic.
How is that?

Leinster have Dooley and Milne until the internationals return in December.
Munster have Cronin and Wycherley until the injured props return in December.
They can stay away from Milne, I predict big things for Milne. They can take their begging cap somewhere else
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

They're not trying to get Milne. He's going to make every matchday squad for a while.

I wouldnt have an issue with Munster getting cover, but I think they may not need cover right now. Leinster are managing with more or less the same position and Munster have a much higher chance of getting John Ryan back than we do of getting one of ours.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

RoboProp wrote: October 30th, 2020, 12:00 pm
munster#1 wrote: October 30th, 2020, 8:21 am
Not really the exact same scenario if you want to apply logic.
How is that?

They can stay away from Milne, I predict big things for Milne. They can take their begging cap somewhere else
Can’t see the cover coming from Leinster TBH.
Hard to see how this will pan out. If they go for someone outside of Ireland, then they have to go through the whole isolation period, then try to get the player up to speed, and sure by then they may have one of their own props back.

It is worth noting that discussion around cover appears to be a question which was asked of rowntree, to which he said that he wouldn’t rule it out, so no confirmation that Munster have even started looking.
Although I would be shocked if they haven’t.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

munster#1 wrote: October 30th, 2020, 1:10 pm

How is that?

Hard to see how this will pan out. If they go for someone outside of Ireland, then they have to go through the whole isolation period, then try to get the player up to speed, and sure by then they may have one of their own props back.

It is worth noting that discussion around cover appears to be a question which was asked of rowntree, to which he said that he wouldn’t rule it out, so no confirmation that Munster have even started looking.
Callum Reid just confirmed for six weeks
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

RoboProp wrote: October 30th, 2020, 1:14 pm
munster#1 wrote: October 30th, 2020, 1:10 pm

Callum Reid just confirmed for six weeks
Any idea what he is like?
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Reid looks a good prospect. Its a good move for all parties as he'll get gametime while easing the workload on the other 2.

fourthirtythree wrote: October 29th, 2020, 10:58 am Who do you move for Coombes? Can they do a Doris to him and move him? Love to see Healy, KOB, and Hodnett get European game time.

I think some of the defending might be down to Scannell having a real day to protect. De Allende took a while to get functioning defensively and that Cardiff midfield was one of the best units out there.

I honestly can't remember when I last enjoyed a Munster game like that.

I'd keep rotating the team. He can play 6 or second row too so provides options there. Hes a big impact off the bench but for his own development I'd like to see him start more.

It was one of the most enjoyable munster games I've seen in years. Credit to Cardiff too because they played some great stuff and look up for it this season. They look like they've a decent squad.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Munster continuing with their trend of blooding young players, with the likes of Nash and Casey again starting in the backline.

I am very interested to see how the front row with Josh and Knox starting manage to fair out in the scrum. That could be a brave or stupid move, but with the addition of Kleyn in the second row will add some ballast.

Great to see Coombes getting another start. Hopefully we get to see him on the ball a fair bit.

The bench is filled with potential, with Barron, Ahern, flannery and JOS.
At some stage, fielding such inexperienced teams will back fire, but the long term gains of the last few weeks will hopefully bare fruit over the next 2-3 years.

Munster: Matt Gallagher; Calvin Nash, Rory Scannell, Damian de Allende, Darren Sweetnam; JJ Hanrahan, Craig Casey; Josh Wycherley, Kevin O’Byrne, Keynan Knox; Jean Kleyn, Billy Holland (C); Jack O’Donoghue, Chris Cloete, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Diarmuid Barron, James Cronin, Stephen Archer, Thomas Ahern, Tommy O’Donnell, Nick McCarthy, Jake Flannery, Jack O’Sullivan.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Good to see JVG doubling down.

It's funny, as a Leinster fan I look at that team and go 'that's a good mix of experienced and youth, they probably could've even put in another young guy into the backline'. A Munster fan look at that side and goes 'blooding young players' and 'inexperienced'!

Is 23 year old Calvin Nash who has 22 appearances not already 'blooded'?!

Maybe that's being too harsh though, and having said that the props are very young. It's definitely a good sign to see them and the likes of Ahern, Flannery, JOS etc there.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

wixfjord wrote: October 31st, 2020, 1:02 pm Good to see JVG doubling down.

It's funny, as a Leinster fan I look at that team and go 'that's a good mix of experienced and youth, they probably could've even put in another young guy into the backline'. A Munster fan look at that side and goes 'blooding young players' and 'inexperienced'!

Maybe that's being too harsh though, and having said that the props are very young. It's definitely a good sign to see them and the likes of Ahern, Flannery, JOS etc there.
Munster continue their trend of young lads performing well and then disappearing completely out of the squad the next week. John Hodnett, impresses every time you see him and yet here he isn't even in the 23.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It looks like they are trying to build a rotation policy with the younger front row supported by an experienced rest of pack this week.

Also interesting that Flannery and Ahern make the bench. Is Fineen training with Ireland or rotated?

I don't see the fuss over picking Nash. They could have picked more experienced outside backs by rotating Gallagher to the wing and picking Haley. That's about it.

I think the 6-2 split is off. Why bring 3 outhalves and no outside back cover.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Keith wrote: October 31st, 2020, 2:09 pm

Munster continue their trend of young lads performing well and then disappearing completely out of the squad the next week. John Hodnett, impresses every time you see him and yet here he isn't even in the 23.
Is that a bit of a tongue in cheek comment?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

In fairness Munster have plenty of opensides and need to balance game time. This is the start of the season for many of the non internationals.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

I take your point on Nash, at 23 he is not an incredible young winger, but he is a player I want to see given a good run of games. He has been very unfortunate with injuries, which has stunted his development.

I agree with you that another young player could have been introduced, but at some stage you need to start playing your centre partnerships to get them ready for the bigger games, especially as De Allende and Scans have very few mins together.
Worth nothing that Gallagher is also a young lad, just not a Munster product, so the balance is reasonably good.

I like the pack. If you are going to play 2 inexperienced props, you need experience behind them, especially in the back row, because you may be in a position where you need to get the ball out quick, or defend while the scrum is retreating.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Scannell has played 6/6 games. de Allende has played 5/6 (80 minutes every game he's started and 51 the one he didn't). That's a lot for not the 1st choice partnership.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

munster#1 wrote: October 31st, 2020, 2:23 pm

I take your point on Nash, at 23 he is not an incredible young winger, but he is a player I want to see given a good run of games. He has been very unfortunate with injuries, which has stunted his development.

I agree with you that another young player could have been introduced, but at some stage you need to start playing your centre partnerships to get them ready for the bigger games, especially as De Allende and Scans have very few mins together.
Worth nothing that Gallagher is also a young lad, just not a Munster product, so the balance is reasonably good.

I like the pack. If you are going to play 2 inexperienced props, you need experience behind them, especially in the back row, because you may be in a position where you need to get the ball out quick, or defend while the scrum is retreating.
Again though Matt Gallagher is 24 and has played 44 games for Sarries, so he's hardly green!

(This isn't to take away from JVG, I think the selection is really positive, and you need a balance, but it's also a game away to Dragons!)
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

wixfjord wrote: October 31st, 2020, 3:07 pm
munster#1 wrote: October 31st, 2020, 2:23 pm

Again though Matt Gallagher is 24 and has played 44 games for Sarries, so he's hardly green!

(This isn't to take away from JVG, I think the selection is really positive, and you need a balance, but it's also a game away to Dragons!)
Ah now, seems like you are just knit picking.

There is very little to quibble about this selection. Don’t lower yourself to the level of my stalker.

JVG has to give Gallagher game time. Whatever he has done before arriving at Munster, he needs to get up to speed with the Munster play.

Any coach has got to look at a balance between keeping your HC match day squad players match fit, and introducing youth.

This is a good blend, with youth and inexperience getting a good level of involvement alongside a sprinkle of experienced players.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

munster#1 wrote: October 31st, 2020, 4:17 pm

There is very little to quibble about this selection. Don’t lower yourself to the level of my stalker.

JVG has to give Gallagher game time. Whatever he has done before arriving at Munster, he needs to get up to speed with the Munster play.

Any coach has got to look at a balance between keeping your HC match day squad players match fit, and introducing youth.

This is a good blend, with youth and inexperience getting a good level of involvement alongside a sprinkle of experienced players.

No, I'm not knit picking at all. You're looking for things to be annoyed by.

Like I've said it's a positive selection now twice. I've said you need to blend experience and youth also.

But Gallagher and Nash are not 'inexperienced' players though.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

wixfjord wrote: October 31st, 2020, 5:03 pm
munster#1 wrote: October 31st, 2020, 4:17 pm

No, I'm not knit picking at all. You're looking for things to be annoyed by.

Like I've said it's a positive selection now twice. I've said you need to blend experience and youth also.

But Gallagher and Nash are not 'inexperienced' players though.
We’ll have to agree to disagree on this one so.
IMO Nash is an inexperienced player, he has a similar number of appearances to the like of Hugh O Sullivan and JOB, and I wouldn’t consider any of them experienced, but you are entitled to your opinion.

With Gallagher I am not saying he is an inexperienced player, but is inexperienced in the red of Munster.

This of course is a non discussion, as we both appear to agree on most items.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Nash and Gallagher are relatively experienced given the pool of players available for selection. Sound better?
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

ronk wrote: October 31st, 2020, 2:18 pm

In fairness Munster have plenty of opensides and need to balance game time. This is the start of the season for many of the non internationals.
True, it is going to be tough for Munster to keep them all happy :wink: Clearly Hodnett has something a bit special about him though, I'd like to see him get a run of games before the internationals are back and he's forgotten about.