Munster Rugby - Semi Conscious, the Series Finale??? - 2020/21

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: Munster Rugby - Semi Conscious, the Series Finale??? - 2020/21

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

tomthefan wrote: December 29th, 2020, 7:29 am So
Clermont never lose at home in Europe against any Irish Club... except Munster.
Australia never lose against any Irish Club... except Munster.
NZ never lose against any Irish Club... except Munster.
Etc.

In summary I believe we can say that Munster are exceptional.
Liginds in fact
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

tomthefan wrote: December 29th, 2020, 7:29 am So
Clermont never lose at home in Europe against any Irish Club... except Munster.
Australia never lose against any Irish Club... except Munster.
NZ never lose against any Irish Club... except Munster.
Etc.

In summary I believe we can say that Munster are exceptional.
"Plucky" would be more accurate.
"Plucky little buggers in their cute little red jerseys" one might say.
"Hope they win something one day"
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Munster have made some big calls for the Ulster game.
This is essentially a second string team with Daly being the only player retained from the great escape.

Not overly confident now after looking at both teams.
I think even if Munster stay with Ulster for the first 60 mins, the ulster bench will win this game.

Munster: Shane Daly; Calvin Nash, Dan Goggin, Rory Scannell, Liam Coombes; Ben Healy, Craig Casey; Liam O'Connor, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Fineen Wycherley, Billy Holland (c); Jack O’Donoghue, Chris Cloete, Jack O’Sullivan.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, Dave Kilcoyne, Roman Salanoa, Thomas Ahern, Tommy O’Donnell, Nick McCarthy, Jack Crowley, Darren Sweetnam.

Ulster: Jacob Stockdale, Matt Faddes, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Ethan McIlroy, Billy Burns, John Cooney; Eric O'Sullivan, Rob Herring, Marty Moore, Kieran Treadwell, Sam Carter (Capt.), Matty Rea, David McCann, Nick Timoney.

Replacements: Adam McBurney, Callum Reid, Tom O'Toole, David O’Connor, Marcell Coetzee, Nathan Doak, Ian Madigan, Ben Moxham
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

munster#1 wrote: January 1st, 2021, 1:04 pm Munster have made some big calls for the Ulster game.
This is essentially a second string team with Daly being the only player retained from the great escape.

I think even if Munster stay with Ulster for the first 60 mins, the ulster bench will win this game.

Munster: Shane Daly; Calvin Nash, Dan Goggin, Rory Scannell, Liam Coombes; Ben Healy, Craig Casey; Liam O'Connor, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Fineen Wycherley, Billy Holland (c); Jack O’Donoghue, Chris Cloete, Jack O’Sullivan.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, Dave Kilcoyne, Roman Salanoa, Thomas Ahern, Tommy O’Donnell, Nick McCarthy, Jack Crowley, Darren Sweetnam.

Ulster: Jacob Stockdale, Matt Faddes, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Ethan McIlroy, Billy Burns, John Cooney; Eric O'Sullivan, Rob Herring, Marty Moore, Kieran Treadwell, Sam Carter (Capt.), Matty Rea, David McCann, Nick Timoney.

Replacements: Adam McBurney, Callum Reid, Tom O'Toole, David O’Connor, Marcell Coetzee, Nathan Doak, Ian Madigan, Ben Moxham
Annoying Munster selection from a Leinster perspective, given the how close the league table is with them and Ulster.

The Munster second row selection (and, to a lesser extent, back row) is very undersized and I don't rate O'Connor at loosehead. I'd say there's hardly ever been a starting second-row selection anywhere, any time in the entire professional era where the pair are both in the 6'3"-6'5" range. Tiny by second row standards.

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing Thomas Ahern get a run, a true freak at 6'9"-6'10". He doesn't have the bulk of a Snyman-type at that height but he is athletic and pacy - certainly more athletic than Devin Toner, for example. I think he could form a formidable second-row partnership with James Ryan for Ireland at the next world cup, with Ryan Baird at 6, and Iain Henderson on the bench.

For Ulster, looking forward to seeing McIlroy again, he is yet another promising outside back prospect from Ulster (if only they could produce a forward).
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

neiliog93 wrote: January 1st, 2021, 2:09 pm
munster#1 wrote: January 1st, 2021, 1:04 pm Munster have made some big calls for the Ulster game.

Annoying Munster selection from a Leinster perspective, given the how close the league table is with them and Ulster.

The Munster second row selection (and, to a lesser extent, back row) is very undersized and I don't rate O'Connor at loosehead. I'd say there's hardly ever been a starting second-row selection anywhere, any time in the entire professional era where the pair are both in the 6'3"-6'5" range. Tiny by second row standards.

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing Thomas Ahern get a run, a true freak at 6'9"-6'10". He doesn't have the bulk of a Snyman-type at that height but he is athletic and pacy - certainly more athletic than Devin Toner, for example. I think he could form a formidable second-row partnership with James Ryan for Ireland at the next world cup, with Ryan Baird at 6, and Iain Henderson on the bench.

For Ulster, looking forward to seeing McIlroy again, he is yet another promising outside back prospect from Ulster (if only they could produce a forward).
As an Ulster fan you must be licking your lips at the prospect of a TBP win over this team?

I’d say it must have been a planned selection for this game, with a stronger team planned for the postponed Leinster match.

I actually do rate LOC, but I think that Munster pack will struggle against you.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Munster holding back the internationals for the Conference B game at Galway next week. Makes sense with the new format for playoffs etc.

Ulster with young McCann getting 1st start and Reid and Doak due to get 1st game from bench.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

neill_m wrote: January 1st, 2021, 2:56 pm Munster holding back the internationals for the Conference B game at Galway next week. Makes sense with the new format for playoffs etc.

Ulster with young McCann getting 1st start and Reid and Doak due to get 1st game from bench.
If you were into conspiracy theories, then it could be read that Munster were throwing the game to allow ulster to extend their lead in Conference A.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

munster#1 wrote: January 1st, 2021, 2:59 pm
neill_m wrote: January 1st, 2021, 2:56 pm Munster holding back the internationals for the Conference B game at Galway next week. Makes sense with the new format for playoffs etc.

If you were into conspiracy theories, then it could be read that Munster were throwing the game to allow ulster to extend their lead in Conference A.
The Truth is Out There😉
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Or Leinster (depleted squad) skipping the game last week to avoid defeat with the bonus that munster would be fresher for the match against ulster.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

dropkick wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 9:45 am

Or Leinster (depleted squad) skipping the game last week to avoid defeat with the bonus that munster would be fresher for the match against ulster.
Et tu Dropkick?
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

I think we might be on to something here.....

In all seriousness, I can not fathom this squad selection.
That selection would be good enough for most teams in the league, but not for the undefeated conference A leaders.

Selecting just one player from the Clermont game removes all momentum.

Saying all that, Munster have amassed a good lead in Conference B, and can afford to lose a few points, but I would rather that they retain their unbeaten status and all of the psychological benefits that come with that.

I predict Ulster to score 4 tries and win by 12.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

The Pro14 is now a smaller tournament too. There are other priorities
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

thanks munster. did us a favour tonight preventing an Ulster BP. After 20 mins I didn't see it happening...especially when coetzee came on but fair play, that was a decent ulster team against a lot of young, inexperienced munster players.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Good performance from Munster - Ulster are at nothing to be honest
I have Bumbleflex
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

McElroy, Burns, McCloskey, and Timoney particularly good tonight. Both Scannell's prove yet again they are not Pro14 standard and to think there have been calls recently that Casey and Healy be fasttracked to the Irish squad. Really?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Casey and Healy were the best half backs on display today (admittedly a low bar, but still)
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Dave Cahill wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 1:23 am Casey and Healy were the best half backs on display today (admittedly a low bar, but still)
Bet to differ. Cooney & Burns for first-half were definitely superior.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Well the result was better than expected,
On paper Ulster should have come away with an easy 5 points from that game.

Ulster were at home, and playing against a severely weakened team.

Munster did very well to stay within touching distance of Ulster for so long and were rewarded with a LBP.

For me the standout player for Munster was Daly closely followed by Cloete.
Goggin had showed some great hands on a number of occasions, and R Scannell did well, and largely negated the Ulster centre pairing.

The Munster scrum did very well considering the lack of bulk behind the front row.
It was great to see Niall Scannell back, while he doesn’t off as much as many around the park, he does what any good hooker should do. He throws well and can push a scrum.

Firstly I do think that the best team won, but I think that the ref was very poor.
On a number of occasions he failed to reward Munster at the breakdown, giving Ulster a load of time to clear out, but did not do the same in return.
In one maul he called that’s once when the Munster maul was moving forward, then told Casey to get ready to use it when it was still moving.

There are many other examples, but I will not go on.
I am not sure that he was a biased ref, I just think he was out of his depth and lacked consistency.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Also, it is worth noting that Salanoa is an absolute beast.
His carrying last night is something that is missing in Irish rugby at the moment.

If he can improve in the scrum and do that sort of damage on a continual basis, then Munster and Ireland could have a serious player on their hands.
RichardP
Graduate

Post by RichardP »

munster#1 wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 12:24 pm

I think we might be on to something here.....

In all seriousness, I can not fathom this squad selection.
That selection would be good enough for most teams in the league, but not for the undefeated conference A leaders.

Selecting just one player from the Clermont game removes all momentum.

Saying all that, Munster have amassed a good lead in Conference B, and can afford to lose a few points, but I would rather that they retain their unbeaten status and all of the psychological benefits that come with that.

I predict Ulster to score 4 tries and win by 12.
Well you were half right!