Munster Rugby - Semi Conscious, the Series Finale??? - 2020/21

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Munster Rugby - Semi Conscious, the Series Finale??? - 2020/21

Post by OTT »

Ryan Wilson is some c~*k. Faux hard man.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

I don't mind seeing Healy make those mistakes in those conditions. A gust of wind might have been the difference in turning an incredible kick into a mistake. I'd rather see that than JJs kicking which gets no distance.

The decision to go for long range penalties early in the second half was strange. Glasgow couldn't contain munsters maul so why not kick it down the line. Again, in those conditions it's very hard to score from long range.

Casey was my mom. Watching him for the Ireland U20s his kicking was a weakness. It's now gone from being a weakness to a strength. He keeps getting better and is very aware of what's happening around him and got a great feel for the game.

Coombes will be in the ireland squad before long. I'd have him ahead of CJ at 8 for the big games.

The pack were very good again. The decision to go with Wycherley at 6 was a good one. He adds a lot of physicality playing in the backrow.

Most teams would love to have the likes of Archer and Cronin and the sub props kept up the pressure. Having a strong set piece makes things much easier. KOB should be in the ireland squad as we've seen in the last few months. Rowntree doing a great job too. Doesn't get many mentions but the pack look very well drilled.

Haley very solid again. I'd still have Daly as first choice. Good competition.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Dropkick

Coombes will be in the ireland squad before long. I'd have him ahead of CJ at 8 for the big games.
He deserves to be. If there is a summer tour I'd love to see him on it.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

sunshiner1 wrote: November 24th, 2020, 10:45 am
by Dropkick

He deserves to be. If there is a summer tour I'd love to see him on it.
Very big call to have him at 8 ahead of CJ.
CJ has been in great form, and playing at a much higher level.
However, I do think that Munster should be looking to accommodate both in their starting pack, which may mean POM shifting to 7, and JOD moved to the bench.

Coombes like Casey is unfortunate in his timing. In a regular season both would be called up for this nothing game against Georgia, and likely brought into the 6 nations squad, but I think Farrell is far too conservative to do this.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

dropkick wrote: November 24th, 2020, 10:18 am I don't mind seeing Healy make those mistakes in those conditions. A gust of wind might have been the difference in turning an incredible kick into a mistake. I'd rather see that than JJs kicking which gets no distance.

The decision to go for long range penalties early in the second half was strange. Glasgow couldn't contain munsters maul so why not kick it down the line. Again, in those conditions it's very hard to score from long range.

Casey was my mom. Watching him for the Ireland U20s his kicking was a weakness. It's now gone from being a weakness to a strength. He keeps getting better and is very aware of what's happening around him and got a great feel for the game.

The pack were very good again. The decision to go with Wycherley at 6 was a good one. He adds a lot of physicality playing in the backrow.

Most teams would love to have the likes of Archer and Cronin and the sub props kept up the pressure. Having a strong set piece makes things much easier. KOB should be in the ireland squad as we've seen in the last few months. Rowntree doing a great job too. Doesn't get many mentions but the pack look very well drilled.

Haley very solid again. I'd still have Daly as first choice. Good competition.
Agreed on most of that.

Archer and Cronin have been rock solid, and yesterday they out muscles the opposition.

If Ireland want to fix their lineout, then they must look to KOB, but I wonder if he is a bit lightweight for the scrum? He would be given away a few pounds on most other options, and with the scrum already under strength with Porter, it may be a step too far?

Casey has been a joy to watch. He looks so experienced and calm for such a young and still inexperienced scrum half. How good will he be after another 12 months at this level.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Solid looking Munster team for tomorrow’s game.
Good to see the young Wycherley brothers getting a start, especially Josh who can hopefully put in a good shift.

Coombes will again get to entertain, and will hopefully put in a great shift.

The bench is where this team gets exciting. Every member of the bench is either in the academy or has just left it, with the exception of LOC, who I am also excited to see.

Munster: Matt Gallagher; Calvin Nash, Dan Goggin, Damian de Allende, Darren Sweetnam; JJ Hanrahan, Nick McCarthy; Josh Wycherley, Rhys Marshall, Stephen Archer; Fineen Wycherley, Billy Holland (c); Jack O’Donoghue, Chris Cloete, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Diarmuid Barron, Liam O’Connor, Keynan Knox, Thomas Ahern, Jack Daly, Craig Casey, Ben Healy, Seán French.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Agree about the bench. Looking forward to seeing the new lads especially Sean French who is great going forward but defensively weak or at least has been.

Big game for JJ.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

dropkick wrote: November 29th, 2020, 8:20 pm Agree about the bench. Looking forward to seeing the new lads especially Sean French who is great going forward but defensively weak or at least has been.

Big game for JJ.
I haven’t seen too much of french, but I’ve been told that he is an extremely exciting player with ball in hand

Agreed, JJ needs a big game if he is to make the 10 jersey his own for the HC.

I’m hoping we get to see the bench emptied fairly early. Would be great to see Ahern get a decent run out.
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

I was really disappointed back when JJ went to Northampton and Keatley was kept.
At the time I felt that JJ had the potential to be the far better player of the two.
His time over there and since his return have shown me that I was wrong, he's never really progressed and at this
stage, I don't think he ever will.
Ben Healy's the man who needs to be backed now.
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Munster and INM have 'mutually agreed' to end their naming rights sponsorship deal over Irish Independant Park which will revert to its original name of Why do we have to play in that shithole in Cork, can we not play in Thomond Park instead Park
I have Bumbleflex
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

Newspapers sponsoring anythng nowadays is a nonsense. They're the ones who need sponsoring.
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

tomthefan wrote: November 30th, 2020, 12:47 pm Newspapers sponsoring anythng nowadays is a nonsense. They're the ones who need sponsoring.
Very true. The partnership seemed to benefit Munster a lot more than the independent.

The stadium is of a very good standard, and would be a great first stadium for many teams in the league.

I wonder if they will manage to attract another sponsorship.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

tomthefan wrote: November 30th, 2020, 10:35 am I was really disappointed back when JJ went to Northampton and Keatley was kept.
At the time I felt that JJ had the potential to be the far better player of the two.
His time over there and since his return have shown me that I was wrong, he's never really progressed and at this
JJ is a player that really frustrates me. He is clearly a very skilful player.
When he turns in the class, he is up there with the best, but he seems to go long phases between showing what he can do.

I really think that he would have been better being developed as a fullback.
At this stage it does look unlikely that he will fulfil his promise, but he is still a very good player to have around.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

I don't think JJ has the head for it. He makes poor decisions and doesn't perform well under pressure. He is also a poor kicker from hand. JJ is an excellent passer so pity he wasn't a bit bigger to play center.

Healy on the other hand is ice cool. Nothing seems to phase him which is a good trait to have.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

munster#1 wrote: November 29th, 2020, 9:06 pm
dropkick wrote: November 29th, 2020, 8:20 pm Agree about the bench. Looking forward to seeing the new lads especially Sean French who is great going forward but defensively weak or at least has been.

Big game for JJ.
I haven’t seen too much of french, but I’ve been told that he is an extremely exciting player with ball in hand

Agreed, JJ needs a big game if he is to make the 10 jersey his own for the HC.

I’m hoping we get to see the bench emptied fairly early. Would be great to see Ahern get a decent run out.

He has great hands. A few years ago in the munster schools cup he seemed to be scoring wonder tries every game. Showed that skill for the Ireland U20s too but his defending was bad.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

tomthefan wrote: November 30th, 2020, 10:35 am I was really disappointed back when JJ went to Northampton and Keatley was kept.
As were most of the Munster media machine who gnashed their teeth at the injustice of JJ deciding to leave for Northampton. It was part of the Dublin/IRFU vendetta against Munster.

5 out halves later, Munster are forced by circumstances into actually playing one of their their own - who actually turns out to be quite good.

Joke of a club.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Ahern making his first start. Big game for him
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Obviously there is no point getting too carried away with tonight game, but that was an enjoyable victory.

To see so many academy players and newly appointed senior players taking to the field and putting 50+ points on the board is very good.

Coombes yet again was very good, French was good in defence and very good in attack, Wycherley put in a good shift.
For me Ahern was the standout kid. He is very athletic for a man his size. He could do with a few extra kilos, which will come with time.

Of the older heads, JOD, Goggin Cloete were very good, but JJ was brilliant. JJ looked every bit the player that he should be.
I think JJ will start the upcoming HC games, and I really hope that he can play with the confidence he showed tonight.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Glasgow Warriors have made an approach for Munster's scottish qualified out half, Ben Healy
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dave Cahill wrote: December 1st, 2020, 2:49 am Glasgow Warriors have made an approach for Munster's scottish qualified out half, Ben Healy
If the situation was reversed Munster would do the same.

Suppose his agent has earned his keep. Have to expect Healy was due promotion anyway but this will help. With the current depth situation and the fact that Healy is competing for the starting jersey it would make sense for Munster to open their wallets unless they have an incoming signing or prefer other academy lads.