Munster Rugby - Semi Conscious, the Series Finale??? - 2020/21

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Munster Rugby - Semi Conscious, the Series Finale??? - 2020/21

Post by OTT »

Hodnett hasn’t made it till we hear the cousins calling him Hods.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

OTT wrote: October 31st, 2020, 5:43 pm Hodnett hasn’t made it till we hear the cousins calling him Hods.
I’d say it will be Seanie, Hods would be a very D4 approach to a nickname.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

I believe you but tell that to Sweets, Scanns x2, Cons, Woots, Carbs, Murr And Wych :lol:
Must be a lot of Lunsters still controlling the nicknames down there.

All joking aside he looks like he will be a fixture for Munster in the years ahead.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Hodnett replaces Cloete who has a neck injury.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

dropkick wrote: November 1st, 2020, 1:48 pm Hodnett replaces Cloete who has a neck injury.
He did well linking for the try.

JJ's place must be under threat. Casey is breaking well and often. de Allende isnt impressing me.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

How many places are there available in the Munster 23 for European games? Playing Dragons on a Sunday afternoon the day after a 6N game is not usually where you make a name for yourself but these are not normal times - even in Munster rugby.

Definitely missing are Snyman and Kilcoyne. From the evidence of recent performances they should be joined by Archer, Scannell and O'Mahony and a first-up pack selection of Cronin; O'Byrne; Ryan; Kleyn; Beirne; O'Donoghue; Hodnett & Stander. On the bench should be Scannell; Loughman / Wyncherly; Knox; Coombes & PO'M.

Decisions in the backs may be as interesting with a first choice selection of Murray; Hanrahan; Earls; Scannell; De Allende; Conway & Daly with bench options in Casey; Healy; & Haley.

JVG has now got to nail his tactical and selectorial colours to the mast. If the decision is high-tempo with the backs creating line breaks and offloads and the back-row becoming the key to maintaining that momentum he must include ball carriers with pace and off-loading skills. That could result in Kleyn being replaced by Wyncherly.

If he wants to have his pack continue to delivery 3-5 mtr tries, nothing needs nor will change.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It's really hard to drop guys coming back from international camp.

Since Munster can nominate the whole squad including academy it makes it easier for guys like Hodnett and Nash.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Gallagher is promising.

Might be better to try him at wing a bit.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Very scrappy game but a comfortable win. Theyll be frustrated by the second half in particular.

Tough conditions made it very hard for the ball carriers to do anything.

The usual suspects were superb again. KOB, Casey, Hodnett, JOD, DDA.

The back 3 were excellent too. Gallagher superb, Sweetnam unlucky not to score and Nash looks like he's starting to reach his potential. Hopefully he can stay injury free.

The young props had good games. Josh Wycherley looked solid.

Healy would have made a difference i think. His kicking game is ideal for that weather but I accept he can't play every game.

Ahern with the lineout steal straight away and must be a pain to throw against. Good debut by him.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Ruckedtobits wrote: November 1st, 2020, 2:57 pm How many places are there available in the Munster 23 for European games? Playing Dragons on a Sunday afternoon the day after a 6N game is not usually where you make a name for yourself but these are not normal times - even in Munster rugby.

Definitely missing are Snyman and Kilcoyne. From the evidence of recent performances they should be joined by Archer, Scannell and O'Mahony and a first-up pack selection of Cronin; O'Byrne; Ryan; Kleyn; Beirne; O'Donoghue; Hodnett & Stander. On the bench should be Scannell; Loughman / Wyncherly; Knox; Coombes & PO'M.

Decisions in the backs may be as interesting with a first choice selection of Murray; Hanrahan; Earls; Scannell; De Allende; Conway & Daly with bench options in Casey; Healy; & Haley.

JVG has now got to nail his tactical and selectorial colours to the mast. If the decision is high-tempo with the backs creating line breaks and offloads and the back-row becoming the key to maintaining that momentum he must include ball carriers with pace and off-loading skills. That could result in Kleyn being replaced by Wyncherly.

If he wants to have his pack continue to delivery 3-5 mtr tries, nothing needs nor will change.

Yup. Should be interesting what team is selected when the big games come. KOB, Hodnett, Healy and Casey should be nailed on imo.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

I think it may be a shoot out for the bench spot between Hodnett, Coombes and Cloete.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

munster#1 wrote: November 1st, 2020, 6:34 pm I think it may be a shoot out for the bench spot between Hodnett, Coombes and Cloete.
Who do you have starting 7 in the big games?
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

ronk wrote: November 1st, 2020, 7:03 pm
munster#1 wrote: November 1st, 2020, 6:34 pm I think it may be a shoot out for the bench spot between Hodnett, Coombes and Cloete.
Who do you have starting 7 in the big games?
Scott Penny.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Ah yeah, the real academy
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Yet another win for Munster, this time not as surprising given the opposition, but a valuable win none the less.

Hopefully Munster don’t live to regret not getting a tbp.
Munster were very good in the first half, but a bit sloppy in the second,

Great to see Nash looking like the player he should be. A good run of games will really stand to him.
Gallagher looks like a very good player, great gas, and very strong.

Casey was yet again very good at SH.

In the pack, it was great to see the 2 young props getting game time, but it was a shame that we didn’t really get to see how good they are in the scrum.

Yet again, JOD was very good. He has to be one of the most consistent players in Ireland right now, and it is great to have him available during the international window.

You have to wonder if KOB can take the number 2 jersey over the next few weeks. He is a very good thrower of the ball, and very good around the field.

Munster played some very good rugby, but only in glimpses. It definitely feels like something is growing here, and it is the fist time in a few years that I am this excited to see Munster play regardless of the opposition.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I know it's only the Pro14 (so far), but Casey really does add a whole new dimension to Munster's attack.

He has that little bit of edge in him that a lot of Irish rugby players lack too (according to Lancaster).

Can 100% see why Leo made a play to sign him.

I hope he gets a shot in the Autumn Nations Cup. Maybe him with Ross and Cooney/JGP with Harry.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

wixfjord wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 9:03 am I know it's only the Pro14 (so far), but Casey really does add a whole new dimension to Munster's attack.

He has that little bit of edge in him that a lot of Irish rugby players lack too (according to Lancaster).

Can 100% see why Leo made a play to sign him.

I hope he gets a shot in the Autumn Nations Cup. Maybe him with Ross and Cooney/JGP with Harry.
He is a proper scrum half. He does the fundamentals of his role very well, and surprisingly for a man of his size, is not afraid to have a snipe around the corner, so he keeps defences guessing, which should suck in players.

On your point about the autumn internationals, it would definitely be great to see him get capped, but why not with Healy who is in great form. If it was a shoot out between himself and Harry B, then IMO Healy would be the better option.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I don't think starting Casey/H Byrne together for their first test match is a good idea and H Byrne is ahead of Healy in the pecking order.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

wixfjord wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 10:51 am I don't think starting Casey/H Byrne together for their first test match is a good idea and H Byrne is ahead of Healy in the pecking order.
I think this tournament, and that word should be used loosely, should be used as a development tournament.

The likes of sexton, Healy, Murray, Earls, POM, Stander etc should not be given game time.

With regards to the pecking order, I suppose that is subjective, and the only opinion that matters in terms of selection will be the selectors.

However, IMO, Healy is further along the line than Byrne, and is more likely to get meaningful game time over the next 2 years, unless he passes his brother out.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

munster#1 wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 11:09 am
wixfjord wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 10:51 am I don't think starting Casey/H Byrne together for their first test match is a good idea and H Byrne is ahead of Healy in the pecking order.
I think this tournament, and that word should be used loosely, should be used as a development tournament.

The likes of sexton, Healy, Murray, Earls, POM, Stander etc should not be given game time.

With regards to the pecking order, I suppose that is subjective, and the only opinion that matters in terms of selection will be the selectors.

However, IMO, Healy is further along the line than Byrne, and is more likely to get meaningful game time over the next 2 years, unless he passes his brother out.
you think he is, irish coaches disagree.