Munster Rugby - Semi Conscious, the Series Finale??? - 2020/21

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

munster#1
Shane Jennings

Re: Munster Rugby - Semi Conscious, the Series Finale??? - 2020/21

Post by munster#1 »

Ruckedtobits wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 1:22 pm Many posters appear to be unaware of the restrictions on French Clubs this season (and next) in relation to the number of French developed and eligible players in their Squads.

In reality there will be minimal investment in overseas players in the short term.
I hope you are right, but I still think that the likes of Sexton, Healy, POM and Earls would find a contract in France.
The rules are more restrictive, but will not stop French teams making signings.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Munster have performed culls at the end of last season and the season before, and have largely replaced outgoing players with internal academy players or low payed external players apart from the 2 externally funded RWC winners.

Munster have a relatively small squad standing at 43.
I can see that number being reduced to 40, and if I were the IRFU I would actually impose a rule that all 4 provinces have no more than 40 senior players going into the 2021/2022 season.
Looking at each squad online it looks like Ulster have 40, Munster and Connacht have 43 and Leinster have 47.

That would see a reduction of 13 senior players which you’d imagine could create a saving in excess of €2m a year and could be much more if done right.

This would also force teams like Munster to utilise their academies more often for the smaller games, and potentially getting academy players playing in Europe.

All 4 provinces are currently running at a fairly sizeable loss with up to 50% of their incomes wiped out.
This loss is likely to follow the provinces for a few years, so something has got to give.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

We are now in the home straight for the start of the start of the HC.

I am really looking forward to seeing the squad selection.
Not too many Irish players will be leaving that cap with a feeling that they have earned automatic selection.

Regardless of the opinion of many on here, POM was superb over the last few weeks, so for me he walks back into the starting team, as does earls.
Murray, despite his limited minutes, for me he should start, likewise with Farrell.

Conway, Ryan, Beirne and Daly are the players I see as most at risk of sitting this game out.

Stander had a very good start to the series, but the shift to 6 was not a successful one for him, but I do think he should start for Munster.

My team would be:
Cronin
O Byrne
Archer
Kleyn
Wycherley
Stander
POM
Coombes
Murray
JJ
Conway
DeAllende
Farrell
Earls
Haley

Wycherley, Marshall, Ryan, Beirne, JOD, Casey, Healy, Daly.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

munster#1 wrote: December 7th, 2020, 1:14 pm We are now in the home straight for the start of the start of the HC.

Not too many Irish players will be leaving that cap with a feeling that they have earned automatic selection.

Regardless of the opinion of many on here, POM was superb over the last few weeks, so for me he walks back into the starting team, as does earls.
Murray, despite his limited minutes, for me he should start, likewise with Farrell.

Conway, Ryan, Beirne and Daly are the players I see as most at risk of sitting this game out.

Stander had a very good start to the series, but the shift to 6 was not a successful one for him, but I do think he should start for Munster.

My team would be:
Cronin
O Byrne
Archer
Kleyn
Wycherley
Stander
POM
Coombes
Murray
JJ
Conway
DeAllende
Farrell
Earls
Haley

I haven't gotten to watch a whole load of rugby since the re-finish/re-start (but happy to hear about the progress of Coombes, Hodnett, Casey & Healy), how is De Allende working out?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

munster#1 wrote: December 7th, 2020, 1:14 pm We are now in the home straight for the start of the start of the HC.

My team would be:
Cronin
O Byrne
Archer
Kleyn
Wycherley
Stander
POM
Coombes
Murray
JJ
Conway
DeAllende
Farrell
Earls
Haley

If JvG hasn't the bottle to select Shane Daly at full back, we'll know that the past 8 weeks have been all about trying to retain and pacify Larkham, as rumoured.

Also, it will be a very tough call on JO'D if he doesn't make the match day team after his performances this season. It will be a ridiculous selection if Tadgh Beirne does'nt displace Wycherly in the second row, in part to compensate for the absence of a 'ground-hog' No 7 in his back row.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Ruckedtobits wrote: December 8th, 2020, 1:04 pm

My team would be:
Cronin
O Byrne
Archer
Kleyn
Wycherley
Stander
POM
Coombes
Murray
JJ
Conway
DeAllende
Farrell
Earls
Haley

If JvG hasn't the bottle to select Shane Daly at full back, we'll know that the past 8 weeks have been all about trying to retain and pacify Larkham, as rumoured.

Also, it will be a very tough call on JO'D if he doesn't make the match day team after his performances this season. It will be a ridiculous selection if Tadgh Beirne does'nt displace Wycherly in the second row, in part to compensate for the absence of a 'ground-hog' No 7 in his back row.
Daly has been holding tackle bags for the last few weeks, while Haley has put in a couple of very good performances.
I don’t think the non selection of Daly would be an indicator of anything other than picking the form player.

JOD would be very unlucky not to get selected, but it is a toss up between himself or Coombes, and for me Coombes deserves it.

Beirne will probably come back in, as he is a very good player, but again I am selecting on rewarding form, and Wycherley deserves his spot.
On the groundhog point, Munster have enough poachers in their team to not have to rely on an open side to have to play that role.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Peg Leg wrote: December 8th, 2020, 10:32 am

My team would be:
Cronin
O Byrne
Archer
Kleyn
Wycherley
Stander
POM
Coombes
Murray
JJ
Conway
DeAllende
Farrell
Earls
Haley

I haven't gotten to watch a whole load of rugby since the re-finish/re-start (but happy to hear about the progress of Coombes, Hodnett, Casey & Healy), how is De Allende working out?
Yes, there has been plenty to be happy about with the current crop of young players.
I can’t wait to see how they stand up to playing against some full strength teams.

DeAllende has been a bit of an anticlimax for me. He is clearly a very talented player, and always looks like he has loads of time when he gets the ball, but I would have hoped for better from him.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Ruckedtobits wrote: December 8th, 2020, 1:04 pm

My team would be:
Cronin
O Byrne
Archer
Kleyn
Wycherley
Stander
POM
Coombes
Murray
JJ
Conway
DeAllende
Farrell
Earls
Haley

Any links? I could see them having differing views alright.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

munster#1 wrote: December 4th, 2020, 9:40 am Munster have performed culls at the end of last season and the season before, and have largely replaced outgoing players with internal academy players or low payed external players apart from the 2 externally funded RWC winners.

I can see that number being reduced to 40, and if I were the IRFU I would actually impose a rule that all 4 provinces have no more than 40 senior players going into the 2021/2022 season.
Looking at each squad online it looks like Ulster have 40, Munster and Connacht have 43 and Leinster have 47.

That would see a reduction of 13 senior players which you’d imagine could create a saving in excess of €2m a year and could be much more if done right.

This would also force teams like Munster to utilise their academies more often for the smaller games, and potentially getting academy players playing in Europe.

All 4 provinces are currently running at a fairly sizeable loss with up to 50% of their incomes wiped out.
This loss is likely to follow the provinces for a few years, so something has got to give.

The older non Ireland players could be first in the firing line. That is unless they are in key positions. For Munster I'd say one of Niall Scannell/Marshall will be let go. One of LOC/Loughman. Holland, TOD. JJ depending on Carberys injury situation. Haley is another.

Think 40 players wouldn't be enough for Leinster because of the Ireland players.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

dropkick wrote: December 8th, 2020, 3:39 pm
munster#1 wrote: December 4th, 2020, 9:40 am Munster have performed culls at the end of last season and the season before, and have largely replaced outgoing players with internal academy players or low payed external players apart from the 2 externally funded RWC winners.

The older non Ireland players could be first in the firing line. That is unless they are in key positions. For Munster I'd say one of Niall Scannell/Marshall will be let go. One of LOC/Loughman. Holland, TOD. JJ depending on Carberys injury situation. Haley is another.

Think 40 players wouldn't be enough for Leinster because of the Ireland players.
I think with the age profile of Cronin and Killer, that we might retain both LOC and Loughman, but I won’t hold my breath.
Holland and TOD are likely to be the first out IMO, and probably one or 2 back 3 players, especially if Wooten returns after his loan spell.

With regards to Leinster, I think this international window was unusual. They are unlikely to be without so many players for so long again until 2023.
Given the quality of their academy, and the results that they’ve had over the last 8 weeks, it is clear that they could reduce their numbers to 40 and still be very competitive.

I think a reduction is inevitable, but I hope I am wrong.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Munster team very close to what I had hoped for.
Form has been rewarded with KOB, Cronin, Coombes and Haley being retained.
Great mix on the bench, some very young inexperienced players alongside JOD, Ryan, Scannell and Marshall.

The short turn around may be an issue for the backline, but I would hope that the pack can get parity at least,

I am so excited to have the HC back.

Munster (v Harlequins):

15. Mike Haley
14. Andrew Conway
13. Chris Farrell
12. Damian de Allende
11. Keith Earls
10. JJ Hanrahan
9 Conor Murray

1. James Cronin
2. Kevin O’Byrne
3. Stephen Archer
4. Jean Kleyn
5. Tadhg Beirne
6. Gavin Coombes
7. Peter O’Mahony Capt
8. CJ Stander.

Replacements:

16. Rhys Marshall
17. Josh Wycherley
18. John Ryan
19. Fineen Wycherley
20. Jack O’Donoghue
21. Craig Casey
22. Ben Healy
23 Rory Scannell
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Coombes (& Wycherley) ahead of Holland is probably the main call there because of the way it moves POM to 7. POM has recent time there for Ireland and it probably suits him.

Daly musing the 23 entirely nut be hard. He was riding high before the international break.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

ronk wrote: December 12th, 2020, 4:06 am Coombes (& Wycherley) ahead of Holland is probably the main call there because of the way it moves POM to 7. POM has recent time there for Ireland and it probably suits him.

Daly musing the 23 entirely nut be hard. He was riding high before the international break.
I thought that POM move to No7 was going to come this season with Snyman arriving. I had it figured as Beirne moving to No6, didn't count on van Graan's selection attitudes changing.

I like POM at No7, with the proviso that you need to sub him off because he doesn't have a great engine [as he has said himself]. But it allows a coach to keep his great lineout abilities in the team while including a much more traditionally-formed, harder-hitting blindside.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

hugonaut wrote: December 12th, 2020, 5:28 am
ronk wrote: December 12th, 2020, 4:06 am Coombes (& Wycherley) ahead of Holland is probably the main call there because of the way it moves POM to 7. POM has recent time there for Ireland and it probably suits him.

I thought that POM move to No7 was going to come this season with Snyman arriving. I had it figured as Beirne moving to No6, didn't count on van Graan's selection attitudes changing.

I like POM at No7, with the proviso that you need to sub him off because he doesn't have a great engine [as he has said himself]. But it allows a coach to keep his great lineout abilities in the team while including a much more traditionally-formed, harder-hitting blindside.
The meteoric development of Coombes as a quality player has forced this move, and it is the correct decision IMO.

POM is more than capable of playing 7 for Munster. He has the groundhog ability as he has shown over the years, but given that Munster have a good number of poachers in that team, he doesn’t have to play that role only.

This will allow him to conserve a lot more energy, as trying to be the second man to every second breakdown is a difficult and energy sapping role.

At the risk of jinxing Munster, like with most games, this game will be won at setpiece and the breakdown, and this is where Munster have been impressive to date.
With Coombes in the team, you now have 3 players that are 6’6” or above along with POM, so the lineout should be solid.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I had Snyman partnering Beirne most of the time with Kleyn coming in for the giants.

With the law induced formation changes and Doris making the Irish starting team, it's a great time for POM to shift (& promote his versatility). POM has a track record for getting what he wants, when Beirne came in he was strictly a lock for a long time and Stander played 7 while POM stayed at 6, when someone had to shift.

A good natural opensides should be able to have a field day at the breakdown against someone out of position.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Good luck to our country bum.... eh cousins today.
Try BP seems possible.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Did I just see Shane Byrne in amongst the photos draped over some of the seats at Thomond?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Tadg Beirne having a fine match. Great in the lineout, mail, good for s canter about the pitch and that kick!

Couldn't understand Archer getting his game, to be honest I struggle with how he has a professional career. Hope Healy gets a good run.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

No TBP could be big come last round.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

wixfjord wrote: December 13th, 2020, 7:25 pm No TBP could be big come last round.
Yep! would think if they lose to Clermont next week it's going to be tough.