Ex-Leinster players

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

mfjoc
Graduate

Re: Ex-Leinster players

Post by mfjoc »

I see Brian McGovern has joined Narbonne via Venezia and Connacht
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

Dave Gannon & Brian Blaney get a mention in this mornings Irish Times.........Gannon at flanker!! Blaney back from injury. Also a mention for Ruairidh Murphy.....................

"Speaking of matters Exeter, those wondering how the remainder of the Irish contingent are faring at the Sandy Park club should note the club’s second team, Exeter United, who play in the English Premiership’s A league, are captained by David Gannon, who has made the first team match day squad several times.

Gannon is joined by Paul McKenzie, retaining a link to the Under-21 World Cup final of 2004 when they played for an Ireland team that lost to New Zealand in the final. McKenzie is playing at fullback these days – he was wing in that final – while Gannon is lining out at blindside flanker.

The latter’s cause has not been helped by the Chiefs signing a big-game Australian back five player in Peter Kimlin.

Gannon and McKenzie could not prevent Exeter United from going down 20-15 to the London Irish A team at Sunbury. Another ex-Ireland underage international, Ruairidh Murphy, was at prop for Exeter, while in the opposing frontrow was one-time Leinster hooker Brian Blaney. The Terenure man is happily recovered from the foot injury that delayed the start of his season after signing for the Exiles during the summer."
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

With Danny Care in the England squad, Dave Moore was in the matchday 23 on Sunday and he scored in last night's Quins A game. I haven't seen much of him yet, but I like what I've seen and he should get a few chances with Danny's absence and the Anglo-Welsh cup this weekend and next.

My only complaint, he's got too much time on his hands and he shaved his head. It's not a good look...
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

claire_m wrote:With Danny Care in the England squad, Dave Moore was in the matchday 23 on Sunday and he scored in last night's Quins A game. I haven't seen much of him yet, but I like what I've seen and he should get a few chances with Danny's absence and the Anglo-Welsh cup this weekend and next.

My only complaint, he's got too much time on his hands and he shaved his head. It's not a good look...
Danny Care has a shaven head, maybe he trying to confuse the coach.
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

Isaac4leinster wrote:
claire_m wrote:With Danny Care in the England squad, Dave Moore was in the matchday 23 on Sunday and he scored in last night's Quins A game. I haven't seen much of him yet, but I like what I've seen and he should get a few chances with Danny's absence and the Anglo-Welsh cup this weekend and next.

Not Danny, Dave. It doesn't suit him.
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

claire_m wrote:
Isaac4leinster wrote:

Not Danny, Dave. It doesn't suit him.
He has had a shaven head on occasion, though point taken, though I was being light hearted.

http://www.skysports.com/rugbyunion/pla ... 06,00.html
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Dave's the man. Hope he makes it over there
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

I thought Moore looked a better prospect than POD
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

Murph is on the Bench for Exeter today.
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
ratpack
Mullet

Post by ratpack »

Conor McInerney played for the Ospreys today.

Anyone know how Tonetti is getting on over @ Sale?
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

Moore has his first competitive start for Quins on Sunday. I'll keep you posted as to how he gets on. For info, the rest of the team (for stupid mickey mouse anglo welsh cup) is:

Harlequins team

15. ROSS CHISHOLM
14. SAM SMITH
13. OLLIE SMITH
12. TOM CASSON ©
11. GEORGE LOWE
10. RORY CLEGG
9. DAVE MOORE
1. JOE MARLER
2. CHRIS BROOKER
3. MARK LAMBERT
4. OLLIE KOHN
5. PETE BROWNE
6. MAURIE FA’ASAVALU
7. LUKE WALLACE
8. CHRIS YORK

16. JOE GRAY
17. CERI JONES
18. JAMES JOHNSTON
19. GEORGE ROBSON
20. TOM GUEST
21. KARL DICKSON
22. BEN URDAPILETTA
23. OLLIE LINDSAY-HAGUE

For interest, 11, 14 & 15 are in our academy. Casson (12) signed from Sarries academy over the summer and is an England U20, Marler is (I think) still in the academy, but he was called up for England (and then released) last week and you will see a lot more of him, Wallace & York are in the academy (actually, I think Yorkie is out of it now), Maurie is ex-league Samoan big boy, Urdapiletta signed from Argentina over the summer & could most definitely be one to watch (outhalf & centre).

We're playing Newcastle and should still have enough to see them off and it's a very exciting (and young) side.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Think Fa'asavalu has some union caps for Samoa too...not sure on that.
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
ratpack
Mullet

Post by ratpack »

claire_m wrote:Moore has his first competitive start for Quins on Sunday. I'll keep you posted as to how he gets on. For info, the rest of the team (for stupid mickey mouse anglo welsh cup) is:

Harlequins team

15. ROSS CHISHOLM
14. SAM SMITH
13. OLLIE SMITH
12. TOM CASSON ©
11. GEORGE LOWE
10. RORY CLEGG
9. DAVE MOORE
1. JOE MARLER
2. CHRIS BROOKER
3. MARK LAMBERT
4. OLLIE KOHN
5. PETE BROWNE
6. MAURIE FA’ASAVALU
7. LUKE WALLACE
8. CHRIS YORK

16. JOE GRAY
17. CERI JONES
18. JAMES JOHNSTON
19. GEORGE ROBSON
20. TOM GUEST
21. KARL DICKSON
22. BEN URDAPILETTA
23. OLLIE LINDSAY-HAGUE

For interest, 11, 14 & 15 are in our academy. Casson (12) signed from Sarries academy over the summer and is an England U20, Marler is (I think) still in the academy, but he was called up for England (and then released) last week and you will see a lot more of him, Wallace & York are in the academy (actually, I think Yorkie is out of it now), Maurie is ex-league Samoan big boy, Urdapiletta signed from Argentina over the summer & could most definitely be one to watch (outhalf & centre).

We're playing Newcastle and should still have enough to see them off and it's a very exciting (and young) side.
How are John Andress and Lewis Stevenson getting on this season? Don't seem to be getting the same amount of gametime as last season.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Conor McInerney starting for the Ospreys tonight against Leicester.

Pretty much two 'A' teams out but something to watch on a Friday evening.
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

Darce wrote:Think Fa'asavalu has some union caps for Samoa too...not sure on that.
Yup, in the 2003 RWC
ratpack wrote:

How are John Andress and Lewis Stevenson getting on this season? Don't seem to be getting the same amount of gametime as last season.
Andress was injured at the end of last season, but it wasn't realised at the time that he torn his bicep :shock: so he carried on playing. Had an op over the summer, missed the pre-season and is coming back to fitness. James Johnston (Census' brother) is currently our favoured prop but Andress really impressed towards the back end of last season. Hopefully he'll be eased back into the squad in the A games over the next few weeks and he can challenge for a spot.

Stevenson had a great season last year, he was probably my player of the season. (if you're interested, it will be Nick Evans this year by a country mile!) He had a great preseason and then dropped off the radar completely. I think he's injured at the moment, though I'm not sure how serious / how long he'll be out for. We had a lot of bad luck with 2nd rows last season (a combination of injuries & bans) and therefore he played most games - sink or swim and he did very well, learned very quickly. Now at least one of the long-term injured (out all last season) players is back. I think Lewis has a lot to offer though, I'm really impressed with him, he's got a great attitude.

edit: we have an 'injured players' link on our website. Lewis has a knee injury, though I don't know how serious it is. There's no point rushing him back (James Percival is out for the season and George Robson is only coming back now himself) though.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Donny B. wrote:Conor McInerney starting for the Ospreys tonight against Leicester.

Wales have another running fly half. Matthew Morgan couldn't place kick (in the conditions) but he was ABSOLUTELY MAGNIFICANT. McInerney was superb in the build up to the scrum half's try. Quality off load.

Why don't the O's play in the Brewery Field more often? They rerely get crowds as passionate as that in the Lib. Over 10,000+ and some Welsh League players. Great to see Leicester spanked for 40, and to concede a peno try from a scrum
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

suisse wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Conor McInerney starting for the Ospreys tonight against Leicester.

Wales have another running fly half. Matthew Morgan couldn't place kick (in the conditions) but he was ABSOLUTELY MAGNIFICANT. McInerney was superb in the build up to the scrum half's try. Quality off load.

Why don't the O's play in the Brewery Field more often? They rerely get crowds as passionate as that in the Lib. Over 10,000+ and some Welsh League players. Great to see Leicester spanked for 40, and to concede a peno try from a scrum
there are 2 bad things about Leicester getting spanked this weekend. Firstly, Quins are in the O's pool for the tin-pot cup thing and we'll need to score 4 tries against Newcastle now. Secondly, quins are playing Leicester next weekend in the league. They've lost the last 2 (3?) games now and will not want to add another to that, especially at Welford Road. Will be v. tough next weekend. Thanks alot Ospreys :evil:

Still, great result for Exeter today :D
groundhog
Knowledgeable

Post by groundhog »

I see Stephen McAuley last year's winning SCT Clongowes full back was on the bench for Leicester, did he get a run?
The French pulled up the Scots' kilts and discovered they had no balls - Zinzan Brooke
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

groundhog wrote:I see Stephen McAuley last year's winning SCT Clongowes full back was on the bench for Leicester, did he get a run?
Really? Was very impressed by that lad but thought he'd gone to the Ulster academy.
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

So, I was pretty impressed with Dave Moore yesterday. He came off after about an hour, which I think is down to a knock he picked up, but he seemed quite lively. Hopefully he'll be fit for Friday night, otherwise we only have one scrummy going to Welford Road :(

With Danny Care away with England, he'll get more chances and the A league is resuming in a couple of weeks, so I expect to see more of him.