for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Sigh...

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0706/11517 ... ody-study/

Far from promising for the herd immunity approach.
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

The penny has finally dropped for the lads in NPHET.
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-07- ... ovid-.html

They've got it wrong again by delaying pub openings.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

In Ireland the number of Health Care workers contracting COVID has been consistently of the order of 32% of the total confirmed cases.
This is somewhat surprising considering that at this point any missteps on the learning curve should be now firmly in the past.
So why isn't it?
Well a little stroll through one of our Dublin based national (public) hospitals might be informative.
What might you expect to see.

All medical staff suitably gowned.
All "guests" suitably gowned ie wearing masks
All receptionist staff suitably gowned.
All ancillary hospital staff suitably gowned, ie wearing masks

Would it surprise ye know that you'd be surprised.

All medical staff are or appear to be suitably gowned, excellent.
About one third, yes one third of the "guests" were wearing masks, a miserable fail.
Receptionists were behind screens, that constitutes suitably gowned, excellent.
Very few ancillary staff were suitably gowned, appalling.

We are going to have a second wave alright and it's going to be where the first wave was, in the hospitals.

I have one suggestion for the Minister of Health.
Pay an impromptu visit to at least one of our national hospitals every week and then have a word word HSE's CEO.
In fact the HSE's CEO could do worse than make a few impromptu visits to the hospitals he's responsible for.

This country is spending a fortune on public health care and the one burning question that needs to asked and frequently.
WHAT IS THE MONEY BEING SPENT ON. Pretty sure a good accountant would have a few far more searching questions to ask,
Like, WHERE's THE BANG FOR ALL THOSE TAXPAYER BUCKs.

Ah yes,The TAXPAYER, remember him, the one that gets stiffed for everything.

MORAL HAZARD has not gone away it's alive and well.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

I was in the Mater 3times the week before last(fine thanks) and they were all wearing masks/PPE etc.

The reason it spreads quickly in hospitals is because it's where they take people with the disease and some of the equipment they use spreads the virus like a mf to the point that the benefit of PPE might be negligible over a prolonged period.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: August 2nd, 2020, 12:32 am probly belongs here: https://twitter.com/VincentPMartin1/sta ... 8165393409

feicin TIT
Pilotman is a senator?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Operation Pontius Pilate is under way in the three LOK counties.
A bit like the nursing homes only worse because their can be no excuses this time round.
The warning signs appear to have been ignored, again.
An ex EAG member had a lot of interesting things to say about the LOK situation.
However his comments on masks were very interesting.
People aged 65+ should be wearing medical grade masks and that there isn't (or shouldn't be) any shortage of such masks in the country at the moment.
You could write pages more on this but you're smart people, I'll leave ye to join the dots.

Some light reading that might be of use.

https://phys.org/news/2020-08-inexpensi ... proof.html
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-08- ... itize.html

In other news the RUGBY is about to restart.
Let us give praise and thanksgiving to the Great God of the OVAL BALL.
May he get his retaliation in early.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschool wrote:Operation Pontius Pilate is under way in the three LOK counties.
A bit like the nursing homes only worse because their can be no excuses this time round.
An ex EAG member had a lot of interesting things to say about the LOK situation.
People aged 65+ should be wearing medical grade masks and that there isn't (or shouldn't be) any shortage of such masks in the country at the moment.
You could write pages more on this but you're smart people, I'll leave ye to join the dots.

Comin at you from the KLO. It should be noted that the clusters are all in food production plants with direct provision housing. I'm about 5km up the road from 'O'Brien fine foods" aka Brady's ham. The workers are here on fifo (fly in fly out) contracts, paid by an agency in their home countries. They are not entitled to sick pay.

The rumours in the village here range from paracetamol dosing regimes to spending time in the freezers before been temp tested. Whether or not their is any truth in either I do not know.

What I do know is that the price of a packet of ham is kept artificially low by these practises of limited worker rights and low wages. Not sustainable and it would seem capitalism is to blame here.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Peg Leg wrote: August 11th, 2020, 9:17 am ...
Comin at you from the KLO. It should be noted that the clusters are all in food production plants with direct provision housing. I'm about 5km up the road from 'O'Brien fine foods" aka Brady's ham. The workers are here on fifo (fly in fly out) contracts, paid by an agency in their home countries. They are not entitled to sick pay.

The rumours in the village here range from paracetamol dosing regimes to spending time in the freezers before been temp tested. Whether or not their is any truth in either I do not know.

What I do know is that the price of a packet of ham is kept artificially low by these practises of limited worker rights and low wages. Not sustainable and it would seem capitalism is to blame here.

Pretty shocking stuff alright, that’s Brady’s ham off the shopping list
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote: August 11th, 2020, 9:17 am
Oldschool wrote:Operation Pontius Pilate is under way in the three LOK counties.

Not disagreeing with you re treatment of workers.
BUT your post doesn't address the COVID related issues.
Which might I add, you are not obliged to.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

@OS, I agree with you on this. The signs were there, the publican on Virgin news going bananas about people not following protocol are to blame was handing out curry chips receipts to punters just in for a pint.

I am raging, I've been working from home with the 2 kids since this kicked off, my wife caught it the week of the original lockdown (banks are essential). I'm now on 2 weeks annual leave and after spending a frightful night in the Hodson Bay (not one table removed to create space) a lovely night in the Sheraron Athlone it was great to get away. We also had a trip to the Heritage booked for 2 nights this week, cancelled. Football cancelled and now we are fit to kill one another. Oh and as paddyor said, with masks the norm people are completely refusing to socially distance.

"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Peg Leg wrote: August 11th, 2020, 9:17 am Comin at you from the KLO. It should be noted that the clusters are all in food production plants with direct provision housing. I'm about 5km up the road from 'O'Brien fine foods" aka Brady's ham. The workers are here on fifo (fly in fly out) contracts, paid by an agency in their home countries. They are not entitled to sick pay.

Great post - never even knew about the existence of 'FIFO' contracts before reading this.

Obviously, this is just one man's opinion, but to me this set-up seems exploitative, unjust and flat out wrong. The more I have read about the meat processing industry in this country [which I never gave more than a moment's thought to, previously], the more I think that it needs a serious boot in the hole from our elected representatives, on behalf of the regular, non-c*ntish people of Ireland.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

You're not supposed to think about the sausage factory.

Farmers will block Kildare St., agrifood is big business and food prices are a national issue. FIFO workers don't really exist in Irish public life.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The problem is that the "regular, non-c*ntish people of Ireland" want to pay €4 for a kilo of mince
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

I can’t find anything on FIFO contracts in Ireland I only see results for Australian mining jobs.

Not saying it’s not happening though, I just never thought that this type of work practise was prevalent over here. Though I’m thinking about it I don’t see why not, pretty disgusting if you ask me
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Dave Cahill wrote: August 12th, 2020, 11:09 am The problem is that the "regular, non-c*ntish people of Ireland" want to pay €4 for a kilo of mince
Speaking for myself I’d happily pay a fair price for meat and eat less if it meant producers and workers were properly protected.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Meanwhile another Hospital comes up short.
The most dangerous places to be in are the public hospitals.
Followed by Nursing Homes.
(Interesting that the management have started to talk about visiting restrictions again)
Followed by meat factories - There's a story here, a big one.
The Union shop steward has been very measured in his utterances and the comments from the ex EAG member seem to have got lost - somewhere.
This one has all the necessary ingredients for a good Conspiracy Theory.
And the lads are worried about opening pubs.

The staycation policy had all the potential to demonstrate a classic example of the "Law of Unexpected Consequences" So far so good, barring maybe one or two locations - Courtown would be a reasonable guess.
Somewhere in Clare being another.

Get your medical grade masks while stocks last.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

NB The POLICE man is wearing a very effective mask, likely to protect him and anyone else he comes in contact with.
It can be done.
https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0812/11588 ... and-covid/
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

In line with some of the comment by GAA officials and spokespersons, I am aghast at the National Committee's attitude to attendance at outdoor sports' events.

The sole rationale offered thusfar by the Chair(s) of that Committee has related to their fears in regard to the assembly and dispersal of large groups attending sports fixtures.

If that is the sole basis of their concerns there is a simple solution. The authorities should require the organisers to require spectators to arrive and disperse at DESIGNATED TIMES.

It is not beyond the wit of such organisers to specify on every ticket a designated window of say 10 minutes for every spectator to arrive and leave a sports ground. Sure, this would, by necessity, entail all spectators having to allocate a longer period than merely the match playing time to their attendance at a game. However, anybody who attending, as an away supporter, at an English Premiership game would recognise that Police organisations required such constraints for much of the past decade.

Depending on how many entrances were available to a particular ground, reliable sources inform me that a crowd of up to 15,000 can be safely dispersed, with appropriate social distancing, in approximately 45 mins. Allowing a similar, but slightly longer period, the same number of people can safely enter a modern ground with six stile entrances on each side of the arena with appropriate social distancing.

AVIVA officials, working on a 1-metre minimum spacing calculated that c. 18,000 spectaors could have been facilitated for games. If 2-metre gaps were required, just short of 10,000 could have been accomodated. Every sports organisation in the country needs to resume their show-piece events and the populace as a whole will benefit from the impact of this resumption in some way, even if only to divert the media narrative.

The National Public Health Committee got it badly wrong in regard to Nursing Home patients, the efficacy of wearing masks and the dangers of allowing hairdressers to reopen. Is this their fourth own-goal?

Not much rocket science involved in some of these decisions. Just applied common sense with liberal goodwill added. Both qualities seem to be markedly absent from the mindset of medical and political authorities at present.