Friday's Rave

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Friday's Rave

Post by Hippo »

Connery was fine with hitting women, though in fairness to him apparently not as hard as you'd hit a man. Arsehole.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Hippo wrote: November 4th, 2020, 1:28 pm Connery was fine with hitting women, though in fairness to him apparently not as hard as you'd hit a man. Arsehole.
That quote was from 1965, 55 years ago. I'm sure if people went through what you said over your life they would probably find some things that are now unacceptable and which you regret. I know that would definitely be the case with me.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

the spoofer wrote: November 9th, 2020, 5:44 pm
Hippo wrote: November 4th, 2020, 1:28 pm Connery was fine with hitting women, though in fairness to him apparently not as hard as you'd hit a man. Arsehole.
That quote was from 1965, 55 years ago. I'm sure if people went through what you said over your life they would probably find some things that are now unacceptable and which you regret. I know that would definitely be the case with me.
Gosh that's certainly put me in my place
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

He was asked about it again in an interview in 1987 and he said he hasn't changed his opinion
Last edited by Laighin Break on November 10th, 2020, 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Laighin Break wrote: November 10th, 2020, 7:56 am
He was asked about it again in an interview in 1987 and he said he hasn't changed his opinion
He subsequently said “I don’t believe that any level of abuse of women is ever justified under any circumstances,”

He'd have been near the top of my list of people i'd loved to have gone for a pint with.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

the spoofer wrote: November 10th, 2020, 9:44 am
Laighin Break wrote: November 10th, 2020, 7:56 am

He subsequently said “I don’t believe that any level of abuse of women is ever justified under any circumstances,”

He'd have been near the top of my list of people i'd loved to have gone for a pint with.
His ex-wife also accused him of being abusive and knocking her unconscious (which he denied). But taking this into account, in addition to comments he made in '65 and backed up in '87 (and again in the 90s), seems like he was a scumbag.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Friday's Rave

Post by Twist »

Anyone got any underrated movies to recommend? Here’s a few of mine

- Leap of Faith; Steve Martin as a faith healing charlatan being pursued by sheriff Liam Neeson. Also a genuine miracle seems to occur and freaks him out. When’s it gonna rain? When’s it gonna *stop*?

- The Witch; Far more recent. The story of a deeply puritan family setting up camp in the American wilderness in the 17th century, but some witch in the woods keeps harshing their buzz. It was marketed as a traditional horror but its much more subtle. Based in part on transcripts from contemporary witch trials, if people in the 1600s were to make a horror movie then this is what they’d make

- Raising Arizona; The best (sorry Fargo) and funniest (sorry Big Lebowski) Coen brothers’ film. Nic Cage and Holly Hunter cant concieve so they steal a baby from a couple who have quintuplets

- The Right Stuff; Best movie ever, so obviously I think its underrated

- Drugstore Cowboy; Matt Dillon leads a small gang of junkies ripping off chemists in the 60s. Has a cameo from William S. Borroughs

- Contact; Aliens send Jodie Foster a text. The text has a cameo from Adolf Hitler. They also provide instructions for building a spaceship to come meet them
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Twist wrote: November 20th, 2020, 2:55 am Anyone got any underrated movies to recommend? Here’s a few of mine

- Leap of Faith; Steve Martin as a faith healing charlatan being pursued by sheriff Liam Neeson. Also a genuine miracle seems to occur and freaks him out. When’s it gonna rain? When’s it gonna *stop*?

- The Witch; Far more recent. The story of a deeply puritan family setting up camp in the American wilderness in the 17th century, but some witch in the woods keeps harshing their buzz. It was marketed as a traditional horror but its much more subtle. Based in part on transcripts from contemporary witch trials, if people in the 1600s were to make a horror movie then this is what they’d make

- Raising Arizona; The best (sorry Fargo) and funniest (sorry Big Lebowski) Coen brothers’ film. Nic Cage and Holly Hunter cant concieve so they steal a baby from a couple who have quintuplets

- The Right Stuff; Best movie ever, so obviously I think its underrated

- Drugstore Cowboy; Matt Dillon leads a small gang of junkies ripping off chemists in the 60s. Has a cameo from William S. Borroughs

- Contact; Aliens send Jodie Foster a text. The text has a cameo from Adolf Hitler. They also provide instructions for building a spaceship to come meet them
Wrong thread but:
Kiss kiss bang bang, the movie that gave RDJr his second chance.
True Romance, the film that gave us the greatest scene in a caravan including Walken and Hopper.
Stander, A true story about a policeman who robbed banks in SA while his buddies were suppressing the locals.
The hitcher, the movie with the thumb amongst the chips. (Rivals the right stuff for best movie everness)
The mist, the one with Thomas Jane and that ending
Dredd, the one much like 2000ad

Films I loved but suspect they may not hold up to a second watch:
Le haine,
Equilibrium,
Frailty,
Into the wild,
American history x,
Event Horizon,
The entire Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, Dolph Lundgren back catalogue
The American Ninja movies
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Decided to google read the wikipedia entry on "American Ninja", I swear to god that could have been written by me as a seven year old.
And then... and then... and then...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Ninja
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Peg Leg wrote: November 20th, 2020, 12:56 pm Decided to read the wikipedia entry on "American Ninja", I swear to god that could have been written by me as a seven year old.
And then... and then... and then...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Ninja
Daniel Sullivan
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

If you like American ninja then seek out Electric Boogaloo documentary about the production company behind that series you will not be disappointed
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

TerenureJim wrote: November 29th, 2020, 12:22 am If you like American ninja then seek out Electric Boogaloo documentary about the production company behind that series you will not be disappointed
THanks will do. Did they Avenging force as well? IIRC that was a Michael Dudikoff as well.

Police Acedmy is on Netflix. The characters(Tackleberry) are story are fairly jarring in the current context. Holds up farily well though for some cheap laughs.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

TerenureJim wrote: November 29th, 2020, 12:22 am If you like American ninja then seek out Electric Boogaloo documentary about the production company behind that series you will not be disappointed
OMG, this looks great, thank you!

https://youtu.be/-igpjqRDgDI
Daniel Sullivan
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

BBC News - Rob Burrow: Leeds Rhinos Director runs seven marathons in seven days

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55221424

A great achievement to help a friend.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Congratulations to the British people and their leaders on being the first to roll out the COVID vaccine.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Oldschool wrote: December 8th, 2020, 9:11 am Congratulations to the British people and their leaders on being the first to roll out the COVID vaccine.
Why?
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

domhnallj wrote: December 8th, 2020, 9:52 am
Oldschool wrote: December 8th, 2020, 9:11 am Congratulations to the British people and their leaders on being the first to roll out the COVID vaccine.
Why?
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Why Not?
Would you begrudge them this moment of celebration for them?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

domhnallj wrote: December 8th, 2020, 9:52 am
Why?
We're all big pharma fans here, right?
I must admit, I am interested to see how it progresses. I had a dream the other night in which the worlds population came together to develop a vaccine and ensure that all medical staff were all vaccinated first as a priority, only for the entire medical professional field to die off from unidentified side effects, it pretty much turned into 28 days later from that point.
Daniel Sullivan
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Oldschool wrote: December 8th, 2020, 10:36 am
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Why Not?
Would you begrudge them this moment of celebration for them?
I'm not begrudging them anything. I don't see how being first to regulate use of a vaccine is worthy of congratulations - someone had to be first to use it after all.

(given the shambolic sh!t-show approach of the UK to COVID its probably not surprising they were first - nothing else they've done has been effective)
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation