Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Friday's rant

Post by Dave Cahill »

Dexter wrote:
domhnallj wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:"The DAA, repaying our fuk-up, one parking ticket at a time"
Nice

any sign of motorway services yet? f*cking amateurs in every aspect of planning.
I think the approach is to build first.. and then do the planning.
Irish planning = see what's wrong with the thing we built and spend even more money fixing it.
Planning is done and tenders were offered but no one wants to provide the service
I have Bumbleflex
sid
Mullet

Re: Friday's rant

Post by sid »

Dexter wrote: I think the approach is to build first.. and then do the planning.
Irish planning = see what's wrong with the thing we built and spend even more money fixing it.
Sure it'll be grand.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Dexter wrote:
domhnallj wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:"The DAA, repaying our fuk-up, one parking ticket at a time"
Nice

any sign of motorway services yet? f*cking amateurs in every aspect of planning.
I think the approach is to build first.. and then do the planning.

or the vested interests got stuck in at the parish pump and whined about trade fall-off
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Re the lack of lifts at T2

Who signed it off in the first place (to only have two lifts) for a terminal specfically built for growth?

Once again will anyone be held accountable for such an incompetent decision?

Surely even the 'I love unions' fan club around here an see it's a ridiculous situation?
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

sheepshagger wrote:Re the lack of lifts at T2

Who signed it off in the first place (to only have two lifts) for a terminal specfically built for growth?

Once again will anyone be held accountable for such an incompetent decision?

Surely even the 'I love unions' fan club around here an see it's a ridiculous situation?
There are minimum numbers of lifts, escalators and stairs stipulated in the building regs that are dependent on elements like travel distance, expected user numbers, peak user numbers, building purpose, fire safety, escape distances, dead-loading, disability access [and about two dozen other factors].

I'd be surprised if an expensive, extremely recent building like the new terminal doesn't comply with those regulations. If it doesn't, not only is it amateurish, it's negligent. The owners/occupiers of the building could take the design team/contractors to court.

If, on the other hand, it does comply with the regs, but they've experienced that at peak times the queues go beyond a "reasonable" waiting time, they're remedying it by adding two extra lifts. You can't over-spec every single aspect of a large project like that – i.e. "throw another couple of lifts in there ... and another couple of escalators there ... and another couple of baggage carousels there" – because it all costs real money.

They either were supposed to put in say four/five lifts instead of two, according to the building regs or best practice in airport/terminal design and didn't [that's bad] ... OR ... they were supposed to put in the two that they initially included ... and are now adding an extra two due to supply and demand [that's good].

In both cases, it's better that they're putting them in now rather than not putting them in at all, because the demand is obviously there.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

There are a billion escalators though, what's the issue?
I've no problem with a company trying to direct its traffic.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Hickiefan »

Used terminal 2 in June when it was not busy and it was ridiculous. Had a baby, a buggy and three cases so an escalator was not an option. Two lifts seems daft but agree that it's at least something that they are putting them in now.

Now why can't departures be on ground level?
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
simplythebest
Enlightened

Post by simplythebest »

It's a stupid design. You have to go up, to come back down. What for? To cross the road, that's all. Why not route the road around it? Or if not possible (which I wouldn't believe) then simply sink the road under the building in a tunnel. Frequently, you check into T2, go up, then come back down and walk and walk and lo and behold, you end up in T1 (gates 300's). What's it all about? How much did it cost again?
LEINSTER pour toujours
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

simplythebest wrote:It's a stupid design. You have to go up, to come back down. What for? To cross the road, that's all. Why not route the road around it? Or if not possible (which I wouldn't believe) then simply sink the road under the building in a tunnel. Frequently, you check into T2, go up, then come back down and walk and walk and lo and behold, you end up in T1 (gates 300's). What's it all about? How much did it cost again?
€395m
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

TBH it looks they simply overlooked the need for more lifts, based on the number of baggage belts/checkin desks they installed any fool could see that 2 was never going to be enough.

The whole going upstairs to clear security then coming back down to board the plane makes absolutely no sense....except if maybe you work for the OPW or DAA.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

sheepshagger wrote:TBH it looks they simply overlooked the need for more lifts, based on the number of baggage belts/checkin desks they installed any fool could see that 2 was never going to be enough.

The whole going upstairs to clear security then coming back down to board the plane makes absolutely no sense....except if maybe you work for the OPW or DAA.
You seem to be under the impression that terminals are meant to be designed to get people through them efficiently. They're not. They are designed to "give people retail opportunities". According to the Harvard Design School's project on the city's guide to shopping the cash take per square metre in a terminal is 1000% that of main street. Why do you think that the air transport industry is so acquiescent to the ridiculous security charades that force people to go to airports early and makes journeys long and tedious? I doubt the architects were fools, they just had to balance a load of conflicting requirements in the brief.
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

Aer Lingus check in/bag tag in T2 is a constant joke as well. Any time I've been there the queues have been absolutely MANIC (think Disneyworld on Labour Day Weekend) and I've never once seen every desk open. Surely to God they know when their flight schedule is close to fully booked and can roster enough staff accordingly? What's the point in having 35-odd desks assigned to Aer Lingus if only 20 of them are operating even at peak times? Utter nonsense.
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

fourthirtythree wrote:
sheepshagger wrote:TBH it looks they simply overlooked the need for more lifts, based on the number of baggage belts/checkin desks they installed any fool could see that 2 was never going to be enough.

You seem to be under the impression that terminals are meant to be designed to get people through them efficiently. They're not. They are designed to "give people retail opportunities". According to the Harvard Design School's project on the city's guide to shopping the cash take per square metre in a terminal is 1000% that of main street. Why do you think that the air transport industry is so acquiescent to the ridiculous security charades that force people to go to airports early and makes journeys long and tedious? I doubt the architects were fools, they just had to balance a load of conflicting requirements in the brief.
have been through numerous airports around the world, I realise how the retail thing works. The decison not to put in adequate lifts had nothing to do with ensuring the retail space was well utilised - it was incompetence.

I blame the builders and the bankers, its all their fault like everything in this country. We have a slick well oiled public and semi state service where such inefficiencies would never be allowed.
Last edited by sheepshagger on July 30th, 2012, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

the way the DAA staff at the security screening speak to all the customers. bloody obnoxnious.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Leezer wrote:the way the DAA staff at the security screening speak to all the customers. bloody obnoxnious.
I can't say that's been my experience tbh.....I find the security staff at Dublin just as courteous and efficient as their colleagues internationally......with the possible exception of the United States(I find they get flustered easier and take that out on passengers)
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

nelly the elephant wrote:
Leezer wrote:the way the DAA staff at the security screening speak to all the customers. bloody obnoxnious.
I can't say that's been my experience tbh.....I find the security staff at Dublin just as courteous and efficient as their colleagues internationally......with the possible exception of the United States(I find they get flustered easier and take that out on passengers)
I've had arguments with people in DAA security previously and I've also heard one passenger being called a gobshite. However, I think most of them just get on with their job. The US crowd are on a level unmatched for giving out abuse in my experience.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

evidence will be put on youtube so.......
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Leezer wrote:
evidence will be put on youtube so.......
I don't doubt your word......just suggesting it is/was a more isolated incident?
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Eve
Mullet Moderator

Post by Eve »

Have to say I use T2 alot and have never had to queue for an elevator or encountered rude staff. I feel left out :-(
Summer is ready when you are

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Wanted to buy an iTunes gift cert for my poor nephew in Australia who has been trapped into the cult of Apple by his seemingly well meaning parents. (Honestly, it's worse than the Jehova's witnesses)

Guess what? You can't buy a gift cert without blighting your humble computer with the disastrous bloatware that is iTunes for PC!

Really? FFS! How is that going to attract customers?

Surely they could let us non believers "Light a candle" without having to be "baptised".

I'm just going to send him some illegal music and not tell anyone. :evil: :twisted: