Friday's rant

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Re: Friday's rant

Post by Xanthippe »

Hacker G wrote:
Xanthippe wrote: I wonder if they'll accept an AIB Bank Statement or AIB Credit Card bill as proof of address? The Ulster Bank won't accept any statement, bill, letter they sent to me - apparently it's 'policy' that they are not allowed to accept a letter they sent to me as proof of my address - how exactly do they think I got the post if it's not my address!
In fairness in this case, it's not just an annoying policy. If they did accept their own letter, they'd effectively be using their own records to verify that their records are correct.
Hadn't thought of it like that - was just annoyed because I don't get bills through the post so can't produce utility bill as proof of address. As Domhnall pointed out earlier my driving licence has my address and that's what I used in the end - had to go home and get my passport as photo id to go with it.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

Xanthippe wrote:
Hacker G wrote:
Xanthippe wrote: I wonder if they'll accept an AIB Bank Statement or AIB Credit Card bill as proof of address? The Ulster Bank won't accept any statement, bill, letter they sent to me - apparently it's 'policy' that they are not allowed to accept a letter they sent to me as proof of my address - how exactly do they think I got the post if it's not my address!
In fairness in this case, it's not just an annoying policy. If they did accept their own letter, they'd effectively be using their own records to verify that their records are correct.
Hadn't thought of it like that - was just annoyed because I don't get bills through the post so can't produce utility bill as proof of address. As Domhnall pointed out earlier my driving licence has my address and that's what I used in the end - had to go home and get my passport as photo id to go with it.
Lucky for you that you don't have a new driver's licence, so. I'm pretty sure my address isn't on my driver's licence.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

fourthirtythree wrote:Poor banks: they suffer from excessive regulation. If only they could be allowed a free hand to speculate and create exciting new products for shifting liability around and indeed if they could just be allowed to open bank accounts without pesky interference they would pinkie promise not to launder billions of dollars for drug cartels.

That said retail banking requirements are much lesser because they should be.
A bit OTT 433
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Not really Peg Leg. If history hasn't yet taught us that banking needs stringent adversarial regulation it has, and can, teach us nothing.

While HSBC did have to pay a fine (of $1.9 billion) for laundering the Sinaloas money for them, that is only the tip of the iceberg. Making consumers jump through hoops will not stop money laundering. No extra regulation would be required to stop the systematic laundering of cartel billions, merely an actual desire on the part of the banks to not launder criminal billions.

This desire is not present. As the Anglo trial showed us the attitudes of executives is rather similar to the Bush/Obama position on torture: if I can find a tame lawyer to provide an "opinion" (which I pay for and which boosts his career) which suggests that which is obviously utterly abhorrent is legal, I'm good to go!
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

fourthirtythree wrote:Poor banks: they suffer from excessive regulation.
I never said that
fourthirtythree wrote:If only they could be allowed a free hand to speculate and create exciting new products for shifting liability around...
Speculation and shifting liability around have nothing to do with general banking services (which is what my comment was about) - you are mixing up global markets & trading with transaction service i.e. bank accounts, lending, foreign exchange whatever.
fourthirtythree wrote:...and indeed if they could just be allowed to open bank accounts without pesky interference they would pinkie promise not to launder billions of dollars for drug cartels.
Which is why I was explaining the regulations that are in place - not arguing against them.

Take your snark elsewhere - I was explaining why the situation is as it is - I wasn't making a case for or against.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

Recruitment agencies.

Came on here to vent before attempting to draft a polite response to the email I received from one querying whether I might like to work in a different office of the organisation that I currently work for, at a lower level than I currently am :roll:
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Vamos los azules wrote:Recruitment agencies.

Came on here to vent before attempting to draft a polite response to the email I received from one querying whether I might like to work in a different office of the organisation that I currently work for, at a lower level than I currently am :roll:
More pay, less responsibility, more room for promotion?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

Peg Leg wrote:
Vamos los azules wrote:Recruitment agencies.

More pay, less responsibility, more room for promotion?
No, possibly, no. I actually wondered if they had sent it to me by mistake because it was so ridiculous but no, they were serious.

Not the first stupid thing that they've done either.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Fools who say 'the referee ruined the match as a spectacle'.

The referee is not the chief entertainment officer for a match.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

People who are paid to write and talk about rugby who don't know the laws of the game
I have Bumbleflex
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Dave Cahill wrote:People who are paid to write and talk about rugby who don't know the laws of the game
I second that.
Get in the f%~king bag.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Dave Cahill wrote:People who are paid to write and talk about rugby who don't know the laws of the game
Absolutely.

Also, commentators who refer to restarts as 'almost like the third set piece'. It is a f*cking set piece. The ball starts dead.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

IanD wrote:Fools who say 'the referee ruined the match as a spectacle'.

The referee is not the chief entertainment officer for a match.

And it's always the referee who ruined the game, not the player who made the dangerous tackle or stamped on someone's head.
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

Let me take a selfie.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

In relation to people who are paid to write or speak on the game, Donal Lenihan had an odd one on 2fm.

He spoke about the influence Mils will have off the field at Connacht. His reference example was Thorn at Leinster who apparently BOD spoke about how much he learned from him.

Now, I'm not sure whether BOD said that or not but Lenihan then cited that it can be seen in BOD since then as Thorn was with Leinster when BOD was 29.

Does he know at all when Thorn was with Leinster?
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

ceemec wrote:In relation to people who are paid to write or speak on the game, Donal Lenihan had an odd one on 2fm.

He spoke about the influence Mils will have off the field at Connacht. His reference example was Thorn at Leinster who apparently BOD spoke about how much he learned from him.

Now, I'm not sure whether BOD said that or not but Lenihan then cited that it can be seen in BOD since then as Thorn was with Leinster when BOD was 29.

Whatever about the age question, I have heard BOB talking about how much he learned from Thorn. He definitely said it during an event in the Laighin Out at the very least.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

ceemec wrote:In relation to people who are paid to write or speak on the game, Donal Lenihan had an odd one on 2fm.

He did speak very highly about Thorny when he was here alright, DL might be getting his Thorns and Elsoms mixed up however.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
icebaby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by icebaby »

Parking ticket machines that refuse to take the only note or coin denomination you happen to have and by the time you have gone off in a huff to find the needful , the charge has gone up ......
"Look what Leinster have done again"
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27368711

Ashley Cole. A self absorbed little pr!*k. Cant let others enjoy the announcement of their place in a World Cup Squad. He has to go and make his own announcement saying he is retiring. Retiring from playing for England - you were not being picked so you can hardly retire from something you are not doing. What a git.

Ps: I would like to announce I am retiring from playing for Ireland. I would like to thank Joe for his support and wish the team well for the future.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

IanD wrote:http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27368711

Ashley Cole. A self absorbed little pr!*k. Cant let others enjoy the announcement of their place in a World Cup Squad. He has to go and make his own announcement saying he is retiring. Retiring from playing for England - you were not being picked so you can hardly retire from something you are not doing. What a git.

Ps: I would like to announce I am retiring from playing for Ireland. I would like to thank Joe for his support and wish the team well for the future.
Your unseen work was legendary IanD.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!