Friday's rant

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Avenger
Seán Cronin

Re: Friday's rant

Post by Avenger »

RoboProp wrote:Usually anything over 145kg on bench and I'll ask for a spot. I think I just have a mental barrier with 150. Better safe than sorry. I rarely go above 140 these days as my body aint as willing as it once was :-(
Thats good benching. 100kg or over and I'd be looking for a spot.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

honeyec wrote:Colleagues on maternity leave who bring their spawn into the office can FRO.

She's been here for over an hour now. It's not a bleedin' crèche, go the f%~k home!
That's a a fairly vitriolic post. Always nice to see a colleague with a smile on their face.
(so long as they don't stay for an hour)
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Avenger wrote:
RoboProp wrote:Usually anything over 145kg on bench and I'll ask for a spot. I think I just have a mental barrier with 150. Better safe than sorry. I rarely go above 140 these days as my body aint as willing as it once was :-(
Thats good benching. 100kg or over and I'd be looking for a spot.
I'm a big fella and for that I blame my mother, every Saturday after a match piling on the steak and eggs while I was watching Robin of Sherwood or Gladiators :-)
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

Peg Leg wrote:
honeyec wrote:Colleagues on maternity leave who bring their spawn into the office can FRO.

She's been here for over an hour now. It's not a bleedin' crèche, go the f%~k home!
That's a a fairly vitriolic post. Always nice to see a colleague with a smile on their face.
(so long as they don't stay for an hour)
I 100% agree with you - it was vitriolic, intentionally so. And it is nice to see a colleague with a smile on their face. However, I have absolutely no interest in seeing their offspring and I certainly don't think the office floor when others are trying to work is the time or place for their girly reunion. At least p1$$ off down to the staff lounge.
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

"... and main streets bustle."

It's lovely the way her voice breaks slightly from the emotion of seeing our main streets bustle again. Thanks for "backing brave", our major sponsor – your ad is a quality pat on the head that we all appreciate!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

hugonaut wrote:"... and main streets bustle."

It's lovely the way her voice breaks slightly from the emotion of seeing our main streets bustle again. Thanks for "backing brave", our major sponsor – your ad is a quality pat on the head that we all appreciate!
I've been told by Mrs RP to hit the mute when this one comes on, as it induces blind fury. Plus, that ad with the kid whose folks get a mortgage also does my head in, you know the one "this house!" F**k off ya little creep
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I'm delighted that I have no idea what either of you are talking about. Sounds like I'd be annoyed if I did.

Last bunch of shows I downloaded, books I read, sources of music... They all came with no ads though.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

RoboProp wrote:
hugonaut wrote:"... and main streets bustle."

I've been told by Mrs RP to hit the mute when this one comes on, as it induces blind fury. Plus, that ad with the kid whose folks get a mortgage also does my head in, you know the one "this house!" F**k off ya little creep
Yeah, for some reason it has really hit a nerve with me. I wouldn't consider myself to be particularly cynical, but it seems so focus-grouped, condescending, manipulative and information-free.

"You're brave, and we're helping you to be brave" – you're a f*cking toddler going swimming for the first time, and we're the parents who give you armbands and sends you on your way, looking after you with a fretful expression that turns into delight. F*ck off. You're a bank, your job is to make sound financial appraisals of prospective businesses seeking loans etc. Just do that properly.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Yeah. I haven't watched adds in years either. No clue what you are on about.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

johng wrote:Yeah. I haven't watched adds in years either. No clue what you are on about.
Thank feck I'm not alone. I thought for a bit that the rants were getting very parochial.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

domhnallj wrote:
johng wrote:Yeah. I haven't watched adds in years either. No clue what you are on about.
Thank feck I'm not alone. I thought for a bit that the rants were getting very parochial.
You are very much not alone.
I rarely watch anything live unless sport or the news. Record everything and fast forward thru the adds.
Obviously not 100% effective but then I do occasionally get to hear a little bit of Elvis or some other nice bit of music (and the memories that go with it).
AND sometimes even a good ad.
Guinness ads are usually pretty good but there might be some bias involved there.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Oldschool wrote:
domhnallj wrote:
You are very much not alone.
I rarely watch anything live unless sport or the news. Record everything and fast forward thru the adds.
Obviously not 100% effective but then I do occasionally get to hear a little bit of Elvis or some other nice bit of music (and the memories that go with it).
AND sometimes even a good ad.
Guinness ads are usually pretty good but there might be some bias involved there.
I can not abide the current Guinness ad. Most people I know like it but for me its like looking at Sophie Loren now and remembering what she looked like when I was 15.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I can't stand watching live TV in friends' houses, don't know how they can cope with it.

Sometimes I'm watching something live and go to press fast forward and for a second or two can't figure out why nothing is happening because its such a rarity.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I can't stand watching live TV in friends' houses, don't know how they can cope with it.

Sometimes I'm watching something live and go to press fast forward and for a second or two can't figure out why nothing is happening because its such a rarity.
I'm just not organised enough to know what's coming up over the next few days.
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Peg Leg wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I can't stand watching live TV in friends' houses, don't know how they can cope with it.

I'm just not organised enough to know what's coming up over the next few days.
You don't need to be. So many channels have "catch up" sections on sky where you can watch any programme from the previous week or 2. Then you have all the box sets. And the Anytime stuff. That's before you download anything off the net or use an online "player"

I can sit down anywhere and set a week's rugby to record in about 5 mins with the sky app. Dentist's waiting room. Park. Bus. Where ever.

If I do happen to be watching live tv and an add break happens, I just hit pause and then fast forward after a few mins.

There you go. That's when you can organise your recordings. During an ad break. :-)
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

On a related note, got a letter from sky saying that the box sets will only be available to HD clients and they can FRO if they think I'm paying €15 a month extra for that. He looses its effect if you've to view through a 2 yr olds hand prints anyway.
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Can't watch rugby in SD. (Unless you have a postage stamp sized TV and then.... I can't watch rugby on a postage stamp sized tv) All the middle distance shots are just fuzz.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

There's been too much effin' ranting on this effin' thread of late.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

johng wrote:If I do happen to be watching live tv and an add break happens, I just hit pause and then fast forward after a few mins.
My mother does this, and I can't get my head around it. You'd rather sit there watching a paused screen for three minutes than just let the ads play?
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

A/ fock yeah. B/ you don't have to stare at the screen. There are other things you can be getting on with.