for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Friday's rant

Post by blockhead »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:
blockhead wrote:Can't believe there's no decent rugby be on this weekend. Fup this 6N nonsense.

Actually, forgot.
Kings v Cheetahs tomorrow
The Gick are playing at home tomorrow at 2:30?
Not a 'recognisable' name in the PC era.
Gick?
As in..
"It's all on your leg.
Gick Gick, La La"

To the tune of The Blue Danube.

What's wrong with that? Should I have asked?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:
blockhead wrote:Can't believe there's no decent rugby be on this weekend. Fup this 6N nonsense.

Actually, forgot.
Kings v Cheetahs tomorrow
The Gick are playing at home tomorrow at 2:30?
Not a 'recognisable' name in the PC era.
Well enough recognised in D6W area
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Getting emails for people with the same name as me.

Given that I've been online for over 20 years now, it's no surprise I was on board early enough with Gmail to get a firstnamelastname@gmail.com address.

Which you'd think would be great. Instead because I have a very common name, I get emails meant for the feckless idiots who think that their email address is based on their name, not what they actually set up! I get emails meant for people all over the world, some of the worst being meant for a convicted paedophile with the same name as me, where they talk about how they don't think it's possible he did what he did and they believe it's an injustice.

On a lighter note, if anyone has any contacts at the NCU CE Scheme please let me know so I can get them to stop breaking GDPR by sending me someones payslip with all their personal details. It's password protected... with a password of ncuce!
Anyone But New Zealand
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Gmail has a weird (and known) issue in that if you have an address as listed above you'll receive messages for firstname.lastname@gmail.com or anything with that letter sequence and full stops because Google doesn't recognise the stops. It's forced me to change my once before - if it happens again I won't be staying with Gmail.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

jimbobjoe wrote:Gmail has a weird (and known) issue in that if you have an address as listed above you'll receive messages for firstname.lastname@gmail.com or anything with that letter sequence and full stops because Google doesn't recognise the stops. It's forced me to change my once before - if it happens again I won't be staying with Gmail.
That's a feature, not a bug. Nobody is meant to get an email address with any number of dots for firstnamelastname if anyone has it already. (https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7436150)
Anyone But New Zealand
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

FLIP wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:Gmail has a weird (and known) issue in that if you have an address as listed above you'll receive messages for firstname.lastname@gmail.com or anything with that letter sequence and full stops because Google doesn't recognise the stops. It's forced me to change my once before - if it happens again I won't be staying with Gmail.
That's a feature, not a bug. Nobody is meant to get an email address with any number of dots for firstnamelastname if anyone has it already. (https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7436150)
Yes, I've read that before and still find it a very odd 'feature' and one that exposes a lot of danger, especially to those who aren't paying attention. I found this quite interesting when looking into it;

https://jameshfisher.com/2018/04/07/the ... mail-user/
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

I would still blame Netflix more for that - any service should verify that the person using the email to sign up for things controls the email account in question.
Anyone But New Zealand
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

FLIP wrote:I would still blame Netflix more for that - any service should verify that the person using the email to sign up for things controls the email account in question.
Definitely - verification is key when signing up or changing details. It's still avoidable from Gmail though and as the article suggested - the user should have the option to opt out of any additional addresses they may have. It would reduce ones exposure and spam intake.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

FLIP wrote:Getting emails for people with the same name as me.

Given that I've been online for over 20 years now, it's no surprise I was on board early enough with Gmail to get a firstnamelastname@gmail.com address.

Which you'd think would be great. Instead because I have a very common name, I get emails meant for the feckless idiots who think that their email address is based on their name, not what they actually set up! I get emails meant for people all over the world, some of the worst being meant for a convicted paedophile with the same name as me, where they talk about how they don't think it's possible he did what he did and they believe it's an injustice.

On a lighter note, if anyone has any contacts at the NCU CE Scheme please let me know so I can get them to stop breaking GDPR by sending me someones payslip with all their personal details. It's password protected... with a password of ncuce!
Holy sh!t that's horrible, I wouldn't deal with that well!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Got a text this morning.
Purporting to be from from PAR### where the# represents a number but not necessarily the same number.
The message was a notification informing me that my parcel was in Dublin Central Depot pending a €2 underpayment being made.
I nearly fell for it. I was that close....
The link was http://www.GB4.Best.etc
So be warned. :oops:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

jimbobjoe wrote:
FLIP wrote:I would still blame Netflix more for that - any service should verify that the person using the email to sign up for things controls the email account in question.
Definitely - verification is key when signing up or changing details. It's still avoidable from Gmail though and as the article suggested - the user should have the option to opt out of any additional addresses they may have. It would reduce ones exposure and spam intake.
Filter all messages with a dot.

I sometimes put the full stop in the wrong place so I know if I get a message in that format it's spam.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

:roll:

Just getting my eyeroll in early for the Brexit reactions tonight
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

RTE player.
What a croc of sh!t!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Rugby Union look like a jokeshop at the moment, thank you Nigel.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Peg Leg wrote:Rugby Union look like a jokeshop at the moment, thank you Nigel.
Got the vast majority of rugby results right over the weekend but certainly didn't see "Storm Mary Lou" on the horizon. Certainly looks like that one is going to change the entire landscape, possibly in more ways than we could ever expect.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Commentators getting players’ names wrong.

Virgin are currently showing the England v. Ireland from 2018, and I notice Alan Quinlan has the same habit as Toland where he refers to “Mario Toje”. That’s along with the usual ones like “Vunipolo”. It’s just so lazy. When you know you’re going to be broadcasting to hundreds of thousands of people, would you not bother to learn their names? Just follow the bloody letters!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Fully agree Twyst.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Pubs are full, wtaf is wrong with people
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:Pubs are full, wtaf is wrong with people
Not much. I'm surprised people were expecting uniform obedience to a govt edict/order. Like the blitz spirit is mostly a myth.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

paddyor wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:Pubs are full, wtaf is wrong with people
Not much. I'm surprised people were expecting uniform obedience to a govt edict/order. Like the blitz spirit is mostly a myth.
Tbh I didn’t know what to expect, but there’s something seriously wrong with a population that can’t stay at home for a bit during a global f%~king pandemic