Friday's rant

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Friday's rant

Post by Peg Leg »

Rubber Necking:
On the way in this morning (headed Northbound on the M50) there was a crash, resulting in a 4-5 car pile up on the southbound carraige. So obviously everyone headed south to slow down to have a good gawk, the result........ a 4-5 car pile up northbound. Both accidents within 1km of each other on opposite sides of the Blanch exit.
I know that the individual accidents are related to a drivers lack of concentration, but on a motorway, it can be difficult to gauge if the car in front in adjusting speed or standing on the brake pedal with 2 feet.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Muriel
Seán Cronin

Post by Muriel »

Wikipedia on blackout... How else am I going to prove I'm right?

Yes, I'm aware it's Wikipedia, and everything should be taken with a grain of salt, but anyway.
When I pulled my hamstring, I went to a misogynist. - Brittany (Glee)
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Muriel wrote:Wikipedia on blackout... How else am I going to prove I'm right?

Yes, I'm aware it's Wikipedia, and everything should be taken with a grain of salt, but anyway.

http://broadsheet.ie/sopa.html

broadsheet on blackout....how am i going to waste my day?

besides on here
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

If you press "esc" just after the page loads it will stop the jump to the blackout page. Or try using the mobile version (m.wikipedia.org)
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Muriel
Seán Cronin

Post by Muriel »

tate wrote:

If you press "esc" just after the page loads it will stop the jump to the blackout page. Or try using the mobile version (m.wikipedia.org)
You're very clever :D
When I pulled my hamstring, I went to a misogynist. - Brittany (Glee)
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Muriel wrote:
tate wrote:

You're very clever :D
I wouldn't quite say that, but I have decent google skills!! I'm doing exams at the moment, so this couldn't have come at a worse time. I must admit I had a mild ethical dilemma about what was in effect crossing the picket line but decided to ignore my morality lessons from school and look out for number 1!!
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

People who cycle right up behind you for miles when you're cycling home against wind and rain
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Tail gating fcuks!
And for what it's worth, anyone who tail gates me gets two things.
1. I won't move out of the way. (Especially, if it's heavy traffic and I'm going to be boxed in as a result)
2. I will slow down, when I have you boxed in and you can't pass.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

TerenureJim wrote:People who cycle right up behind you for miles when you're cycling home against wind and rain
That's out of order on their part. You should pull in and slow down so you can get your turn in their slip stream.

Today I'm mostly annoyed with the way the government treat the self employed who get nothing if they lose their jobs while junkie scum get everything handed to them without ever working a day in their lives.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

TerenureJim wrote:People who cycle right up behind you for miles when you're cycling home against wind and rain
i hate that, but hasn't happened in a long time (i've gotten fat and lazy).

however, if you're not slowing slightly to encourage him to help then you are at fault.

proper drafting technique is for the guy in front to slow (very slightly) allowing the guy behind to pull through. you then latch onto the back as he passes. he shouldn't have to speed up to overtake and put in his shift on the front. assuming a flat road and constant conditions, the speed of the group should not change if your doing it right.
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Greyhound's out of the blue bin charges.

Of course we all have a spare €100 lying around at this time of year.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Broken Wing wrote:Greyhound's out of the blue bin charges.

Of course we all have a spare €100 lying around at this time of year.
January is a month of renewal pain!
Daniel Sullivan
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

berniemac67 wrote:
i hate that, but hasn't happened in a long time (i've gotten fat and lazy).

however, if you're not slowing slightly to encourage him to help then you are at fault.

proper drafting technique is for the guy in front to slow (very slightly) allowing the guy behind to pull through. you then latch onto the back as he passes. he shouldn't have to speed up to overtake and put in his shift on the front. assuming a flat road and constant conditions, the speed of the group should not change if your doing it right.
Good call, I'm more of a put the foot to the pedal and tear away!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Also today's rant for me Gerry Thornley & Paddy Wallace.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschool wrote:Tail gating fcuks!
1. I won't move out of the way. (Especially, if it's heavy traffic and I'm going to be boxed in as a result)
Tailgating drives me mad, but I assume you'll move out of the way if you are progressing at a speed below the limit on the motorway?
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Chuck Norris signs on the line to put his name to the next expendables film.
He had just one condition......... the film must be ............. PG13 :shock:
How the fuk is Chuck gonna make heads explode Scanners styley if its PG13?
Daniel Sullivan
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

TerenureJim wrote:Also today's rant for me Gerry Thornley
He left his laptop and his manbag in my care very briefly in Prestwick airport on Sunday. I was very tempted to steal both and trump everyone in the pen-stealing stakes for ever amen.
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Peg Leg wrote:
Tailgating drives me mad, but I assume you'll move out of the way if you are progressing at a speed below the limit on the motorway?
My advice, and I've said it before. If someone is tailgating you on a motorway they are MUCH better off in front of you.

Doesn't matter if you are above or below the speed limit, or even doing double the limit. Someone is that close they belong in front of you having an accident with someone else, that you can drive past later.

Also the road is not a place to "teach someone a lesson" mainly because, guess what, they don't actually give a fock. Also because, they will never learn.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote:
I'll move out of the way, if it's anyway reasonable to do so. What I'm mainly getting at is the fcuker who is up your proverbial and you are in a continuous stream of traffic, maintaining group speed at safe distance and still the fcuker thinks you should fcuk yourself over so that he can move up one car in the queue.
Like hello he/she's in a hurry and I'm not!
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

johng wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
My advice, and I've said it before. If someone is tailgating you on a motorway they are MUCH better off in front of you.

Doesn't matter if you are above or below the speed limit, or even doing double the limit. Someone is that close they belong in front of you having an accident with someone else, that you can drive past later.

Also the road is not a place to "teach someone a lesson" mainly because, guess what, they don't actually give a fock. Also because, they will never learn.
Normally I'd agree with you, but I'm not about to pull into a lane at 80/90 from a lane at 120 and then try to get back out again. Slowing him up is the best approach and if he then want's to pass on the inside, then good luck to him, I'll gladly wave him on.
As it happens, the guy I'm talking about had nowhere to go as the inside lane was busy, but moving slower than the outside lane. The lane I was in was busy also and moving at higher speed. Moving from lane to lane was something to be avoided, because changing lanes at high speed in heavy traffic is seriously dangerous.
You're right this guy was just a fcukhead and didn't give a damn about the traffic conditions.
What I actually did in the end was slow down to match/slightly slower than the inside lane speed. He backed off a little bit, picked a spot to get into the inside lane. I slowed down a little more and let him back into the outside lane. He still wasn't happy with that and slowed down for about a mile, then took off.
I caught up with him in the normal way of these things a few miles later as the N11 and M50 merged. He was about 2 cars in front.
Neither his driver side indicator or brake light appeared to be working.
I should also add, that I do not like approaching the N11/M50 intersection on the inside lane for fairly obvious reason. Not to mention that it is recommended good driving practice to be in the outside lane in merging traffic situations.