for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: Movie Thread

Post by Donny B. »

cormac wrote:Think he means Once.
:lol:

Yeah, that makes a bit more sense alright.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Agree about Calvary. Got very excited when I saw the initial trailer but don't think that reflected what the film was really like, the reality was much slower and less funny than I'd expected. I still thought it was decent but was very much disappointed. Gleeson was fantastic though.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Agree about Calvary. Got very excited when I saw the initial trailer but don't think that reflected what the film was really like, the reality was much slower and less funny than I'd expected. I still thought it was decent but was very much disappointed. Gleeson was fantastic though.
Yeah, I think having the cast stacked with comedy actors(McSavage, Short, Dowd, Moran and Gleeson to some extent) suggested it would be funnier than it was. Not a bad film but not what I expected(black comedy), mostly just dark drama.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Donny B. wrote:
cormac wrote:Think he means Once.
:lol:

Yeah, that makes a bit more sense alright.
I seem to recall a doctored poster for that film, one heavily featuring Glenn Hansard, with a P scribbled in front of Once.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Nicholas cage in good movie shocker, Joe is excellent.

for knock about fun expendables is ok and inbetweeners 2 is a laugh but surely that is the end of the road for it.
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

"The Guest" Good fun. Quick.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Locke starring Tom Hardy. Claustrophobic, intense, brilliant.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

"A Most Wanted Man". Dense. Twenty minutes too long. Seymour Hoffman excellent, what a loss.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

FrankBurke wrote:"A Most Wanted Man". Dense. Twenty minutes too long. Seymour Hoffman excellent, what a loss.
As in stupid or full? :D
The Anathemata
Knowledgeable

Post by The Anathemata »

Re-watched Psy-Warriors, Contact and Penda's Fen, last night.

Alan Clarke, what an absolute genius, and monumental loss to film.

For the BBC to sanction Psy in 1981, given the situation taking place in Norn Iron, is quite frankly, amazing.
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Donny B. wrote:
FrankBurke wrote:"A Most Wanted Man". Dense. Twenty minutes too long. Seymour Hoffman excellent, what a loss.
As in stupid or full? :D
Full. From a book by John le Carre.
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

Anyone seen Sin City: A Dame to Die For yet?
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I think you will struggle to watch a better shot (or as the person who put this version up says) better staged film this or any year:
http://extension765.com/sdr/18-raiders
I only watched about 30 minutes of this while having lunch yesterday. Were I a real film buff I would have skived off to watch the lot.
The Anathemata
Knowledgeable

Post by The Anathemata »

Maps of the Stars...what a film...stunning companion piece to Lynch's MD and IE...Evan Bird...what a performance!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

honeyec wrote:Anyone seen Sin City: A Dame to Die For yet?
It's ok, they missed the mark in terms of recreating the tongue in cheek silliness of the first one, saying that though the middle story, A Dame To Kill for is pretty fantastic.
The Anathemata
Knowledgeable

Post by The Anathemata »

Just seen the trailer for PTA's take on Pynchon's IV.

Looks like just another poor man's homage to Cohen's Lebowski.

We'll see.

The Master was overindulgent, portentous clap-trap (which as a statement is itself quite portentous), so too were Magnolia and TWBB.

In retrospect, Boogie Nights and Hard Eight are all i really rate by him.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

The Anathemata wrote:
The Master was overindulgent, portentous clap-trap (which as a statement is itself quite portentous), so too were Magnolia and TWBB.
Would agree with you on The Master, but Magnolia is a personal favourite of mine and There Will be Blood is worthwhile just for Day Lewis's scenery chewing
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Donny B. wrote:
The Anathemata wrote:
Would agree with you on The Master, but Magnolia is a personal favourite of mine and There Will be Blood is worthwhile just for Day Lewis's scenery chewing
Without the performance of DDL There Will be Blood would be god awful. It's overlong and extremely dull but DDL makes it special.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

After 3 decades of Mission Impossible Tom Cruise finally delivers an action film worth watching in Edge of Tomorrow. It's kind of like ground hog day meets halo type alien invasion. If seeing him get shot in the face, squished by a truck or have his face melted off by some molten metal are your thing, this is the film for you. Action sequences are fairly decent and they don't over do the replayed scenes.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
The Anathemata
Knowledgeable

Post by The Anathemata »

TerenureJim wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
The Anathemata wrote:
Without the performance of DDL There Will be Blood would be god awful. It's overlong and extremely dull but DDL makes it special.
Agreed. PTA's stock and trade is in melodramatically interweaving the lives of a number of rather damaged individuals.
It will be interesting to see if he can pull of an offbeat comedy.