Box Sets... The Next One ???

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: Box Sets... The Next One ???

Post by Donny B. »

So FX renew The Strain and Tyrant, which are both garbage but have cancelled The Bridge, which had actually really improved in it's second season. :-(
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

is that it for love/hate?
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

JB1973 wrote:is that it for love/hate?
I hope so. A good show should know when to quit when it's ahead.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Donny B. wrote:So FX renew The Strain and Tyrant, which are both garbage but have cancelled The Bridge, which had actually really improved in it's second season. :-(
The Strain is annoying in parts but having watched the series through I actually think it's worth going back and taking a second look there Donny.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Donny B. wrote: The Newsroom has been wildly inconsistent, and that's me being kind.
The new series has started well, the first episode was a good watch
I have Bumbleflex
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Donny B. wrote: The Newsroom has been wildly inconsistent, and that's me being kind.
Haven't gotten into this, seems a bit preachy politically and/or aren't we great for reporting the news and sitting in judgement on everyone else's opinions that are patently wrong. That being said maybe that's just me misinterpreting the promotion of the series to date.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

TerenureJim wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Haven't gotten into this, seems a bit preachy politically and/or aren't we great for reporting the news and sitting in judgement on everyone else's opinions that are patently wrong. That being said maybe that's just me misinterpreting the promotion of the series to date.
You're not entirely inaccurate - my guess would be that if you don't have a political view similar to that of Aaron Sorkin then you're never going to get into this at all - and even if you do, then you also have to have a view of how television should be made thats similar to Aaron Sorkin. Thats a lot of prequalifiers.
I have Bumbleflex
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

The Knick anyone?
Clive Owen stars in this S Soderberg series, set in New Yorks Knickerbocker Hospital in the early 20th century. Gruesome, funky & fairly decent acting.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Peg Leg wrote:The Knick anyone?
Clive Owen stars in this S Soderberg series, set in New Yorks Knickerbocker Hospital in the early 20th century. Gruesome, funky & fairly decent acting.
Took me a while to get into it, but really enjoyed it in the end. Fascinating and at times hilarious what was considered "best medical practice" in those days. The final scene is a kicker too.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

TerenureJim wrote:
Donny B. wrote:So FX renew The Strain and Tyrant, which are both garbage but have cancelled The Bridge, which had actually really improved in it's second season. :-(
The Strain is annoying in parts but having watched the series through I actually think it's worth going back and taking a second look there Donny.
No thanks, I know some people are saying it's cheesy fun, but I just thought it was rubbish.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

TerenureJim wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Oh it's massively flawed alright and some of the characters are teeth-achingly annoying. But it's worth watching for Jeff Daniels
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Is the newsroom similar in its style to the west wing (which i tried for 15 episodes but could not take to)?
ie. new story that begins & ends with every episode, packed out with snappy unbelievable dialogue?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Anybody watch Boss season 2 with Kelsey Grammar? I liked Season 1 better than House of Cards (the two are eerily similar, but Boss is waaay grimier). Then they said they were dropping it, only for a change of heart. Haven't seen Se02 - has anyone?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

jezzer wrote:Anybody watch Boss season 2 with Kelsey Grammar? I liked Season 1 better than House of Cards (the two are eerily similar, but Boss is waaay grimier). Then they said they were dropping it, only for a change of heart. Haven't seen Se02 - has anyone?
Yeah season 2 was on a few years back. I loved it, but Starz cancelled it after two seasons. Grammer reckoned it was cancelled cause he's a right-wing nutter in real-life. More likely it was just a little too smart for the Starz audience which are very much in the "blood and tits" shows like Spartacus.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Peg Leg wrote:Is the newsroom similar in its style to the west wing (which i tried for 15 episodes but could not take to)?
ie. new story that begins & ends with every episode, packed out with snappy unbelievable dialogue?
Yep, that's pretty much what Sorkin delivers.

Personally I really enjoy it. I know what it is and I like it.
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

Donny B. wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:
No thanks, I know some people are saying it's cheesy fun, but I just thought it was rubbish.
Having read the books, I wholeheartedly endorse your choice, Donny.
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

ichabodscrane wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Anyone catch Gotham last night?
I like it, I've watched the first three episodes and it's an interesting twist. I didn't think the casting would work but I've been pleasantly surprised. What about yourself?

Been catching up with this show, I like it certainly worth a watch
Tonic Wine
Bookworm

Post by Tonic Wine »

The killing is a decent 8/10 show. Very well constructed
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Tonic Wine wrote:The killing is a decent 8/10 show. Very well constructed
I enjoyed it overall but found the ending frankly bizarre and wholly at odds with the mood of the rest of the show.
Show Spoiler:
There was never a hint of romance in the relationship between Linden and Holder but they seemed to just throw them together at the end for some sort of generic "happy ending".
Tonic Wine
Bookworm

Post by Tonic Wine »

Agreed.The newsroom season 1 was exceptional,season 2 wasn't as good.The maggie love story was cringe worthy