Box Sets... The Next One ???

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Amz
Mullet

Re: Box Sets... The Next One ???

Post by Amz »

I thought first episode was boring as bedamned (part one anyway). Not going to rush to watch more.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

domhnallj wrote:
Hippo wrote:Very disappointed with Fortitude, can't work up any enthusiasm to venture past episode four.
Neither can anyone else. Squeeky bum time at Sky Towers over this (apparently) given it cost them a fortune to produce - prepare for the subs to Sky to increase on the back of this flop.
Flop? Its a success in terms of viewers, critical reaction and sell-on. Its overnights are sound and its consolidated audience is huge at 292% of live! Only GOT gets more viewers on Sky Atlantic
I have Bumbleflex
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

It started well and has dropped viewers - my source was Private Eye which generally has a jaundiced view of TV but in this case I'm tempered to believe them.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

I stopped after Ep 3. Couldn't muster the enthusiasm to sit through another one. Didn't care about any of the characters, found it plodding and minimalist. I was quite sure there would be some fresh intrigue in the near future, but equally sure I wouldn't be around to watch it.

To be fair, they sold/promoted it very well up front, but the reality didn't match the hype.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

domhnallj wrote:It started well and has dropped viewers - my source was Private Eye which generally has a jaundiced view of TV but in this case I'm tempered to believe them.
Virtually very programme drops viewers between Pilot/First episode and the 2nd episode , but if you keep it within the industry rule of thumb of 20% you're okay.

Overnights used to be god, but now they're hardly of any use and crucially they are worthless wrt 16-40 year olds. Consolidated viewing figures, which attempt to measure every legal viewer are the key these days.

UK stations have had mixed results when they attempt to make scandi-noir. Wallander and Shetland have done well, others less so.

Ironically, its very hard to turn on a television in Scandanavia (well Denmark and Sweden at least) without bumping into an episode of Midsomer Murders! I was in Copenhagen for work a good few years ago and the previous night had overindulged on Carls Classic after watching Liverpool win a ECL pre-qualifier in the Dubliner. I was dying in my hotel room and managed, between Danish and Swedish TV to surf a 5 hour Midsomer wave!
I have Bumbleflex
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Anyone watching "Powers"?

Playstation Channel's first original content (at this stage I think Bord Gais will have a scripted drama out by the end of the year) and based on a well-regarded comic book series.

Kind of a cross between Watchmen and Heroes but quite a lot of fun with a cynical edge and a good cast.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Currently enjoying some travel docs hosted by Simon Reeve, I'd guess he's the type of presenter that could have a bit of a marmite reaction amongst viewers but for my money the following docs are all very interesting and worth seeking out:

- Equator
- Sacred Rivers
- Indian Ocean

His latest effort, the Caribbean, is currently screening on BBC2 in the old Top Gear Sunday evening slot I think.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Donny B. wrote:Bloodline is available now on Netflix.

From the producers of "Damages" and has a top-notch cast.

Good first episode anyway.
Have watched the first few episodes and it's very high quality.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

New true detective teaser out.... Giggidy goo.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States is on On Demand on Sky.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Peg Leg wrote:New true detective teaser out.... Giggidy goo.

Vince Vaughan? seems an odd choice to be in this??

GOT starts again Monday, cmon stannis sort those Boltons out once and for all
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

I'm surprised you're not all over DareDevil on Netflix
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

I'm sure it's come up before but myself and Mrs. Jim just started Love/Hate and just so seriously impressed. If you haven't caught it before I highly recommend going back and checking it out. It's not perfect but it's very enjoyable and 90% of the acting is top notch.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

RoboProp wrote:
I'm surprised you're not all over DareDevil on Netflix
Working through season 4 of boardwalk empire, Gotham on Mondays & GOT starting on Monday also..... Looking forward to DD though. Anyone catch the Asian thriller on Netflix (name escapes me)
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Blitzed through Daredevil. I have to say I enjoyed it. It's far and away the darkest Marvel Cinematic Universe production to date. Some really visceral fight scenes, while not the most explicit, you may feel uncomfortable watching them with the kids.

It's well acted for the most part, and in Donofrio's Kingpin you have the most rounded comic book villain you are ever likely to see. Hell, you even sympathise with the b$&%@#d for a brief while.
Well worth a watch for comic book fans and those that like a bit of pulpy noir
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Donny B. wrote:Bloodline is available now on Netflix.

From the producers of "Damages" and has a top-notch cast.

Good first episode anyway.
Up to epp 9 and it's really good.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

RoboProp wrote:Blitzed through Daredevil. I have to say I enjoyed it. It's far and away the darkest Marvel Cinematic Universe production to date. Some really visceral fight scenes, while not the most explicit, you may feel uncomfortable watching them with the kids.

It's well acted for the most part, and in Donofrio's Kingpin you have the most rounded comic book villain you are ever likely to see. Hell, you even sympathise with the b$&%@#d for a brief while.
Yeah, it's good but the fight scenes seem too choreographed and there's way too much unnecessary jumping and spinning around which really annoys me. It'd be a lot grittier and probably more realistic if he just leathered the cr@p out of the bad guys.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

jimbobjoe wrote:
RoboProp wrote:Blitzed through Daredevil. I have to say I enjoyed it. It's far and away the darkest Marvel Cinematic Universe production to date. Some really visceral fight scenes, while not the most explicit, you may feel uncomfortable watching them with the kids.

Yeah, it's good but the fight scenes seem too choreographed and there's way too much unnecessary jumping and spinning around which really annoys me. It'd be a lot grittier and probably more realistic if he just leathered the cr@p out of the bad guys.
In the books DD is meant to be an excellent gymnast/martial combatant, they may have gone more comicy trying to convey this, I was thinking more of the scenes when it's good old fashioned ground and pound and folks are just being teed off upon.. If that makes sense
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

RoboProp wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:

In the books DD is meant to be an excellent gymnast/martial combatant, they may have gone more comicy trying to convey this, I was thinking more of the scenes when it's good old fashioned ground and pound and folks are just being teed off upon.. If that makes sense
Ah I see.. Never read the books. I agree with you on those other scenes though..
Show Spoiler:
Especially when Fisk gets pissed off for the first time
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Quite enjoyed Peaky Blinders on Netflix. Though the Brummie accent grates, a bad brummie accent is very hard to listen to. All the same worth a watch.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am